RexRed

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 12:29 pm
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 02:40 pm
@RexRed,
Green plants of all types produce oxygen through photosynthesis powered by the sun in which the plant absorbs CO2 and releases free O2. The rate of oxygen productiojn is proportional to the growth rate of the plant. Some fast-growing trees like redwoods and some pines are fast growing, while other varieties grow very slowly. Some food crops with very high rates of growth produce more O2 per acre than do some trees.

For all of them, an increased density of available CO2 tends to accelerate their growth rate, yielding more CO2 absorption and more oxygen production.

You are hardly one to presume greater accuracy about things you obviously don't understand.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 03:33 pm
@georgeob1,
This is actually kind of a fun thread.

Let's just set up a battery that runs a motor. The motor can turn a generator which then charges the battery.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 03:46 pm
@roger,
Thanks. I think you have earlier pointed out a couple of the many ( effectively) perpetual motion machines, that have been suggested here by the author of this thread.

Finding solutions is easy when one is uninhibited by knowledge of the reality of things like side effects, conversion losses, entropy, conservation of energy and other annoyances like that.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 06:10 pm
We as humans not only need to stop ignoring species that are becoming extinct, we need to build things that help species overcome difficulties as we make life more diverse we are able to learn more from life. What do we build to help life?

Like doctors we build contraptions and nano precision implements, to preserve life. Geo transforms.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 07:18 pm
@RexRed,
Evolution, that is adaptation by living things to changing external conditions and stresses, is what creates the diversity of life. It has done this since the beginnings, and continues, unassisted today.

More uninformed, childish drivel.
RexRed

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 08:49 pm
@georgeob1,
And you're the man with all the answers... tired... Well, I don't have the answers right now myself...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 10:00 pm
Let creation reveal its secrets
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:45 pm
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/12987_612149045477277_1786428990_n.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:58 pm
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 08:09 pm
It’s Now So Hot in Australia that Gasoline Evaporates Before You Can Pump It
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/09/australia-too-hot-to-pump-gas-needs-new-colors/
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 11:34 pm
Tiny Marine Creature Spreading Through Ocean, Stabilizing Reefs and Islands With Calcareous Shells
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130206190628.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Ftop_news%2Ftop_environment+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Top+News+--+Top+Environment%29
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 07:10 pm
I have a new theory, at least to myself, I am just throwing it out for people to comment.

I think the sun made DNA.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 10:01 pm
@RexRed,
If the sun (or other stars) can "make DNA" then life should be very common throughout the universe. Given that the universe was already 8+ billion years old when our sun and its planets formed , we should have seen some indication of that life by now. However, we have no such indications or evidence. What facts lead you to the conclusion that the sun and stars can make DNA?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:10 pm
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/574717_609365459090105_1291506253_n.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:56 pm
False Spontaneity of the Tea Party
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-gore/tea-party-koch-brothers-big-tobacco_b_2689380.html
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 04:42 am
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/45716_10151292956586275_32504405_n.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 01:13 pm
Here you go George, tell us again how much less nuclear power costs over the use of cleaner energy sources. Who is going to pay to clean up this now volition nuclear waste dump?

Tell me how I don't understand science again...

Tank at Hanford nuclear site leaking radioactive liquids, Washington governor says
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/15/16977573-tank-at-hanford-nuclear-site-leaking-radioactive-liquids-washington-governor-says?lite

Excerpt:
Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the federal government must not waiver in its commitment to clean up the highly contaminated site, Inslee told reporters.

Comment: Why should the federal government pay for this out of our tax dollars? How about the nuclear corporations pay for this out of their own long term profits and their promise (lies) to sell us cheap energy all along...

THIS IS NOT CHEAP ENERGY PEOPLE IF DOWN THE ROAD WE ARE FACED WITH A DISASTER!
georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 02:27 pm
@RexRed,
You really do have little understanding of the extent of your ignorance, which is broad, pervasive and profound. You don't know what you don't know or understand, and you don't make allowance for it. That is the difference between ignorant and stupid. You are stupid.

The tanks you noted have nothing whatever to do with the generation of electrical power by nuclear reactors ... zip, nada. They are a relic of the WWII effort to design and construct nuclear weapons - all done in a hurry in the early 1940s due to the war effort, and long before out modern safety standards for radionuclides were in effect. In those days you could still buy a wristwatch with a (powerfully) radioactive radium dial; construction workers happily wrapped loose asbestos sheets around pipes; most adults smoked cigarettes; etc. - all activities involving much more health risk than that posed by the leaking tanks.

The site in Question is at Hanford Washington. It's a very empty and dry desert area in Eastern Washington, that, precisely because of its remoteness, was selected in 1942 as a site for the Manhattan Project's effort to produce plutonium for nuclear bombs. We then had two parallel projects for the construction of nuclear weapons; (1) a uranium bomb with the enrichment facility located at Oak Ridge Tenn.; and (2) a plutonium bomb with the production facility located in Hanford Washington.

The Hanford site is the property of the U.S. Government and is run by the Department of Energy - the department that wasted billions on Solyndra and other foolish scams. The process of separating plutonium from spent nuclear fuel involves dissolving it in nitric acid and chemically precipitating the plutonium from the solution. This, otherwise very simple process involved large quantities of highly acidic waste, also containing other radioactive elements in the dissolved spent fuel. It would have been easy to precipitate them out as well, and to store them in compact shielded containers, leaving the highly acidic solution to be chemically neutralised - all easily done. However, in the midst of the urgency and haste of the war effort, none of that was done. Instead they constructed some 230 large underground tanks in which they dumped the process residue. The stuff has been sitting there for almost 70 years - the government never got around to start emptying the tanks and processing the conternts until about five years ago. Instead they spent 50 years "studying the problem" - something no private utility would ever do.

Finally after all this delay the Energy Department has started to empty the tanks and process the waste in them. A few of the tanks have known leaks, and there is a small plume of detectable radiation under them. In all this time it has moved only a few feet in the dry, desert soil. For the past 20 years Washington State and the Federal government have conducted a ritual around federal budget time. Whenever the state becomes concerned about the level of funding for the agonizingly slow cleanup effort, it issues dire announcments about the leaking tanks The Department of Energy then gets off its ass - a little. This is the current year ritual. It has more to do with the State's concerns about the Energy Department budget than the risks posed by the leakage.

I know a lot about this because I was once the CEO of the company performing the Engineering and Construction activities at the Hanford site.

You would be much wiser to spend your time educating yourself in the basic physics and thermodymamics of these issues that just randomly perusing web sites for out of context iunformation you are unable to comprehend or interpret.
RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 02:59 pm
@georgeob1,
I see so you are the one sending out this disinformation campaign to protect shareholders about nuclear fuels being cheaper in the long run...

You are talking about government getting off their butts? How about the private sector getting off their butts? They are the cause of this. and should be required to pay full restoration of the facilities PERPETUALLY...

Let's see how fast they then transition to cleaner energy sources and change their tune.

I admit my knowledge of nuclear energy and physics is sorely lacking but not as lacking as your conscience...