You Might Not Be Married if You Visit Virginia

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:48 am
Quote:
Marriages that take place outside of Virginia are not valid in the Commonwealth, even if the couple has obtained a legal Virginia marriage license and the ceremony is performed by a person authorized to do so in Virginia.

That's according to a legal opinion issued by Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) in May in response to a question from the clerk of the Prince William County court regarding a couple whose marriage ceremony took place in Bethesda.

The opinion is one of six Cuccinelli has issued since May 6, the last time his office posted one of the public documents online. The attorney general's office in recent years has generally provided quick online access to the opinions, written in response to requests from legislators and other state and local officials. The office's Web site indicates that the general practice is put opinions on the Internet within 24 to 48 hours after they are issued.

Cuccinelli spokesman Brian Gottstein said an employee charged with putting the opinions online recently left the office, creating a backlog of opinions not publicized through the Web site. He said the employee has been replaced and the process will improve soon. He provided the six opinions currently missing from the Web site upon request.

source: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/2010/07/marriages_that_take_place_outs.html

What?

A
R
T

jespah

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:42 am
@failures art,
So, I'm suddenly available (in one state)?

Am
Really
Taking a look at the options ... Wink
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:05 am
. . . or not.
An additional clarification on this marriage opinion--the decision relates only
to couples who seek Virginia marriage licenses and then want to hold their
ceremonies out-of-state.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:50 am
Virginia is for lovers?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:06 am
This helps me to understand why there were no fights in the car on the way through Virginia. We were suddenly two single people traveling together.

Joe(then came North Carolina)Nation
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:17 am
@failures art,
I can attest, in support of that.
Years ago, I visited it, n I was indeed not married. Q.E.D

David
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm
@George,
You're correct George. The case that this came up in was a NoVA couple who crossed over the Potomac and got Married in Bethesda, MD.

I suspect it all comes down to revenue.

A
R
T
0 Replies