0 Replies

Dark phoenix

Reply Mon 13 May, 2019 03:08 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Last album of Papa Roach
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 May, 2019 03:44 pm
@Dark phoenix,
I wish I was listening to Frank Sinatra.
10. “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” Frank Sinatra puts an elegant spin on this romantic melody. They didn’t call him the “first teen idol” for nothing.

9. “Mack the Knife” Youngsters in the 1990s may not have known who Frank Sinatra was, but they knew “Mack Tonight” from the McDonald’s commercials based on this Sinatra hit. This song had the New York City “edge” to it that came to epitomize Sinatra.

8. “Let it Snow” Frank Sinatra singing this song has set the tone for many holiday gatherings down through the years. It’s romantic, and it’s festive, and it’s pure Frank.

7. “Ole Man River” Hearing Frank Sinatra sing this rich, slow melody showcases his range of talent. This is one of his most beautiful songs.

6. “Luck Be a Lady” This song from the musical “Guys and Dolls” was later picked up and associated with Frank Sinatra. The 1950 musical was set in the gangster era of the 1920s and 1930s, and it seemed to fit Sinatra’s style perfectly.

5. “Strangers in the Night” This song has been done, redone and done again, but Sinatra’s 1966 recording of “Strangers in the Night” cannot be outdone. Hearing him sing, “Doobie, doobie, doo” is the best part of the song. This song ushered in a comeback of sorts for Sinatra on the pop charts.

4. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” There is not a Christmas collection recorded without this song, and most of them include Frank Sinatra singing it. Nobody does it better than the voice of Christmas himself.

3. “My Way” Many would tag this as Sinatra’s biggest hit or most well-known song. Also done by Elvis Presley in his later years, the song came close to being a parody of itself! Although not this writer’s favorite, possibly disqualified due to repetition, this song certainly gives the listener a full-blown taste of the voice and personality that is Frank Sinatra.

2. “My Kind of Town (Chicago is) This tribute to Chicago was written for the 1964 Rat Pack film called, “Robin and the 7 Hoods.” It has become a sort of Chicago theme song.

1. “New York, New York” This opening of this song is worth the price of admission: “I’m spreading the news….” It makes you want to join a chorus line and kick up your heels! If ever there were a National Anthem of New York City, this would surely be it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUrUfJW1JGk
hingehead

Reply Mon 13 May, 2019 07:12 pm
Japanese Psychadelic Jazz

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 May, 2019 06:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI, the only tune missing is an obscure Kingston Trio song covered by Ol’ Blue Eyes called It Was A Very Good Year.
The poignancy of that song only increases as I get older.
George

Reply Tue 14 May, 2019 07:13 am
@panzade,
Same here
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 May, 2019 09:51 am
@panzade,
I was able to travel to Cuba several times, and Frank Sinatra used to visit there often in the 1950's. His name is on a metal plate at the Nacional Hotel on the second floor where he used to stay, and the next room was the mafia's offices. There are pictures of him at Sloppy Joe's bar and cafe just a couple of blocks from the Nacional Hotel entrance where my buddy and I used to go for drinks. I have several CD's of Frank's music, but have not listened to them for several decades. I miss Cuba; we have several friends there including Hiroshi Robaina who owns one of the largest tobacco farms.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 21 May, 2019 01:09 pm
Listening to Christy.

0 Replies

steven-sam

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 01:13 pm
@Craven de Kere,
November Rain by (Gun N Roses)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 10:14 pm
Computer Love - Kraftwerk
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 12:54 pm
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 05:08 pm
Francis Monkman's 1978 Tempus Fugit album. I know Monkman from 801 and Sky, it was kind of interesting to hear him out of either context.

0 Replies

Can2Learn

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 06:54 pm
Absolute silence. It's fantastic.
hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:58 pm
@Can2Learn,
I've got all their albums.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 04:30 pm
German stoner space rock: Electric Moon's 'Inferno' album (2011)

The youtube comments are mildly amusing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 01:24 pm

0 Replies

Dageron

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 05:07 pm
@Craven de Kere,
"Nue" by Clara Luciani :-)
0 Replies

AlyssaCarroll

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 08:57 am
@Craven de Kere,
Queen - I want to break free
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 04:09 pm
'The Two Jews' from Tomita's Pictures At An Exhibition

Tomita is like a juggling monkey, aurally, to me. It's all very impressive but it's only engaging at the surface level. My life would be no different if I'd never experienced it.