Research questions.

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 01:26 am
What are some research questions in philosophy? What are some type of question that you feel passionate about, and that you study all the textbooks, and you read all there is? It has to be something that you research, and put a lot of effort in the act study.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 14
No top replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:38 am
@TuringEquivalent,
mathematical realism - whether numbers are real or simply conventional.
Relationship between idealism, cognitivism and constructivism. Anthropic principles in cosmology. Physics and philosophy.

I wouldn't say I have read all there is to read on any of them - that would be a vast amount - but they are interesting topics.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:46 am
@jeeprs,
Literature are vast as with anything, in any subject, but the essentials, and fundamental results could be understood. In philosophy, there is really few standard arguments. The basic ideas are there, but the rest is detail. Some people are so bad with the fundamentals arguments that everything is free association to them.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:27 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

What are some research questions in philosophy? What are some type of question that you feel passionate about, and that you study all the textbooks, and you read all there is? It has to be something that you research, and put a lot of effort in the act study.

Why it is believed that objects can exist only if observed when we know that many objects (like the Moon) existed long before any observers existed.

Why it is believed that we cannot know unless we are certain (it is impossible for us to be mistaken) when science constantly accords us knowledge which is no certain.

In general, why philosophers sincerely believe what they know to be false.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:17 am
@kennethamy,
What about scientists? They say the world is nonlocal. That it is meaningless to say anything definite about reality before observation. That the world is a 4 d manifold. That singular is where space, and time began. Is that not weird, and counterintuitive?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:49 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

What about scientists? They say the world is nonlocal. That it is meaningless to say anything definite about reality before observation. That the world is a 4 d manifold. That singular is where space, and time began. Is that not weird, and counterintuitive?

I wouldn't know, since I don't understand a lot of that. But I don't think that any scientist I have hear about thinks that it is meaningless to say anything definite about reality before observation. Could you say who it is you mean? For example, I believe that Von Pauli held that there were neutrinos, and then after a while some observations were make to confirm that statement. Or, Pasteur postulated the existence of germs, but it was sometime after that we could actually observe germs through more powerful microscopes.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:27 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

I wouldn't know, since I don't understand a lot of that. But I don't think that any scientist I have hear about thinks that it is meaningless to say anything definite about reality before observation.

And perhaps you never heard of the interpretation of quantum mechanics. It is a pretty big thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation
Quote:

For example, I believe that Von Pauli held that there were neutrinos, and then after a while some observations were make to confirm that statement. Or, Pasteur postulated the existence of germs, but it was sometime after that we could actually observe germs through more powerful microscopes.

Does the fact that i can postulate something makes it science? Obvious not. Perhaps we need to postulate something that can conceivable be observed? This would rule out the existence of quarks. Perhaps we can postulate something, and also set out a set of rules for what count as evidence? Would that be satisfying?

jeeprs

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:24 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
you will find that most philosophers are not willing to tackle the implications of the Copenhagen interpretation. It is all too hard.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:28 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

I wouldn't know, since I don't understand a lot of that. But I don't think that any scientist I have hear about thinks that it is meaningless to say anything definite about reality before observation.

QM is something I do not pretend to understand, and most people on this board do pretend to understand it. Postulation is an integral part of theoretical science. The history of science is rife with discovery through postulation, and then attempting to confirm what was postulated. I have already given you two examples from the history of science, one of which was the postulation of germs by Pasteur. Another celebrated instance was the discovery of the planet Neptune which resulted from it postulation to explain certain anomalies in the orbit of Uranus. Postulation is at the heart of theoretical science. Indeed, the term "theoretical" is meant to point to the fact that what was postulated was not directly observed, but was rather theorized in order to explain what was directly observed.
And perhaps you never heard of the interpretation of quantum mechanics. It is a pretty big thing.

Quote:

For example, I believe that Von Pauli held that there were neutrinos, and then after a while some observations were make to confirm that statement. Or, Pasteur postulated the existence of germs, but it was sometime after that we could actually observe germs through more powerful microscopes.

Does the fact that i can postulate something makes it science? Obvious not. Perhaps we need to postulate something that can conceivable be observed? This would rule out the existence of quarks. Perhaps we can postulate something, and also set out a set of rules for what count as evidence? Would that be satisfying?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Quote:

QM is something I do not pretend to understand, and most people on this board do pretend to understand it. Postulation is an integral part of theoretical science. The history of science is rife with discovery through postulation, and then attempting to confirm what was postulated. I have already given you two examples from the history of science, one of which was the postulation of germs by Pasteur. Another celebrated instance was the discovery of the planet Neptune which resulted from it postulation to explain certain anomalies in the orbit of Uranus. Postulation is at the heart of theoretical science. Indeed, the term "theoretical" is meant to point to the fact that what was postulated was not directly observed, but was rather theorized in order to explain what was directly observed.
de Silentio

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Research questions in philosophy should be centered around a specific thesis. I don't think general questions are good "research" questions, they are more areas of study.

So, some of the research topics I've dealt with lately:

1. Bonjour's answer to the Sellar's problem
2. The Relation between Kierkegaard's faith paradox and his Absolute Paradox
3. The Dialogical Nature of Philosophy
4. Merleu-Ponty's critique of Husserls Phenomenological Reduction
5. Kant's Judgments of Perception and Judgements of Experience

Notice that these all sound like research paper titles.... because they are. Research must have a specific focus. That isn't to say a good general background is not required, because general background is extremely important. But it seems to me that research should have a set direction. Otherwise one's research become less research like and more study like.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Quote:

I have a feeling there is some disconnect between what i said, and what you think i said. I do think postulation is integral part of science, but it is by no mean the only part. This is surely no what distinguish real science from fakes.
Religious people postulates a god to explain the order in the world, but this is surely not science.

You must be ******* joking me if you are telling me you don ` t understand what 'interpretation of QM' mean. I just gave you that link.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:44 pm
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Research questions in philosophy should be centered around a specific thesis. I don't think general questions are good "research" questions, they are more areas of study.

So, some of the research topics I've dealt with lately:

1. Bonjour's answer to the Sellar's problem
2. The Relation between Kierkegaard's faith paradox and his Absolute Paradox
3. The Dialogical Nature of Philosophy
4. Merleu-Ponty's critique of Husserls Phenomenological Reduction
5. Kant's Judgments of Perception and Judgements of Experience

Notice that these all sound like research paper titles.... because they are. Research must have a specific focus. That isn't to say a good general background is not required, because general background is extremely important. But it seems to me that research should have a set direction. Otherwise one's research become less research like and more study like.

Then more an area of study. Research is more specific. Great. Fine. Do you really need to write all that?
de Silentio

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:04 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Then more an area of study. Research is more specific. Great. Fine. Do you really need to write all that?

You asked for research questions, so I provided some. I also added a point that research should be focused on a specific topic and explained why. Sorry you felt that I wrote too much. Did you really have to be so cranky in your reply?
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:48 pm
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

You asked for research questions, so I provided some. I also added a point that research should be focused on a specific topic and explained why. Sorry you felt that I wrote too much. Did you really have to be so cranky in your reply?

Great, fine. I don ` t do more than i need. bye.
0 Replies