What are you listening to right now?

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:59 pm
ahh.
I have not listened to alot of jamaican music.
Though what I have heard , i did like. ;-)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:00 pm
CHAKA DEMUS & PLIERS

http://www.rasrecords.com/chakademusandpliers/chakademusandpliers.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:01 pm
Sarah and i recommend "Tease Me"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:06 pm
I willtry it.

there was this group, not too TOO long ago that was hired for the mazda commercial
the zoom zoom zoom...? Remember that?
I listened to thier music after thier 'one hit wonder' commercial.. I loved them!
Dont remember the name of the group?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:17 pm
hmmm
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
primergray wrote:
I thought this was a music thread...

'When the Levee Breaks' / Led Zepplin

yeah... but c.i.'s new avatar is a bitburger can (and empty at that )... that says something good about the guy. and you selected a great track. you 2 should get along ...

a christmas without weed - phish
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:49 pm
My favourite Chaka D and P song: Gal Wine:

'Oh yes the slim body girl love the big body man
and the slim body man love the big body girl
gal wine, wine wine
all them bogle in a line'

Soon as Mr S gets the reggie on - I'm in there g r i n d i n g me punani, in a Jamaican Dance Hall stylee :wink:

Mr S always says "put it away for Christ's sake woman" Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:58 pm
Gal Wine is a classic ... dancehall music gettin' sweet ... & Chaka Demus and Pliers had some other ace tunes out as well ... which I dont have in my DB anymore after I had to transfer everything to CDs one time & now I cant find 'em back cause I didnt bother (back then) to burn 'em by genre ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:50 pm
Later on I did start burning by genre tho, so lemme cobble up a nimh selection of groovin and thumpin dancehall, with to start with, some old school:

Admiral Bailey - Jump Up
Shabba Ranks feat. Ninja Man & Admiral Tibbett - Serious Time
Barrington Levy - Here I Come
(there's an absolutely f*cking brilliant jungle remix of that too)
Cutty Ranks - The Stopper
Ninja Man - Murder Them
Gregory Isaacs - Rumours
Shabba Ranks - Mind Yu Dis, Soundboy
Buju Banton - Walk, Talk like a Champion
Tenor Saw - Ring The Alarm
Tappa Zukie - Big Ting
Tiger - Rough 'n' Cool
Burro Banton - Boom Wah Dis (Street Sweeper Riddim)
Spragga Benz - Badman Anthem
Prezident Brown - Micro Chip
Beenie Man feat Chevelle Franklyn - Dancehall Queen
(the movie's a cutie too ;-))
Buju Banton - Life Is a Journey
Mr Vegas - Popeeto
Sean Paul - Get Busy
Sean Paul - Breathe

Alla those are grrreat. I should have lots more on old cassettes ... usta be playing a lotta that music back in 90-93, when it was still Shabba doing Trailer Load a Girls ;-) ... and then again around 2000 or so, but like said, those went on a couple of unsorted "Napster" cds ... but these here are some a' the best, anyway.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:56 pm
Decided to make the dancehall thing a thread of its own ...

What's your favourite dancehall tracks?
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:11 pm
Awesome old dance hall tracks. I am totally bummed because most of my serious Jamaican and ska tunes I bought in the islands and on LP.
Some great Sly & Robbie early production tracks, Taxi productions--killer stuff. Aww, the sadness of format changes!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:39 pm
I kept my record player! Razz

You know, what, apparently, is getting to be the problem now?

Those little round thingies you need to play a single, a 7". You know, if they got a hole in the middle. They dont make 'em anymore, apparently (of course) - and I hear they're getting pretty rare and hard to get yer hands on.
So if you still have any - hold on to 'em!

What I'm worried about is - I was reading about the limited shelf life of CDs - not music CDs, but, you know - CD-R's. Data integrity dropping quickly after a few years.

I mean, damn. There I've gone and burnt all my old docs - everything that way back when, I woulda printed out - to CD-R. University papers, personal letters - and of course, loads of MP3s. All only on CD-R.

I am already kinda freaked out by just how much data is stored on the one CD - lose it, and its the equivalent of a filing cabinet burning down, you know? But what to do if its true, and you know - the CDS you burnt three years ago will in another few years have become unaccessible?

<sighs> LPs and books have their charm ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:38 am
This really trippy electro version of The Internationale (!), by Maxx Klaxon
(with a cool Colourbox sample in there too ;-))
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:11 am
Just listened to David Ruffin - Walk Away from Love. Bloody fantastic! Check it out and let me know if you can hit the high notes.....I can't (too many fags) Brother can (and he is a fag, he told me to put that)

Mr S said David Ruffin was sacked from the Temptations.....anyone know why?....He can't remember.

Now we're listening to Why Worry - Dire Straites.........'cos David likes it! :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
I'm listening to the little voice in my head telling me to logoff and get my arse in gear....... where's that addiction thread?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:18 am
OMG..............I'll meet you there! Supposed to be putting a 'flat pack' coffee table together, :wink: with my brother......but we can't.........keep playing TOP TUNES and dancing, brother keeps saying 'see if there's a reply?'
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:25 pm
radioactivity by kraftwerk
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:34 pm
Time Out ~ The Dave Brubeck Quartet
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
Wow Swimpy, I remember first hearing that tune and trying to play it on our old upright.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:41 pm
In 1964, when problems arose between the Temptations and group member Elbridge Bryant, David would be invited to join the group. Shortly after David's arrival, the group would record "The Way You Do The Things You Do", a Smokey Robinson number with Eddie Kendricks on lead. Gone for a three-week gig in Saginaw, Michigan, the group would return home to find themselves with their first hit. It is said that when David saw the chart standings, he sat down on the long chaise lounge in the Motown lobby, took off his glasses, and cried like a baby.

Ruffin would turn out be an electrifying and dynamic force, when soon after he would bring them their first universal #1 hit, "My Girl", recorded just before Christmas in 1964, a tune that would turn the group into a household word. The group began turning out one hit after another, and when David took such uptempo hits as "(I know), I'm Losing You", to the stage, he became a magnetic field of charisma. With his increasing celebrity, came increasing arrogance. Soon he was opting for star treatment, hotel suites, and his own limousine (with his trademark glasses painted on the side), while the other band members rode in a station wagon. He began partying, showing up late for gigs, or sometimes not showing up at all. He even called a meeting of the group, and road manager Don Foster, to inform them that he wanted the group to be known as David Ruffin and The Temptations, as he considered himself to be the dominant lead.

Despite the ego tripping, David was basically not a bad person, (As Dennis said in the StreetGold video- "A sober David Ruffin was a very deep person") but time and bitterness had created a tough outer shell, and David lived inside it. In April of 1968, following another Ruffin-led gem "I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You)" the group, unable to take Ruffin's shenanigans any more, voted David out of the group. In stepped Dennis Edwards, another great soul singer in his own right. Unable at first to accept his departure from the group, Ruffin would jump up on stage during performances, forcing the group to hire extra security to keep him away. Eventually, he was offered a solo deal, and he accepted after losing a lawsuit against Gordy seeking a release from his contract with Motown.

On January 20, 1969, David Ruffin made his solo debut with the now classic "My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)", a hit right out of the box. The following "I've Lost Everything I've Ever Loved", and "I'm so Glad I Fell For You", and the surprisingly bluesy "The Double Cross" didn't fare as well, each charting decreasingly lower than the last. Following a hitless second album, Feelin' Good, and a Ruffin Brothers project with brother Jimmy titled I Am My Brother's Keeper, Ruffin seemed to disappear from the scene for three years, despite such gems as "I Miss You" and "Common Man" from his self-titled third album. David would continue to struggle on the charts, until the mid seventies.

In the end of 1975 Ruffin's genius would again be found in his anguished performance of "Walk Away From Love", from Who I Am, and the brilliant ballad "Just Let Me Hold You For A Night" from the 1977 In My Stride. Although Ruffin's power would never wane, and his performances maintained an exceedingly high level of excellence, the albums would be "lost". Ruffin contended that Motown, concentrating on higher profile performers like Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, and Marvin Gaye were not promoting his material. In 1979, Ruffin left Motown for Warner Brothers, but there were still no major hits.

In 1982, with no label, and ever declining success, the idea of a reunion tour with The Temptations seemed like a practical move. Along with former group mate Eddie Kendricks and the current Temptations line up of Dennis Edwards, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Richard Street, and Glenn Leonard, seven Temptations would go on tour.

Whatever happiness the reunion brought at the beginning, would come unraveled in Detroit. The riffraff and the drug dealers gravitated toward David, just like the old days and the partying resumed. David missed the first three shows at the Premier Center in Detroit, costing the group thousands of dollars in docked fees, and leaving fans disappointed. Needless to say, the possibility of anything more permanent was not happening, and the group returned to it's pre-reunion line-up.

Unfortunately, not much would happen for David over the next few years, so he would team up with former Temptation and good friend Eddie Kendricks. In 1985, the pair would team up with friends Daryl Hall & John Oates for an album and live performance at The Apollo Theater in New York. The pair would also be involved with the "Live Aid" project and would appear in the Sun City video along with many other artists in the project Artists United Against Apartheid, to benefit political prisoners and their families in South Africa. In 1987, the two would record an album for RCA entitled Ruffin & Kendrick, a fine piece of work, but not as successful as it deserved to be. In the summer of 1987, Ruffin & Kendrick would tour 21 cities as part of a roadshow which included Martha Reeves and the late Mary Wells.

In 1989, David Ruffin was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, along with five other Temptations, including Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin and the late Paul Williams. Following the ceremony, David and Eddie would get together with Dennis Edwards, who the Temptations had replaced with Ali "Ollie" Woodson. The three would record an album called Get it While It's Hot, but the album, scheduled for release in late October of 1989, apparently never was. The trio consistently toured and performed live, but the prize of 1991 was the production of a soul satisfying video by Street Gold Entertainment and the original leads of the Temptations with special tribute to Eddie Kendrick & David Ruffin.

On June 1, 1991, during the making of the video, David Ruffin, at age 50 years, would die a tragic, sad and lonely death in a Philadelphia crack house.
0 Replies