Why do some people post their entire lives on Facebook?

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:54 pm
Some share EVERY detail of their lives. I find the busier I am the less time I have for FB.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 17,215 • Replies: 10
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:59 pm
@Mom in Texas,
They are wannabees. They want to attract someone who could help them get what they want fame, money, whatever.

But there is a danger for a deranged person using Facebook details could enter their lives and ruin them.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:04 pm
@Mom in Texas,
Good question.

Personally, I have no interest in forever updating my status on FB. I just send recommendations for news stories and articles to my FB front page and that's the extent of my FB business. However, I spend a lot of time here at a2k so I guess I can't really criticize those who spend too much time on FB.

I guess it's another level of technosocializing. We need a sociologist to proper analyze this FB and online social media craze (to be honest, of all the social sciences, I tend not to give sociology any respect for their general attempts at academic community based social analysis).
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:24 pm
@Mom in Texas,
Mom in Texas wrote:

Some share EVERY detail of their lives. I find the busier I am the less time I have for FB.
Some has a compulsive need to exebition themselves in different ways.

Some do it by flashing expensive cloth, fancy cars, big residents, or by video or writings.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:35 pm
I guess what we don't understand , we condemn.

People post "a lot," but to claim they post "everything" is a bit of an exaggeration. It seems that someone who has a different threshold of comfort with sharing is reduced to being naive or foolish. I don't agree.

I think social networking is more than a "craze" or fad. It is in effect now a part of our social evolution. Other things will come someday, and when they do, we will move to them.

I find very little shocking about the way people use facebook. I'm hardly concerned. I think it's making a generation that is more transparent than previous ones. It's not like people are doing anything new, it's just being documented differently.

I don't worry about about the person who has the picture of them available to everyone. I worry about the person who has the picture hidden.

A
R
T
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:52 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
I don't worry about about the person who has the picture of them available to everyone. I worry about the person who has the picture hidden.

Funny you should say that. I was just thinking I should remove my picture from facebook.
I teach in a prison. For some stupid reason they put both our first and last names on our id's. Yesterday, one of the men who always communicates with me in an inappropriately flirty but not over the line harrassing way, happened to catch sight of my id, which I usually take care to turn on it's little plastic strap so that my name and picture are facing my body. He saw my last name and he was saying, loud enough for everyone in the room to hear,
Hmmmm, 'Rebecca _______. I bet there aren't very many American teachers living in this area named Rebecca ________. Shouldn't be too hard for me to find you when I get out in February. You'll wait for me Miss, won't you?'

We were doing dictionary work so I said - "Do me a favor Joel - look up the definition of 'out or your mind' and copy it 100 times - then use the phrase correctly in a sentence.'

I'm not afraid of him - not at all - but I sure as hell don't want him to have access to any of my personal details, friends, family or thoughts.

So - yeah - there are reasons to hide your picture that make sense.

I find that a whole lot less worrying than someone who goes on there and talks about their endometriosis or how many shits their dog takes in a day...what the hell?
(I once told my sister I had a chili dog on facebook - and she LIKED that).

Laughing Laughing
Life just gets stranger and stranger.
failures art

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:59 pm
@aidan,
What you're talking about is much different aidan. You don't have to remove your picture. You can simply restrict limited access to people who aren't your friends. Additionally, unless you're putting your address up, what would someone do with your pictures?

If they already know you're a teacher, and know you're name, any threat you'd face doesn't come from facebook.

BTW, I'd like to know why they put both of your names on your badges too! That DOES seem like a terrible security practice.

A
R
T
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:12 pm
@failures art,
Yeah - I don't get it- we're not allowed to give them any personal information about where we live, our family situation, etc., etc....but then they have our full name to google or look up in the phone book - DUH!

Well, I don't have my full address on facebook - but I do have the name of my village and it's a small village. Anyone would just have to go into the corner shop and say to Simon and/or Sophie (the people who run it - that's how small the village is)-' Do you know where Rebecca _______, the American woman lives? I'm her friend and I'm going to her house for lunch and I'm lost....'

I guess I need to take the name of the village off my facebook - and as you said - adjust the privacy settings.
0 Replies

EGV

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:32 am
@failures art,
I'm so interested in knowing when someone checks in at Starbucks. Or that Tiffany has a headache. Or OMG like it's cold outside.

I'm in my late 50's, I've been around the block a couple of times and I can assure you that this is nothing more than a quickly passing phase.
0 Replies

goranko

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 12:02 pm
@Mom in Texas,
They want to be famous.
0 Replies

Lydia Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:04 pm
Ummm. I have facebook, twitter and other accounts but I only choosing shows some part of my life on them...the privacy of all these sns stuffs is quite annoy.

I think its maybe their lifestyle, they don't care what other people's thinking about them and they just do whatever they want in their zone-aka-facebook or others.
0 Replies