Berlin...what to do? Where to try to stay (which area)

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:23 am
Any of you know much about Berlin today?

We'll be there for a few days in late September.

We are interested in art, history, politics, architecture (both old and interesting modern), just hanging out in interesting places and soaking up the atmosphere, cheapish interesting food.

I am interested in holocaust sites.

We are budget travellers, but not back-packers...we need some comfort.

How much will I need to brush up my pidgin German?

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:29 am
@dlowan,

You will get by okay in English, but a little smattering of German is certainly useful.

We stayed in an interesting little private hotel off the Ku'damm, three years ago.
I don't know your budget, but I can send detaile is you like.
Probably better to look online, for a spread of choice.

(edit) This is the one:

http://www.hotelartnouveau.de/index.php?id=2&L=1
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:59 am
@McTag,
Sorry, by where I don't mean actual building (the one you mentioned is way above our budget) but what area of the city.

Unless someone knows somewhere really nice at half those rates (the cheapest possibility there came to $271 AUD per night.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:47 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Sorry, by where I don't mean actual building (the one you mentioned is way above our budget) but what area of the city.

Unless someone knows somewhere really nice at half those rates (the cheapest possibility there came to $271 AUD
per night.)
Have u considered such firms as Travelocity or Priceline
to get u discounts ?

I don 't know whether thay work, nor how well.

David
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No...we can manage via the net quite well, thank you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:52 am
@dlowan,
Good Luck.
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 05:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 06:31 am

There are sites for people who have a room (or just a bed!) to share for travellers, in a private apartment. I read about it in the paper.

Google something like "share rooms, Berlin" or something similar.

I'll do some scouting around, later.

East of Potsdamer Platz will be cheaper. I'll ask Walter, too.
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 06:44 am
@McTag,
Hon....I really don't need help with the accommodation....I am interested in what part of the city, eg in relation to most interesting/easiest to access stuff from is good to stay in, and what are good things to see.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 06:59 am
@dlowan,
Bottom line - the more convenient locations will be too expensive. Berlin's an expensive city in a non inexpensive country.

Get a handle on the transit system there before you go - you'll need it to get into the parts of town that interest you. Be very wary re pickpocketers on transit - Berlin's famous/infamous for same.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:56 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Any of you know much about Berlin today?

We'll be there for a few days in late September.

We are interested in art, history, politics, architecture (both old and interesting modern), just hanging out in interesting places and soaking up the atmosphere, cheapish interesting food.

Well, I do know a bit - as do others, with the little difference that I've been in Berlin since 1967 a couple of times.

Interesting places, with atmosphere, are a couple around there - all depends in what you're looking for.

dlowan wrote:

I am interested in holocaust sites.

How much will I need to brush up my pidgin German?

Holocaust would be the KZ Oranienburg - which might be of double interest since it was a GDR/Russian prison camp after the war as well.

English will be fine, even Australian English.

I would look for 'guesthouses' (German "Pensionen") outside the state boundry of Berlin, like in ... well, Oranienburg or even Potsdam (which really should be visited, too!).

The commuter trains run frequently, day tickets include buses and tubes in Berlin as well.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Just thinking that it's only a four hours drive from here to Berlin .... Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:12 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Hon....I really don't need help with the accommodation....I am interested in what part of the city, eg in relation to most interesting/easiest to access stuff from is good to stay in, and what are good things to see.

Don't shout. And, I was misled by this, perhaps understandably:

Quote:

Canal trips and river trips are good.
Read a guide book.
Unter den Linden from the Brandenburg Gate is full of interest.
Museums there are great.
Don't reckon on getting inside the Reichstag unless you want to queue for hours.
There's a fabulous big beer garden by a lake in the Tiergarten. Very popular in good weather, they serve great fast food- in great quantity.

You'll love it!
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:24 am
@dlowan,
go to the official website of the berlin tourist office and you'll pretty well will find any information you might want :

http://www.berlin-tourist-information.de/index.en.php

also get a GOOD guidebook to plan your trip .

GUARD your purse , money , passport etc. - one of those " necksafes " is highly recommended - even though it is bulky .

and bring money Shocked Laughing
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:21 pm
@hamburgboy,
Blimey.

It's starting to seem not such a good idea to go!!! Very expensive, pickpockets!!!
McTag

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:25 pm
@dlowan,

Europe is full of foreigners. It's something you have to get used to.
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:46 pm
@McTag,
Oh, I expect it in lots of places (the pickpockets) but it just seems kind of un-German! Friends who have lived in Germany for years hadn't warned me about that.

I "shouted" at you because you ignored my first clarifying post.

The Tiergarten you mention...is it sausagey and meaty, are there places to get light, fresh food (neither of us "does" sausages or meat much....or cabbage and such neither....where I live has s quite a strong German tradition, and the food isn't an attraction for me) I assume Berlin has a thriving multi-cultural food scene?

Any museums in particular you liked?
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:52 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Bottom line - the more convenient locations will be too expensive. Berlin's an expensive city in a non inexpensive country.

Get a handle on the transit system there before you go - you'll need it to get into the parts of town that interest you. Be very wary re pickpocketers on transit - Berlin's famous/infamous for same.

Other than crime on the transit system is it easy and convenient?

(Almost everywhere is compared with here!)
McTag

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 04:08 pm
@dlowan,

Quote:
Any museums in particular you liked?

The Pergamon Museum is stunning, do not fail to go there.

Also, go in the food hall at the KaDeWe department store. It is unbelieveable, and they have a good restaurant with great views from up there.

There is a good display at the remaining bit of the Berlin Wall, a kind of a museum and information centre.

Checkpoint Charlie is near there, interesting if a bit of a tourist magnet, and quite near the Reichstag there is the very large and recently-constructed memorial to the victims of the Nazis, together with an underground display and information.
That's worth visiting, particularly since you expressed an interest in that period / topic.

All of these places can be easily reached on foot, from each other.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 04:10 pm
@dlowan,

Quote:
The Tiergarten you mention...is it sausagey and meaty, are there places to get light, fresh food (neither of us "does" sausages or meat much....

I seem to remember fresh pizza, and pasta.....but after four or five litres of beer, you won't notice what you're eating.