why are you christian?

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:44 am
How can a christian still have belief when nothing in the bible is really true? How do you reject science, a known fact? How do you account for Adam and Eve? How do you account for a flood? How do you account for all the other things that are physically impossible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,780 • Replies: 58
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 06:54 am
@viewpoint,
One word, "Faith." Physically impossible is a state of mind. Some would figure it is physically impossible to get to the moon?
A question for you. Why did you use "really" in your first sentence? Not to sure your self? Or you needed an out?
Quote:
How do you reject science, a known fact?
Who are you talking about? I may know more of science then you? I've got a good question for you but i'll wait untill we get a little further with science.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:52 am
@viewpoint,
I am Christian because I believe what Jesus said.
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:27 pm
@viewpoint,
Hmm......maybe I can be proud of myself today. Nobody seems to have a rebuttal. Great. That takes care of that, I guess.:thumbup:
0 Replies

JesusDiedForU

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:58 am
@viewpoint,
Ezekiel 36:24
Silverchild79

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:10 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;26678 wrote:
I am Christian because I believe what Jesus said.

I'll play devils advocate

everything?
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:19 am
@viewpoint,
viewpoint;26630 wrote:
How can a christian still have belief when nothing in the bible is really true? How do you reject science, a known fact? How do you account for Adam and Eve? How do you account for a flood? How do you account for all the other things that are physically impossible?

Science is a known fact? WTF? Science is the study of how the world works, and Christians reject it? If you say so. My area was just flooded last year, it's not physically impossible. Didn't science (ya know, the fact) say that there was evidence for Adam and Eve-like figures?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:41 am
@JesusDiedForU,
JesusDiedForU;26723 wrote:
Ezekiel 36:24

Chapter?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:42 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;26751 wrote:
I'll play devils advocate

everything?

Yup. A-thang.
Campbell34

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:09 pm
@viewpoint,
viewpoint;26630 wrote:

Where did u ever get the idea that nothing in the Bible is true? I have found just the oppsite, not only in the prophecies that are now coming to pass, or the finds being unearthed today, but I have heard from Christ, I have actually heard Him speak to me. He is not dead as some would claim, but is alive just as the Bible proclaims.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
@viewpoint,
If science is constantly evolving, how do you know it won't come full-circle someday and prove most of what's in the Bible?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:03 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;26893 wrote:
Yup. A-thang.

So then you think it's okay to beat your employees?

Quote:
LUKE 42-48 42The Lord answered, "Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? 43It will be good for that servant whom the master finds doing so when he returns. 44I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 45But suppose the servant says to himself, 'My master is taking a long time in coming,' and he then begins to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and get drunk. 46The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

47"That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows.

or howabout that medical afflication is caused by demons and not by scientifically proven afflictions

Here Jesus cures palsy (a very real disease not caused by sin) by forgiving him

Quote:
Matthew 9:6-7 “But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins,” (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) “Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.” And he arose, and departed to his house.

here the devil causes blindness and retardation

Quote:
Matthew 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw

Do you belive you can handle poisions snakes or drink toxin? Can you cure the sick on command simply by praying for them Pino? Jesus says you can

Quote:
Mark 16:16-18 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I would submit that should you be bitten by a deadly asp and not treated you will be as dead as ny athiest

while Jesus is one of the great standards of spiritual wisdom I would not take it word for word as fact.
Dmizer

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
@viewpoint,
If science is constantly evolving, how do you know it won't come full-circle someday and prove most of what's in the Bible?

For the same reason that science and the Bible have been at odds through out history.
For example: What does the bible say about Dinosaurs? What does science say about dinosaurs?
What does the bible say about The Flood and Noah? What does science say?
What does the bible say about how old the earth is? What does science say?

You see the conflict, you just have to use your own judgement to decide which explanation makes the most sense to you.
Christians rely upon faith for there explanations, where as scientist rely upon empirical evidence for theirs.

Why is it that Christians don't go to faith healers for their medical treatment? Why is it that Christians rely upon science and medical technology to heal them? After all science is wrong about everything else when it comes down to it, I say let the bible heal Christians and let the scientists heal everyone who supports science.
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:46 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;27091 wrote:

or howabout that medical afflication is caused by demons and not by scientifically proven afflictions

Do you belive you can handle poisions snakes or drink toxin? Can you cure the sick on command simply by praying for them Pino? Jesus says you can

I would submit that should you be bitten by a deadly asp and not treated you will be as dead as ny athiest

while Jesus is one of the great standards of spiritual wisdom I would not take it word for word as fact.

He didn't advocate beating anyone. He taught in parables, for the Am-Haretz to understand. They were largely uneducated farmers and shepherds. You're forgetting context.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:59 pm
@viewpoint,
he is relating servanthood to god in terms they understand and explaining that the way god will treat them for knowingly disobeying is the same way they would treat their servants. He relates it in a positive way and at no point makes any attempt to warn them against the physical practice of beating servants, although he had the perfect opportunity.

But that's just one point, what about handling vipers and consuming poison? What about the Devil causing blindness?
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 04:12 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;27139 wrote:
he is relating servanthood to god in terms they understand and explaining that the way god will treat them for knowingly disobeying is the same way they would treat their servants. He relates it in a positive way and at no point makes any attempt to warn them against the physical practice of beating servants, although he had the perfect opportunity.

But that's just one point, what about handling vipers and consuming poison? What about the Devil causing blindness?

You're imposing an extraneous, out-of-context interpretation on this passage. And you're missing the point, too. He spoke in terms they understood. He is teaching, here, not providing legal advice.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 04:16 pm
@viewpoint,
I'm not taking it out of context

he said if you believe you can drink poison and no harm will come to you

you said you believed everything

either you do or you don't. Don't take the cheap way out with an "out of context" excuse, when he made the comment about drinking poison there is nothing to lead you to belive he was speaking in metaphore.

Can you drink poison? Yes or no?
Campbell34

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 07:19 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;27091 wrote:

Back in 1973 I had an encounter with 2 demons, it lasted for 6 months, the medical answer would of filled me with drugs and that would of been their cure. Yet for me, a group of Christians understood the problem and cast both of them out of me. I have not been bothered by them for the last 34 years. Not all sickness is cause by demons, yet they have the abilty to make people appear sick from time to time.
Years ago my father when he was six years old had a disease called weeping exzema. He had no hair on his head and my grandmother had to keep cloths on his head to catch the puss that would run down. The doctors back then stated that they had nothing to cure it. My dads father was a non believer who hated the church. My grandmother finally desperate went to a minister at the end of their block and asked if he would pray for my father to be healed. The minister asked her if she thought Jesus could heal today as he did 2,000 years ago. My grandmother said she believed. That night the minister came over and layed hands on my father and prayed for his healing. The next morning when my grandmother came down to change the cloth on my fathers head, all the puss had dried up and it just flaked down to the bed. My fathers dad who hated the church could not believe his eyes, and spent the rest of the day telling his co-works that God had truly healed his son. Oh yeah, he became a Christian. My experiences with Christ over my life makes me convinced that I could only take it word for word. Because some of my experiencs have been to dramatic to take it any other way.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 08:46 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;27145 wrote:
I'm not taking it out of context

he said if you believe you can drink poison and no harm will come to you

you said you believed everything

either you do or you don't. Don't take the cheap way out with an "out of context" excuse, when he made the comment about drinking poison there is nothing to lead you to belive he was speaking in metaphore.

Can you drink poison? Yes or no?

Teachers must tailor their lessons to their students. That's an absolute necessity. That's what Jesus did in this instance. I don't practice literal interpretation. So, I guess no, I don't literally believe everything.

So, as it turns out, you're an atheist, too. :scratchchin:
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:08 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;27092 wrote:

For the same reason that science and the Bible have been at odds through out history.
For example: What does the bible say about Dinosaurs? What does science say about dinosaurs?
What does the bible say about The Flood and Noah? What does science say?
What does the bible say about how old the earth is? What does science say?

You see the conflict, you just have to use your own judgement to decide which explanation makes the most sense to you.
Christians rely upon faith for there explanations, where as scientist rely upon empirical evidence for theirs.

Why is it that Christians don't go to faith healers for their medical treatment? Why is it that Christians rely upon science and medical technology to heal them? After all science is wrong about everything else when it comes down to it, I say let the bible heal Christians and let the scientists heal everyone who supports science.

Religion is a personal choice. From a historical perspective, however, there's no denying Christianity has been a major moralizing and civilizing force. :headbang:
0 Replies