Synchronicity, do you buy it?

husker

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:15 pm
Quote:
Because of its transitory and unpredictable nature, no one knows the causes, mental, chemical, or physical, of déjà vu. It is a very difficult phenomenon to study.

Some psychoanalysts believe it to be simple fantasy or wish fulfillment - trying to repeat a past experience. Others suspect it is a temporarily mismatched connection in the brain. Information from sensory organs is routed through the memory portion of the brain before being interpreted; by the time the sensations are processed, the brain notices them already in memory and believes them to have previously occurred. Since this happens rapidly at the chemical rate of the brain, the individual notices them almost simultaneously.

Déjà vu might also be brought about as part of another memory. A current sight or smell or taste might evoke an entire past memory. The present is then associated with the feeling of remembering and, therefore, the past.

Scientists have, however, associated déjà vu closely with the brain's temporal lobe1. This attachment was made based on accounts from persons with temporal-lobe epilepsy. Individuals experiencing seisures caused by the condition have a tendency to experience déjà vu immediately before and during the convulsions.

On a slightly less scientific bent, parapsychologists think déjà vu is a glimpse into a past life. The event did happen similarly before, you just happened to die between the occurrences.

The Guide to Life, The Universe and Everything
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:19 pm
I can buy off on this:
Quote:
The strongest pathological association of déjà vu is with temporal lobe epilepsy. This correlation has led some researchers to speculate that the experience of déjà vu is possibly a neurological anomaly related to improper electrical discharge in the brain. As most people suffer a mild (ie. non-pathological) epileptic episode regularly (eg. the sudden "jolt" that frequently occurs just prior to falling asleep), it is conjectured that a similar (mild) neurological aberration occurs in the experience of déjà vu, resulting in an erroneous "memory". sciencedaily.com
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:23 pm
Dys
Little extra reading fer ya!

Are you going to become a Spiritual Guide? Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:23 pm
Actually, "meaningful coincidences" loses something in the translation from Jung's original German. In reality, it can be more closely defined as "holy crap, I can't believe I'm still in the same dead-end job with all these ridiculous people."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 04:56 pm
from Huskers link

Quote:
Everyone's favorite.(example of synchronicity)....You drive to a place where parking is "next to impossible" and someone pulls out of a parking spot or it is just waiting for you.

Like hey man you know it was really like amazing. There were all these cars parked, you know everywhere in a car park man, like there was no room at the inn for baby Jesus and then from all these cars, you know like all parked together and there being no room at all then one of them drove off and I could park. It was a truly amazing experience and I sat there for ages just thinking about it when this other guy shouts (quite loudly actually I didnt think that was necessary) if I'm parking or going and that got me thinking about the synchronicity of everything, it....(no more synchronicity - ed.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:06 pm
by Jove I think steve's got it....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:12 pm
Synchronicity, serendipity, tomato, tomahto, whatever it is, it's all just good.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:18 pm
I prefer sexinthecity (some think its a syn)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:35 pm
Syntropy, entropy, round and round it goes. Bound to have a little chronological bumping in all that activity.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:02 pm
Quote:
by Jove I think steve's got it....
Don't worry its not contagious! :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:52 pm
I think Steve's comment was a saver... to savour.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:22 pm
Steve is right, of course. Why, only today I opened the phone book completely at random, and it practically fell open to page 326. Now, I ask you, what are the odds of that?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:42 pm
really amazing stuff, last year I was flying to Lisbon for a vacation and sitting in the seat next to me as a lady also going to Lisbon (I didn't ask if she was on vacation too as it was just so much synchronicity for me to handle at one time. I just sat there thinking of all the planes in the air at that time and all the seats on all those planes and all going all over the world and here right beside me was this lady also going to Lisbon. I ordered a double latte just to calm my excitement.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:13 pm
That's more impressive than you might think. I was on an ATA flight from Midway to JFK, but some of the other folks were going to LaGuardia. Luckily the gate agents were able to restore synchronicity and direct the LaGuardia folks toward a plane full of other people who were all -- miraculously enough -- also going to LaGuardia.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:21 pm
Naw, i think it's nonsense. Like, i turn on my headlights on my way home after work, and like, everybody just has to turn on their headlights, too. But, like, they're just copyin' me, 'cause they're, like, too uncool to think it up on their own . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:23 pm
WOW sometimes I am just underwhelmed at the total amount of cosmic synchronicity. But I suppose thats just me. Sometimes I just sit in the dark sticking my finger in the corner of my eyes and watch cartoons for hours or I find a bunch of guys that dress alike and follow them around.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:24 pm
There you have it Set, synchronicity really is loob*

*load of old bollocks
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:31 pm
Diane just commented to me that she would fear for her purported sanity were she to be in a room with meself, set and patiodog. Would that also be synchronicity. Personally I think it would be disharmony of the spheres.(bollocks indeed!!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:34 pm
YIKES!!!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:40 pm
what and I'm left out? Unsynchronicity is a cruel thing Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 04:56:15