Are humans genetically 'hard-wired' to believe in god?

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 03:44 am
Once again, I am awake far too early, listening to Art Bell. His guest tonight is Matthew Alper, who wrote a book called THE "GOD" PART OF THE BRAIN: A SCIENTIFIC INTERPRETATION OF HUMAN SPIRITUALITY AND GOD. I haven't read it, but the premise is fascinating to me. Excuse the length, but it is printed below. Keep in mind, Matthew Alper is an atheist. I didn't post this in the religion section, because a back-and-forth debate on the existence of a god, or a soul is not the point here, just the theory:

"For every physical characteristic that is universal to a species, there must exist some gene or set of genes responsible for the emergence of that particular trait. For example, the fact that all cats possess whiskers means that somewhere within a cat's chromosomes there must exist "whisker" genes. Of our own species, that all humans possess a nose in the middle of our face means that somewhere within our chromosomes there must exist "nose" genes that instruct our emerging bodies to develop one in that very place. It's not, for instance, as if a nose can develop anywhere on one's body, only by mere coincidence, it always ends up on our face. Apparently, humans are genetically "hard-wired" to develop in a very specific and particular way.

The same principle not only applies to universal physical traits, but to universal behaviors as well. Take, for instance, the fact that all honeybees construct their hives in the same hexagonal pattern. That all honeybee colonies, regardless of whether they've been exposed to any other, construct their hives in such an identical fashion means that they must be "hard-wired" to do so. It's not as if honeybees can build their hives any way they "desire," only by sheer coincidence all construct them in the same exact way. Apparently, honeybees are innately, that is, genetically "hard-wired" to construct their hives in this particular fashion. This would suggest that somewhere in the honeybees' brains there must exist a specific cluster of neurons that contain genetically inherited instructions which compel the bees to construct hexagonally shaped hives. The same principle holds true for anything from a peacock's instinct to display its feathers when exposed to an aroused peahen to a cat's instinct to groom itself. In essence, any behavior that is universal to any species is, more than likely, the consequence of a genetically inherited impulse or instinct.

The above principle not only applies to honeybees, peacocks, or cats but to every life form, including our own. The fact, for instance, that every human culture - no matter how isolated - has communicated through language suggests that our species' linguistic capacities constitute a genetically inherited trait. Since our capacity for language represents a cognitive function, there must exist some very specific cluster of neurons within the brain from which our linguistic capacities are generated.

As we know such "linguistic" sites do exist in the human brain and include the Wernicke's area, Broca's area, and angular gyrus. Damage incurred to any one of these "language" specific sites will impair some very specific part of one's language capacities. What this clearly demonstrates is that our linguistic capacities are directly related to our neurophysiological makeups. Furthermore, this supports the notion that for every cross-cultural behavior our species exhibits there must exist a specific part of the brain from which that behavior is generated.

If it's true that this principle applies to all of our cross-cultural behaviors, should we not also apply it to spirituality? Every known culture from the dawn of our species has maintained a belief in some form of a "spiritual" reality. Wouldn't this suggest that human spirituality must represent an inherent characteristic of our species, that is, a genetically inherited trait? Furthermore, being that spirituality, just like language, represents a cognitive function, wouldn't this suggest that our "spiritual" instincts, just like our linguistic ones, must be generated from some very specific physical part within the brain? I informally refer to this site as the "God" part of the brain, a cluster of neurons from which spiritual cognitions, sensations, and behaviors are generated.

How else are we to explain the fact that all human cultures - no matter how isolated - have maintained a belief in some form of a spiritual/transcendental reality, in a god or gods, a soul, as well as an afterlife? How else are we to explain the fact that every human culture has built houses of worship through which to pray to such unseen forces? Or that every known culture has buried (or at least disposed of) its dead with a rite that anticipates sending the deceased person's "spiritual" component, or what we call a soul, onward to some next plane, or what we call an afterlife? Wouldn't the universality with which such perceptions and behaviors are exhibited among our species suggest that we might be "hard-wired" this way? How about the fact that every known culture has related undergoing what we refer to as spiritual experiences? Perhaps we are "hard-wired" to experience such sentiments as well. Just as all honeybees are compelled to construct hexagonally shaped hives, perhaps humans are compelled to perceive a spiritual reality...as a reflex, an instinct.

Essentially, what I'm suggesting is that humans are innately "hard-wired" to perceive a spiritual reality. We are "hard-wired" to believe in forces that transcend the limitations of this, our physical reality. Most controversial of all, if what I'm suggesting is true, it would imply that God is not necessarily something that exists "out there," beyond and independent of us, but rather as the product of an inherited perception, the manifestation of an evolutionary adaptation that exists within the human brain. And why would our species have evolved such a seemingly abstract trait? -In order to enable us to deal with our species' unique and otherwise debilitating awareness of death.

With the dawn of human intelligence, for the first time in the history of terrestrial life, an organism could point its powers of perception back upon its own being; it could recognize its own self as an object. For the first time, when an animal kneeled down to drink from the watering hole, it recognized its own reflection. Only humans possess the advanced capacity for self-awareness. Though, in many ways, this capacity has helped to make our species the most versatile and powerful creature on earth, it also represents the source of our greatest affliction. This is because once we became aware of the fact that we exist, we became equally aware of not just the possibility that one day we might not, but the certainty that one day we will not. With the advent of our species, with the emergence of self-conscious awareness, a life form became cognizant of the fact that it is going to die. All we had to do was to look around us to see that death was inevitable and inescapable. More terrifying yet, death could befall us at anytime. Any moment can be our last.

All life is "hard-wired" to avoid those things that represent a threat to its existence. When an animal gets too close to fire, for example, it reflexively pulls away. It is this negative stimulus, this experience we call pain, that prompts all forms of life to avoid such potential life threats. Pain, therefore, acts as nature's electric prod that incites us to avoid those things which may jeopardize our existence.

In the "higher" animals, most particularly among the mammals, threatening circumstances elicit a particular type of pain we refer to as anxiety. Anxiety constitutes a type of pain meant to prompt these "higher" order animals to avoid potentially hazardous circumstances. For example, a rabbit is cornered by a mountain lion. In such a situation, the rabbit is pumped with adrenaline, charged with the painful symptoms of anxiety, all meant to incite the rabbit to most effectively escape from the source of its discomfort, in this case the mountain lion. In its healthiest form, anxiety is meant to prompt an animal to avoid or escape a potentially hazardous experience. In humans, however, once we became aware of the fact that death was not only inescapable but that it could come at any moment, we were left in a state of constant mortal peril, a state of unceasing anxiety - much like rabbits perpetually cornered by a mountain lion from which there is no escape. With the emergence of self-awareness, humans became the dysfunctional animal, rendered helpless by an inherent and unceasing anxiety disorder. Unless nature could somehow relieve us of this debilitating awareness of death, it's possible our species might have soon become extinct. It was suddenly critical that our animal be modified in some way that would allow us to maintain self-conscious awareness, while enabling us to deal with our unique awareness of our own mortalities, of death.

Here lies the origin of humankind's spiritual function, an evolutionary adaptation that compels our species to believe that though our physical bodies will one day perish, our "spirits" or "souls" will persist for all eternity. Only once our species was instilled with this inherent (mis)perception that there is something more "out there," that we are immortal beings, were we able to survive our debilitating awareness of death."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,813 • Replies: 240
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:01 am
Hmmm - interesting. perhaps a bit like the natural blissful opiates that are released when we are in pain or extremis? (Though elegant experiments seem to have assured us that some other animals DO recognize themselves in the water hole - none that I know of - except possibly elephants - seem to have death rituals).

There does seem to be a god part of the brain - which theists have interpreted, of course, to mean that god put it there.

Does this mean that atheists are the most highly evolved of us? Heehee
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:09 am
Let's hope so, bunny. Hee! Alper also completely regects the 'god made us, but gave us choice' argument as fallacious and unproveable. Firing neurons, these things can be measured. Anthropological models can be traced. I am intrigued with his thesis indeed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:16 am
I continue to see the existence of religion as a way for basically frightened minds to make sense of the billion to one accident that is their existence.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:31 am
Its a good hypothesis .The whisker gene , he talked about has a neural response net that makes a cats muzzle a sensitive area.

The hypothesis is, with our level of technology, testable. However the costing for such sequencing is , even now with the newest "gene zxeroxing tricks", in the order of a few million dollars per sequence. SO once someone coughs up enough money (I dont see why the council of churches would not wanna be there). It could be done and, assuming the hypothesis is correct, quite a bit could be made of it.

Id wanna find the gene sequences that define orgasms.

ART BELL? is he still on/ They took him off all the radio stations back east , as far as I know. You Canadians have pick of the best entertainment. I still miss the dead dog cafe.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:46 am
Art Bell's show is broadcast here through Mojo Radio, AM 640. George Noory does weekdays, but Art has been brought back to do weekends.

As for orgasms, I am convinced that in terms of feelings, and the source of said feelings in the brain, they are probably identical to some supposedly 'religious' experiences. Some are also likely related to temporal lobe epilepsy.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:46 am
Umm, religious freak-outs, not orgasms.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:05 am
oh, ok, Ive now made the connections between religious fervor and orgasm. Hmmmmm.

Its gonna cost ya. For example, the sequencing of the HOx gene, reportedly responsible for the coding of the entire topology of limb expressions on animals, took almost 100 million (US),
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:07 am
I suppose the American religious right won't cough up the dough for a proper study here then.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:32 am
Unless they could make another 2 bucks from the data.
GOD GENE FOUND- SCIENTISTS SAY HALLELUYAH
Yes ma dear freyands. You teeew cain have a hunka the TREEEW genaitic spermaint that PROVES WITHOUT A DOUBT THAYET HEWMAYNS HAVE A GENE FER GAWD.

then we send em a little E-P plate or a dipper , or a couple of wires from the plate gel. heck, this could mean big bucks, because ther would be no end to the number of times you could sell the stuff.

I think Im gonna get some guys and write up a research grant proposal.
This could be big.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:04 am
I think what humans are hard-wired to do is figure out cause and effect. To ask, in various contexts, "How else are we to explain...?"

And that the search for explanations usually leads to some sort of overseer, the divine hand. The days start to get longer around December 21st because we successfully placated the vengeful god who had made the days shorter and shorter. The rains were plentiful this year because we were deserving. Etc., etc.

We humans need to make sense of things, and lacking scientific data on cloud formation and whatnot, a God or Gods controlling these things made the most sense. Utter chaos, complete randomness, is not good for the human psyche.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:19 am
I like Soz' take, that it is hard-wired for human beans to look for explanations, to be able to demonstrate cause and effect. Which leads me to my pet thesis. I would call this the "Paleo-Snake Oil Salesman" thesis. Given that homo sapiens has been around since long before historical times, it is completely reasonable to assume that intelligent individuals were cropping up in tribes and clans everywhere many millenia ago. Those who showed a propensity to quickly discern cause and effect would be of great value to the group, as long as said individual did appear to challenge local authority. With a life expectancy not much more than reproductive age, any such intelligent individual who would survive into their 30's or 40's could easily outlive their own generation and assume a position of oracular status. Revered by those born and aging to death while that individual still lived, it would be natural for all questions of the group to be laid before them. So little Thag Jr. wants to know why the sun rises? Invent a deity, throw in some ritual, make sure it includes a hearty feed for the shamans, and bingo--you've got explanation and social control all in one.

One might note that i am rather sceptical of the sincerity of the inventors of god.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:20 am
Just imagine the boredom of being an old stone age Steven Hawking living with the Flintstones.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:23 am
Well, not everything that happens to be universal is really A Universal. If all but the English-speaking world were killed in a nuclear explosion, English would be universal, but it would not be A Universal in that it was "hardwired" into us. From what I know, there are at least a few different cultures that either have no principle deity or no deity at all, or a deity radically different from what we would think of as one. A God, I think, would be easily explained by something that is harwired into human brains - the desire to know the reasons for things whether it's practical to find them out or not. But I don't think this translates into a "God nueron" neccesarily.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:03 am
Thag say-"Eat clam"

Og say"SCrew you, you eat first"

To whch Thog say-"clam give wisdom of God"

Og (now eating clam) say-"need a beer"
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:05 am
i would vote for 'soft wired';
the meta programming done by endless itteration of nonsense from virually every source, has a very strong effect on an emerging sense of reality.

i find that as a practicing (practice makes 'perfect') 'nonsupernaturalist' (my private club; you can join for a fee!) on occassion, i find myself preparing to strike a bargain with.............whatever - sad isn't it?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:24 am
Quote:
Just imagine the boredom of being an old stone age Steven Hawking living with the Flintstones.

I dunno. Seems like making a wheel in a wheelless world would be as good a workout for the brain as making a GUT in a world of no GUT...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:35 am
I think this premise is very interesting but learned or remembered behaviors are glossed over it seems. Every culture or people had to come from somewhere.
Did anyone ever see "Lost tribes of Israel"
This show traced a genetic line from isreal to people in africa, india, china. Over 2500 years ago over half of israeli's tribes were forced into exihile. Each tribe moved to new surrounding but many customs reamined and addapted over time.

If god is hardwired then ritual must be the software.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:38 pm
The idea of God exists independently of ritual though. We're all born with the same software, we don't all practice the same rituals.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:41 pm
Yes but it's the repetition that enables the hardware to be constantly refreshed/rebooted/practiced.
0 Replies