• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,809 • Replies: 25
No top replies

mako cv

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:28 pm
@RedOct,
Red, I think you have it wrapped up pretty well. The evidence is there, but there is a distinct possiblity that no historical Jesus ever existed. He could very well be (1) an amalgamation of several Jesuses of the 1 century BCE and 1 century CE (2) totally made up to "put a face" to Paul's totally spiritual Jesus (3)an obscure rabbi that taught a version of Judaism and never performed any miracles, never formented dissention with Temple Judaism, and never was executed by the Romans, instead living to a ripe old age (45 was considered a ripe old age back then) and being interred in the family tomb. :patriot:
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:20 pm
@RedOct,
Jesus the man probably did exist, however there were others claiming the whole virgin birth blah blah blah.
0 Replies

missdixy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:03 am
@RedOct,
I like to believe that Jesus did exit, and I do beleive he was married. #1 from your indirect evidence just makes a lot of sense to me.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:06 am
@RedOct,
Why wouldn't he have been married? God the father is a firm believer in the family unit so it is only common sense that his Son would believe that way as well.

Why wasn't it shouted on the mountain tops?

Consider the fact that he was persecuted and maybe didn't want his personal family treated as badly as he was. His enemies could abuse his wife as leverage against him. Again common sense.
0 Replies

mako cv

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:25 am
@RedOct,
Quote:
Consider the fact that he was persecuted

We have only the word of the NT that he was persecuted and the NT has been shown to be full of errors...so we have no way of knowing that he was persecuted and this was the reason for hiding the fact that he was married. Besides the Jews of that period had arranged marriages that were agreed on while the subjects were still children and if Jesus had a spouse, it would be common knowledge among his relatives and neighbors. :patriot:
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:32 am
@RedOct,
Do you keep a daily journal? Do you write about the people you work with or associate with? Do you always include their family when writing about them? These writings in the NT left many details out. Consider the fact that about 18 years of his life was left out. That could have been part of the time when he married and had children.

Why is it so hard to believe he wouldn't have led a fairly 'normal' life?

But, first you have to believe in Jesus the Christ to except any of this!
0 Replies

mako cv

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:44 am
@RedOct,
Quote:
These writings in the NT left many details out.

"These writings" were composed at least a century after the supposed happenings by non-witnesses who had no access to witnesses. Suggest you get and read the Evangelitical Christian Biblical scholar, Bart Ehrman's new book "Misquoting Jesus" which shows how the gospels (and other NT writings) have been altered over and over again to the point that we don't know what Jesus said or did! When you have finished that, I will provide a list of other books by renowned scholars (many of them Christians) to read. :patriot:
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:56 am
@RedOct,
I also have a book that I have read concerning the NT but it is an "inspired" version so you wouldn't give any credit for that one! I too think that so much has been mis-translated, left out, written from stories handed down, etc that without supporting evidence cannot put my total faith and trust in the KJV. Of course supporting evidence to a person such as I is read, ponder, and pray....
0 Replies

mako cv

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:02 pm
@RedOct,
Good for you...you have found your path and I wish the best for you but as far as history goes, Christianity has no evidence of validity. :patriot:
westernmom

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:13 pm
@mako cv,
mako;30878 wrote:
Good for you...you have found your path and I wish the best for you but as far as history goes, Christianity has no evidence of validity. :patriot:

But don't you think that there has to be something to it? Or do you think we are all like sheep and just follow what everyone else does?

Even if it all turns out to be a big hoax we couldn't have had a better role model! And isn't that really all he is? Sure, I believe in the attonement and the sacrifice for sins but most people don't understand that and can't even relate to it. So even if they just believe in Christ as a role model it's better than Brittany Spears and Micheal Vick!
0 Replies

mako cv

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:36 pm
@RedOct,
Quote:
But don't you think that there has to be something to it? Or do you think we are all like sheep and just follow what everyone else does?
Quote:
Even if it all turns out to be a big hoax we couldn't have had a better role model!
Quote:
I believe in the attonement and the sacrifice for sins
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:50 pm
@RedOct,
But, I believe that God the Father and Jesus the Christ were two separate beings so he didn't sacrifice himself for himself.

I am not as well read as you and so can only debate those things as well.

Violence didn't come from God. It came from man.
0 Replies

mako cv

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 01:09 pm
@RedOct,
Quote:
Violence didn't come from God. It came from man.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 01:43 pm
@RedOct,
I agree that this account in the OT seems to portray a violent God. But I still wonder at the accuracy in the translation. And, I also would like to point out that God has always given a consequence for every action. Good or bad.

It's too bad we don't do so now. I watch my 3 year old granddaughter show disrespect to everyone around her because "it's not good parenting" to swat her little butt when she mis-behaves. Time out is only good for so much.

Yeah, I'm a violent old grandma! But, guess what? When I swatted her bottom and set her out in the garage when she was throwing her tantrums her mom was telling me that my granddaughter would never like me again. So, when it was time for dinner I brought her in and sat her at the table and she was doing everything she could to make Grandma like her!
0 Replies

mako cv

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 03:16 pm
@RedOct,
Quote:
Yeah, I'm a violent old grandma! But, guess what? When I swatted her bottom and set her out in the garage when she was throwing her tantrums her mom was telling me that my granddaughter would never like me again. So, when it was time for dinner I brought her in and sat her at the table and she was doing everything she could to make Grandma like her!

Since those young'uns won't do what is necessary, it is up to us old codgers (I'll admit to 65 summers and counting) to teach the very young what is right and what is wrong. Y'know, what we went through as discipline would be considered child abuse today, thanks to these high falutin' doctors with more alphabet letters behind their names than can be pronounced, but as a generation (this is from WWII to Vietnam) we all turned out pretty good for the most part. We may have our short comings, but we try to respect others and their possessions. Good for you! :patriot:
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 03:45 pm
@RedOct,
It's amazing how our philosphies can be so different but our standards so close to the same.

As I read your posts I see that you seem to dwell on the hell-fire and damnation aspect of the gospel. Instead I like to look at the opposite end of the spectrum. Having a belief in Christ and a loving Heavenly Father brings rewards into my life.
0 Replies

STNGfan

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 03:50 pm
@RedOct,
Yes Jesus had sex...oh my god.. I said it.. he had sexual intercourse with a women and I guess he would have to be married because you know a 34 year old hypicrite just could not be the savior of human kind. Really now.....
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 01:33 am
@RedOct,
RedOct;28914 wrote:

I find it funny how some will say there is no evidence that Jesus Christ ever existed, but now these same people can tell you He was married and even how many children He had. Jesus was called a rabbi, but was never a student of the temple, the fact was at the age of 12 He knew more than the teachers of the Temple. And at the age of 12 He pretty much told His earthly father joseph that He, (Jesus) must be about His Fathers business. Another words, customs and traditions were not going to control the life of Christ. Even as early as 12 years old, Jesus knew He was special. He did not have to wait for John the Baptist to point this out to Him.
0 Replies

STNGfan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
@RedOct,
Jesus was a radical of his time.. hmm funny really...how one person got abused in public for thinking for himself and not listening to everyone else hogwash.
0 Replies