UK wheel offers views of Paris

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:23 pm
Quote:
Tourists using a Ferris wheel that offers panoramic views of the UK's industrial heartland have been surprised by a French commentary inviting them to admire the River Seine and the Eiffel Tower.
The firm that operates the Birmingham Wheel is blaming the mix-up on technical problems it said were the result of moving the 60-metres-high attraction from its former home in Paris.

A spokesman for World Tourist Attractions, which owns the wheel, said: "We were planning to remove the French commentary and replace it with facts and figures about the wheel of Birmingham, and the city, in English.

"Unfortunately, there have been complex technical difficulties that have meant that we cannot now do this within the time that the wheel is in Birmingham."

The firm is promising to remove the French commentary as soon as possible to prevent confusion.

The wheel, which has so far attracted 24,000 visitors, was assembled in Birmingham's Centenary Square last month.

It offers a 15-minute ride in 42 six-seater gondolas that offer views across Birmingham and the Black Country and into the countryside beyond.

The attraction is open to the public until the end of January when it will be moved to another site.

source:BBC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 652 • Replies: 6
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:50 am
I went on that said wheel a few days ago, with a few bemused friends (bemused as to what the signs were saying.) I said, Oh, they're telling us to look at the various sights of Paris. They said, 'Paris?,' and I replied, 'Well, if you look carefully to your right...'

Really, we should be able to expect big consortiums to get their country right..
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:27 pm
Question
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:05 pm
I expect they play the WHO singing ------ "I Can See For Miles & Miles"

England Rules Steve. Get the t-shirt quick
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:10 pm
oldandknew wrote:
I expect they play the WHO singing ------ "I Can See For Miles & Miles"

However, if they still use the "Paris version", it surely will be "The White Cliffs of Dover" Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:13 pm
Possibly Walter, but that might upset Paris & Berlin & cause the cross channel ferries to be grounded
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:52 pm
oldandknew wrote:
Possibly Walter, but that might upset Paris & Berlin & cause the cross channel ferries to be grounded

The latter would be a delight for EUROTUNNEL! :wink:

(And the first - just a smaller 'encore'. Laughing )
0 Replies