please modify this urgent letter

bubu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:44 am
Hello,
The letter below is an explanation the school authorities have asked a teacher to give for not doing his lesson plan in the lesson plan register one day [here, everyday the teachers have to write their lesson plans in a register which the school inspectors will check]
Can you plz make the letter look professional.

Dear sir,
This letter is to bring your kind notice to the reason I failed to write my lesson plan for 23rd June and justify that it was only a mistake and not deliberate negligence.
Sir, on 23rd June, just before I left the school, I received a call on a very important and pressing family matter and I had to rush off in a panic. Unfortunately, I had left the lesson plan register in the school office cabinet. Therefore, when you came the day after, you did not find the lesson plan done in it. I know it was my mistake to forget the lesson plan register at the office and I apologize profusely.
Sir, you will already have seen that my lesson plans were complete up to 22nd of June. I need to bring to your kind consideration that it was my first mistake and pray to be forgiven this time. I swear that this mistake shall not be repeated.

Yours faithfully

Thnk you in advance for taking the trouble of modifying the letter

mark noble

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:29 pm
@bubu,
Hi BUBU,

This is how I would write it.

To whom it may concern.

I am human and I err occasianally. Get over it, or find yourself another teacher!

Yours sincerely .............

Hope that helps, BUBU.
Have a lovely day.
Mark...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:33 pm
>snort
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:26 pm
@bubu,
Dear sir,

This letter is to bring to your kind attention [notice] [to] the reason I failed to write my lesson plan for 23rd June and to explain [justify] that it was only a mistake and not deliberate negligence.

Sir, on 23rd June, just before I left the school, I received a call on a very important and pressing family matter and I had to leave quickly [rush off in a panic]. Unfortunately, I had left the lesson plan register in the school office cabinet. Therefore, when you came the day after, you did not find the lesson plan done [in it].

I know it was my mistake to forget the lesson plan register at the office and I apologize profusely.

Sir, you will already have seen that my lesson plans were complete up to 22nd of June. I need to bring to your kind consideration that it was my first mistake and pray to be forgiven this time. I swear that this mistake shall not be repeated.

Yours faithfully,
0 Replies

bubu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:16 pm
Mark noble, you have a great sense of humour!!

JTT, thank you for your effort in simplifying the letter and ommiting the unnecessry phrases. Are you a native speaker? Can you explain why the word 'justify' was not correct? Thank you again
JTT

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:42 pm
@bubu,
Yes, I'm a native speaker, Bubu, with many years of teaching English to second language learners.

'justify' sounds too momentous. It fails to convey the obvious sense of modesty that the rest of the letter seems to convey.

The problem with me offering my suggestions is that I don't know what culture you are from, Bubu. With my suggestions, I tried to keep a modest tone, but there is more than one way to write this, as I;m sure that you're aware.

Good luck. I hope you don't get fired. :-)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:43 pm
Quote:
pressing family matter and I had to leave quickly

be prepared to document or explain this and have some means of proving your excuse.
If you are able to document this, for example with a medical certificate, appointment card or deposition from a family member or college you should include copies of any such documents
0 Replies