HISTORY FORGOTTEN ???

husker

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 01:22 pm
Quote:
HISTORY FORGOTTEN

This is worth remembering, because it is true. It's familiar territory, but those of you that graduated from school after the early 60's were probably never taught this. Our courts have seen to that!

Did you know that 52 of the 55 signers of "The Declaration of Independence" were orthodox, deeply committed, Christians?
That they all believed in the Bible as the divine truth, the God of scripture, and His personal intervention. It is the same Congress that formed the American Bible Society, immediately after creating the Declaration of Independence, the Continental Congress voted to purchase and import 20,000 copies of Scripture for the people of this nation.

Patrick Henry, who is called the firebrand of the American Revolution, is still remembered for his words, "Give me liberty or give me death"; but in current textbooks, the context of these words is omitted. Here is what he actually said: "An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the
destinies of nations. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

These sentences have been erased from our textbooks. Was Patrick Henry a Christian? The following year, 1776, he wrote this: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here."

Consider these words that Thomas Jefferson wrote in the front of his well-worn Bible: "I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our creator." He was also the chairman of the American Bible Society, which he considered his highest and most important role.

On July 4, 1821, President Adams said, "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: "It connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."

Calvin Coolidge, our 30th President of the United States reaffirmed this truth when he wrote, "The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country."

In 1782, the United States Congress voted this resolution: "The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools."

William Holmes McGuffey is the author of the McGuffey Reader, which was used for over 100 years in our public schools with over 125 million copies sold until it was stopped in 1963. President Lincoln called him the "Schoolmaster of the Nation."
Listen to these words of Mr. McGuffey: "The Christian religion is the religion of our country. From it are derived our nation, on the character of God, on the great moral Governor of the universe. On its doctrines are founded the peculiarities of our free Institutions. From no source has the author drawn more conspicuously than from the sacred Scriptures. From all these extracts from the Bible, I make no apology."

Of the first 108 universities founded in America, 106 were distinctly Christian, including the first, Harvard University, chartered in 1636. In the original Harvard Student Handbook, rule number 1 was that students seeking entrance must know Latin and Greek so that they could study the Scriptures: "Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies, is, to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life, John 17:3; and therefore to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation for our children to follow the moral principles of the Ten Commandments."

James Madison, the primary author of the Constitution of the United States, said this: "We have staked the whole future of all our political constitutions upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of theTen Commandments."

Today, we are asking God to bless America. But, how can He bless a Nation that has departed so far from Him? Prior to September 11, He was not welcome in America. Most of what you read in this article has been erased from our textbooks. Revisionists have rewritten history to remove the truth about our country's Christian roots.

You are encouraged to share with others, so that the truth of our nation's history will be told.

This information shared is only a drop of cement to help secure a foundation that is crumbling daily in a losing war that most of
the country doesn't even know is raging on, in, and around them...

Rick Coyle
Northern Broadcasting System
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,198 • Replies: 16
No top replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 02:42 pm
wasn't thomas jefferson a deist?

anybody know where i can find congressional transcripts? i was trying to searching for the transcript for, i believe, the chinese exclusion act. i remember hearing that one senator said something to the effect of "today we decide if we are to be a nation of christ or a nation of confucious."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 02:43 pm
ye110man, try http://www.loc.gov -- the Library of Congress. If they don't have it, they may well have a link.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 02:49 pm
ye110man wrote:
wasn't thomas jefferson a deist?

anybody know where i can find congressional transcripts? i was trying to searching for the transcript for, i believe, the chinese exclusion act. i remember hearing that one senator said something to the effect of "today we decide if we are to be a nation of christ or a nation of confucious."

I'm looking for the real info myself - I could be wrong too - I thought he was a Diest also. It would be interesting to try and track down as many points as possible. I figure there are a couple people here that might look for the real facts.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 04:35 pm
i did a little research. even christians admit that thomas jefferson, at some point in his life, could no longer be considered a christian.

searching on google i found that many "facts" in that article have only 1 source; that article. that thomas jefferson was chairman of the american bible society is one of those.
the 1st president of the american bible society deeply dispised jefferson's secularism so i doubt that jefferson was ever chairman.

i found a little info about that 1st paragraph about congress importing bibles.
Quote:
England refused permission to the American colonies to print the sacred text on the new continent. All Bibles were imported from the mother country. Appropriate taxes and revenues could be charged. The successful revolution and independence from England signaled a new era for printing Bibles. The Continental Congress resolved with no success to import 20,000 Bibles from Holland or Scotland.

so sure there were the christians but i think that a large number of the founding fathers were unitarians at best. i suspect that's what jefferson meant by "i am a REAL christian."

all believed in the creator but there is sufficient evidence to prove that at least thomas jefferson, thomas paine, and benjamin franklin were not christians.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:22 pm
Yeah, I knew that just about everyone was Christian then, and orthodox - but did you know that times have changed?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:50 am
If most of what the article claims was "erased" from textbooks, where did Rick Coyle come up with it?

Could it be that he is doing a little revisionist history writing himself?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
So what. Everyone was religious at that time. Doesn't change the fact that's it's all a crock of ****.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:41 pm
Hey there Husker! I'm a Buddhist. Should I leave the country? Maybe we should get all the Jews out of here as well. Not to mention Muslims, Hindis and other non-Christian faiths! You failed to mention that Ben Frankiln was an agnostic!

So, what's your ppint?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:45 pm
Link to Jefferson

Another interesting link on Jefferson and religion

Quote:
In Virginia, the American Revolution led to the disestablishment of the Anglican Church, which had been tied closely to the royal government. Then the question arose as to whether the new state should continue to impose taxes to be used for the support of all recognized churches. The proposal had a number of supporters who, even if they no longer accepted an established church, still believed that religion should be supported by the public purse.

For some Virginians, however, imposing religion on people smacked of tyranny. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, both of whom would later be president of the United States, argued that religious beliefs should be solely matters of individual conscience and completely immune from any interference by the state. Moreover, religious activity of any sort should be wholly voluntary. Not only did they oppose taxing people to support an established church, but they also objected to forcing people to pay taxes even for their own church. To Jefferson, a high wall of separation should always keep church and state apart.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:27 pm
NickFun wrote:
Hey there Husker! I'm a Buddhist. Should I leave the country? Maybe we should get all the Jews out of here as well. Not to mention Muslims, Hindis and other non-Christian faiths! You failed to mention that Ben Frankiln was an agnostic!

So, what's your ppint?

Nickfun what's yer point? Did I make any slanderous remarks? Did I personnally put down Buddism? I don't think so.........
Look closely I didn't write the article. I want to see it get chewed on, I'm not chewing on you, if BF was not in the article - no problem for me.
But please there might be some difference between agnostic and atheist, but don't ask Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:18 pm
Goddam frost delays. They suck!

But...back to business:

Rick Coyle is right.

All that crap is true.

But it is also true that this country was founded in part on the principle that some human beings were inferior -- and could be kept as slaves.

Some were inferior -- and could be kept barefoot and pregnant.

Just as I am sure there was a majority of the founding fathers that considered this country as haaving been founded by Christiand for Christians -- they also considered it founded by white males for white males -- with women and people of color out there with non-Christians.

BOTTOM LINE: (Much as I hate to acknowledge this) the country WAS founded on Christian principles for the benefit of WHITE MEN -- wealthy, land owning white men at that.

That ain't the way it is now -- and what a bunch of wealthy white men might have thought 250 years ago really is not all that important right now.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:17 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Rick Coyle is right.

All that crap is true.

Not all of that crap is true Frank. Some of the crap is just crap. The James Madison and 2nd Patrick Henry quotes are phonies.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:21 pm
mesquite wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Rick Coyle is right.

All that crap is true.

Not all of that crap is true Frank. Some of the crap is just crap. The James Madison and 2nd Patrick Henry quotes are phonies.

Oops!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 05:45 pm
Sure, but you seem to be evading the most important point: The Americans were protestant Christians, and weren't allowed to worship under their sect without persecution in England (not to mention many other countries.) This is why it was so important to the founders to leave religious choice up to the people - the framers wanted to go as far away from the religious tyrrany in Britain as possible. That is why our laws are so sensitive to religious choice, and why our government is rooted in the belief that it has the consent of its people. If the government has an official religion or sect, it is not doing that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 05:59 pm
Portal Star wrote:
Sure, but you seem to be evading the most important point: The Americans were protestant Christians, and weren't allowed to worship under their sect without persecution in England (not to mention many other countries.) This is why it was so important to the founders to leave religious choice up to the people - the framers wanted to go as far away from the religious tyrrany in Britain as possible. That is why are laws are so sensitive to religious choice, and why our government is rooted in the belief that it has the consent of its people. If the government has an official religion or sect, it is not doing that.

Quote:

America: Not a Christian Nation!
by Dean Worbois
from the PostFun Home Page

No one disputes the faith of our Founding Fathers. To speak of unalienable Rights being endowed by a Creator certainly shows a sensitivity to our spiritual selves. What is surprising is when fundamentalist Christians think the Founding Fathers' faith had anything to do with the Bible. Without exception, the faith of our Founding Fathers was deist, not theist. It was best expressed earlier in the Declaration of Independence, when they spoke of "the Laws of Nature" and of "Nature's God."

In a sermon of October 1831, Episcopalian minister Bird Wilson said, "Among all of our Presidents, from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."

The Bible? Here is what our Founding Fathers wrote about Bible-based Christianity:

Thomas Jefferson: "I have examined all the known superstitions of the word, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth."
-- Six Historic Americans by John E. Remsburg, letter to William Short

Jefferson again: "Christianity...(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on man. ...Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus."

More Jefferson: "The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.

Jefferson's word for the Bible? "Dunghill."
[Editor's note: Jefferson used this word to describe what he considered false teachings placed into the mouth of Christ, as opposed to what he considered the true teachings of Christ. He never used this word to describe the entire Bible.]

John Adams: "Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of other trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?"

Also Adams: "The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli. Article 11 states: "The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

Here's Thomas Paine: "I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)." "Among the most detestable villains in history, you could not find one worse than Moses. Here is an order, attributed to 'God' to butcher the boys, to massacre the mothers and to debauch and rape the daughters. I would not dare so dishonor my Creator's name by (attaching) it to this filthy book (the Bible)." "It is the duty of every true Deist to vindicate the moral justice of God against the evils of the Bible." "Accustom a people to believe that priests and clergy can forgive sins...and you will have sins in abundance." And; "The Christian church has set up a religion of pomp and revenue in pretended imitation of a person (Jesus) who lived a life of poverty."

Finally let's hear from James Madison: "What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy." Madison objected to state-supported chaplains in Congress and to the exemption of churches from taxation. He wrote: "Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."

These founding fathers were a reflection of the American population. Having escaped from the state-established religions of Europe, only 7% of the people in the 13 colonies belonged to a church when the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Among those who confuse Christianity with the founding of America, the rise of conservative Baptists is one of the more interesting developments. The Baptists believed God's authority came from the people, not the priesthood, and they had been persecuted for this belief. It was they -- the Baptists -- who were instrumental in securing the separation of church and state. They knew you can not have a "one-way wall" that lets religion into government but that does not let it out. They knew no religion is capable of handling political power without becoming corrupted by it. And, perhaps, they knew it was Christ himself who first proposed the separation of church and state: "Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto the Lord that which is the Lord's."

In the last five years the Baptists have been taken over by a fundamentalist faction that insists authority comes from the Bible and that the individual must accept the interpretation of the Bible from a higher authority. These usurpers of the Baptist faith are those who insist they should meddle in the affairs of the government and it is they who insist the government should meddle in the beliefs of individuals.

The price of Liberty is constant vigilance, folks. Religious fundamentalism and zealous patriotism have always been the forces which require the greatest attention.

© 1994 Worbois
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 06:17 pm
No links. Each individual must decide for himself.

Husker, do you mean that I memorized Patrick Henry's speech, and it's been revised? Oh, dear.

Thomas Jefferson was the most beautiful writer that I have ever read. My advisor at UVA said that no PhD should be called "doctor" because Mr. Jefferson was just Mr. Jefferson. Now that's a crock, Wilso.

Goodnight and don't fight........

From Florida
0 Replies