Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:58 am
This morning, I was one of two respondents to a new thread. The other contributor told the author that his hoax radar had been activated. I always have a little sizzle of hoax when a contributor is new. I have to admit that this post reminded me of one presenting a similar problem. The big difference was in the writing style. The earlier post was broadly agrammatical and colloquial while this was was well written.

However, I am not writing about these specific threads but about hoaxes in general.

What motivates the telling of lies on the internet?

Is the person simply writing and writing through a forum rather than a diary? i ask this first because, to a large extent, that is what I do. I present no falsehoods but I do write mainly to "keep in fighting trim." I have never been able to write freely when journaling.

Is the person like a teenager making prank calls? There is a difference between writing to keep in fighting trim and pranking. A prank caller takes delight in fooling people . . . a very young prank caller may like being accepted as an adult . . . so, an online hoax artist may delight in fooling or may be a young person eager for what s/he perceives as adulthood.

Is the person just a chronic liar? Again, that is different from a prankster. We have all known at least one chronic liar in our lives. Might some people use a forum as an escape valve, that is, do they recognize they have a need to lie and do they lie under the cover of a fake name on the internet as a means of keeping their day-to-day lives on the straight and narrow?

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,575 • Replies: 12
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:02 am
@plainoldme,
How would you like to receive a large share of 50 million MAerican dollars that my uncle Swazi has salted away in a safe place in Botswana. I only need about 5L for plane fare and I will send to 20% of the cache. I swear Imshalla
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:06 am
@plainoldme,
Munchausen by Internet
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:14 am
@plainoldme,
I would like to know what and who the hoaxes are.
djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
@Krumple,
this was the post POM was referring to

http://able2know.org/topic/153327-1

lot's of skepticism with the, "i'm cheating and don't know if i should be, does he still love me, do i still love her" type of threads
rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:49 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

this was the post POM was referring to

http://able2know.org/topic/153327-1

lot's of skepticism with the, "i'm cheating and don't know if i should be, does he still love me, do i still love her" type of threads

I always assume that most of the relationship threads are bogus. Especially if they claim to be a hot young girl asking how to achieve an orgasm. I figure all of those are actually this guy:
http://www.houseoffusion.com/users/images/fat_guy.jpg

panzade

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:43 am
@djjd62,
I didn't get the radar goin off for hoax on mcnugget's thread but then I approach these as: My input is heartfelt.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:44 am
@rosborne979,
hey! that's nickfun!
plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:14 pm
@rosborne979,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:14 pm
@panzade,
That's funny!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:02 pm
@djjd62,
Aha, that is very similar to another recent post... that I didn't now search for. I see POM's connecting the dots.
I do suppose some people make up stories of these sorts for various reasons.. once in a while. Most of us, most of the time, answer as if it were real, even if we have doubts, because the answers may help some other person reading the thread.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:01 am
SO, nobody wants 5 million dollars?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm
@farmerman,
We all do.
0 Replies