The New Crusades

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
@Pinochet73,
Quote:

Direct proof that a research facility of that size, capability and diversity helped everyone near it?

"The geographical diversity of the scholars suggests that the Library was in fact a major center for research and learning. In 2004, a Polish-Egyptian team found what they believe to be a part of the Library while excavating in the Bruchion region. The archaeologists unearthed thirteen "lecture halls", each with a central podium. Zahi Hawass, the president of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that all together, the rooms uncovered so far could have seated 5000 students; the picture thus presented is most certainly of a fairly massive research institution, especially for that time."

Simply by it's location, it was the crux of scientific knowledge and exchange for almost the entire ancient world. Any civilization near the thing benefited greatly from the exchange of knowledge that happened in there.

No, direct proof of how it could help them when it no longer existed.

Quote:
I beg to differ.

Antikythera mechanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You underestimate what we lost.

I realize that scientific advancements were large in Roman and pre-Roman times, but as you said, they were lost.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:32 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52811 wrote:
No, direct proof of how it could help them when it no longer existed.

The effects of science and research don't disappear when the institute is gone. They're not going to lose the advantage that such a place has already given.

If, for example, there were a document on building a better bow or forging a better sword, that would immediately advance them and they would hold onto that advancement. Better navigational charts, starcharts, maps, etc. all would be examples of how it helped them after its destruction. Civilizations have a tendency to hold onto the basics that make them work.

Continuing on with the example. Let's make it easy and say that, during it's existence, the Library's exchange of knowledge gave that region a better method for making metals. It removed more impurities, makes the metal stronger and last longer against the elements. We, the group that never got to mess with that Library thing, never got this knowledge. Either it was destroyed or we simply weren't in the same geographical location. Couple hundred years later, they still have that knowledge and we still do not. I'm quite certain that you'd find their shields stronger, their swords sharper, armor more impenetrable, so on and so forth. All due to being near a central hub of knowledge exchange and having a few hundred years to perfect it.

Quote:
I realize that scientific advancements were large in Roman and pre-Roman times, but as you said, they were lost.

Yeah, around 1AD, things started to turn to crap.

The machine's age, origins and location all put it within the time of the Library. The amount of scientific knowledge required to build that thing is immense. *WE* didn't build a device with that level of complexity for another 1800 years. This again demonstrates the power of a central hub of open cultural and scientific exchange. Other people in that region had access to the same information... perhaps not the blueprints, but definitely the knowledge to build a machine of that type. I'm sure that Islamic researchers have their fingerprints on at least a bit of what went into making that machine.

Then the whole area destabilized and that hub and everything in it was destroyed... and advancements of the time, some even shown to be over a thousand years ahead, were lost to antiquity. That's twice where huge scientific advancements were lost with many fingers pointing at the Christians. It's sad because this would be a whole different place if that knowledge was never lost.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 08:03 pm
@Pinochet73,
Quote:
If, for example, there were a document on building a better bow or forging a better sword, that would immediately advance them and they would hold onto that advancement. Better navigational charts, starcharts, maps, etc. all would be examples of how it helped them after its destruction. Civilizations have a tendency to hold onto the basics that make them work.

That is not logical. You yourself gave the example of scientific advancement in ancient times. In the blink of an eye, all that was lost. Almost nothing was left. When the library was destroyed, only a fraction of that knowledge at best could have existed in the minds of the scholars who studied in the library (if any were left alive.) who were part of an oppressed culture, not the culture of the Muslim invaders. It was not the same culture, so you can't expect the Muslims any more than the English to have benefited from the Library.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:05 pm
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
AMERICAFIRST;52762 wrote:
Where do I sign up for the Crusades????

Where else? TEXAS.Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:28 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;52915 wrote:
Where else? TEXAS.Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Probably one of the most conservative states in the country.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:20 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52906 wrote:
That is not logical. You yourself gave the example of scientific advancement in ancient times. In the blink of an eye, all that was lost. Almost nothing was left. When the library was destroyed, only a fraction of that knowledge at best could have existed in the minds of the scholars who studied in the library (if any were left alive.) who were part of an oppressed culture, not the culture of the Muslim invaders. It was not the same culture, so you can't expect the Muslims any more than the English to have benefited from the Library.

The entire area fell apart. Like I said, around that time, things got bad.

You're mixing up the worlds culture and religion. Regardless of when or why a religious empire was founded, the advancements granted by the Library over hundreds of years got into their hands. Those people lived in the same geographical region. Focus on the physical population, not borders or religion.

The conquests, crusades and invasions really put a damper on that whole area. Things started going backwards. Science and education took a back seat to religion. Fast forward to today and well... take a look.

The Library didn't push them farther, but it certainly gave 'em a hair of a head start. The problem was they never continued on. Everyone else left 'em behind.
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:42 am
@Sabz5150,
well when do we get started????My slingshot and walking stick is ready..:thumbup:
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:21 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;52942 wrote:
The entire area fell apart. Like I said, around that time, things got bad.

You're mixing up the worlds culture and religion. Regardless of when or why a religious empire was founded, the advancements granted by the Library over hundreds of years got into their hands. Those people lived in the same geographical region. Focus on the physical population, not borders or religion.

The conquests, crusades and invasions really put a damper on that whole area. Things started going backwards. Science and education took a back seat to religion. Fast forward to today and well... take a look.

The Library didn't push them farther, but it certainly gave 'em a hair of a head start. The problem was they never continued on. Everyone else left 'em behind.

Quote:
You're mixing up the worlds culture and religion. Regardless of when or why a religious empire was founded, the advancements granted by the Library over hundreds of years got into their hands. Those people lived in the same geographical region. Focus on the physical population, not borders or religion

Okay, example, focusing on actual population. Here is my interpretive emoticon play (tragicomedy). This is Bob: Smile He's your average Coptic citizen of Alexandria; a wife, two kids, and he's just lucky enough to be one of 500 people with access to the full library.

This is Ahmed (close enough): :mrt: and boy does he have an offer for Bob. He has this cool new religion whose main patrons have just conquered Alexandria, and he thinks that it's the shiz and he hopes Bob will think so too. But since he's tolerant and all, Bob can refuse for the small price of the jizya tax and some minor degradation. Otherwise, he's going to be killed, but you can hardly blame Ahmed. Of the 300 surviving people who have full access to the Library, a paltry 20 have converted, and are keeping mum about the few texts they've read (They're not exactly Muhammed-approved, you see), 200 are stubborn bastards who are also keeping quiet, so as not to increase the general crappiness of life or bring it all to an end, anyway, and the remaining 80 have been killed.

Bob joins the middle group, for the sake of the story, and ends up like this:

:whipping:
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:39 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;52924 wrote:
Probably one of the most conservative states in the country.

Large and in charge. Any questions?Very Happy
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:42 pm
@Pinochet73,
Whenever I think of Michigan, I imagine dirty snow, rusted, metal hulls piled a mile high, and trickling rivers, thick with purple and blue, chemical sledge. Nice.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:05 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;52973 wrote:
Whenever I think of Michigan, I imagine dirty snow, rusted, metal hulls piled a mile high, and trickling rivers, thick with purple and blue, chemical sledge. Nice.

Michigan is sparsely populated with detroit being nearly half of the states total population, and being in the mid-west there is a lot of farmland and there is a lot of shipping and automobile industry. The upper peninsula is mostly wilderness and small rural towns, where the yuppers (as they're known) have canadian accents, it is nearly impossible to find a mcDonalds or a StarBucks in the U.P. of Michigan. It's a hilly state overall. The economy has been in the gutter lately one of the worst economies in the country.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 06:43 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52965 wrote:
Okay, example, focusing on actual population. Here is my interpretive emoticon play (tragicomedy). This is Bob: Smile He's your average Coptic citizen of Alexandria; a wife, two kids, and he's just lucky enough to be one of 500 people with access to the full library.

Starting off...

The archaeologists unearthed thirteen "lecture halls", each with a central podium. Zahi Hawass, the president of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that all together, the rooms uncovered so far could have seated 5000 students

Source: Library of Alexandria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How exactly did you come up with this number of 500 people?

I think you miss exactly what the Library is and what it did. It was the central hub of knowledge and learning of the ancient world. It took on the roles of a library, research center and university.

It did this for almost 1,000 years. Long before the Muslim conquests.

Quote:
This is Ahmed (close enough): :mrt:

Hi, Ahmed!

Quote:
and boy does he have an offer for Bob.

Alright!

Quote:
He has this cool new religion whose main patrons have just conquered Alexandria, and he thinks that it's the shiz and he hopes Bob will think so too. But since he's tolerant and all, Bob can refuse for the small price of the jizya tax and some minor degradation. Otherwise, he's going to be killed, but you can hardly blame Ahmed.

Once again, bringing in the religion.... AND throwing us several hundred years into the future.

Stop focusing so much on a religious conquest, especially one done by an empire not formed until around 630AD. Alexandria was conquered by the Rashidun, and they didn't exist until the early 600's.

The Library shot that area forward hundreds of years before the Muslim conquest.

Quote:
Of the 300 surviving people who have full access to the Library, a paltry 20 have converted, and are keeping mum about the few texts they've read (They're not exactly Muhammed-approved, you see), 200 are stubborn bastards who are also keeping quiet, so as not to increase the general crappiness of life or bring it all to an end, anyway, and the remaining 80 have been killed.

We've already thrown out the tiny number, so let's move on.

There is more skepticism in the story of the Muslim destruction of the Library than there is in the Christian one. Those Christians had a thing for destroying anything that wasn't aligned with God. People, places, things, ideas.... nix 'em all.

Guess what! The Library had this thing called the temple of the Muses. We see where it goes from there.

Quote:
Bob joins the middle group, for the sake of the story, and ends up like this:

:whipping:

You've missed the entire point completely. The Library's effects were seen and felt for hundreds of years in every part of the ancient world. This includes the guys that would become the Rashidun, and ultimately the Arab Empire.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 03:26 pm
@Pinochet73,
Quote:
Starting off...

The archaeologists unearthed thirteen "lecture halls", each with a central podium. Zahi Hawass, the president of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that all together, the rooms uncovered so far could have seated 5000 students

Source: Library of Alexandria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How exactly did you come up with this number of 500 people?

I think you miss exactly what the Library is and what it did. It was the central hub of knowledge and learning of the ancient world. It took on the roles of a library, research center and university.

It did this for almost 1,000 years. Long before the Muslim conquests.

Quote:
This is from memory, but I recall reading that a few select scholars were allowed access to the largest part of the library, there was a smaller public wing, apparently. The library existed for quite a long time, in Alexandria's prime it could have attracted 5000 scholars, by the time of the Muslim conquest, I doubt it.

Once again, bringing in the religion.... AND throwing us several hundred years into the future.

Stop focusing so much on a religious conquest, especially one done by an empire not formed until around 630AD. Alexandria was conquered by the Rashidun, and they didn't exist until the early 600's.

The Library shot that area forward hundreds of years before the Muslim conquest.

Excuse me, I was under the impression that we were talking about Muslim culture in relation to the library.

Quote:
The Library shot that area forward hundreds of years before the Muslim conquest

Maybe it was more advanced, but hundreds of years is sort of speculative, which is besides the point. The Library was merely a gathering of most of the knowledge in the general Mediterranean area, and I'll bet most of the books were completely unknown to even those who did have access to the library. There were hundreds of thousands.

Quote:
We've already thrown out the tiny number, so let's move on

When was this?

Quote:
There is more skepticism in the story of the Muslim destruction of the Library than there is in the Christian one. Those Christians had a thing for destroying anything that wasn't aligned with God. People, places, things, ideas.... nix 'em all.

Lovely, your need to criticize Christianity and give a free pass to Muslims at every opportunity is wonderful, but that would also put the date of destruction quite a ways before the Muslim conquest. Please tell me exactly how the aura of the knowledge contained within managed to survive its destruction.

Quote:
You've missed the entire point completely. The Library's effects were seen and felt for hundreds of years in every part of the ancient world. This includes the guys that would become the Rashidun, and ultimately the Arab Empire.
\

Okay but how did they survive post mortem, did the library just seep into the pores of the city? And specific examples, if you will.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:47 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;53011 wrote:
Excuse me, I was under the impression that we were talking about Muslim culture in relation to the library.

We're talking about how the Muslims in the area were technologically a bit more advanced than "us", the crusaders for God.

Quote:
Maybe it was more advanced, but hundreds of years is sort of speculative, which is besides the point. The Library was merely a gathering of most of the knowledge in the general Mediterranean area, and I'll bet most of the books were completely unknown to even those who did have access to the library. There were hundreds of thousands.

If you walked into Alexandria, any written material you had with you was copied and stored in the library. Didn't matter who you were or where you came from. Didn't matter the language.

The Library was a research institute. It did more than harbor information. It spread it and taught it. Saying the Library is merely a gathering of knowledge is like saying Oxford University is just a collection of books or the Smithsonian is a collection of trinkets.

The Library of Congress has over thirty million cataloged books... does the fact that it contains so many texts and so few have seen them all diminish it's worth?

You also seem to believe that the Library was an exclusive club thing. Sorry, it was as much an institute of learning as it was a library. It was pretty public, as scholars and students would come and go throughout the days.

How many people have access to the Library of Congress?

Quote:
When was this?

When I showed you that the Library had lecture halls seating ten times the amount of people you tried to limit this to.

Why would an institute capable of handing several thousand students, only have a few hundred?

You're trying to move the goalposts.

Quote:
Lovely, your need to criticize Christianity and give a free pass to Muslims at every opportunity is wonderful, but that would also put the date of destruction quite a ways before the Muslim conquest. Please tell me exactly how the aura of the knowledge contained within managed to survive its destruction.

Your need to defend it and constantly criticize Muslims is wonderful too. Regardless, Christianity is in the lineup for this particular crime.

Ever learned something from someone? Ever taught it to someone else? That's how it's "aura" manages to survive. It's how a lot of trade knowledge is acquired... apprenticeships and such. If the schools where I learned my electronics know-how suddenly burned to the ground, would that knowledge just go *poof* and disappear, or would I be able to teach that knowledge to someone else... allowing the aura of knowledge to survive.

Quote:
Okay but how did they survive post mortem, did the library just seep into the pores of the city? And specific examples, if you will.

Specific examples. I'd love to, but exactly what was contained in the Library is gone, so there is no way to tell. However the evidence of what it was, what it did and what it contributed do lay heavily on my side of things.

Now, I'd like you to answer some questions.

Explain the number 500 in your argument. Why so few people? Where did you get this information and yes... supply evidence.

Provide evidence that the Library was destroyed by the Muslims, and not the Christians. Solid, hard-to-refute stuff would be nice... (I can show lots of evidence to the contrary) I don't give Islam a free pass, and I don't give Christianity one either. Own the hell up.

Evidence that the Muslims were barbarians. Shortly after that conquest, they had their golden age and WE were in the dark ages. Remember that.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:56 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;52977 wrote:
Michigan is sparsely populated with detroit being nearly half of the states total population, and being in the mid-west there is a lot of farmland and there is a lot of shipping and automobile industry. The upper peninsula is mostly wilderness and small rural towns, where the yuppers (as they're known) have canadian accents, it is nearly impossible to find a mcDonalds or a StarBucks in the U.P. of Michigan. It's a hilly state overall. The economy has been in the gutter lately one of the worst economies in the country.

Had a prof who earned his PhD at Wisconsin back in the '60s. He was one nutty old liberal dipstick. He told us at least once every hour or so that he earned his PhD at Wisconsin back in the '60s. By the time the course ended, I was numb from hearing it. What a frig'n idiot. What's with Wisconsin? A lot of folks from there act as though it's God's gift to America. I think of dairy cows and a boring, agricultural landscape when I imagine the place.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:21 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;53040 wrote:
Had a prof who earned his PhD at Wisconsin back in the '60s. He was one nutty old liberal dipstick. He told us at least once every hour or so that he earned his PhD at Wisconsin back in the '60s. By the time the course ended, I was numb from hearing it. What a frig'n idiot. What's with Wisconsin? A lot of folks from there act as though it's God's gift to America. I think of dairy cows and a boring, agricultural landscape when I imagine the place.

Why are you talking about wisconsin?
SWORD of GOD

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:58 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Excuse me to interupt your discussion here. But I just wonder what the Library of Alexandria had to do with the scientific advancement of Muslims during your midevil era !!?

This library has been destroyed and vanished way before the rise of Islam.

As stated in the following science article:
The library was later destroyed, possibly by Julius Caesar who had it burned as part of his campaign to conquer the city.

Library of Alexandria discovered

By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Library of Alexandria discovered

Archaeologists have found what they believe to be the site of the Library of Alexandria, often described as the world's first major seat of learning.
A Polish-Egyptian team has excavated parts of the Bruchion region of the Mediterranean city and discovered what look like lecture halls or auditoria.

Two thousand years ago, the library housed works by the greatest thinkers and writers of the ancient world.

Works by Plato and Socrates and many others were later destroyed in a fire.

Oldest University

Announcing their discovery at a conference being held at the University of California, Zahi Hawass, president of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that the 13 lecture halls uncovered could house as many as 5,000 students in total.

A conspicuous feature of the rooms, he said, was a central elevated podium for the lecturer to stand on.

"It is the first time ever that such a complex of lecture halls has been uncovered on any Greco-Roman site in the whole Mediterranean area," he added.

"It is perhaps the oldest university in the world."

Professor Wileke Wendrich, of the University of California, told BBC News Online that the discovery was incredibly impressive.

Alexandria was a major seat of learning in ancient times and regarded by some as the birthplace of western science.

Birthplace of geometry

It was a tiny fishing village on the Nile delta called Rhakotis when Alexander the Great chose it as the site of the new capital of his empire.

It was made Egypt's capital in 320 BC and soon became the most powerful and influential city in the region.

Its rulers built a massive lighthouse at Pharos, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and the famed Library of Alexandria.

It was at the library that Archimedes invented the screw-shaped water pump that is still in use today.

At Alexandria Eratosthenes measured the diameter of the Earth, and Euclid discovered the rules of geometry.

Ptolemy wrote the Almagest at Alexandria. It was the most influential scientific book about the nature of the Universe for 1,500 years.

The library was later destroyed, possibly by Julius Caesar who had it burned as part of his campaign to conquer the city.
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:44 am
@SWORD of GOD,
SWORD of GOD;53059 wrote:
Excuse me to interupt your discussion here. But I just wonder what the Library of Alexandria had to do with the scientific advancement of Muslims during your midevil era !!?

This library has been destroyed and vanished way before the rise of Islam.

Alright, I knew this time would come Smile Finally getting to talk to the Sword.

The Library was possibly destroyed by Caesar, possibly destroyed by the Christians, possibly destroyed by the Muslims. That's not the focus of my argument.

It's not what the Library did for them during that time... it's what it did for everyone before that time. That hunk of planet got a little farther ahead than most of the world in science and technology because of the Library, and it stayed that way for a short time after it's destruction. Much was lost in it's destruction, however I am sure certain basic things survived. Better metalworking and forging methods, for example, are things that could stick around long after somebody played a sinkhole on the Library. Things that can be taught as trade and such.

That kept that area (which I am going to take a guess includes the first Muslims) just a little bit ahead of the ballgame. Not an incredible lead, but just enough to make it interesting.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:47 pm
@Sabz5150,
C'mon guys, seriously! You know you can't beat Sabz in a debate, it's physically and logically impossible!
Reagaknight

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
@Pinochet73,
Quote:
If you walked into Alexandria, any written material you had with you was copied and stored in the library. Didn't matter who you were or where you came from. Didn't matter the language.

The Library was a research institute. It did more than harbor information. It spread it and taught it. Saying the Library is merely a gathering of knowledge is like saying Oxford University is just a collection of books or the Smithsonian is a collection of trinkets.

The Library of Congress has over thirty million cataloged books... does the fact that it contains so many texts and so few have seen them all diminish it's worth?

You also seem to believe that the Library was an exclusive club thing. Sorry, it was as much an institute of learning as it was a library. It was pretty public, as scholars and students would come and go throughout the days.

How many people have access to the Library of Congress?

If I recall correctly, there was a public wing at a temple in the city but there was an exclusive larger section. I could throw things like 'did you know that the books were copied and then the copies rather than the originals were given back to the owner' at you but none of this is proving any point.

Quote:
Specific examples. I'd love to, but exactly what was contained in the Library is gone, so there is no way to tell. However the evidence of what it was, what it did and what it contributed do lay heavily on my side of things.

Now, I'd like you to answer some questions.

What's your business claiming it furthered Muslim science/culture if you have no examples of the parts that benefited from it?

I'll talk about your questions anyway

Quote:
Explain the number 500 in your argument. Why so few people? Where did you get this information and yes... supply evidence.

Unfortunately, it's a loose example, from what I read in a book. That's all, and the book mentioned the fact that the large part of the library was open only to some scholars, etc., which Alexandria probably wasn't saturated with at the time of its conquest by Muslims.

Quote:
Provide evidence that the Library was destroyed by the Muslims, and not the Christians. Solid, hard-to-refute stuff would be nice... (I can show lots of evidence to the contrary) I don't give Islam a free pass, and I don't give Christianity one either. Own the hell up.

First you explain how it matters.