The Lost Tomb of Jesus - is it a religious attack?

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:37 pm
@z0z0,
It's a ridiculous proposition. How could anyone find the actual tomb of Jesus with any certainty? NONSENSE! Yes, it's an attack on Christianity, and a really obvious one at that.
Silverchild79

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:04 pm
@z0z0,
I'm out of this thread, you guys are paranoid and afraid. Trying to rationalize with you isn't going to work.

enjoy your closed minds
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:50 am
@Pinochet73,
Silverchild79 - can you tell us what your religious affiliation is?

You still don't get it - it is the fact that a Jew TODAY is trying to discredit Jesus.
That is the key point.

If a Christian made the "documentary" then OK.
Because a Jew makes the "documentary" it is NOT OK.

Leads to questions about his agenda and maybe even grander agendas.
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:48 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;13232 wrote:
Silverchild79 - can you tell us what your religious affiliation is?

You still don't get it - it is the fact that a Jew TODAY is trying to discredit Jesus.
That is the key point.

If a Christian made the "documentary" then OK.
Because a Jew makes the "documentary" it is NOT OK.

Leads to questions about his agenda and maybe even grander agendas.

I have no affiliation, organized religion is for people who need external validation. The group dynamic invariably leads to, on some level, judgment and pride which will bring you no closer to God.

I am an Amateur Scholar and Agnostic, I realize the significance of Christ, but I also realize he was one of 17 "Christs" to appear in world religion...

Jews have been trying to throw a shadow on Christianity since the first century, that isn't a "key point". Whether it's Jesus not fulfilling all the old testament prophecies of the messiah, or a DVD on a 1st century tomb found in 1980.

Regardless of this I have seen it, actually I own a copy, and it's at least 80% science. Whether you agree with the line he draws from history to where we are now is one thing, but to not weigh it on it's own merits is ignorance. And ignorance is the greatest sin you can commit against God IMO. Historical truth doesn't have a religious agenda, it is nothing more then the reflection of who we once were. To close your eyes to that borderlines on self imposed brain washing.

The most interesting, and disappointing aspect to all of this is in the two months since the premier of this documentary the expected forthcoming debate has yet to surface. When faced with reasonable historical possibilities, backed with real factual science, the best the Christian community can seem to muster is "This is fabricated". Or, "I'm not watching it because he's not a Christian". If the Christians have it 100% right what danger is there at all with considering these opinions? It was a big let down to see the Christians who oppose this can do no better then force their thumbs in their ears and yell "I can't hear you, LALALALA"
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 10:31 am
@Pinochet73,
A lot of things that are 80% science (and 20% something else) are a lot of BS.
It is the 20% that throws everything out the window.
The source matters as well.

If it was 100% science then I would have a different opinion.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 10:39 am
@z0z0,
so what if it was 80% science and 20% pro christian theory? Would it still be BS as you have judged this to be without even seeing it?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:06 am
@z0z0,
LOL, if you just claim the guys has a right to make what ever he wants you don't have to see any of it, LOL. I really do believe it fall under free speech.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:11 am
@z0z0,
I don't think there's any debate over if he has the right to do it

My concern was that people seem to make judgments on this without even seeing it
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:58 am
@z0z0,
science > religion.

always has, and always will be.

if science can prove that jesus was with mary magdelaine, cool.
if science can prove that everything in the bible is just a story, cool.

i'm a confirmed catholic, and don't really buy into a word of it.
IMO, the bible is nothing more than another Aesop's fables.... a book with stories designed to teach a lesson, most of which may be based on a factual person or event, but for the most part are fiction/wivetales/etc
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:01 pm
@z0z0,
Criticism should be given where it is due, but this is pure idiocy.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:48 pm
@z0z0,
"science > religion.

always has, and always will be."

That was part of Hitler's philosophy. He embraced the meanest version of Darwinism possible. Look what he did with it. No.....religion > science, because Man and his world are creations of God, and will go back to God when they expire, which they certainly will. Science can only master the world of matter. The divine cosmos will forever remain beyond its reach.
Reagaknight

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:54 pm
@z0z0,
You don't seem to understand our whole culture was based on religion. Even Liberalism wouldn't exist without it, thought the link is more vague. Science has not proven anything about Jesus and Mary Magdalene. The documentary was secular liberal garbage spewing and was debunked before they finished filming. I'd like to see the reaction if we make a documentary about Muhammeds pedophilia during Ramadan.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:56 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;13332 wrote:
No.....religion > science

Let's do a quick recap

Age of the Earth: Science: 1; Christianity: 0
Equality Of Women: Science: 2; Christianity: 0
Center of the Universe: Science: 3; Christianity: 0
Slavery: Science (or rather social science): 4; Christianity: 0

my god! it's a run away train!
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:58 pm
@z0z0,
Okay, excuse me, but what the hell did science do for the equality of women? Equal rights is Christianity based. Same for nuber four, clarify it.
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:02 pm
@z0z0,
Let's do another, quick recap:

Inability to stop polluting the Planet, despite its technical sophistication: Christianity: 3; Science: 0
Recognition of the innate dignity of human life: Christianity: 10; Science: 0
Protection of the weak against brutal authoritariansim: Christianity: 20; Science: 0
Rationalization of the slaughter of the weak for the benefit of the strong: Science: 100; Christianity: -100

Gosh....it's Darwinist slaughter-fest. Here come Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot.
z0z0

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:28 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;13341 wrote:
Let's do another, quick recap:
Rationalization of the slaughter of the weak for the benefit of the strong: Science: 100; Christianity: -100

I am a Christian - well Roman Catholic - and even I am willing to admit that for over 1,000 years the Church has been one of the most horrible institutions on this planet. The Church was responsible for stagnation in social development and in the deaths of untold numbers of people - just think the Inquisition, the Witch Burnings, the Crusades, the Conquest of the New World and the Missionaries doing their Holy Work. Just look at the misfortunes of the North American Native people at the hands of the Church.

The Church has not done anything for Women's Equality - just look at how many female priests there are in the Roman Catholic or Orthodox faiths.

The Church was definitely one screwed up organization.
Notice I said The Church and not the Spirituality.

Today we are mature enough to live by the Spirituality
(well maybe not the Southern Wingnuts)
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:37 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
Inquisition, the Witch Burnings, the Crusades, the Conquest of the New World and the Missionaries

Spain, Justified, Spain, Spain. Basically, Spanish people are just assholes who find religion a convenient tool to wipe out religious dessent and therefore any possibility of rebellion having to do with it. Do you know why the Crusades were started?

Quote:
The Church has not done anything for Women's Equality - just look at how many female priests there are in the Roman Catholic or Orthodox faiths.

That's based on a tradition dating to the time shortly after Christ. Women and men have always been separated in lives of faith because all disciples were men. Christian morals support equality for all people.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 08:49 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;13339 wrote:
Okay, excuse me, but what the hell did science do for the equality of women? Equal rights is Christianity based. Same for nuber four, clarify it.

oops, number #4 was slavery not science (although Christianity has done more to under mind science then virtually anything else on the planet)... anyways

your awnsers

Equality of the sexes

Bible:

34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church. -1 Corinthians 14 (NIV)

2I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings,[a] just as I passed them on to you.

3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. -1 Corinthians 11

But yet we know now that women are just as capable as men of preaching a religion

Slavery

1All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2Those who have believing masters are not to show less respect for them because they are brothers. Instead, they are to serve them even better, because those who benefit from their service are believers, and dear to them. These are the things you are to teach and urge on them. -1 Timothy 6

47"That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. -Luke 12 (and the words of Jesus himself)

But yet we as a country in 1863 confirmed that slavery in ANY form for ANY reason is morally wrong

Note: I only used NT references to save us the "Law or Grace" debate, you're welcome

Reagaknight;13352 wrote:
Christian morals support equality for all people.

you got it exactly half right. Church Christianity advocates for the equal treatment of men and women, but the Bible says when I've posted above. That is hardly equality.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:06 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
(although Christianity has done more to under mind science then virtually anything else on the planet)....

I think that would be hard to prove. Through out mankinds quest for knowledge the prodominant faith of those scientists has be Christianity, IMO?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:12 pm
@z0z0,
hard to prove? When I think of groups of people who have executed scientists for advancing new information only one group comes to mind...
0 Replies