Capital Punishment

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 02:49 am
[INDENT]disclaimer: THIS DOES NOT DESCRIBE ALL CHRISTIANS, NOR IS IT IMPLIED, SUGGESTED, THOUGHT ABOUT, DESIRED, DREAMED OF, WISHED FOR, PRAYED ABOUT, WRITTEN ABOUT, TALKED ABOUT, JOKED OVER, SUNG OR WHISPERED BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,723 • Replies: 50
No top replies

politically-wrong

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 04:59 am
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33687 wrote:
[INDENT]disclaimer: THIS DOES NOT DESCRIBE ALL CHRISTIANS, NOR IS IT IMPLIED, SUGGESTED, THOUGHT ABOUT, DESIRED, DREAMED OF, WISHED FOR, PRAYED ABOUT, WRITTEN ABOUT, TALKED ABOUT, JOKED OVER, SUNG OR WHISPERED BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

Quote:
I am not saying that murderers, serial killers and psychopaths should walk around free

you didnot mention what you are saying about them, jail terms do not stop others from commiting the same BS , do you think the muslim world does not have sick minded people who would like to rape and murder ? we do have them , but why do we not have the same percentages and numbers of murders and rapes? because they know their heads would be chopped off next friday (in the case of commiting murders) , these kind of criminals should be wiped out from society , once their guilt is proven , why should law abidding citizens suffer the death of loved ones by cold blooded murderers who would do it for 20 bucks again and again ?!! they dont deserve to live simply put , feeding them and giving them shelter in jails for 20 to 25 years isnot good enough , plus why should my tax money pay for any living style of a murderer , whether that life style is good or bad , better put it to work to pay for helping the homeless who would become criminals if not helped than buy food with it for a murderer , just kill them and rid society of their trouble.

dont be shocked by my words , iam being ultra frank because i will never meet you in real life Very Happy and whats the use of discussing a topic if you cant be frank about your opinion.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 06:28 am
@FedUpAmerican,
I expect nothing but frankness.

What about "the sanctity of life" that Christians lie about though???

disclaimer: THIS DOES NOT DESCRIBE ALL CHRISTIANS, NOR IS IT IMPLIED, SUGGESTED, THOUGHT ABOUT, DESIRED, DREAMED OF, WISHED FOR, PRAYED ABOUT, WRITTEN ABOUT, TALKED ABOUT, JOKED OVER, SUNG OR WHISPERED BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:17 am
@FedUpAmerican,
Only four hundred in texas, how many abortions do you think there is in comparison?
Quote:
Now, why would an all-powerful god not just take care of the nasty job of executing these people himself instead of having humans break his laws and kill another person for breaking his laws and killing another person?
Freewill.
Quote:
Better question yet, if this god is all-powerful, omniscient, and omnipresent, knowing past, present and future, then why allow these humans to be born and live in the first place if they are only going to cause trouble for society anyway???
Freewill.
Quote:
But I am sure that believers in all of their creativeness will make up whatever answers they want that supports their barbaric desires to see someone die (and the more violent the better), and revenge will make them feel good.
I suppose the none believers will even concoct an even wilder story. Like the flying sphagetti monster to explain the Big Bang. So do you believe in science's version of the big bang, Caused or uncaused/cause?
Quote:
It’s not much different than the stoning that goes on in the Middle East that is justified via the Qur’an.
Really, show me a person that would pick your example given the choice?
Quote:
The mentality of the crowds that cheer and praise god for his “almighty justice” is just as twisted as the person who is being put to death for their premeditated murderous acts.
How does it compare to people who cheered when they saw two planes fly into the towers? So is there any point to which you think another human should die for his own acts, can you put a figure on it?
Quote:
It seems that for too many people, religion makes them more revengeful and driven to support violence and back it all up with their ancient mythology books.
So what do you think humas did before we had books? I bet it was utopia huh?
I think our population was relatively small and it wasn't untill we instituted organized religion, that is when population went through the roof.
Quote:
I am not saying that murderers, serial killers and psychopaths should walk around free,
Here comes the slippery slope. What are you saying? What's the penalty according to FUA? Lets see how fair and just you are.
Quote:
but the way these delusional people believe that their imaginary friend wants them to do his dirty work is almost as crazy or terrible as the murderer themselves.
After you've decided somebodys fate, who is gonna do your dirty work?
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:30 am
@FedUpAmerican,
Justice against someone who has committed a heinous crime isn't about religion. It's just that, justice. Not revenge.

Why is capital punishment not acceptable but partial birth abortion or euthanasia acceptable?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
@FedUpAmerican,
I have three thoughts on capitol punishment

1. We used to hang horse thieves, now we give car thieves probation and wonder why there is so much crime

2. Rope is like $1.50 a yard

3. Trees don't cost money to use

Not saying I would actually hang car thieves but murderer's, those who commit treason, repeat child molesters and rapists, & those who are convicted of three violent felonies should hang from the gallows.

It isn't a matter of eye for an eye or something as barbaric as that. If you aren't willing to be a productive member of planet earth society should reserve the right to show you the door...
westernmom

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:41 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33726 wrote:

1. We used to hang horse thieves, now we give car thieves probation and wonder why there is so much crime

Not saying I would actually hang car thieves but murderer's, those who commit treason, repeat child molesters and rapists, & those who are convicted of three violent felonies should hang from the gallows.

It isn't a matter of eye for an eye or something as barbaric as that. If you aren't willing to be a productive member of planet earth society should reserve the right to show you the door...

Exactly! Another scary thing rears it's head as well...

It's not my fault:

Society made me do it. My father abused me. I forgot to take my depression drugs. I'm rich and I can do what I want. I'm poor and my welfare check didn't come last week. The planet is getting warmer and I couldn't take the heat.

Everyone has an excuse and no one has to pay the piper anymore.
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:42 am
@FedUpAmerican,
I cannot approve of the death penalty. Way too many people have been in jail for many years , only to have been proven innocent down the road.

We could give people the choice of death if they admit they did the crime. Some would prefer to die as opposed to spending life in prison.

I saw it on the news this morning and lots of people think the guy being killed in Texas today is innocent.

If they say they are innocent, I don't see how we can kill them, because even though it may be a really small chance, just maybe they really are innocent.

Now to save money on prisons we could end the failed war on drugs and go a different route there. The prisons would empty right out and we could afford to keep a few suspected and convicted murders in jail for life if need be.
Silverchild79

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:47 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;33730 wrote:
I cannot approve of the death penalty. Way too many people have been in jail for many years , only to have been proven innocent down the road.

Fewer then you think. And in the vast majority of those cases it was previously unusable DNA evidence which turned the tide. As Criminal cases are being tried with DNA on the front end now, I would expect that trend to work downward within the next 30 years.
Silverchild79

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:53 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;33730 wrote:

Now to save money on prisons we could end the failed war on drugs and go a different route there. The prisons would empty right out and we could afford to keep a few suspected and convicted murders in jail for life if need be.

Here is where I agree with you and depart from my conservative base. It's funny how pot was made illegal in 1932, the same year the prohibition ended. It's even funnier that those agents assigned to prohibition transitioned immediately into drug enforcement. Sounds like a bit of a case oh big government not wanting to shrink or let go to me.

The research is in and Pot is no worse for anybody then Alcohol is. I'm not a smoker myself but it must be realized that if made legal (and taxed) we could raise/save billions in money which could go to fight the Meth/Crack epidemic in our country.

It would also remove the stigma of Pot as a gateway drug. The reason Pot is a gateway drug is because people try it and inncorrectly think that all drugs must be as fun and nonaddictive, because socially we tend to group them all together..
FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:01 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33726 wrote:

I'm following your train of thought here and somewhat agree but who will be judge? With the amount of corruption that goes on in "planet earths society" whos to say people with opposing views won't one day be "shown the gallows?"
FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:04 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33733 wrote:
I'm not a pot smoker myself...

I am, but I never inhale. :cool:
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:21 am
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33739 wrote:
I'm following your train of thought here and somewhat agree but who will be judge?

the man I will appoint as Attorney General when I'm elected President

Joe Arpaio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:thumbup:
westernmom

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:23 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;33730 wrote:

We could give people the choice of death if they admit they did the crime. Some would prefer to die as opposed to spending life in prison.

I saw it on the news this morning and lots of people think the guy being killed in Texas today is innocent.

If they say they are innocent, I don't see how we can kill them, because even though it may be a really small chance, just maybe they really are innocent.

The statistics of a guilty person escaping from jail is much higher than the statistics of the innocents who have been put to death. How many innocents have died at the hands of escapees? Where's the balance in that?

Also, just because they protest their innocence does not make them innocent. If they have the propensity to kill they will certainly lie about it!

And to address the question of who's to judge and sentence? That's what the jury system is for. It takes the onus off of one and puts it onto many.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:24 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33742 wrote:
the man I will appoint as Attorney General when I'm elected President

Joe Arpaio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:thumbup:

He's a courageous man! Hope you get elected!
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:25 am
@Silverchild79,
Excellent post about the failed drug war silver child. I totally agree! Too many examples out there in countries who have legalized drugs and their society did not fall apart. There prisons are not filled either with people that should not be there.

And the war on drugs is causing some bad feelings among thrid world country people. The US pays for chemical iraddication of drug crops. The only problem is the planes spray some food crops too, making it hard for them to feed themselves and the rate of cancer in those countries is reported to be 5 X's higher than average.

Now even if I was a illiterate person , with no education available to me. I would understand that something that killed my crops might kill me and probablly was why the people around me were dying slow deaths.

I am not going to try to further my case against capital punishment. There are some bad people in this world and death for them would make the world a better place. But I do try to follow the teachings of Christ. And because I happen to know people have been proven innocent who have set in jails for decades I cannot cast a vote to kill anyone.

As for DNA , the recent prosecuter abuses for those LA Crosse team kids and DNA " experts" being busted for fudging reports. Completely discredited as not having even done the test, yet reporting so and so's DNA was a positive match.

Our justice system is run by people, and people do bad things. The justice system is not ammune to abuse.

I have seen farmers jailed for selling six hogs to feed the rest because they went bankrupt and the bank says they owned those hogs. Convicted of felony crimes and sentenced to long sentences.

I have seen a woman jailed for six years because she was driving a car that pot was found in. She swore it wasn't hers , drug tested clean, but would not tell who she thought it might be. Her three pre teen children went into the foster care system.

I have seen way too many abuses of the courts and its a game to some prosecuters , all they care about is their conviction rate staying high.

And don't get me started on the federal laws. Kids can't get student loans if they have ever even been in court accused of having even 1 joint.

We don't want to set them on the straight path, we want to fill those prisons so they can make Broyhill furniture and Levi jeans.

Which by the way, everything I know about the prisons is that they can be self sustaining and not cost the tax payers a dime. They make products under contracts to large companies , yet we still shell out big bucks per prisoner, what is wrong with that picture?

Silverchild79;33733 wrote:
Here is where I agree with you and depart from my conservative base. It's funny how pot was made illegal in 1932, the same year the prohibition ended. It's even funnier that those agents assigned to prohibition transitioned immediately into drug enforcement. Sounds like a bit of a case oh big government not wanting to shrink or let go to me.

The research is in and Pot is no worse for anybody then Alcohol is. I'm not a smoker myself but it must be realized that if made legal (and taxed) we could raise/save billions in money which could go to fight the Meth/Crack epidemic in our country.

It would also remove the stigma of Pot as a gateway drug. The reason Pot is a gateway drug is because people try it and inncorrectly think that all drugs must be as fun and nonaddictive, because socially we tend to group them all together..
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:36 am
@FedUpAmerican,
Western Mom

Our jury's may never hear the truth though. There are so many stupid laws about what can and cannot be heard in court.

I had a friend walk away scott free 15 years ago from what would have been like her 6th DUI conviction, because the judge ruled it could not be said in court that she had prior DUI convictions and she was guilty. Different judge , it would have been screamed on the loud speaker across the court room for the jury to hear!

Evidence that would clear people is routinely not allowed in court. Its all fate. Or the luck of the draw. Thank goodness judge Judy is not handing out death sentences. I swear that woman makes decisions on if she likes the look of a person or not. But you can bet judges do hand down death sentences that are just as egotistical and so sure of them selfs as judge judy.

I have first hand knowledge of just how corrupt the legal system can be.
In civil cases some judges just never make a ruling, effectively shutting down the case, because nothing can be done until they rule. When they retire or leave office you'll get a note in the mail that since it has been so long since the case was heard, a ruling cannot be given now, but you are free to refile the case and take it to court all over again. With the cost of civil actions most don't do that.

I believe God has a plan for everybody and maybe the plan for some innocent people is to spend decades in jail or be executed for crimes they did not commit. But I would never push that button or agree, to kill them, as God is the one who gives and takes lives.

That is my 2 cents on the subject anyway.
westernmom

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:49 am
@FedUpAmerican,
aaronssongs;33646 wrote:
Hypocrite. Didn't you just lump all gay people together as degenerates? And lacking in morality? So, "lumping" is reserved only for the likes of you?

Nope, won't buy it. I never once used the word "degenerate" - where you getting that from? Never said "lacking in morality" either. Just not consistant with my moral code. I won't have you trying to twist and turn my words!

Christians - gay people

Not all Christians belong to the same sect. Nor do they have the same interpretations, covenants, etc. They have a basic belief in Jesus the Christ as their Savior and the son of God but similarities in standards and beliefs vary greatly.

Gay people - Someone having a sexual relationship with a person of the opposite sex. Pretty basic concept there.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:58 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;33746 wrote:
Western Mom

Our jury's may never hear the truth though. There are so many stupid laws about what can and cannot be heard in court.

I had a friend walk away scott free 15 years ago from what would have been like her 6th DUI conviction, because the judge ruled it could not be said in court that she had prior DUI convictions and she was guilty. Different judge , it would have been screamed on the loud speaker across the court room for the jury to hear!

Evidence that would clear people is routinely not allowed in court. Its all fate. Or the luck of the draw. Thank goodness judge Judy is not handing out death sentences. I swear that woman makes decisions on if she likes the look of a person or not. But you can bet judges do hand down death sentences that are just as egotistical and so sure of them selfs as judge judy.

I have first hand knowledge of just how corrupt the legal system can be.
In civil cases some judges just never make a ruling, effectively shutting down the case, because nothing can be done until they rule. When they retire or leave office you'll get a note in the mail that since it has been so long since the case was heard, a ruling cannot be given now, but you are free to refile the case and take it to court all over again. With the cost of civil actions most don't do that.

I believe God has a plan for everybody and maybe the plan for some innocent people is to spend decades in jail or be executed for crimes they did not commit. But I would never push that button or agree, to kill them, as God is the one who gives and takes lives.

That is my 2 cents on the subject anyway.

I agree that there are instances that you do have corruption in the courtroom. But, I still have a lot of faith in the jury system. What other system would work better? Actually, the system I prefer is let the victims (or families) take care of the criminals... Instead of worrying about filling jails we might have to worry about clearing land for cemetaries!

I think that harsher punishments curb crime. People need to be held responsible for their actions.
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:52 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
And the innocent?

I say let Christ punish them one day.

We might have to keep them locked up for life, but at least we will not have the blood of the innocent on our hands to try to explain at judgement.

And backing the killing of people is just as bad as doing it yourself, or so the bible seems to read to me.