The Lost Tomb of Jesus - is it a religious attack?

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:19 am
Simcha Jacobovici
Simcha Jacobovici - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Simcha Jacobovici: Information from Answers.com

Made the documentary

The Lost Tomb of Jesus
The Lost Tomb of Jesus (2007) (TV)

But Simcha is Jewish. Jews believe (correct me if I am wrong) that Jesus was just another man and not the Messiah (who they are still waiting for). The belief in Jesus is what separates Christians from Jews. Does Simcha have any right to attack the fundamentals of the Christian religion?

Would Simcha in a similar vein have any right to "debunk" the "myths of Mohammed"?
Does a non-Jew have the right to debunk the key myths of Judaism?

I think that Christians have the right to investigate their own faith but I think that others that already have an "anti-Jesus" philosophy should not have the right to attack the Christian faith. I do not think that Simcha has the right to tell us that what we believe is wrong and that Jesus' bones are still on earth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,037 • Replies: 77
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:01 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;13136 wrote:
Simcha Jacobovici
Simcha Jacobovici - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Simcha Jacobovici: Information from Answers.com

Made the documentary

The Lost Tomb of Jesus
The Lost Tomb of Jesus (2007) (TV)

But Simcha is Jewish. Jews believe (correct me if I am wrong) that Jesus was just another man and not the Messiah (who they are still waiting for). The belief in Jesus is what separates Christians from Jews. Does Simcha have any right to attack the fundamentals of the Christian religion?

Would Simcha in a similar vein have any right to "debunk" the "myths of Mohammed"?
Does a non-Jew have the right to debunk the key myths of Judaism?

I think that Christians have the right to investigate their own faith but I think that others that already have an "anti-Jesus" philosophy should not have the right to attack the Christian faith. I do not think that Simcha has the right to tell us that what we believe is wrong and that Jesus' bones are still on earth.
I voted yes.
Quote:
Does Simcha have any right to attack the fundamentals of the Christian religion?

As a free man, he has the right to try and debunk whom ever he wishes. The persuit of such is not a guaranttee of success. To drive it home for me all Simcha has to do is provin said bones then without a show of a doubt, prove they belong to Jesus himself. And even then i may not believe him. I believe that is why they call it faith.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:30 am
@z0z0,
What if the end result becomes everyone trying to debunk everyone else's religion.
Could this lead to even further religious intolerance?

If saying something against the Jewish faith is considered anti-Semitic then why is not the same concept relevant for Christianity?
markx15

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:32 am
@z0z0,
I voted yes, but my option was not there. I believe that before anyone should try to debunk anything they should fully understand their object of study.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:38 am
@z0z0,
But if a Jew attacks Christianity - is he not basically saying "My religion is better than yours because YOURS is F*cked Up"

I think this will lead to more intolerance because the outsider that seeks to debunk will be seen as an attacker.

Consider that present PC standards state that only a black person can call another black person a n*gger. White people are not allowed to do that.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:54 am
@z0z0,
Only if you limit yourself to seeing the persons ethinc disposition. Criticism is not an attack, it helps solidify and refine an idea, christianity isn't perfect, anyone can tell you this, that is why many pick and choose from the Bible. Without competition there is no evolution.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:51 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;13142 wrote:
What if the end result becomes everyone trying to debunk everyone else's religion.

If saying something against the Jewish faith is considered anti-Semitic then why is not the same concept relevant for Christianity?

Quote:

It can also go the other way, maybe even fester more tolerant views, the kick for me is while trying to debunk they have to delve into the religion. It can only serve to help even if the outcome is unexpected. IMO
Quote:
If saying something against the Jewish faith is considered anti-Semitic then why is not the same concept relevant for Christianity

Diffference being is public interpretation. One of the choices is considered Politically Correct, the other is not. It's OK for the PC crowd to bash Christians but it is not ok to bash Jews.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:11 am
@z0z0,
I voted yes. You can try to debunk anything you want to debunk. Just don't whine when some Christian tries to criticize Jewish or Muslim beliefs, which is so common.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:13 am
@z0z0,
this won't lead to intolerance, the christian paranoia over this is a runaway truck.

Let me ask you, have you even seen it?

while the filmmaker is not a scientist the people he enlists to help him are, this is a very noteworthy documentary on a tomb found in 1980 and largely disregarded
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:36 am
@z0z0,
What if there is an anti-Christian agenda?

Reference:
What Simcha Jacobovici Will Never Make A Movie About

What if this is reality?

[INDENT][/INDENT]
Drnaline

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:38 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;13164 wrote:
What if there is an anti-Christian agenda?

Reference:
What Simcha Jacobovici Will Never Make A Movie About

What if this is reality?

[INDENT][/INDENT]
What do you mean IF, LOL?
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:43 am
@z0z0,
I don't know the internal workings of Judaism and so that is why I wrote "IF".

Do people here think the comments referenced on the other website are true?

Silverchild79 just calls it "christian paranoia " - but is not paranoia many times based on some reality?

Do they hate us and want to discredit Jesus?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 11:03 am
@z0z0,
I really don't think that's their intention. It's more about examining the tomb and seeing where it leads.

I think the difference is the same difference between apologetics and historical science

Apologists know what the truth is, then use science to find details to support it

Science uses the hard details to try and figure what the truth is, regardless of the social implications

there is no way those two schools are thought aren't going to conflict, but I'd stop short of saying that one side's purpose is to destroy the other, that's where the paranoia is IMO
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 11:39 am
@z0z0,
Is it not curious that two Jewish guys decide to disprove the divinity of Jesus Christ?
Silverchild79

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 11:53 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;13170 wrote:
Is it not curious that two Jewish guys decide to disprove the divinity of Jesus Christ?

based on the actions of Jews in the last 2000 years concerning Christianity... not exactly curious

it would be curious if the documentary was made by Falwell and the Pope... that would be "curious"
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 12:22 pm
@z0z0,
Which actions do you reference?
I am finding this quite appalling.
Hollywood directs culture.

Is this the reason that Christian society is falling apart?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
@z0z0,
not Hollywood, calm down

Jews have been trying to disprove Christ for 2,000 years, it's not "curious" that this would extend into film making. It's not even an attack on Christianity, in fact their very respectful of the faith and make several claims to that in the documentary. They basically say

"We are not attempting to destroy the faith of Christianity, we simply want to learn more about this tomb and what it *could* be"

Hollywood doesn't direct my concept of culture, and I would hardly call the Discovery Channel Hollywood.

I didn't know Christianity was falling apart, in fact I've seen several religious leaders who think that it's actually growing... not that I agree, that's just what I've seen.

IF, I was to speculate as to why Christianity was unraveling I would think that it is because the word of God should be timeless, but as the world changes ever more rapidly we seem to find more and more issues that the Bible just "hasn't kept up on". We've progressed more as a planet in the last 300 years then we had in the 5000 years before that.

I would say that to the average person Christianity just doesn't work for them anymore because it conflicts with their lives, for others (like myself) it is the reintroduction of knowledge that survived the early Universal Church's suppression of knowledge that has caused me to ask more questions then the Bible can answer.

again I will ask you, have you even watched this "appalling" documentary?
0 Replies

sword cv

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 02:01 pm
@z0z0,
silverchild79:

" It's not even an attack on Christianity, in fact their very respectful of the faith and make several claims to that in the documentary." Right, so claiming to have proven that Jesus Christ never resurrected and is not God isn't an attack on Christianity? Then what is? Saying that Christians have bad table manners? And if you believe Simcha Jacobovichi when he claims to have great respect for Christianity, then you believe Hillary Clinton when she says that she wants to find common ground on abortion. Look, Jacobovichi is no fool; he knows how to play the game. Of course he wants to appear to not be motivated by any animus against Christianity, because if his real motives were to come out his work would be exposed as the agenda - driven advocacy that it is. And I read this fellow's interview in The Jerusalem Post. He claimed that Jesus Christ was a Pharisee who died defending Jerusalem, that His disciples followed him because of His radical political and religious views. Another person of this sort who has a show on the same channel, Shmuley Boteach in a column that also appeared in the Jerusalem Post, adds to those the claims that the gospels were edited to invent claims of Christ's deity and resurrection. It is a general effort among certain Jews like Boteach to get Christians to start viewing Christianity as adhering to the teachings of a human philosopher; to get Christians to stop believing in the resurrection and deity of Jesus Christ but instead to start viewing Jesus to Judaism what Buddha was to Hinduism; as a way for Gentiles to practice a limited form of Judaism. That is what people like Boteach, Jacobovichi, and similar mean when they say that they "respect Christianity and are not trying to destroy it." Rather, they claim that by getting Christians to abandon the "false claim" that Jesus Christ is the resurrected God in the flesh, they are "helping Christians"; "liberating us from false belief systems designed to control us"; "helping Christianity grow up"; etc. Of course, such Jews seem to have little or no motivation to do the same with Hinduism, Islam, Scientology, or basically any other religion in the world other than ours. Based on the comments that you made, you seem to be struggling with your own faith. Well, do not view the agendas of people who by your own admission have been denying the resurrection for 2000 years in the context of your own struggles. Your internal struggles do not make the claims of Boteach, Jacobovichi, and similar (there are lots of Jewish scholars peddling the "Jesus pharisee" angle these days) any more truthful or their motives any more honorable.
0 Replies

CancerMan

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 02:52 pm
@z0z0,
A non-Christian should not attack Christianity's core beliefs.
A non Muslim should not attack Islamic core beliefs

Society is falling apart - just look at
- Decline of the family - increasing divorce rate
- Increase in crime - look at the jails
- Americans are less happy than ever before

America is based on Christian foundations. Christianity has been under attack since the mid 1960s. The American ideal today is self-centered hedonism based on credit cards.

Someone might not want a strong Christian country because it would be more difficult to manipulate. The ideal for a minority power wielder is to weaken the majority so that the minority can more easily manipulate. In some ways Hollywood is the cause of the moral decay of America. A cancer rotting the body from within.

Jacobovici could be seen as having an agenda to prove that Christianity is a religion based on phony foundations. Create doubt and then help the cracks in the doubt grow. Once people have no faith then they have no unity.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 06:46 pm
@z0z0,
Yes - I downloaded it last night.
Jacobovici is not an academic so what is the significant interest in Jesus.
Yes they make the comment you reference but that means nothing because they are still questioning Jesus' divinity.
0 Replies