Why have people come to percieve god as good?

Ares cv

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:53 am
The Greeks and Romans had gods that warred against each other and even tortured other gods, take the case of Prometheus who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to man in turn Zeus put him on a rock to have his liver and eyes pecked and torn out by crows and every day it would grow back only to be torn and pecked out again. It seems with the Abrahamic God people seem to perceive him as 'good' and 'merciful' what have you. But that isn't exactly true, in my opinion. Take for instance these few verses:

[QUOTE][SIZE="2"]Numbers 31:17-18[/SIZE]

17Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

[SIZE="2"]1 Samuel[/SIZE]

2Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

3Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Those would be considered acts of GENOCIDE in this day and age! Notice in Samuel their god tells the Israelites to kill even the infant and the suckling. In Numbers he tells them to keep the women children for themselves! And if you read it in context the god isn't just having them do this off of whim but out of vengeance! Revenge is their reason for genocide. So my question is why would a god use mans logic? Why would a god seek revenge? Wouldn't a god, especially the father of Christ, just turn the other cheek? [/B][/COLOR]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,885 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Ares cv

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:32 pm
@Ares cv,
No one is touching this??? Why I ask!? WHY!!! Lol I'm bored.
0 Replies

Carico

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 11:54 pm
@Ares cv,
Ares;65887 wrote:
The Greeks and Romans had gods that warred against each other and even tortured other gods, take the case of Prometheus who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to man in turn Zeus put him on a rock to have his liver and eyes pecked and torn out by crows and every day it would grow back only to be torn and pecked out again. It seems with the Abrahamic God people seem to perceive him as 'good' and 'merciful' what have you. But that isn't exactly true, in my opinion. Take for instance these few verses:

Those would be considered acts of GENOCIDE in this day and age! Notice in Samuel their god tells the Israelites to kill even the infant and the suckling. In Numbers he tells them to keep the women children for themselves! And if you read it in context the god isn't just having them do this off of whim but out of vengeance! Revenge is their reason for genocide. So my question is why would a god use mans logic? Why would a god seek revenge? Wouldn't a god, especially the father of Christ, just turn the other cheek?

The OT showed mankind that we are sinners who live to please ourselves rather than honor God and His creation and thus, all deserve death. The NT shows us that God forgave us for those things even though we don't deserve His forgiveness. So Jesus died for those who hate him which is the epitome of complete and total selfless love. Smile
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 02:36 am
@Carico,
Carico;66085 wrote:
The OT showed mankind that we are sinners who live to please ourselves rather than honor God and His creation and thus, all deserve death. The NT shows us that God forgave us for those things even though we don't deserve His forgiveness. So Jesus died for those who hate him which is the epitome of complete and total selfless love. Smile

Even children?

C'mon.... :no:
Carico

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 02:54 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66095 wrote:
Even children?

C'mon.... :no:

God repeatedly warned man that if he disobeyed God, he would die. Man still didn't listen. So God said that he would kill their children if they didn't listen to God. Man still didn't listen nor does he do so today. So unfortunately, most parents don't care enough about their children to listen to God. then they wonder why God kills their children. :eek:

So if you really care about your children, you need to listen and obey God, both for their sake and yours. if you don't, you've been warned as even you know since you look up the verses that tell us that God does what he said He will do. Man did not create the universe and everything in it, God did. So He controls it. But if man continues to call Him a liar and rebel against him, man will find out the hard way that God was telling the truth the whole time. Wink It's that simple. :frown:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 03:30 am
@Carico,
Carico;66101 wrote:
God repeatedly warned man that if he disobeyed God, he would die. Man still didn't listen. So God said that he would kill their children if they didn't listen to God. Man still didn't listen nor does he do so today. So unfortunately, most parents don't care enough about their children to listen to God. then they wonder why God kills their children. :eek:

So if you really care about your children, you need to listen and obey God, both for their sake and yours. if you don't, you've been warned as even you know since you look up the verses that tell us that God does what he said He will do. Man did not create the universe and everything in it, God did. So He controls it. But if man continues to call Him a liar and rebel against him, man will find out the hard way that God was telling the truth the whole time. Wink It's that simple. :frown:

Why should the children be punished, they did nothing wrong. This is not the behavior of a benevolent god.
Carico

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 04:01 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66107 wrote:
Why should the children be punished, they did nothing wrong. This is not the behavior of a benevolent god.

:eek: I already explained to you why. No one is innocent anyway because we were all conceived in sin.

So again, the answer every question you've asked can be found in the bible. If you really want answers to them you'll read the bible. But if you don't believe the the bible, then I'm afraid you'll have to live in total darkenss about; what the history of the Jews is, what sin is, why God does anything, what hell is, what heaven is, what salvation is, why the world works the way it does, what's going to happen in the future and what happens after we die.

You'll thus have to live in a total wasteland of ignorance which means you aren't qualified to discuss any of these issues. But if you persist in discussing them anyway, then don't expect anyone to take you seriously until you become educated. :rolleyes: Good day.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 04:20 am
@Carico,
Carico;66111 wrote:
:eek: I already explained to you why. No one is innocent anyway because we were all conceived in sin.

So again, the answer every question you've asked can be found in the bible. If you really want answers to them you'll read the bible. But if you don't believe the the bible, then I'm afraid you'll have to live in total darkenss about; what the history of the Jews is, what sin is, why God does anything, what hell is, what heaven is, what salvation is, why the world works the way it does, what's going to happen in the future and what happens after we die.

You'll thus have to live in a total wasteland of ignorance which means you aren't qualified to discuss any of these issues. But if you persist in discussing them anyway, then don't expect anyone to take you seriously until you become educated. :rolleyes: Good day.

I don't care what you say, murdering children is not good nor was it justified. Quit making excuses.

Sin is nothing more than a contrived disease so you can push your contrived cure.

I've read the bible, many times. This is how I can say it contains many falsehoods and abhorrent commandments. It is riddled with things we know are wrong and yet you persist in delusion. You are not capable of defending your mythology which is why you don't want me to discuss it.
Numpty

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 05:06 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Hmmmm, Wasn't Lot one of a very select group of people who God allowed to leave Gomorrah because he and his family were not Sinners?
0 Replies

Carico

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:46 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66113 wrote:
I don't care what you say, murdering children is not good nor was it justified. Quit making excuses.

Sin is nothing more than a contrived disease so you can push your contrived cure.

I've read the bible, many times. This is how I can say it contains many falsehoods and abhorrent commandments. It is riddled with things we know are wrong and yet you persist in delusion. You are not capable of defending your mythology which is why you don't want me to discuss it.

If you don't want your children to be destroyed, then listen to and obey God. ;)But I already know that you don't care about children enough to listen to God. ;)So you're not fooling me and you're certainly not fooling God. Wink
mimidamnit

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:48 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66107 wrote:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:55 pm
@Carico,
Carico;66192 wrote:
If you don't want your children to be destroyed, then listen to and obey God. ;)But I already know that you don't care about children enough to listen to God. ;)So you're not fooling me and you're certainly not fooling God. Wink

When we're kids we have our invisible friends, but when we grow up we realize they're nothing more than our imagination. unfortunately some adults never come to that realization.

Speaking of children, is it okay to tell them that the bogeyman is going to get them? Impressionable children may believe these lies, but i'm not fooled so easily. According to your myth book it is your god that commands the death of millions children.
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:08 pm
@Ares cv,
CARICO what is this threat you must assume comes from your god.. OBEY ME.. OR I WILL DESTROY YOUR CHILDREN. oh that is definitely worthy of my everlasting praise and supplication.

YOU LOSE 5 COOL POINTS CARICO.. tsk tsk
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:12 pm
@Carico,
Carico;66192 wrote:

:ban: NO GOOD!!! listen to you.. can u read what u just wrote.. "but i already know u dont care about children enough to listen to god".. that is assuming there is a god to listen to sweetie.. which is exactly what we are debating. your assumption that one who chooses anyway other than "your way according to jesus" doesnt care for his children is outlandish and childish at best.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 06:04 pm
@Carico,
Carico;66192 wrote:

That makes no sense what so ever.

So by your reasoning If I sin my children will be punished by going to hell?

Does your God not love all his children?

Why would a Child be punished for the actions of their parents? Isn't damnation handed out on an individual basis?
mimidamnit

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:52 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;66215 wrote:
That makes no sense what so ever.

So by your reasoning If I sin my children will be punished by going to hell?

Does your God not love all his children?

Why would a Child be punished for the actions of their parents? Isn't damnation handed out on an individual basis?

:eek:not only going to hell numpty.. but DESTROYED!!!!:no:!!!!!.. i am aware of something they call generational sin.. where the affects of sin.. are carried down to our children.. their children.. their children's children... i was baptized when i was younger.. and i distinctly remember them praying over me to break the bonds of the generations of sin that apparently i was suffering from.:rollinglaugh:

in case you didnt read my other post.. concerning my awakening.. i once would have called my self a child of god.. but i am no longer suffering from that delusion..
Carico

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:32 am
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;66229 wrote:
:eek:not only going to hell numpty.. but DESTROYED!!!!:no:!!!!!.. i am aware of something they call generational sin.. where the affects of sin.. are carried down to our children.. their children.. their children's children... i was baptized when i was younger.. and i distinctly remember them praying over me to break the bonds of the generations of sin that apparently i was suffering from.:rollinglaugh:

in case you didnt read my other post.. concerning my awakening.. i once would have called my self a child of god.. but i am no longer suffering from that delusion..

You have sin? Why heavens no! You're a sinless god! :rollinglaugh: Or so you're deluded to believe. :rolleyes:
xexon

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:33 am
@mimidamnit,
Here's to being God! :beerchug:

x
Carico

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:34 am
@xexon,
xexon;66251 wrote:
Here's to being God! :beerchug:

x

Here's to liars. :thumbdown:
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:08 am
@Carico,
Carico;66250 wrote:
You have sin? Why heavens no! You're a sinless god! :rollinglaugh: Or so you're deluded to believe. :rolleyes:

you're being wetodded.. i stated before that i know both sides of this argument.. and as fervently as i can argue against christianity.. i have enough knowlege of your bible that i can equally argue for it.. i stated that i was once christian.. was baptized.. and this is what happened at my baptism.. i never claimed to be perfect. but i'll take into consideration that i very well may be a god.:rollinglaugh: