3 hours in San Antonio with kids -- what to do?

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:50 am
I'm taking a whirlwind trip to Texas later this month and have a very short stop in San Antonio. I'll have two 9 year olds in tow -- Mo and his cousin, Monkey.

I thought about SeaWorld but I don't think we have enough time and don't really want to spend $150 for a few hours of fun. Same deal with the other theme parks.

We've done the Alamo before and I don't really want to do the Riverwalk with it's budget busting BUY ME tourist stuff.

I'm not quite sure what part of town we'll be in yet and that might make a difference but I've been looking at Dinosaur Quest and Natural Bridge Caverns as something to do.

Does anyone familiar with that area have ideas on a good, not too expensive way to kill a couple of hours?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,648 • Replies: 12
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:55 am
@boomerang,
The New Braunfels Children's Museum is good, but you'd probably eat up a good 30 minutes each way.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:56 am
@boomerang,
The San Antonio Zoo is really good.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:56 am
@boomerang,
Ripley's Believe it or Not!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:57 am
@boomerang,
Doesn't Mo like gardening? How about the Botanical Gardens?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
@boomerang,
http://www.sakids.org/home.aspx
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:25 am
Thank DrewDad! I'm going to check those things out.

I wish we'd be closer to New Braunfels because both Mo and Monkey love that funky snake farm there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:48 am
The aquarium is something you can do in about an hour, with a cafe in it. There is a small theme park just outside of it too. Easily 3 hours all together, close to major high ways too.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:06 am
2nd Ripley's.

There's no way you could end up in Austin instead Smile ?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:14 am
Thanks! I'll check those places out. It looks like we're going to be on the east side of San Antonio, not far from Ft. Sam Houston.

We're going to be in Austin for about 15 minutes when we pick up Monkey then we're all headed to Corpus Christi to a wedding with a short stop in S.A. while Mr. B has a business meeting. I think, in total, we're going to be in six different Texas locations in 10 days. We're going to need a vaction when we get home.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:19 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Thanks! I'll check those places out. It looks like we're going to be on the east side of San Antonio, not far from Ft. Sam Houston.

We're going to be in Austin for about 15 minutes when we pick up Monkey then we're all headed to Corpus Christi to a wedding with a short stop in S.A. while Mr. B has a business meeting. I think, in total, we're going to be in six different Texas locations in 10 days. We're going to need a vaction when we get home.

When is this? If it's the summer, man. Going to be scorching hot.

Just a warning, Corpus Christi will be one of the muggiest experiences of your life. Get ready. I went to a wedding there, and it was so damp, everything was damp - everything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:25 am
@boomerang,
You'll be going right through New Braunfels, if you're driving from Austin to San Antonio.

There's also Aquarena Center in San Marcos.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@boomerang,
Boomie take them to the Alamo, they are the right age to appreciate it. I love the Alamo, and of course there are the boat rides. They will love it.
0 Replies