Presidents global approval rating, Does it matter to you?

Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:29 am
In light of yet one more American state visit met with outrage, rioting and anger. Tens of thousands of protestors screaming in the streets burning statue in effigy. Do these activities affect the psyche of the American voter? Will this seemingly universal hatred of your leader alter your vote. I guess what I'm interested in, does another nation/s view change your perspective, does Bush's international image concern you at all? Do you think the world's opinion will matter to the US voters at large. If not, why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 895 • Replies: 15
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:42 pm
It matters to me, but then again I am one of those intellectua,l pate eating, Bill Moyers watching, NPR listening, commie pinkos. Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:32 pm
I will make my own decision regarding the merits or demerits of our leadership. I neither want nor need the help of foreign agitators to make that decision.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:07 pm
I made up my mind about Bush before he became governor of Texas. I find it mortifying that people could actually cast even one vote for such a person.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:33 pm
Bill I eat pate too! ;-}

Au, is foreign policy a relevant part of the voting decision or would you call yourself fairly typical and keep all voting decisions isolated from the world stage.

Ed, I realize most people have made up their minds but I'm wondering if at all, does the worlds opinion matter. The world loved JFK and for the most part Clinton was pretty well liked globally, did it matter at home?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:56 pm
It doesn't matter to me for the reason I stated.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 02:35 am
From those this administration considers "the Enemy."
Al-Jazeera Polls
Quote:
If you were in Britain, would you protest against President Bush's visit?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Unsure

a 71%
b 26%
c 3%

Number of Pollers: 23540

Is the world safer with a single superpower?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Unsure

a 21%
b 74%
c 5%

Number of Pollers: 22524

Do you think differences between US and Europe are widening?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Unsure

a 74%
b 20%
c 6%

Number of Pollers: 24760

Should sanctions be imposed to stop Israel building its so called security wall?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Unsure?

a 74%
b 22%
c 3%

Number of Pollers: 24178

Is the US losing the war in Iraq?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Unsure

a 65%
b 24%
c 10%

Number of Pollers: 30736

0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:15 am
Ceili
Quote:

Au, is foreign policy a relevant part of the voting decision or would you call yourself fairly typical and keep all voting decisions isolated from the world stage.

Foreign policy is one thing and a bunch of crazies demonstrating in the streets is another. As to foreign policy my concern is whether it in the interest of the US or not. Do you perhaps think these crazies have anything different in mind as it effects their interests.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:19 am
Hobitbob
I see you still have your ear tuned to your favorite news source Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 08:40 am
I resent being called a crazy.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 08:45 am
It doesn't matter to me.
You prefer your President to be respected, if you respect him/her, but if you agree with most of your President's goals/actions--public opinion shouldn't sway you, IMO.

I think a lot of extraneous matter is expected of a President, which really shouldn't matter.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 10:10 am
Edgar
The question was about foreign crazies. I was under the illusion that Texas was still part of the US. However, being stationed there for a year in the 40's I would be willing to vote in favor of letting it go. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 12:18 pm
No matter the nation, protestors are diverse. Just because I can't attend an event does not mean I am not there in spirit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 12:24 pm
I knew before that au thinks, I'm crazy.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 02:16 pm
I highly doubt all the protesters are crazies.
If my leader was so hated I think I would make it a voting consideration, after all he/she represents me. I find americans, for the most part, to be very insular - not really caring about the world reaction, but I would think it would matter(just a little). The US is considered by many to be THE world power. So why don't americans put more stock in the global perspective? Is the electorate thumbing their colective noses at the world at the same time giving power to a hated regime that will dominate global politics, or is the concern only domestic issues with little regard to larger issues?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 03:37 pm
No Walter I was talking about the other guy Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies