What if Your Wife Had Been Born Male (and you did not know that)

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:04 pm
The case of a Wharton volunteer firefighter who died in the July 3 Maxim Egg Farm blaze near Boling has taken a new twist, according to a story published online by the El Campo Leader-News and Wharton Journal-Spectator.

Capt. Thomas Araguz III's ex-wife and mother have filed suit seeking to dissolve his marriage to Nikki Araguz on grounds that he was unaware his widow was born a man.

"My husband and I loved each other very, very much," Nikki Araguz told the Houston Chronicle on Sunday. "We had a completely honest marriage, a 100 percent loving, honest marriage."

His mother, Simona Rodriguez Longoria, filed documents July 12 in Wharton County's 329th District Court. His ex-wife, Heather Delgado, filed July 14, according to the Leader-News report.

District Judge Randy Clapp has granted a temporary restraining order freezing all of the couple's assets. He has set a hearing for Friday.

Araguz divorced Delgado on July 3, 2008, according to the newspapers' report. He married Nikki Araguz on Aug. 23, 2008.

The newspapers' report quotes the suit: "Unknown to (Thomas Araguz), Nikki Paige Purdue was born Justin Graham Purdue, a male, in Monterey County, Calif."

Nikki Araguz ran for mayor of Wharton this year, but lost to a retired volunteer firefighter, the newspapers reported.

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Bigotry and greed come in all different flavors I guess. It sure looks like the mother and his previous exwife are just pathetic opportunists so they can grab any inheritance.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:15 pm
This is non-story... a couple of money grabbing jerks. I hope they get slapped down.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Specifically, in regards to this story, I would agree what others have already said, but...

edgarblythe wrote:
What if Your Wife Had Been Born Male (and you did not know that)

... in this case, if it had happened to me, and I found out after the fact, I'm not honestly sure how I would react. Obviously, very surprised.

I'm hoping that these sort of discussions would take place before the marriage. I think it needs to be talked about in order to have a completely open and honest marriage.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:43 pm
@Reyn,
His wife should certainly have told him that she was a male. He has a legitimate interest in knowing, to say the least.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:54 pm
@Reyn,
The problem of this marriage is that how do we know he didn't know already. You can't ask a dead person can you?

How do we know that he didn't already know of this fact and yet just didn't televise the fact to his family and the rest of the world?

For all we know, they still lived an honest marriage. No one else needs to no these details. None of their business.

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
For all we know, they still lived an honest marriage. No one else needs to no these details. None of their business.

Yes, this may very well be the case, and I 100% agree, but I think Edgar was alluding to asking us what we would do/feel, if this had happened to us personally, if we we found out after the fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:23 pm
I just wondered what everyone thought about it and if they wanted to tell how they would act if it happened to them, that might also be interesting. As tsars said, we don't really know what the husband knew. Which to me blows holes in his exwife's case.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:24 pm
Ok

i see another aspect to this story and that is that the man was obviously cheating with wife number one, because he married wife number 2 a little over 30 days after their divorce.

Of course the first wife is jaded. She didnt keep he husband, the other woman did. She sees another opportunity to jab at them and she does so.

makes sense to me.

But, throw in the bigotry.....and you have a rotten plate of apples.
THe man was obviously NOT into the marriage if he was able to cheat. Anyone who says otherwise is really confused. You dont cheat with you are partnered with the right person.(just my opinion) But husband was gay.
If he knew she was born a man, he I would guess , had homosexual tendencies. Most hetro males will not date someone who was born another sex if they know about it

YES that is ONE BIG BROAD statement.. I understand that. But Im putting it out there anyway.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:25 pm
@shewolfnm,
I don't know enough to say yea or nay, shewolf.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:27 pm
must have been one hell of a reconstructive surgery job, if he didn't know
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:28 pm
@djjd62,
You got that right.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 06:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I just wondered what everyone thought about it and if they wanted to tell how they would act if it happened to them, that might also be interesting. ...

Yes, I thought that's what you meant. Wink

If it were me, I don't know if I could give a 100% answer, as I think it's one of those things that you have to go through.

Having said that, my speculation would be that, once I got over the initial surprise and shock, that I could accept the situation. There was obviously something that would have drew us together in the first place.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 06:30 pm
As djjd, I think, pointed out, you would almost certainly spot some differences in anatomy before the romance went far. I would not feel an attraction, I think, but, who knows ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 06:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
How do we know that he didn't already know of this fact and yet just didn't televise the fact to his family and the rest of the world?

Preferkingcisely.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 06:37 pm
@dlowan,
That seems to be the most likely explanation.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 07:42 pm
It seems a strange co-incidence that he died on the 2nd anniversary of his divorce from his first wife. Rather chilling.

This is an odd story. Captain Araguz was only 30 when he died and 28 when he married his second wife. I would think that a man that young would be well acquainted with the plumbing of a person he was about to marry.

Perhaps, shewolf is correct that he cheated on his first wife, but, perhaps, there is much more to the story. I can come up with three or four variations without trying too hard.

I also wonder how Mom and Ex "knew" Nikki was born Justin. Had they hired a private detective? Had the Ex wanted to remain married? And while Araguz had to have been "in the prime of life," what his mother doing? The little this story reveals makes her sound too involved in her son's marriage.

I wonder what Mom and the Ex would have done had Captain Araguz not been killed. My computer is slow and any stories on this matter simply are not opening.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 09:11 pm
It's fuzzy, of course, but this link includes a photo allegedly of Nikki:

http://www.leader-news.com/articles/2010/07/17/news/doc4c40cabd2089a743455136.txt
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 09:24 pm
Answer: automatic divorce...and I don't generally believe in divorce.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:40 am
This story gets a lot of play, since it is local. The widow said that the final surgery was done after she and her husband got together.

In some places, all this might not be a big deal, legally speaking. But, Texas law may not allow for the marriage to be legal. A judge has frozen all of the assets from the marriage, pending further decisions.