What are you listening to right now?

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:14 pm
I listened to Heavena nd Hell again - I had to after falling in love with Tenacious D.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:24 pm
Which Heaven and Hell? Black Sabbath? Vangelis?

Kothbiro - Ayub Ogada siiiggghhh.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:32 pm
Sabbath.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:46 pm
saturday night blues
0 Replies

askchester

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:09 am
bright eyes- lifted or the story is in the soil
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 05:06 am
Custom Kings - The Peace EP
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:08 pm
I'm listening to Epitonic radio ... you go to www.epitonic.com, click "radio" in the top right corner, choose as many genres as you want, and select to get 20 or 50 or 100 randomly selected tracks from the site from those genres. All more or less obscure or a little better known quality acts, lotta pretty good independent stuff.

I chose Breakbeat, Dub, Electro, Funk, Garage Rock, Hip-Hop, International, Lo-Fi, Pop-Punk, Punk, Rap, Shoegazer and Space Rock, so I'm getting a pretty eclectic mix here. Some tracks that stood out were:

- J-Live's Satisfied?, a cool dubby hip hop track,
- Mosul by Muslimgauze, we were talking about them here not so long ago - I had a tape of theirs back in high school but they still exist apparently, putting out this neat Middle-Eastern sounding bit of dub/breakbeat. Went on a bit forever tho.
- A great Quasimoto track, a tribute to old school with a mind of its own, Boom music
- Chik Chik Chik's Theres No F*cking Rules Dude
- New York by Nikki Sudden, a rambling bit of punk noise, and In Your Arms by Martin Rev, some deep spaced out lo-fi rock track that still somehow also sounded like the Nikki Sudden track. Kinda. (Helpful these little comments are, aren't they? Twisted Evil
- and just now it's the Analog Brothers' 2005, which kinda floated past while I was typing but it sounded like a good understated alternative hip-hop track.

There was also this other hip-hop track, Black Sands by Mystik Journeyman, which had this great dark loopy DJ Vadim-like beat going on, just I didnt like the rapping - the voice was good too but he seemed to have nothing to say.

Right now Lemon Jelly's Staunton Lick is going on ... so here's where I'd discovered that one! I havent been on this site for forever - tho its good, and all!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:18 pm
sheriffbart wrote:
The Call Up ~ Clash

"it's up to you not to heed the call-up ... I don't wanna die ..."

Memories. Good track. I was so into that album ("Sandinista!") when I was in high school ...

Honorable mention in the list above goes to the track thats playing now, Sophteonal by Aix Em Klemm ... wow is that lo-fi .. sad, too ... just some background sounds, kinda ... but beautiful. <nods>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:24 pm
Tanita Tikaram was also my high school days ... God I hated Twist in my Sobriety. Sorry, just couldnt stand it. What a grating whine she had.

And I had this girlfriend a little while who liked it too, I think - her and the Pet Shop Boys and Midnight Oil and Black ("it's a wonderful, wonderful life") and ... what were they called ... "You'd better stop - before, you gooo and break my heart ..." or perhaps my memory is projecting stuff now ...

God could the 80s suck, eh? Razz
0 Replies

sheriffbart

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 06:45 am
Life is a minestrone ~ 10CC

Life is a minestrone
Served up with parmesan cheese
Death is a cold Lasagne
Suspended in deep freeze
Love is a fire of flaming brandy
Upon a crepe suzette
Let's get this romance cooking, honey
But let us not forget

Life is a minestrone
Served up with parmesan cheese
Death is a cold Lasagne
Suspended in deep freeze
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 06:58 am
Cool Bart - that's one of those lyrics that goes round and round in my head.

Spleen and Ideal - Dead Can Dance
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:09 am
Oedipus Schmoedipus - Barry Adamson
0 Replies

William1987

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:52 pm
I've been waiting all this time, soliciting is my one crime
take a step which way to go, with no permission from a ho
and a limp with no deseases, my back seats got remedies
I'll be part of history, with 15 books on my story
and be a swift like roddigan, equipt with the best selection
wondering what you use, slipping off the booze cruise

any Pepper fans out there?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:19 pm
Belle and Sebastian - Don't Leave the Light on Baby
0 Replies

sheriffbart

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:38 am
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap ~ AC/DC

If you got a lady and you want her gone
But you ain't got the guts
She keeps naggin' at you night and day
Enough to drive you nuts -
Pick up the phone
Leave her alone
It's time you made a stand
For a fee
I'm happy to be
Your back door man

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Dirty Deeds and they're Done Dirt Cheap

Concrete shoes, cyanide, TNT
Done Dirt Cheap
Neckties, contracts, high voltage
Done Dirt Cheap

What poetry.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:18 am
AC/DC; hated them for so long. Then I heard a bluegrass group (Hayseed Dixie) doing covers of their hits and started to appreciate the melodies. The lyrics are still school boy but I love the way Angus and his brother play their two guitars together

http://www.texasmusiccds.com/images/Hayseed%20Dixie%20Images/Hayseed-Dixie.gif

You know, it's always made me scratch my head, how the Beatles or the Beach Boys or Madonna are forever being cited as "leading icons" of rock. I mean, as ugly as it may seem, that title actually belongs to AC/DC. What artist can possibly epitomize rock as well as them? Chuck Berry maybe, but I can guarantee that, as we speak, AC/DC songs are being played at a ratio of several thousand to each "No Particular Place To Go."

I'm always reminded of this quote a critic (Charles M. Young, I do believe) wrote: "AC/DC: 50 million units sold, 30 years of rocking, 20 plus albums, maybe 7 chords." Bear with me a minute here, I'm dead serious; AC/DC are fantastic, as primal as music can be. So what if they've made a career of recording the exact same song over and over again, albeit with different words and maybe in three different keys total? It's the rock song, better than anything Eddie Cochran or Jaggers/Richards or the Squiggle-ocassionally-know-as-Prince could ever hope to achieve. They rule!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
nimh wrote:
I'm listening to Epitonic radio

cj reminded me that windows media has radio stations so last night I set up about 25 favorites...fantastic to listen to commercial free music. Batanga plays nothing but Mexican corridas...good stuff
0 Replies

shortty

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:57 am
Heard the last part of this song last night on muchmusic and now I can't stop singing it or saying it whichever the case may be. Great message in this song, forgot how much I loved it.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of '97,

Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term
benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis or
reliable then my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice....now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, nevermind, you won't understand the power and
beauty of your youth until they've faded, but trust me in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of
yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous
you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra
equation by chewing bubblegum.

The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind: the kind that blindsides
you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts; don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is
long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive; forget the insults. (if you succeed in doing this, tell me how).

Keep your old love letters; throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people
I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives; some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of Calcium. Be kind to your knees -- you'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll
divorce at 40; maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary.

Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either. Your choices are half
chance, so are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body: use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it; it's the
greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance...even if you have no where to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions (even if you don't follow them).

Do not read beauty magazines; they will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents; you never know when they'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings: they're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in
the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but what a precious few should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps
and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you
were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old; and when you
do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children
respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse,
but you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you are 40, it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia;
dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and
recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me, I'm the sunscreen
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:05 am
Wise words...heard them before...but who?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
Wasn't it Baz Lehrman (Lerhman)...the man who Directed Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge?
0 Replies