How do I get a comic book convention going in my home city and what affiliate do I need?

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:07 am
I contacted the Mayor's Office in my home city, and suggested they bring a comic-book convention to it and hold in in my city's Arena. They need to bring one to my home city. Comicon and Wondercon are held every year but not everyone has time and money to get to them. The Mayor's Aid liked the idea and passed it on. I was told I need a comic book related affiliate to help run the convention, in order to get the OK to do so? What kind of comic-book related organization or company do I need to get affiliated with to do so? Please let me know. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,113 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:21 am
@JGoldman10,
Why not check past Comicons, etc., and see who their sponsors have been? Then contact those companies. Also, contact local companies that might have interest, e. g. places that sell comics, possibly costume shops or toy shops would like to do some sponsorship.

Keep in mind -- to put on an event like this is a LOT of work and rather expensive. Even if it's just booths and people sleeping on one another's couches (e. g. no accommodations), you still need a place, and people still need a means for setting up their wares. People don't come to conventions just to chat -- some of them come to buy, sell and swap, and you need to be able to allow for all of that.
0 Replies