Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:15 pm
I am 53 and have been on the depo since 1993 It is my opinion that due to this fact I have remained health and mentaly stable. I am going through menopause and do not have all the symptoms that go along with this fact of live. The depo keeps my emotions on an even level and I have not experienced hot flashes and all that unless the shot is late. Yesterday I went to Denver health to get my shot and this nurse's assistant decided that she was going to take me offf my shot. The bone mass loss test showed that I had a minimal amount of bone density loss which I know from talking to a PHD that is normal for my age. Trying to reason with this person was hopeless. I am not willing to go through all the trama of menopause at this time in my life. If and when I decide to stop the depo it will be my decision not some idiot that does not know how much of a life saver depo really is to me. I think that the company that makes depo should take it to the next level and do some reasearch on menopause and the shot, I would be willing to take part in this reasearch and educate the ignorant on the benifits.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,163 • Replies: 4
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:30 pm
How do you know you'd have any of the usual symptoms?

I went through menopause about 4 years ago, and didn't notice a thing except that my period stopped.

You started depo when you were 36, how in the world could you know how you'll respond to menopause?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:36 pm
@sherry weller,
Read my response in your other thread about depo and menopause.

The bone loss is a key indicator that it is indeed time for you to come off the depo. There are many other more effective ways to handle menopausal symptoms that don't also increase bone loss and the dangers of fractures in your skeletal system.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:40 pm
@sherry weller,
Quote:
minimal amount of bone density loss which I know from talking to a PHD that is normal for my age.

You aren't seriously trying to tell us that you are getting your medical advice about bone loss from a doctor of philosophy, are you?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:06 pm
I took medication . . . and, I no longer remember which one it was. . . for about a year when I was in peri-menopause. My progesterone levels were low and I had nearly continual periods. I dislike taking medication and, after several months, told my doctor that I wanted to try life without it. I was fine.

I noticed some changes post-menopause which included more plaque on my teeth and a sensitivity to my own sweat.

I never had hot flashes but not all women do.
0 Replies