What are you listening to right now?

eoe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:38 pm
Donny Hathaway
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:45 pm
yitwail wrote:
maybe i can top you, your lordship. the laptop is playing Stairway to Heaven--Led Zeppelin, alas, not F. Zappa's version which is inexplicably missing from my itunes library--and i'm plucking along on a ukulele. Laughing why isnt't there a uke version of this anyway? Confused

Frank Zappa did a version? Gawd.

You should get a hold of the 'Stairways to Heaven' compilation;

Review courtesy of www.allmusic.com

Stairways to Heaven is one of the wackiest albums ever released. Every song on here is "Stairway to Heaven," but all performed in very different styles. To even get a grasp on the range of styles here is almost mind-boggling. For instance, Rolf Harris, best known for his novelty Australian hit "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport," essentially re-does that song with the lyrics for "Stairway to Heaven" as the basis. John Paul Young puts in a straightforward rock rendition. Other versions include a B-52's cover band, an Elvis impersonator, a Doors tribute band, and two Beatles groups (one early period, one late) all doing the cut in the styles of those groups. There is even a crooner-style rendition (watch out, Pat Boone, you've got competition) and a classically tinged operatic. The liner notes on this one, with their fabricated tale of the making of the album, are even hilarious. The end result is that this is probably close to the most fun you can have listening to an album.

But the last word goes to the Butthole Surfers who did an album called 'Hairway to Steven' - which fortunately didn't attempt the song....

Any Day - Violetine
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:50 pm
snicker...funny stuff

does it have Dread Zeppelin's version?...mighty good
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:59 pm
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/6097/bluesrootsfrontsmalldi4.th.png
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 05:36 pm
I've read a bit on this, it was only fairly recently that they finally gave Willie Dixon a writing credit on a bunch of songs, like 'Whole Lotta Love'.

I forgive them though, they did great versions and provided a pathway for wasp metal heads to find the blues.

I loved Dread Zepellin - I actually saw them in Canberra in the early 90s, got their first two albums. That bass sound is amazing. He has this tiny little chiquita bass with strings so loose their flapping and he kicks up the volume does little fairy taps on the strings - while he stands on a platform in a nappy (sorry, diaper). I really think they were the ultimate concept band ie 'Elvis Presley isn't dead, he's found a reggae band and they do Led Zepellin covers' crazyass.

Stairways to Heaven was all Australian, all the versions were created purely for the album - and Rolf Harris got a UK no.1 out of it. Weird.

I don't actually own it but I do have the Far Corporation's overwrought version from the mid 1980s and the best one ever is the Hard Ons 38 second version - cracks me up every time I hear it:

Have a listen....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 05:40 pm
Bi-Polar Bear doing his "Diamond Dave" impression.

http://www.cirkusband.com/singles/cirkus_mean_street.wma
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:06 pm
Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:21 pm
Tupac - Only God Can Judge Me
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:27 pm
Got most of my cd collection ripped now so i've media player on shuffle (next stop - vinyl ripping, gah.) So far this morning...

Theme From Flood - They Might Be Giants
Stand by me - John Lennon
Jungle Man - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams
Caught by the Fuzz - Supergrass
Greedy people - Electric Hippies
Walking Blues - Robert Johnson
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:37 am
Now it's some reggae, mon

Warrior Charge - Aswad
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:01 pm
the final GVB concert

right now it's, everyone thinks i'm a raincloud (when i'm not looking)
0 Replies

Blood Wolf

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 02:02 am
Soundtrack from Halloween II
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 03:01 pm
Neko Case
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 03:38 pm
"Jazz for Joy" while doing inventory of the holiday decorations. The cut playing now..."Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer" by Nicholas Payton.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 03:41 pm
Mmmmmm.......

This..........
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 07:26 pm
Riverwalk Jazz from the Landing in San Antonio. Tonight it's a reading from Baum's The Wizard of Oz accompanied by jazz arrangements of the soundtrack from the movie. Fun.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:11 pm
Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device (Inflammable Material)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:29 pm
In The Bleak Midwinter
on Pandora Radio

Joe(trying to find non distracting music)Nation
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:25 pm
The radio concert is over. Just put on Duke Ellington live at Cornell U. (December 10, 1948 concert).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:11 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Mmmmmm.......

This..........

Ha, everytime I see the divinyls it reminds me Mark McEntee was once in Air Supply....

Change Of Heart - Cyndi Lauper
0 Replies