I'm Curious. What would you do in this situation?

margo

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
We have water restrictions in Sydney, too!

One of the people in my complex has a Mercedes that he drives only on Saturday. Sunday is therefore the day it gets washed to within one inch of it's life. Multiple gallons of water and copious unknown chemicals are spent in the pursuit of cleanliness for this beast. Then it lives in it's padded garage all week!

With water restrictions, only hand washing of cars is permitted. I was wondering just how this fellow would cope. Then, the other Sunday morning, I was awake very early, and opened the bedroom window. I could hear running water. He was up at 5am, when it's still dark, hosing the very life out of it.

If I'm awake tomorrow and it happens, then I'll have to wander up and tell him, I suppose.

Hmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 08:36 pm
Hey margo! They all seem to do it early in the morning, thinking no one will see them! There's got to be a suitably sneaky way to say "Gotcha!" Twisted Evil "Caught red handed!")
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 08:48 pm
The thing that really makes me furious about these people is that they seem to think they're being CLEVER by getting away with being a Water Wally (Oz term for frivolous waster of water) when everyone else is doing the right thing! I think they think we're all mugs because we're following the restrctions. Is there any point, then, in pointing out the error of their ways to them? They already know!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 08:57 pm
I'd definitely report them if there is a severe enough shortage to cause restrictions. The water situation in many communities is serious. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between failing to report abuse of people (children, wives, for example) and failing to report abuse of a system providing a common necessity.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:05 pm
Right then! I've decided that if they continue to do it I WILL report them!(Come to think of it, last summer during restrictions, my neighbours had a vivid green lawn while the rest of us allowed ours to die, to save water.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:58 am
I've got it! Buy a super-soaker (a air-pressure powered water gun) and soak them everytime you catch them watering inappropriately .....

no?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 12:37 pm
Report 'em.
I've got no hesitation on stuff like that. Wasting water/energy. I called on some people down the street after I spoke to them about them using water during a declared emergency. Next time, I won't talk to them first.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 02:28 pm
littlek wrote:
I've got it! Buy a super-soaker (a air-pressure powered water gun) and soak them everytime you catch them watering inappropriately .....

no?

Hey, littlek! I like that! Very Happy
Only one problem, but .... Would I then be guilty of wasting water with the gun? Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 02:39 pm
ehBeth

I'm thinking along those lines more & more ... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 03:32 pm
Quote:
Only one problem, but .... Would I then be guilty of wasting water with the gun?

Try to shoot them while they're standing in the flowerbeds... two birds with one stone and like that...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 03:35 pm
Right! Got it! Look out neighbours! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 04:44 pm
Good idea Wy!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:07 pm
...but remember, they may be better armed - they've got the hose Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:32 pm
If there is an all-out water fight, water may be wasted, but it's likely that it will end with laughter and a spontaneous conversation about conservation.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:17 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:32 pm
One can hope.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:38 pm
A happy ending! Now wouldn't that be good!
0 Replies