[answered]Logging in

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 04:35 pm
Again I'm having trouble logging in. I finally had to change my password and even then I'm having problems. It's taken me well over half an hour to finally be accepted, and I still have to log in each time, despite checking to be automatically logged in. Rolling Eyes

Am I doing something wrong? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 941 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 06:32 pm
Tomkitten, Seems you're having the same problem I experienced a little while ago. I was informed to sign on as a guest, and let a moderator know what your problem is. They will be able to help you.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 07:24 pm
Loggin in
Even when I tried signing in as a guest the last time this happened (about a week ago) it didn't work, because I was told that my user name and/or (I forget which) password already belonged somebody. Of course it did. Rolling Eyes

If I try signing on as a guest using a totally different name and password I could reach a moderator - that is, if I knew how to reach a moderator in the first place, whichi I don't.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 08:25 pm
Tom, there are some known recurring problems with AOL but if I recall you are an MSN user (please let me know if that is wrong!).

Have you changed any of your system settings or installed any new software between the last time to sucessfully logged in and now?

Occassionaly users with problems like your's have been able to fix it by deleting the "cookies" in their WWW browser so you might want to try that as a first step.

And if you have more problems and need to contact a Moderator you can do it by just posting in the "Help" forum as you did here (you can continue using this thread for now). If things are really desperate open this thread and click on one of the "Report" icons with the red check and type your problem into the box that pops up. That'll send an e-mail to each of the Moderators. Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:01 pm
From reading the last month's worth of topics you've started about all the problems you are having with your computer, it sounds like they are all a result of a recent change or upgrade you made to a Symantec program and that it is a known problem to them.

Have you checked their support site recently to see if they've issued a fix or update for the problems?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:04 pm
If you want to go through a process to confirm whether or not the Symantec program is indeed the source of all these problems, you could consider uninstalling the Symantec program and then try using the computer in the methods that were causing earlier problems.

If the problems do not repeat, then that narrows it down quite a bit. You might even try reinstalling the Symantec program without the recent update and see if you continue to have problem-free computing.

If so, then the decision to be made is whether or not to install that buggy update.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:18 pm
Re: Loggin in
Tomkitten wrote:
...If I try signing on as a guest using a totally different name and password I could reach a moderator - that is, if I knew how to reach a moderator in the first place, whichi I don't.

Please don't do this. Instead, if you can't sign in, go to the Help page (there's a large blue button at the top of every page, right side) and click to send a form to Support. This way, your problem will go to the right people. Thank you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 11:19 pm
Tomkitten,

Since you are posting here your account is clearly functional and you know/remember the password etc.

As to being logged out it sounds like some software on your computer is affecting cookie settings. fishin's advice is a good lead.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 03:05 pm
Logging in
Removing the 2004 Norton and replacing it with the 2003 seems to have done the trick. Very Happy

Now - to see if Symantec will refund my money (ha ha ha). Rolling Eyes
0 Replies