What did Christ teach about war for his followers?

wvpeach

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 07:20 am
There is so much that the different denominations of religion cannot agree about.

But I think they could agree about the basic teachings of Christ our Lord and savior , the name by which all men must approach God.

Matthew 22:36-37 Master which is the greatest commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love they neighbor as thy self. All the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments.

And in Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you;do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you.That ye may be the children of your father which is in heaven, for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good. And sendth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Verse 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Love our enemies, be perfect ???? Can a human be perfect? The above are the words of our Lord Jesus and he told us to be perfect as our Father who is in heaven is. What did he mean how can a human be perfect?

Love the greatest commandment of Christ. The Love of God and the Love of our neighbors. So who are our neighbors ? Is that word neighbor limited to just the people who live on your street? Or does it mean the people who live in your entire community? Do countries have neighbors? Lots of question all needing study and prayer for the truthful answers. Anybody interested in discussing what the bible teach's about war and participation in it for the followers of Christ?......... Lets do it!

Citizenship Article- This link lists biblical reasons to resist going to war for the followers of christ. I offer it only because it lists so many scriptures that would apply to what christ taught about war where his followers were concerned. Lots and lots of scripture given in this article so it will require some reading and study. It is done in a blck background with blue writing, if anybody knows how to change it to a white background please do and post for the rest of us as I have a hard time reading in dark colors.

I look forward to a fruitful discussion on the topic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,500 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Sabz5150

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:33 am
@wvpeach,
Jesus taught that war and conflict was wrong. Plain and simple. When he was taken to be crucified, he told his followers not to fight, hold true to the beliefs that war, strife, killing, etc. were wrong.

And there's of course the big one: Thou shalt not kill.

I don't see any asterisk or footnote saying who can and cannot be killed. It does not specify any reasons or exceptions to this rule whatsoever. Usually, if there's killing to be done in the Bible, God does it himself. The floods, Sodom and Gomorrah, the Egypt first-born thing, they are all God or his angels doing the dirty work.

From what I can gather from the Bible, man is not given the authority to pass ultimate judgment upon another under the vast majority of cases. Granted there are exceptions, but that is for a different discussion (Those exceptions are rather graphic and quite nasty).

During the Crusades it was the Pope (Sir Toppemhat, the man who talks DIRECTLY to God), who decreed that killing and stealing from the Muslims was sanctioned by God because they were non-believers. This was also the decree used when the New World was discovered... the general mantra being "Convert or kill". The Mayan civilization was utterly destroyed by Christians of this era... only six written texts from the Mayans exist today, almost all of them being burned IN FRONT OF THE MAYANS, because they were "the words of Satan".

How'd you like to be forced to watch the destruction of your culture's entire history? it's devastating... there are things they knew back then that our scientists still cannot explain.

What Jesus taught and what the Church teaches its followers are two completely different things.
mlurp

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:57 am
@Sabz5150,
Jesus also told His, disciples in the 24th Chapter of Matthew, verses 4-7 That there will be wars and rumors of wars. And that these things MUST come to pass, but the end is not yet. #7 For nation shall rise against nation. And Kingdom against Kingdoms (meaning those in the middle east our enemies and friends in that area, and others in other places) And there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes in places.
He also warned not to be deceived. As many will come in His, name. Gee pestilences and famine. How could that be in todays perfect world. Or perfect World if we delete America and Israel. Think again!!!!!
wvpeach

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:16 pm
@mlurp,
Sabz5150- Sabz for speeds sake from now on.

It is probablly no coincidence that you should mention the Mayans amd the things they knew that were lost and the world has had to rediscover or has not yet discovered. The link I gave in my first post comes from people who have a lot to say about the "Daleth" and "Heh" dimensions , calendars from different civilizations and other stuff I am not too well researched in . But I am working on it as the Holy Spirit is willing to teach me it. They are certainly Christians and profess Christ on that site. But they have lots of info that is in depth about how God orders and numbers the world and how it works. You might find a longer look at that site worth your efforts. I am unfamiliar with some of it , but the Holy Spirit within me has not told me it is wrong.

I agree with everything you said about war and killing sabz. I hope we can expand on this topic and prepare ourselves for what may be coming in the near future together.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 02:48 pm
@wvpeach,
Just the fact that they counted in base-twenty speaks volumes.
wvpeach

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:49 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz.

I do not know what you are talking about. What is base 20 ? Can you help me understand in simple layman terms?

I am going to email you with my email address real quick so we can keep in touch. I may be banned as I have opposed silverchild maybe one too many times in the idea that all the sick and needy should be left to die.

I believe we should care for them and help them grow with sensible common sense programs to encourage independence . But that we have no right to judge who needs and deserves help. I believe that Christ said we are to help and he did not say we get to decide who deserves it.

Silverchild seems to disagree with me strongly.

I have noticed that without a doubt if you disagree with silverchild you get banned . If that happens I will not be coming back.

So pick up my email so we can keep in touch.
Campbell34

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:55 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;39936 wrote:
Jesus taught that war and conflict was wrong. Plain and simple. When he was taken to be crucified, he told his followers not to fight, hold true to the beliefs that war, strife, killing, etc. were wrong.

And there's of course the big one: Thou shalt not kill.

I don't see any asterisk or footnote saying who can and cannot be killed. It does not specify any reasons or exceptions to this rule whatsoever. Usually, if there's killing to be done in the Bible, God does it himself. The floods, Sodom and Gomorrah, the Egypt first-born thing, they are all God or his angels doing the dirty work.

From what I can gather from the Bible, man is not given the authority to pass ultimate judgment upon another under the vast majority of cases. Granted there are exceptions, but that is for a different discussion (Those exceptions are rather graphic and quite nasty).

During the Crusades it was the Pope (Sir Toppemhat, the man who talks DIRECTLY to God), who decreed that killing and stealing from the Muslims was sanctioned by God because they were non-believers. This was also the decree used when the New World was discovered... the general mantra being "Convert or kill". The Mayan civilization was utterly destroyed by Christians of this era... only six written texts from the Mayans exist today, almost all of them being burned IN FRONT OF THE MAYANS, because they were "the words of Satan".

How'd you like to be forced to watch the destruction of your culture's entire history? it's devastating... there are things they knew back then that our scientists still cannot explain.

What Jesus taught and what the Church teaches its followers are two completely different things.

"Thou shalt not kill" Correctly translated is, "You shall not murder", Murder is killing without cause. And the New Testament clearly states that if POSSIBLE live at peace with all men. Even the New Testament tells us there my be times living at peace with all men my not be possible. I believe the Bible has the correct balance here, yet it appears to me you are not looking at all the Scripture within that balance. And the Crusades was a responce to the Muslims who first started killing Christians by the thousands because they would not convert to Islam. Mayan civilization was very much deep into human sacrifice so I doubt if they were operating within a faith of compassion. That is not to justify what happend to them, yet please don't hold them up as pure in Spirit.

Also, it would be a big mistake to believe that God Himself only does the killing. God ordered Joshua and his people in the Old Testament to kill every man, woman, and child in Canaan. And that was just one example.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 01:27 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39960 wrote:
Sabz5150- Sabz for speeds sake from now on.

It is probablly no coincidence that you should mention the Mayans amd the things they knew that were lost and the world has had to rediscover or has not yet discovered. The link I gave in my first post comes from people who have a lot to say about the "Daleth" and "Heh" dimensions , calendars from different civilizations and other stuff I am not too well researched in . But I am working on it as the Holy Spirit is willing to teach me it. They are certainly Christians and profess Christ on that site. But they have lots of info that is in depth about how God orders and numbers the world and how it works. You might find a longer look at that site worth your efforts. I am unfamiliar with some of it , but the Holy Spirit within me has not told me it is wrong.

I agree with everything you said about war and killing sabz. I hope we can expand on this topic and prepare ourselves for what may be coming in the near future together.

Opppps clicked the wrong Quote.
SWORD of GOD

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 06:19 am
@mlurp,
Jesus according to the Christians is supposed to be God. Therefore Jesus should had inspired the Old Testament. Unless, Christians now deny that Jesus is God of Moses and the OT!! Therefore the following quoted biblical verses were supposed to be inspired by JESUS.

The following is published publicaly in a known religious christian website: LANOVER BAPTIST CHURCH website Dancing in Taliban Blood! Praise Jesus!

TOP TEN BIBLICAL WAYS TO WAGE WAR AGAINST THE TALIBAN:
Dancing in Taliban Blood: God's 10 Secrets for the Perfect War!

In this age of the secularization (Satanization) of society, America’s 21st century soldiers may not know how God wants them to behave while fighting our enemies. The following are the 10 most prominent Biblical tips for waging a Godly war in the Middle East.

10. AFTER CONQUERING A CITY, IF YOU FIND A DECENT LOOKING WOMAN UNDER ONE OF THOSE BEE KEEPER OUTFITS, MAKE HER YOUR SLAVE.

“And when the Lord thy God hath delivered [a city] into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword: But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself”(Deuteronomy 20:13-14).
“And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males.... And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods”(Numbers 31:7-9).

9. THOUGH INCONVENIENT, WHEN KILLING THE PEOPLE, BE SURE TO NOT TO HURT THEIR TREES (‘CAUSE THAT WOULD BE WASTEFUL).

“When thou shalt besiege a city a long time, in making war against it to take it, thou shalt not destroy the trees thereof by forcing an axe against them: for thou mayeth eat of them, and thou shalt not cut them down (for the tree of the field is man’s life) to employ them in the siege”(Deuteronomy 20:19).

8. DON’T STOP WITH KILLING THEIR SOLDIERS. RUB IT IN. DIP YOUR FEET IN THEIR BLOOD AND LET YOUR DOGS DRINK IT.

“But God shall wound the head of his enemies, and the hairy scalp of such an one as goeth on still in his trespasses. The Lord said, I will bring again from Bashan, I will bring my people again from the depths of the sea: That thy foot may be dipped in the blood of thine enemies, and the tongue of thy dogs in the same”(Psalms 68:21-23).

7. DON’T ANONYMOUSLY KILL BIN LADEN AND OMAR IN A BOMBING RAID. AFTER KILLING THEIR FOLLOWERS, PUBLICLY HANG THEM FOR ALL TO SEE.

“For Joshua drew not his hand back, wherewith he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.... And Joshua burnt Ai, and made it an heap for ever, even a desolation unto this day. And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until eventide”(Joshua 8:26-29).

6. GIVE THEM A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE. CUT OFF THEIR HANDS AND FEET BEFORE HANGING THEM.

“And David commanded his young men, and they slew them, and cut off their hands and their feet, and hanged them up over the pool in Hebron”(2 Samuel 4:12).

5. NEVER NEGOTIATE WITH THE ENEMY. KILL THEM, SHOWING NO MERCY AT ALL.

“And when the Lord thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them”(Deuteronomy 7:2).

4. DON’T BE A SISSY. HAVE NO COMPASSION FOR THESE NON-BELIEVERS. KILL THEM WHILE THEY’RE PRAYING IN CHURCH. KILL YOUNG AND OLD ALIKE, AND EVEN THOSE TOO FEEBLE TO DEFEND THEMSELVES.

“But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words, and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the Lord arose against his people, till there was no remedy. Therefore he brought upon them the king of the Chaldees, who slew their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, and had no compassion upon young man or maiden, old man, or him that stooped for age: he gave them all into his hand”(2 Chronicles 36:16-17).

3. DON’T JUST KILL THE HEATHENS. STEAL THEIR PROPERTY AND GIVE IT TO THE SOUTHERN BAPTIST CONVENTION.

“And they burnt the city with fire, and all that was therein: only the silver, and the gold, and the vessels of brass and of iron, they put into the treasury of the house of the Lord”(Joshua 6:24).

2. DON’T WASTE MONEY ON P.O.W. CAMPS. THROW YOUR CAPTIVES OFF A CLIFF.

“And Amaziah said to the man of God, But what shall we do for the hundred talents which I have given to the army of Israel? And the man of God answered, The Lord is able to give thee much more than this.... And Amaziah strengthened himself ... and smote the children of Seir ten thousand. And other ten thousand left alive did the children of Judah carry away captive, and brought them unto the top of the rock, and cast them down from the top of the rock, that they all were broken in pieces”(2 Chronicles 25:9-12).

1. JUST REMEMBER THIS SIMPLE RULE: KILL EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES AND DESTROY EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.

“But of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth”(Deuteronomy 20:16).
“Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city [of nonbelievers] with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword”(1 Samuel 13:15).

“And that day Joshua took Makkedah, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof he utterly destroyed, them, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain: and he did to the king of Makkedah as he did unto the king of Jerico. Then Joshua passed from Makkedah, and all Israel with him, unto Libnah, and fought against Libnah: And the Lord delivered it also, and the king thereof, into the hand of Israel: and he smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain in it”(Joshua 10:29-30).

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass”(1 Samuel 15:3).

Check for yourself Dancing in Taliban Blood! Praise Jesus!
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:37 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;40020 wrote:
Sabz.

I do not know what you are talking about. What is base 20 ? Can you help me understand in simple layman terms?

I am going to email you with my email address real quick so we can keep in touch. I may be banned as I have opposed silverchild maybe one too many times in the idea that all the sick and needy should be left to die.

I believe we should care for them and help them grow with sensible common sense programs to encourage independence . But that we have no right to judge who needs and deserves help. I believe that Christ said we are to help and he did not say we get to decide who deserves it.

Silverchild seems to disagree with me strongly.

I have noticed that without a doubt if you disagree with silverchild you get banned . If that happens I will not be coming back.

So pick up my email so we can keep in touch.

That is what a board is all about. I disagre with more than one here or on several other sites. But leaving isn't the answer wvpeach. Stay and become a mod/admin. then get even. looool
Your loved and liked even by Silverchild79, if his faith is as strong as his opinions. Same for all others claimming to be a child of God.
SWORD of GOD

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm
@mlurp,
[SIZE="3"]Jesus Loves You !!!...The Big Christian LIE[/SIZE]

Jesus said : " But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and SLAY THEM BEFORE me. " ( LUKE 19:27)

Jesus said: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to put a man against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A person's enemies will be the members of his own family. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. " (Matthew 10:34-36)

Jesus said:
[Luke 12:49]'I came to cast fire upon the earth, and would that it were already kindled.. Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for from henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two, and two against three. They will be divided, father against son, and son against father, mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother.'

Jesus said:
[Luke 14:26] "if any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife, and children, and brothers and sisters yes and even his own life: he cannot be my disciple."
mlurp

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 07:42 pm
@SWORD of GOD,
First... Quote: Jesus according to the Christians is supposed to be God. Therefore Jesus should had inspired the Old Testament. Unless, Christians now deny that Jesus is God of Moses and the OT!! Therefore the following quoted biblical verses were supposed to be inspired by JESUS. End Quote, Try the Trinity. There is a diffenence. He, fulfilled the portions of the O.T. He, was required to do.

SWORD of GOD;40156 wrote:

Jesus said : " But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and SLAY THEM BEFORE me. " ( LUKE 19:27)

Jesus said: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to put a man against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A person's enemies will be the members of his own family. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. " (Matthew 10:34-36)

Jesus said:
[Luke 12:49]'I came to cast fire upon the earth, and would that it were already kindled.. Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for from henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two, and two against three. They will be divided, father against son, and son against father, mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother.'

Jesus said:
[Luke 14:26] "if any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife, and children, and brothers and sisters yes and even his own life: he cannot be my disciple."

Yes He, is a strong God. And doesn't bend one way or the other. Unlike Allah. Who allows what can't be had on earth to be gained in his heaven if you destory your and others life. There is a big difference. Jesus, has a guide His, Holy word. While th eKoran can be used by mear men to chnge the meaning of love to hate. Then to killing in the name of Islam. Notice Not His name but what he suppose to have started in the faith. what say ye to this?
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 06:04 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39909 wrote:
There is so much that the different denominations of religion cannot agree about.

But I think they could agree about the basic teachings of Christ our Lord and savior , the name by which all men must approach God.

Matthew 22:36-37 Master which is the greatest commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love they neighbor as thy self. All the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments.

And in Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you;do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you.That ye may be the children of your father which is in heaven, for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good. And sendth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Verse 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Love our enemies, be perfect ???? Can a human be perfect? The above are the words of our Lord Jesus and he told us to be perfect as our Father who is in heaven is. What did he mean how can a human be perfect?

Love the greatest commandment of Christ. The Love of God and the Love of our neighbors. So who are our neighbors ? Is that word neighbor limited to just the people who live on your street? Or does it mean the people who live in your entire community? Do countries have neighbors? Lots of question all needing study and prayer for the truthful answers. Anybody interested in discussing what the bible teach's about war and participation in it for the followers of Christ?......... Lets do it!

Citizenship Article- This link lists biblical reasons to resist going to war for the followers of christ. I offer it only because it lists so many scriptures that would apply to what christ taught about war where his followers were concerned. Lots and lots of scripture given in this article so it will require some reading and study. It is done in a blck background with blue writing, if anybody knows how to change it to a white background please do and post for the rest of us as I have a hard time reading in dark colors.

I look forward to a fruitful discussion on the topic.

You're correct...He also said that those who live by the sword will die by the sword. A true Christian is a peace maker and not a war monger. And it does not matter who start it first, if you engage in it you are just as bad as the one who started it.
Brian764

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 06:29 pm
@SWORD of GOD,
SWORD of GOD;40156 wrote:

Jesus said:

Jesus said:
wvpeach

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 07:09 pm
@Brian764,
Well said Brain , I applaud your wisdom, certainly we both know it was not flesh that revealed this truth to you , it was the Holy Spirit of God . Praise him for his goodness and mercy to all.

Brian@764;40959 wrote:
You're correct...He also said that those who live by the sword will die by the sword. A true Christian is a peace maker and not a war monger. And it does not matter who start it first, if you engage in it you are just as bad as the one who started it.
wvpeach

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 07:10 pm
@Brian764,
You and I are in agreement Brian . Glad to meet you.

Brian@764;40960 wrote:
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 07:22 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;40970 wrote:
Well said Brain , I applaud your wisdom, certainly we both know it was not flesh that revealed this truth to you , it was the Holy Spirit of God . Praise him for his goodness and mercy to all.

Thank you, and those who are of God will receive anyone who is of God.
wvpeach

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 09:22 pm
@Brian764,
My brother , welcome , I receive and welcome you.

Brian@764;40974 wrote:
Thank you, and those who are of God will receive anyone who is of God.
0 Replies

SWORD of GOD

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 10:05 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;40960 wrote:
You're mistaken because you don't understand the scriptures. Jesus is talking about a situation that will take place after His second coming. Jesus will return and sit up His kingdom on the earth....His people (Christians) will rule with Him. Those who refused to accept God's gracious and bountiful love and mercy will ultimately be destroyed…..the world to come will not be business as usual. No longer will mankind be aloud to oppress his fellow brother or sister, no longer will greed aloud to run wild at the expense on others. Love will be the order of the day…God will see to it that no rebellious person be aloud to spread/infect others…the earth will truly be at peace.

Matthew 10:34-36 and Luke 12:49 is speaking about the conflict that Christians will go through, even by there own family. You see God's ways are always in conflict with the carnal nature of mankind. So when a person who has been born of God, will constantly comes into conflict with those who are not.

What Jesus is saying in Luke 14:26 is that a Christian most love Jesus/God so much, that in comparison to our family it would seem as if he or see hates them....it simply means to love less. A Christians is to love God more than he/she loves even themselves.

I have argued many times with others in this forum and other forums about this point and I am not going to do it here. The passages I quoted from your own bible are crystal clear and they don't need any explanation. However, the christian apologists -like yourself- will do anything to create nonsense interpretations and even to deny what the biblical Jesus himself said.

I just want you to answer one simple question:

Is Jesus the God of Moses and the Old Testament?
Brian764

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:37 am
@SWORD of GOD,
SWORD of GOD;40984 wrote:
I have argued many times with others in this forum and other forums about this point and I am not going to do it here. The passages I quoted from your own bible are crystal clear and they don't need any explanation. However, the christian apologists -like yourself- will do anything to create nonsense interpretations and even to deny what the biblical Jesus himself said.

I just want you to answer one simple question:

Is Jesus the God of Moses and the Old Testament?

Yes He is.