Iraq. Who Is winning?

au1929

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 10:52 am
The war in Iraq. Who do you think is presently winning. Based on our being forced to constantly alter our positions and plans I wonder.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 558 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 11:03 am
Interesting question, Au! And virtually unanswerable. If you're patient, I'll type in here a quote (in an article in a recent Nation) from General Zinni:

"It's pretty interesting that all the generals see it the same way, and all the others, who have never fired a shot and are hot to go to war, see it another... We are about to... ignite a fuse in this region... we will rue the day we ever started."

Eric Alterman (from whose article that quote -- and several others from Zinni) is taken, concludes:

"General Zinni is a brave and patriotic soldier. After he made those remarks, he was informed by Bush Administration officials that he 'will never be used by the White House again.' Compare that with the kid-glove treatment given General ('my God is bigger than your god') Boykin. Like his fellow former soldier, John McCain, Zinni hears echoes in the rhetoric of the Bush team that must give him nightmares. 'It reminds me of Vietnam. Here we have some strategic thinkers who have long wanted to invade Iraq. They saw an opportunity, and they used the imminence of the threat and the association with terrorism and the 9/11 emotions as a catalyst and justification. It's another Gulf of Tonkin.'"
0 Replies

illmatic

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:41 pm
I don't think anybody is winning. Surely not the average Iraqi. If anybody then the worlds oil industry from the extra flow of oil.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:40 pm
To date there has been no extra flow of oil. In fact they are shipping less oil now than they were under Saddam.
0 Replies