The True Identity of Jesus

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 09:53 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;64913 wrote:
Why would they?

I don't know, Because he ******* healed the blind? What more reason do you need?

[/QUOTE]
Grouch

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 12:24 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;64937 wrote:
I don't know, Because he ***ing healed the blind? What more reason do you need?

You have a hard time with conseptual ideas larger than Taco Bell vs. McDonalds dont you.

But because I seem to be the only one posting with any regularity and I'm bored I'll enumerate them more concisely.

Oh and thanks for ignoring the rest of the content of the post. I can see you have an great inability to reply a multitude of topics.

1. The ministry of Jesus lasted a very short time and was in geographically small area. (sorry he wasn' Rome where there might have been a few more people watching)
2. Any written documents would have been put down on the worst possible material for long term preservation. (papyrus, doesn't hold up to time very well)
3. Most people saw him as a criminal or a magician, a wise man at most. (my bad there aren't any records of any criminal, magician or wise man from that time period)
4. A vast majority of those that would have seen his works couldn't write in the first place (maybe they could have drawn a picture)
5. Textual criticism of the Gospels leads most to believe that they were based on older, less detailed documents that have since been lost (which would then logically follow that someone had written something about Jesus closer to this life that what we can date the gospels to.
6. Look at the oldest copies of the Gospels that we do have, finalized and preserved and still they date hundreds of years after we know they existed. (again paper doesn't hold up well to time)

is there something you don't understand about these principals? Do they not make sense to you? Do you have any concept that documents in general from that time from don't exist, government docs, personal doc, Jewish religious docs...none of that exist in any regularity why should documents about someone who wasn't even important until 300 years after his existence have been treated with any extra special care?

Do you actually answer questions or ignore them and pose more babble of your own?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 02:18 pm
@Grouch,
Grouch;64940 wrote:
You have a hard time with conseptual ideas larger than Taco Bell vs. McDonalds dont you.

If your grammar and spelling wasn't so horrific, I'd be insulted.

Quote:
But because I seem to be the only one posting with any regularity and I'm bored I'll enumerate them more concisely.

Oh and thanks for ignoring the rest of the content of the post. I can see you have an great inability to reply a multitude of topics.

Sticks and stones, my friend.

Quote:
1. The ministry of Jesus lasted a very short time and was in geographically small area. (sorry he wasn' Rome where there might have been a few more people watching)
2. Any written documents would have been put down on the worst possible material for long term preservation. (papyrus, doesn't hold up to time very well)
3. Most people saw him as a criminal or a magician, a wise man at most. (my bad there aren't any records of any criminal, magician or wise man from that time period)
4. A vast majority of those that would have seen his works couldn't write in the first place (maybe they could have drawn a picture)
5. Textual criticism of the Gospels leads most to believe that they were based on older, less detailed documents that have since been lost (which would then logically follow that someone had written something about Jesus closer to this life that what we can date the gospels to.
6. Look at the oldest copies of the Gospels that we do have, finalized and preserved and still they date hundreds of years after we know they existed. (again paper doesn't hold up well to time)

Considering the significance of performing miracles around a group of very superstitious people, I really don't see any of these as real problems.

Quote:
is there something you don't understand about these principals? Do they not make sense to you? Do you have any concept that documents in general from that time from don't exist, government docs, personal doc, Jewish religious docs...none of that exist in any regularity why should documents about someone who wasn't even important until 300 years after his existence have been treated with any extra special care?

Do you actually answer questions or ignore them and pose more babble of your own?

Perhaps Jesus wasn't important until after his death because it took that long to make him into a legend. Jesus may have been a real person, he may have even been a real rabbi with a small following and after his death these myths and hyperbolic stories of his life begin to crop up and they begin to grow. His life is the result of exaggerations that snowballed over time which is why no historian thought to take note of him. This I find to be much more likely. But this all of course, doesn't change the fact that there is no historical record written of him when he was alive. The fact that all these stories only show up hundreds of years after his death should be very telling.
Grouch

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 03:57 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;64941 wrote:
If your grammar and spelling wasn't so horrific, I'd be insulted.

Sticks and stones, my friend.
Considering the significance of performing miracles around a group of very superstitious people, I really don't see any of these as real problems.

Perhaps Jesus wasn't important until after his death because it took that long to make him into a legend. Jesus may have been a real person, he may have even been a real rabbi with a small following and after his death these myths and hyperbolic stories of his life begin to crop up and they begin to grow. His life is the result of exaggerations that snowballed over time which is why no historian thought to take note of him. This I find to be much more likely.

So do I, and if you actually read anything I posted, you would have see that. I never once argued for his divinity. Pay attention next time.

But this all of course, doesn't change the fact that there is no historical record written of him when he was alive. The fact that all these stories only show up hundreds of years after his death should be very telling.

Telling of what? He was probably a largely unimportant rabbi who was seen as nothing but a disruptive magician and a criminal by Jewish and Roman authorities?

But again there is no historical written paper record of ANYONE in Judea c. 30ad.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:20 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;64944 wrote:

I haven't made any spelling errors since you've joined unless intentional.

Quote:

Don't be a fool. The only reason you don't think my arguments are valid is because they disagree with yours. And to think by insulting me I would suddenly change my mind is utterly absurd.

Quote:

Why is that? Excuse me If I believe that if somebody healed the blind there would be some record of it.

Quote:
So do I, and if you actually read anything I posted, you would have see that. I never once argued for his divinity. Pay attention next time.

Except the absence of a record is less plausible if miracles were performed in front of eyewitnesses. If you don't believe Jesus performed any miracles then we have nothing more to debate.

Quote:
Telling of what? He was probably a largely unimportant rabbi who was seen as nothing but a disruptive magician and a criminal by Jewish and Roman authorities?

Telling of the absence of 'said miracles.

Quote:
But again there is no historical written paper record of ANYONE in Judea c. 30ad.

Including Jesus. I'm not here to argue if there are good reasons for the absence I am simply stating a fact.
Grouch

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 03:52 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;64960 wrote:
I haven't made any spelling errors since you've joined unless intentional.

Ahaha ok there, I guess MS word underlined them in red on accident. Whatever it takes though.

Don't be a fool. The only reason you don't think my arguments are valid is because they disagree with yours. And to think by insulting me I would suddenly change my mind is utterly absurd.

The ONLY argument you have made is that, he is the central figure to one of the worlds biggest religions and thus there must be large amounts of written documents about him. That’s an argument naively limited in scope and understanding.

Unfortunately you seem to understand very little about the social importance of Christ prior to the modern era, where exactly he would have ministered, who he ministered too, what the local population considered him to be, the enormous odds against preservation of paper documents, and the lack of documents about people were far more important during the same time frame. What is that the 3rd time I’ve listed those and not a single attempt to refute or argue against any of them? Just more of you attempting to yell louder so that the other 3 people on the forum might hear you.

Why is that? Excuse me If I believe that if somebody healed the blind there would be some record of it.

Q document? I mentioned it once, you didn’t argue against it. I doubt you even know what it is.

Though one would think that at least one written document from Pilate would have survived, considering the numbers a governor would have been part of.

Except the absence of a record is less plausible if miracles were performed in front of eyewitnesses. If you don't believe Jesus performed any miracles then we have nothing more to debate.

Eyewitnesses who for the most part would have been illiterate to begin with. Sorry, those pre gospel personal journals of Mary Magdalene hooker friends didn’t survive 2k years. (Yes I know she wasn’t really a hooker that is a catholic literary mistake)

Telling of the absence of 'said miracles.

Right, and nothing to the effect that culturally almost no one would have been capable of writing them down anyways.

Including Jesus. I'm not here to argue if there are good reasons for the absence I am simply stating a fact.

Is that really your attempt to make an argumentative point? Seriously, you don’t counter anything, you post nothing of merit, nothing that actually contains evidence or even reason to take you seriously.
Numpty

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:14 am
@Grouch,
Angry one you aren't ya Grouch? By name by nature I guess.

Seems that we both believe in the same thing but have a difference of opinion when it comes to the validity of Mr Christ. I neither believe he ever existed, certainly in the guise of a miracle man and most deffinatley not as the son of a magic man in the sky.

You believe he was an unimportant insignificant Preacher/Rabbi/Rabble Rouser of the day, you may well be correct.

For me the one thing that stands out is that IF Jesus was the son of the creator of the Universe, Galaxy, Solar System and Planet, why is there no bloody eyewitness accounts? This person is supposed to have performed miracles in front of 1000's of people, fed 5000 from a loaf of bread and two fish. Why are there no accounts?

This person is supposed be the single biggest arrival this planet has ever seen, the son of a diety, yet nothing.

This is why I dont believe that a man called Jesus ever existed.
Grouch

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 06:53 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;64966 wrote:
Angry one you aren't ya Grouch? By name by nature I guess

Not angry so much as little tolerance for un-intellectual arguments and people who refuse to support their or counter other peoples claims. But yup, the name fits. Lulz

Numpty;64966 wrote:
Seems that we both believe in the same thing but have a difference of opinion when it comes to the validity of Mr Christ. I neither believe he ever existed, certainly in the guise of a miracle man and most deffinatley not as the son of a magic man in the sky.

ok
Numpty;64966 wrote:
You believe he was an unimportant insignificant Preacher/Rabbi/Rabble Rouser of the day, you may well be correct.

Yes, I believe that a majority of those who would have been exposed to Jesus would have thought of him in the above manner.

Numpty;64966 wrote:
For me the one thing that stands out is that IF Jesus was the son of the creator of the Universe, Galaxy, Solar System and Planet, why is there no bloody eyewitness accounts? This person is supposed to have performed miracles in front of 1000's of people, fed 5000 from a loaf of bread and two fish. Why are there no accounts?
Numpty;64966 wrote:
This person is supposed be the single biggest arrival this planet has ever seen, the son of a diety, yet nothing.

This is why I dont believe that a man called Jesus ever existed.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:18 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;64964 wrote:
Ahaha ok there, I guess MS word underlined them in red on accident. Whatever it takes though.

There are a lot of words that are underlined in red that are not misspelled, especially names and scientific words.

Quote:

According to whom?

Quote:
Unfortunately you seem to understand very little about the social importance of Christ prior to the modern era, where exactly he would have ministered, who he ministered too, what the local population considered him to be, the enormous odds against preservation of paper documents, and the lack of documents about people were far more important during the same time frame.

In all reality none of us properly understand any of these things considering the bible is the only first hand account that he even existed.

Quote:

Perhaps I should repeat my self as you don't seem to grasp this:

"It doesn't matter WHY there is no record, it only matters that there IS no record"

I haven't refuted it because it's irrelevant.

Quote:

The Q document is entirely theoretical. They happen to find it then maybe I'll change my tune, until then you have no argument.

Quote:
Though one would think that at least one written document from Pilate would have survived, considering the numbers a governor would have been part of.

"It doesn't matter WHY there is no record, it only matters that there IS no record"

Quote:

Quote:
Right, and nothing to the effect that culturally almost no one would have been capable of writing them down anyways.

Quote:

Evidence for what? What evidence do you propose I provide? I'm making no claims and thus my argument requires no evidence, I'm simply stating a fact. There is no reliable record of Jesus. You can postulate all day long why that is, but it does fail to be true.
0 Replies

Grouch

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:58 am
@Fatihah,
Fatal_Freedoms;64968 wrote:
There are a lot of words that are underlined in red that are not misspelled, especially names and scientific words.

ok boss.

According to whom?

YOU! That’s all you have been able to muster in this thread. You refuse to provide anything else or even reasoned debate. You failed miserably here.

Please do me and the forum a favor, one by one, line by line. Provide your argument and evidence/reasoning. You have done none of that and refuse to provide a counter point to anything poster.

In all reality none of us properly understand any of these things considering the bible is the only first hand account that he even existed.

No…history has a pretty good grasp that.

Perhaps I should repeat my self as you don't seem to grasp this:

And just as I said, that is the extent of your pathetic argument. Yes, ignore all causes and potential explanations. Speaking with all honestly…if you paid for an education and that is the best 4+ years of college had trained you to do. Ask for a refund.

I haven't refuted it because it's irrelevant.

So, explanations as to why there might be no record of Jesus, or anyone from that time period. It’s irrelevant as to why there would be no recorded of Jesus or anyone from that time period. Wow! You’re intellect is truly dizzying.

The Q document is entirely theoretical. They happen to find it then maybe I'll change my tune, until then you have no argument.

And yet using standard textual criticism is well supported to have existed. And which you’ve clearly shown yourself to know nothing about.

More intellectual cowardice. Seriously its getting funny at this point. Watching you fail so badly.

Evidence for what? What evidence do you propose I provide? I'm making no claims and thus my argument requires no evidence, I'm simply stating a fact. There is no reliable record of Jesus. You can postulate all day long why that is, but it does fail to be true.

Yes, arguing a negative. You win at losing, you’ll never have to provide evidence of anything and you’re so pathetically dogmatic that you’ll stick your head in the sand at any explanation.

You’re stance is that Jesus never existed. You have nothing that supports that statement. You have failed in every way possible. On the other hand we have plenty of evidence that historians, and the populous thought he did and followed his teachings. There is not one recorded dismissal of the cult of Christ, all of history supported and recognized his existence.

When you finally want to offer something other than the drivel thus far, please feel free to post again. I would love to debate something with you when actually provide something to debate.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:15 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;64970 wrote:
ok boss.

Well my spellchecker underlined your spelling of Naive in the other thread and is right now underlining your spelling of "ok".

Quote:

You made an unfalsifiable statement, why should I take it as truth?

Quote:
Please do me and the forum a favor, one by one, line by line. Provide your argument and evidence/reasoning. You have done none of that and refuse to provide a counter point to anything poster.

the burden of proof does not lie with me. You say that there is a record of jesus then You provide such a record.

Quote:

No there is no history because there is no story, it's entirely absent and you simply ASSUME.

Quote:

:rollinglaugh:

You have no idea

Quote:

As I've stated numerous times it doesn't matter WHY there is no record only that there IS no record. I get tired of repeating myself. Maybe I should make a stamp so I can reply to your incessant errs.

Quote:

It doesn't matter, It's postulated, it's speculation, and it's nothing more. Show me it exists and you'll have an argument. Saying something could exist is different than saying it does.

Quote:
More intellectual cowardice. Seriously its getting funny at this point. Watching you fail so badly.

I can see the desperation.

Quote:

No my position is that if jesus did exist that there is no historical record of him written while he was alive, if you have one I'd like to see it.

You have the burden of proof, I'm simply arguing against a position so I don't need to provide any evidence. What is asserted without evidence will be dismissed without any. You're on the verge of committing the negative proof fallacy.
Numpty

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:58 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;64967 wrote:

My point and I think a valid one. The bible has numerous 'eyewitness' accounts of Mr Christ. Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Fishermen, Farmers Carpenters and Herders. Amazing that with so many illiterate people of the time, unable read or write, Jesus is able to find 12 souls of working class man that can write.

For some reason nobody else is able to read or write, how lucky was Jesus eh? Very Happy

I will if you like, take you to a story you may well have heard of. Robin of Locksely, later to be Robin of the Hood. A Man steeped in Legend, but nothing written about him, no manuscripts. Rumour and hear say for the most part is what made the name of Robin hood. A simple story of a Man helping the poor by taking from the rich. Seized upon and used by the people of the day as a beacon of hope for the oppression of the age, stories appear of great deeds and even greater generosity, the people love him, are inspired by him, hope is once more there's to have. No-one knows him but many know someone who does. A case of Chinese whispers and urban myths.

Just like our man Jesus.

The Alexander the Great story is taken appart with the small evidence of coinage of that time. Google it I am sure you see that during potracted time of his conquest there are indeed coins found from that time with his deeds on them. Happy to be corrected of course.

British Museum - Silver decadrachm of Alexander the Great

Not bad, only took me 45 seconds to find these babies.
Grouch

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:18 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;64971 wrote:
Well my spellchecker underlined your spelling of Naive in the other thread and is right now underlining your spelling of "ok".

Well then you just go back to that first sign of a failed argument and pick out some more minor errors in spelling or punctuation if it makes you feel better.

You made an unfalsifiable statement, why should I take it as truth?
the burden of proof does not lie with me. You say that there is a record of jesus then You provide such a record.
No there is no history because there is no story, it's entirely absent and you simply ASSUME.

So you think that everything about Jesus is made up? Do you simply not read?

:rollinglaugh:

You have no idea
As I've stated numerous times it doesn't matter WHY there is no record only that there IS no record. I get tired of repeating myself. Maybe I should make a stamp so I can reply to your incessant errs.

It doesn't matter, It's postulated, it's speculation, and it's nothing more. Show me it exists and you'll have an argument. Saying something could exist is different than saying it does.
I can see the desperation.
No my position is that if jesus did exist that there is no historical record of him written while he was alive, if you have one I'd like to see it.
But your logic is horrible since the historical record is silent on EVERYONE. So thus you must also not believe that anyone ever lived during the time of Jesus. You and your inconsistent logic fail.

You have the burden of proof, I'm simply arguing against a position so I don't need to provide any evidence. What is asserted without evidence will be dismissed without any. You're on the verge of committing the negative proof fallacy.

The proof, is that every historian of record writes of him (as a teacher) existing or his followers shortly after. Never is his existence once questioned by anyone remotely close to the same historical time period. The Gospels show up very shortly after his purported teaching, there is historical record of early organized churches shortly after his existence. There are no other cults that developed at that time are based on imaginary figures, and its not unreasonable at all to understand why paper documents (if they were made, knowing that to non followers Jesus was little more than a petty trouble maker) would not still be in existence today.

You have all that, that supports the existence of the Man (not his being a god which I have never once suggest, if you have paid attention).
0 Replies

Grouch

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:22 am
@Fatihah,
Seriously though.

Why would the Pharisees or some other Jewish area of leadership not make one single document in the negative regarding the development of a new Jewish cult based upon a completely imaginary leader.

Can anyone answer that?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 01:25 pm
@Grouch,
Grouch;64977 wrote:
Seriously though.

Why would the Pharisees or some other Jewish area of leadership not make one single document in the negative regarding the development of a new Jewish cult based upon a completely imaginary leader.

Can anyone answer that?

Because The only writings of him are written many years after he supposedly died.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 01:30 pm
@Grouch,
My only contention is not whether or not there was a man named jesus during such a time, but that 'said man performed miracles. If Jesus did not perform miracles then it is understandable that there would be no record of him. And If Jesus did not perform miracles then the biblical description of him is very inaccurate.
0 Replies

Grouch

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 04:44 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;64974 wrote:
My point and I think a valid one. The bible has numerous 'eyewitness' accounts of Mr Christ. Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Fishermen, Farmers Carpenters and Herders. Amazing that with so many illiterate people of the time, unable read or write, Jesus is able to find 12 souls of working class man that can write.
Numpty;64974 wrote:
For some reason nobody else is able to read or write, how lucky was Jesus eh? Very Happy
Numpty;64974 wrote:
I will if you like, take you to a story you may well have heard of. Robin of Locksely, later to be Robin of the Hood. A Man steeped in Legend, but nothing written about him, no manuscripts. Rumour and hear say for the most part is what made the name of Robin hood. A simple story of a Man helping the poor by taking from the rich. Seized upon and used by the people of the day as a beacon of hope for the oppression of the age, stories appear of great deeds and even greater generosity, the people love him, are inspired by him, hope is once more there's to have. No-one knows him but many know someone who does. A case of Chinese whispers and urban myths.

Just like our man Jesus.

Robin Hood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Numpty;64974 wrote:
The Alexander the Great story is taken appart with the small evidence of coinage of that time.
Yet not a single written document by him or any of his followers, soldiers, generals, wives exist. The offspring of a King and God and absolutely nothing insofar as paper documents regarding his existence that are contemporaneous with him.

We know he built cities, we have some stone carving regarding him that are probably pretty close in time to his efforts, but every piece of his story comes from hundreds of years after his death.

Numpty;64974 wrote:
Google it I am sure you see that during potracted time of his conquest there are indeed coins found from that time with his deeds on them. Happy to be corrected of course.
Numpty

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:08 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;64990 wrote:
Robin Hood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaYet not a single written document by him or any of his followers, soldiers, generals, wives exist.

Mate you are taking this way too seriously, I thought the Very Happy might have given the very much tounge-in-cheek statements away.

It's been fun and your statemnets are interestsing and give some food for thought, stuff I will look at and digest in due course.

Even if Jesus as a man existed he as you rightly state he was an insignificant little rabble rouser. But really does it matter? Nah of course not, Whether he was a real person is irrelevant, we both know he was no Son of a magic man in the sky. Which funamentaly is what this all boils down to. True identity, who gives a........? Was he the son of a God, let those who claim we was provide the evidence, so far I have seen none, unless of course you have?some?
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:33 am
@Fatihah,
Happy Easter!!!!! He is Risen!!!!
Numpty

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:59 am
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;64993 wrote:
Happy Easter!!!!! He is Risen!!!!

show me Very Happy