People Are Not Replacing Aging Computers

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 11:50 am
Looks like the economy has burst the bubble in P.C. sales:

Link to Article on Computer Sales

How old is YOUR computer, and do you plan to upgrade your entire system in the near future?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,242 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 03:29 pm
Just got a "remaindered" computer on sale at the end of the summer--256Meg RAM, 40Gig HD, 1.6Gig co-processor--need to get a new graphics card for playing games, but, otherwise, it's cool . . . an' it only cost me less than $500. Picked up a used 17" monitor for $80.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 03:45 am
I'm running a windows 98 and I'm not sure if that's considered old, but I will upgrade in the future when the time comes. Just like my 4 TV's, lol.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 05:07 am
I would love to upgrade - but getting my car stolen put paid to that!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 08:06 am
I wind up replacing a machine about every three years .... when it is no longer practical to further update it. The oldest one here is a vintage '99 PIII 700 Mhz machine, running XP on 512 MB of memory, and during its tenure has had just about everything but its case replaced with something newer and "better". I anticipate replacing it with a new top-of-the-line machine, self-built, sometime early next year, when 3Ghz processors are no longer commanding the inevitable "Faster, Newer" premium. The newest machine here is a vintage '01 P4 2Ghz machine, running XP on a gig of Rambus, and has already had both its optical drives, its Zip drive, video card, and sound card upgraded, as well as having USB2, a second hard drive, and Wi-Fi added. There are still 1 bay and two expansion slots available.

In my youngrer days, I customized cars and motorcycles. I don't get anywhere near as dirty playing with computers, and I've never had a wreck or gotten a ticket with one.

timber
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 12:58 pm
My last computer was also my first...so for years and years I upgraded it myself until it could not be upgraded further.
This one is only two years old and is just fine as it stands, I made sure it wasnt going to need much soon. I figure in a year or two I could upgrade, maybe.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 06:14 pm
Timber since you are into building look at www.newegg.com
lots of cool stuff, the one I'm getting ready to build is parting out of there.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 06:38 pm
My computer will be two in February. It's a P3. I added memory and upgraded to Win2000. I'm happy with it and I don't see a need to replace it.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 07:20 pm
I probably have one of the oldest computers on the face of the earth. It's almost 5 years old and still going (but not as strong as I'd like it to). I've thought about replacing it, but I'm so technically impaired, I hate the thought of setting up a new one. So I'll probably just keep this one until it blows up!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 07:26 pm
Mine will be a year old in Febuary and like the Swimpstress, I added memory and upgraded it to Win2000. I figure it's good for another year at least.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 07:34 pm
[pouting]windows xp sucks, can't play my old dos window games[/pouting]
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 07:37 pm
Game playing probably drives more home computer purchases/upgrades than anything else! Luckily I never got addicted to the darn things so I can live with my systems longer than a lot of people I know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 07:43 pm
I ain't addicted, come . . . (i'd better build the chapel here, an' leave room for the school and the tavern) . . . come on, fishin', i . . . (hey, there's supposed to be a scimitar +2 on this level !) . . . i just use them to . . . (dont' make an alliance with Sun Ce, you can't trust him as far as you can spit) . . . use them to kill a little . . . (so buy cotton in Alexandria, trade for sugar in Madiera, use that to trade for vanilla in Havana, and then go sell the vanilla for a killing in Alexandria . . . ) . . . to kill a little time, that's all . . .

WHAT, YOU ROTTON SOB, I HAD HIM ON THE ROPES, AND YOU CRASH . . . AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA . . . [/i]

I can quit any time i want . . . .
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 02:08 am
setanta, that's another reason I don't want to buy a new computer now. I think they all come with xp, and from what i've heard, I don't want to deal with that. I'll wait a while, see if they can come up with something that's not quite so buggy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 02:19 am
Mine is two years old, a Pentium III, upgraded to a "good medium average" = good enough for me and at least another year.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 09:21 pm
My little laptop is almost 3 and it better last another year, because I can't afford to replace it!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 09:27 pm
Mine is two and all I use it for is internetting and games. With my cable modem, it is quite fast so I have no intention of replacing it till it breaks, or I win Lotto.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 04:01 am
My trusty computer tech. has replaced/upgraded all the various bits & pieces for me .... all that's left is the old monitor. Still using Windows 98 though. Suits my purposes. Mind you, I don't get up to much fancy stuff.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 07:00 am
I hardly use mine at home (it is 3 yrs old) - except for surfing on the web and that too very rarely. It works fine and have no plans to replace it.

Most of the time I use my work laptop, which is state of art .... :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:25 pm
Yesterday, my windows ME broke down. Thinking that I had to re-install all the programs and software (and I've quite a few) after formating the computer, I remembered this thread (honestly!) and got a new computer.
Just installed the anti-virus-software and the Windows updates, sent two email answers to my friends and are now for the first time "really online" with my new computer.
0 Replies