Synchronicity, do you buy it?

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:06 am
Carl Jung, like many people who have experienced an uncanny pairing of events, did not think such happenings are mere coincidence. He developed the notion of synchronicity to explain "meaningful coincidences." He described synchronicity as an acausal principle that links events having a similar meaning by their coincidence in time. However, if you think of all the pairs of things that can happen in a person's lifetime and add to that our very versatile ability of finding meaningful connections between things, it then seems likely that most of us will experience many meaningful coincidences. The coincidences are predictable and we are the ones who give them meaning. Given the fact that there are billions of people and the possible number of meaningful coincidences is millions of billions, it is inevitable that many people will experience some very weird and uncanny coincidences every day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,075 • Replies: 84
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:24 am
Damn, man, that's cosmic . . .

I was just tellin' my goat the same thing this mornin' . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:27 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:28 am
Whoa, dys...you're making me dizzy! It's too early for that...

I thought you were asking if I'd bought that old CD by Sting (The Police.)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:47 am
Yay, I thought the same thing too, Eva, until I read 'did'... I know this is completely unrelated to the question, but did you buy that CD?

I get many uncanny pairing events... and a sense of 'déjà entendu' every day. I don't think of it as a divine plan, but rather a long set of coincidences. Whether the coincidences are meaningful or not all depends on the person interpreting the events. What about you, dys; do you believe in this theory?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:57 am
Of COURSE I bought that CD! Didn't everyone?!

Don't know about that theory, dys. Some people find meaning in everything that happens. Some blithely swim through life and never put any pieces together. Who's to say which is right? Personally, I see the world as a lumpy mixture of chaos and order. Not beaten until smooth. I'm cooking today, can you tell?! LOL!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:03 pm
Must be something to it if 6 people are all talking about it at the same time. That can't be a coincidence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:11 pm
Someone, i believe Anatole France, but i'm uncertain on that point, said that because 50,000 people believe a wrong thing, still does not make it right.

This cracked me up because of the popularity of such superstitions during the 60's and early 70's, the heyday of the hippies.

Which is, like, why i said, it's like, cosmic, dude . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:13 pm
i tend to lean towards chronosynclasticinfadibula
as a more common explanation of curious events. I also had a vuja de experience once, I didn't know where I was but I had the feeling I would be there again.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:34 pm
And vuja day to you too, dear Dys.

I think I know what you are talking about, it sounds like something I heard before, or, was that last night? Remember, when we were talking about a possible trip to chronosynclasticinfadibula? Or was that a trip we took in the 60's, before we knew each other in the biblical sense?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:36 pm
I have experienced presque vu far more often . . .

Fresca, anyone?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:59 pm
I almost agree with Set
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:59 pm
A miss is as good as a mile . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:57 pm
I agreed with him last week, but he hasn't come around yet.

Quote:
Given the fact that there are billions of people and the possible number of meaningful coincidences is millions of billions, it is inevitable that many people will experience some very weird and uncanny coincidences every day.

Every day? I haven't had a meaningful anything (with the possible exception of a bowel movement) in months. Since the law of averages says I should experience such events daily, the lack of any apparent synchronicity in my life proves its existence.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 02:59 pm
Do you synchronize your watches, gentlemen?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:02 pm
about as often as i watch synchronized swimming
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:08 pm
It's like déjà vu all over again.
Yogi Berra
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:08 pm
Many miles away...something crawls to the surface...of a dark Scottish loch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:10 pm
Talk about synchronizing watches (David Niven?) used to make me think of simonizing watches, which would make them harder to read, 'specially when swimming.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 03:12 pm
déjà vecu fer mi
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Synchronicity, do you buy it?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 06:23:45