[answered]What's with all the ****ing *****'s ...

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:12 pm
who was the meat curtains guy? sounds like a slappy thing. Laughing
Well, I for one will try to watch myself as i said as a matter of respect.
I can always go over to the wrong side of the tracks when I want to be an uncouth lout. :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:29 pm
Bear is right -- I certainly do not want to diss Craven -- and I'll try watching my language. (Tough for me! If memory serves, my first public correction came from a first grade teacher.)

I actually enjoy vulgarities -- and as many of you recognize, a properly used vulgarity can add plenty of emphasis to a comment.

The explanation Craven gave makes lots of sense to me -- and I'm glad I asked the question.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:47 pm
Quote:
I actually enjoy vulgarities -- and as many of you recognize, a properly used vulgarity can add plenty of emphasis to a comment.

So do I. I belive that a carefully placed vulgarity is like spices used in cooking . A little flavors the dish. Too much ruins it.

I think though, that we need to recognize, that on A2K, what we write is going out to half the immediate world. An some of those folks out there, especially those who pay for the advertsements, will take umbrage when we vent our spleens!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:22 pm
I understand, Phoenix.

Just that this can be a very slippery slope.

An advertiser who doesn't like vulgarities alongside his ad one day...

...may very well not like atheistic postings alongside his ad the next.

Gotta be careful about the stuff that sounds innocuous, but which carries a hidden virus.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:34 pm
Frank- I hear ya.- I can't speak for Craven, but I cannot imagine him kowtowing to an advertiser who would ask him to ban a certain subject, because it did not meet with the advertiser's approval.

Ban atheistic postings? Harrumph!!!! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 06:33 pm
It was not a slappy kind of thing, BP.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:44 pm
it was a tacky kind of thing...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 11:16 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
An advertiser who doesn't like vulgarities alongside his ad one day...

...may very well not like atheistic postings alongside his ad the next.

All advertising networks worth speaking of are cautious about forums, many simply will not advertise on forums altogether.

The ones that do, insist on the forums being moderated, as they don't want to advertise on forums of the caliber of the many forums run by and peopled by teens.

As to what topics they forbid all of them use a standard that is usually shared by most hosts.

The topics advertisers refuse to advertise on are mostly about illegal things and then the rest is a short list.

Hate speech.
Hacking and virus distribution

There might be another that I don't remember but they do not forbid topics like atheism, and if they did it would simply be their loss. The policy isn't shaped by advertisers.

Other than that there is only one other type of topic that advertisers generally avoid, and that's when they are being bashed.

For example, a site about how coke is horrible for your health would not be a site on which Coke would like to advertise.

The advertisers will not dictate policy, and the rules on vulgarity were created before a single ad had even been run on the site. Thankfully advertiser policies are not of the type that even would influence policy here. The ones with draconian policy simply avoid forums altogether as forums are inherently objectionable to them.

The ones that advertise here recognize that this is not a typical forum and that the content is superior to most forums. Thus far over 400 advertisers have rejected this site (that I know of, many others decide to do so on the avertising network's end and I am never aware if it) and they have not and will not dictate the site's policy. Most of them do not care to, if they find something objectionable they find it easier to simply avoid avertising there instead of trying to change a site.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 06:26 am
interesting,however, there goes half my vocabulary
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 06:41 am
farmerman- Bummer! Sad

Hey, did you know that your avatar is coming across as an "X" ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 10:28 am
Only half, Framer.

Think of poor me.

84.6% of all my adjectives are now kaput. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Craven

Thanks for all that info.

I promise to watch my mouth -- and I know that when I feel it absolutely necessary to use a vulgarism (which should not happen all that often) I'll do it in a way that will be acceptable.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 01:50 pm
I think we could come up with a Code , sort of like how the non-word "freakin" has been subsumed by the entertainment industry within a class of words that are "just inside " a PG-13 rating.

Im going to the kitchen and masticate. PHOENIX... I tried to change my avatar the other evening into a bunch of dynamite sticks with a timer, I think it was too big format wise, cause the haster didnt accept it and I already trashed my mini-Grant guy. On my screen , it just shows a rectangle. Do you mean it was X'd out? or do you mean my avatar is an actual X?
I wish I knew how to drop the pixels in the new one. Oh well, ill keep searching

I
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 04:13 pm
farmerman- There is a white box with a red "X" inside it.

Why don't you post your dilemma in "Forum Help". I am sure that one of the tech savvy members will come to your aid.

Do you have a photo program where you can resize the picture?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 04:49 pm
Phoenix, Id love to see what the X looks like. But, as for a photoshop or even a "light"not on this computer , I try to keep this lil laptop just for writing and forums, collecting field data and post processing geophysical data, and one email acct. Ive gotten so jittery about viruses since getting hacked at abuzz about 2 years ago. Took me a damn reinstall of everything to fix it. Im trusting but up to a point. .

Ill post to the forum help, thanks.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:43 am
I quite literally have nothing to say! But I would have to say that my ramblings interspersed with profanities have probably put the whole World Wide Web idea back a decade or two. What's worse is that I know exactly how to get around it! Sad.

NB. FMan - your avatar has not appeared on my radar for at least a week now.
Craven - Your latest one (big yellow face) looks like $hit! But, you rejigged deb's!! Pi$$ funny!! Thanks man, if we ever find ourselves on the same continent I am so buying you a drink!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:44 am
Qualifier - as an Australian the term 'a drink' may actually appear to be bigger on the bar.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:54 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Qualifier - as an Australian the term 'a drink' may actually appear to be bigger on the bar.

Craven was last on these shores when he was about 2 - I think - and he was cuddling a cat!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:04 pm
Re use of vularity in A2K:

Don't we have to censor ourselves all time? When talking to our bosses, say, even when we know that they're being (fill in favorite expletive here). Or around small children. Or our elders (well, the polite ones, anyhow).

Don't get me wrong: I cuss up a storm when I see fit, and I'm all for free speech (card-carrying member of ACLU). But there's a time and a place for it, no?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:42 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Re use of vularity in A2K:

Don't we have to censor ourselves all time? When talking to our bosses, say, even when we know that they're being (fill in favorite expletive here). Or around small children. Or our elders (well, the polite ones, anyhow).

Don't get me wrong: I cuss up a storm when I see fit, and I'm all for free speech (card-carrying member of ACLU). But there's a time and a place for it, no?

Agree with the time and place - nothing with the ACLU :wink:
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:46 am
I bet you they won't play this song on the Able2know
I bet you they won't play this new **** song
It's not that its **** or **** controversial
It's just that the ****ing words are awfully strong.
You can't say **** on the radio
Or **** or **** or ****.
You can't even say I'd like to **** you some day
Unless you're a doctor with a very large ****.
So I'll bet you they won't play this song on the radio
I bet you they won't even dare program it.
I'll bet you that ****ing old program director
Will think it's a load of horse ****.
0 Replies