national anthems, why ?

margo

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:50 pm
John, we are indeed privileged to have Prince Harry, the younger son of the heir to Queen Elizabeth, Queen of Australia, visit us! Confused

Yet another booze-soaked, blithering, often oafish, Pom in his gap year! And from his family, wit and good-natured banter is the last thing to expect.

Some small hope for a republic here. The reason the current (conservative, monarchist) government has been in power so long (or one of the reasons) is because the Opposition has been a complete non-event.

This week, there's been yet another leadership challenge, and, instead of recycling the other leadership non-event, they actually picked someone young (-ish), outspoken, with policies. One of his policies is to bring on the republic! There's due to be an election next year, and while this fellow may not get to overthrow the incumbents, he'll certainly change the face of politics here.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:51 pm
Drom ------- It has been said the britain is a large historical theme park, with the royal family as it's hub. I feel that if britain became a republic, then the royal family becomes HISTORY. Thus our history gets a lot bigger at a single stroke. The theme park analogy takes on greater meaning. So not only lots more tourists but plane loads of historians both ancient & modern & lots of politicians from euroland grinding an axe or two. What would a Princess Di coffee mug be worth or a video of Prince Chuck & Mrs Parker Bowels be worth in the new order of things.
Britain would be overwhelmed with offers and incentives from around the world.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:55 pm
I think you, the rest of A2K and I should take over Australia in a 'velvet revolution,' and replace the (disgusting tax-burdens that are the) Royal Family with... hmm, a president?! As bad as Howard may be, he'd be better than an unelected head of state and her wonderful representative in Australia.

I hope this guy wins... why should some random Englander be head of Australia, so different and so far away? And why should Australia pay for them to come over here? And have flunkies throw themselves at their feet.

Grrr.

As a rough guess, what percentage of people do you think would advocate a republic?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:42 pm
I'd reckon that 70% or more of the population of Oz are for a republic.

The conservative govenrment carefully phrased the options, in the referendum held a cuppla years ago, so that either was unattractive, and it was defeated.

If they'd just asked "hey, do youse wanna republic? the results would have been overwhelming! Why do you think they didn't ask that question???? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:19 pm
margo wrote:
When Oz decided we were sick of asking god to save this bloody British queen (and her awful family), there was a referendum to select the most suitable national anthem.

The one selected, Advance Australia Fair, is a bit of a dirge, with archaic references ("our land is girt by sea"). We dropped the bit about "when gallant Cook from Albion sailed" , and "true British courage...".

As anthems go, it's....just OK. But we have it. I have to admit, it wasn't until I reached high school that I realised that it wasn't the national anthem. In primary school, I was taught by Irish nuns, and they sure weren't having any of that "queen" nonsense. AAF was what we sang at assemblies, etc.

The other serious candidate for national anthem, however, was Waltzing Matilda. Seems suitable - a story about a sheep stealer, who suicided rather than be arrested Confused By far the most popular Oz song. Although it was blitzed by those bloody Brits', "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" at the rugby grand final!

We're not really a nation of singers (too many sound just like me Confused ). But another lesson learned. We'll sing better next time! We made a better go of it at the Davis Cup final! (and were more succesful!)

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE SOME AUSSIE DOESN'T LIKE JONNY WILKINSON
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:36 pm
I don't have an opinion on Mr Wilkinson, one way or another - but at least he's decorative. He's welcome to walk around in his tight England shirt. Some of the other Englishmen who have been here.....have been less than decorative, shall we say!

One of the female commentators, talking of the English team, made the statement that anyone wearing numbers 1 - 8 (I think) should leave their shirts on; anyone from 9 to 15 should take their shirts off! Razz
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:09 am
Joking aside Margo I agree with you 100%
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:16 am
oldandknew wrote:
Drom ------- It has been said the britain is a large historical theme park, with the royal family as it's hub. I feel that if britain became a republic, then the royal family becomes HISTORY. Thus our history gets a lot bigger at a single stroke. The theme park analogy takes on greater meaning. So not only lots more tourists but plane loads of historians both ancient & modern & lots of politicians from euroland grinding an axe or two. What would a Princess Di coffee mug be worth or a video of Prince Chuck & Mrs Parker Bowels be worth in the new order of things.
Britain would be overwhelmed with offers and incentives from around the world.

That's a brilliant idea, oldandknew. You and I should start a 'Storm the Palace party;' I bet that many people would agree with our cause. You see, the royalists overlook that 'our' monarchy is the most expensive in the world, and believe that they 'bring' in tourist dollars (but, of course, we end up losing money for paying for some inbred's privileges....) The ability to see Prince Charles buying Ready Brek in a Spar shop has to be more exciting than looking at nothing. We could change the Palaces into big amusement parks and manors (you go round trying to get clues to figure out what the Royal scandal is ); we could put minor royals on TV shows where they have to fight each other to gain another weeks' privilege (seeing whether the 'élite' really is élite...) And, we could offer guests to this country a free three night stay in a palace of their choice when they spend over two weeks in England... and all this money raised could go back into our p*ss-poor public services: when Greece and South Korea beat a G7 country's standard of education (i.e. the UK's) you know that a revolution would come in handy....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:22 am
margo wrote:
I'd reckon that 70% or more of the population of Oz are for a republic.

The conservative govenrment carefully phrased the options, in the referendum held a cuppla years ago, so that either was unattractive, and it was defeated.

If they'd just asked "hey, do youse wanna republic? the results would have been overwhelming! Why do you think they didn't ask that question???? Evil or Very Mad

Grr... do you think someone will ever get into power that will hold a straight referendum? (Well, I realize that 'straight election' is at best quixotic, and at worst, an oxymoron.)

Who do you think will win the next election? The Howardites again?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:32 am
I support Australia becoming a republic just so I can watch the debate over selecting a new national anthem: Drinking song or football cheer?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:29 am
Drom, if uk became an overnight republic it would make a great tv soap opera. Knock the crap out of Eastenders & Neighbors. We would see Prince Chuck having an instant temper tantrum & I bet mrs parker bowels would ditch him quicker than a nuclear fuel rod, after she'd rammed it up his khyber pass of course. Prince Phillip would get the vapors & QE2 might well fall on her ceremonial sword.
Wishing & hoping
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:31 am
ROTFLMAO, OaK!

I'm sure it would sweep the ratings!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:36 am
oldandknew wrote:
Drom, if uk became an overnight republic it would make a great tv soap opera. Knock the crap out of Eastenders & Neighbors. We would see Prince Chuck having an instant temper tantrum & I bet mrs parker bowels would ditch him quicker than a nuclear fuel rod, after she'd rammed it up his khyber pass of course. Prince Phillip would get the vapors & QE2 might well fall on her ceremonial sword.
Wishing & hoping

What a brilliant idea... I'm with Eva on this one.. and that's without thinking about Royal Big Brother, Queensbury boxing! Don't forget Prince Andrew too, whose idea of style is a pillow saying, 'Eat, drink and be merry.' Who would be president, though?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:49 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

Grr... do you think someone will ever get into power that will hold a straight referendum? (Well, I realize that 'straight election' is at best quixotic, and at worst, an oxymoron.)

Who do you think will win the next election? The Howardites again?

The next election will be interesting - it's due before November next year, but I suspect it'll come early, before Mark Latham, the new leader of the Labor Party, has a chance to establish himself.

It's the silly season now, so not much will happen politically, until the beginning of February. I think we may see a March / April election.

The change of Opposition leader has probably changed the balance considerably. Two weeks ago, there wouldn't have been much doubt that John Howard would win again. I suspect the country is ready for a change, and John Howard is quite unpopular, so timing is critical. But Howard is good at timing. It'll be interesting.

I suspect the dynamic is similar to England - would Tony Blair stay in power if the Tories had a dynamic leader?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:15 pm
Margo ------------ I think Tony (Smoothy) Blair might go to Camp David & plot a world take over bid with Georgy Porgy. Brothers in arms & as thick as thieves. They deserve each other

As for President, Jonny Wilkinson has won so many awards, we might as well give him the job.
0 Replies

aclockworkoi

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:17 pm
...testing to see if the image worked..
0 Replies

aclockworkoi

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:20 pm
oldandknew wrote:
Margo ------------ I think Tony (Smoothy) Blair might go to Camp David & plot a world take over bid with Georgy Porgy. Brothers in arms & as thick as thieves. They deserve each other

As for President, Jonny Wilkinson has won so many awards, we might as well give him the job.

Hmm, you think Blair is really as bad as George W.? I mean...it embarrasses me to say I live here.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:30 pm
I wouldn't trust Blair with a used Kleenex & bottle of baby milk
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:31 pm
aclockworkoi wrote:
...testing to see if the image worked..

Well, no, your image didn't work - but welcome to A2K anyway!

John, I don't think Tony Blair is anywhere near as dangerous as George Bush, but war is good politics (in the short term), so he'll hang on to his coat tails, just as John Howard does.

I don't see much relief for any of us in the near future! Confused

I've got no problem with Jonny as President - he can't do any worse, and, at least he's decorative!

In Oz, my hand is up for Steve Waugh, retiring captain of the Australian cricket team, the most successful ever! But...<sigh> he doesn't really have the looks. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:38 pm
You're right Margo, in that Blair has less firepower & smaller budgets. I just find the way he hangs onto Geo's coat tail is a bit cringe making. A little power is much like a little knowledge, DANGEROUS.

By the way, I read Bill Byson's book about his travels in Australia. Great read & better than any tourist web site.
0 Replies