Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:12 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Correct. Good catch, Robert!
Ah, unattributed plagiarism.
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:15 am
@ughaibu,
For a good line, yes. Not for the substance of my intellectual argument.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:16 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
For a good line, yes. Not for the core of my intellectual argument.
Okay, then you have no complaint against that guy merely on account of unattributed plagiarism.
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:25 am
@ughaibu,
Maybe if the topic of this conversation was David Letterman I wouldn't. But it isn't; it's Utilitarianism. I stole a good put-down unrelated to the topic of the thread. He stole what he passed off as both his knowledge of the topic and his opinion about the topic. That's my complaint about Steve's tactics. It is neither invalidated nor discredited by my theft of Letterman's line.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:30 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
He stole what he passed off as both his knowledge of the topic and his opinion about the topic. That's my complaint about Steve's tactics.
He quoted an entry from Wikipedia, if my memory is correct, but failed to attribute the quote, what are you claiming was false in that quoted piece?
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:38 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Yet another problem with utilitarianism is that it's a form of consequentialism and therefore suffers from the same flaw that all forms of consequentialism do, namely that it's "not the thought that counts". This is clearly false because intentions matter more than consequences.

I strongly disagree. I grew up in West Germany during the 1970s and 80s---a society where I met a good number of old Nazis. I also met a good number of East German communists there---real communists, not the scarecrows American conservatives like to set up. Neither of them struck me as evil people. On the test that "it's the thought that counts", then, Nazis and the Commies were misinformed, closed-minded, intellectually uncurious, but not evil.

To me, this shows that "it's the thought that counts" is the wrong test. Both ideologies are evil. And the reason they're evil is their consequences: They killed millions of innocent people without doing any good.
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:39 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Thomas wrote:
He stole what he passed off as both his knowledge of the topic and his opinion about the topic. That's my complaint about Steve's tactics.
He quoted an entry from Wikipedia, if my memory is correct, but failed to attribute the quote, what are you claiming was false in that quoted piece?

Your memory is incorrect, and it's not my job to correct it. Do your own reading.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:40 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:
Yet another problem with utilitarianism is that it's a form of consequentialism and therefore suffers from the same flaw that all forms of consequentialism do, namely that it's "not the thought that counts". This is clearly false because intentions matter more than consequences.

I strongly disagree. I grew up in West Germany during the 1970s and 80s---a society where I met a good number of old Nazis. I also met a good number of East German communists there---real communists, not the scarecrows American conservatives like to set up. Neither of them struck me as evil people. On the test that "it's the thought that counts", then, Nazis and the Commies were misinformed, closed-minded, intellectually uncurious, but not evil.

To me, this shows that "it's the thought that counts" is the wrong test. Both ideologies are evil. And the reason they're evil is their consequences: They killed millions of innocent people without doing any good.
Can you put this into some kind of structured argument, otherwise it reads like opinion.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:44 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Your memory is incorrect, and it's not my job to correct it.
That's true, and I'm not interested enough to wade through the previous posts. No doubt, if he himself is sufficiently interested, he'll point out that your complaint about unattributed plagiarism was further evasion on your part. Come to think of it, didn't he point that out already?
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:07 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
If you think only consequences matter then you think it's moral to aim at a person's head and shoot at it in the event that the shot misses and hits the hungry mountain lion that was about to pounce on him or her thereby accidentally saving their life.

You have to evaluate a choice by its expected consequences at the time the choice is made. When you choose to aim at a person's head and pull the trigger, the most likely outcome is that you kill an innocent person. Much less probably, you miss and hit a tree, a lawn, or perhaps somebody's car. Your chances that a failed shot does any good by hitting a target that ought to be hit are negligible. Your act of pulling the trigger has to be evaluated in terms of all possible outcomes, weighed by their probability.

Night Ripper wrote:
I think virtue ethics is much more sensible. It allows for good outcomes to come from bad intentions and vice versa and it still reflects our moral intuitions.

I don't see how the virtue ethics you propose aren't vulnerable to the same scenario you just tested Utilitarianism with. Say Bruce Willis shoots at a child abductor, misses, and kills the child instead. As I understand your suggestion, the judge should just let him walk away because his character was noble, he was virtuous, and he intended to do the right thing.

Night Ripper wrote:
Consequences matter but only the expected consequences, not what actually happens.

... which is exactly what Utilitarianism says. "By the principle of utility is meant that principle which approves or disapproves of every action whatsoever. according to the tendency it appears to have to augment or diminish the happiness of the party whose interest is in question:" (Bentham: Principles of Morals and Legislation, Chapter 1. The Utilitarian philosophers who came after Bentham used more or less the same definition.)

Night Ripper wrote:
If I give you a free meal out of the goodness of my heart and that free meal gives you food poisoning and kills you, that wasn't an immoral act

I kind of disagree with that. You have no moral obligation to give out free meals. But if give them out, you do have a moral responsibility to ensure they're edible.
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:08 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:
Can you put this into some kind of structured argument, otherwise it reads like opinion.

I sure hope it does, because it is an opinion.

ughaibu wrote:
That's true, and I'm not interested enough to wade through the previous posts. No doubt, if he himself is sufficiently interested, he'll point out that your complaint about unattributed plagiarism was further evasion on your part. Come to think of it, didn't he point that out already?

You'll have to ask him. And that concludes my conversation with you, unless you have something to say about the topic of the thread.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:12 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
I sure hope it does, because it is an opinion.
Well, that is why we so called refugees are unimpressed with our new home. Philosophy is not about opinion.
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:15 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:
Well, that is why we so called refugees are unimpressed with our new home.

I have no duty to impress you. If you don't like it here, feel free to leave.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:19 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I have no duty to impress you. If you don't like it here, feel free to leave.
1) my impression of your intellectual capabilities is unfavourable to you
2) I am well aware of the locations of the fora on which I can post
3) do you have any intention of addressing the various issues that you have consistently avoided?
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:35 am
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Yet another problem with utilitarianism is that it's a form of consequentialism and therefore suffers from the same flaw that all forms of consequentialism do, namely that it's "not the thought that counts". This is clearly false because intentions matter more than consequences. If you think only consequences matter then you think it's moral to aim at a person's head and shoot at it in the event that the shot misses and hits the hungry mountain lion that was about to pounce on him or her thereby accidentally saving their life.

I believe that a person who acts in a way that he thinks will cause the most moral outcome is a good person. Obviously, the guy who is shooting the gun isn't intending to create happiness. So while his action had a moral outcome, he is still an immoral person.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:58 pm
@ughaibu,
Plagiarizing something and asking if it is true doesn't contribute much to the conversation other than showing the person doing so doesn't understand the topic. There really isn't much there to discuss since any dispute with the piece would go on deaf ears since the person that plagiarized wouldn't be able to defend the ideas in a meaningful way.

As I already pointed out, the source of one of the quotes in that piece stated that Bentham saw the entire human race as the basis to judge a majority. This would undermine the silly examples presented here since those samples restrict to small communities the pleasure/pain calculation.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:05 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
You have to evaluate a choice by its expected consequences at the time the choice is made. When you choose to aim at a person's head and pull the trigger, the most likely outcome is that you kill an innocent person. Much less probably, you miss and hit a tree, a lawn, or perhaps somebody's car. Your chances that a failed shot does any good by hitting a target that ought to be hit are negligible. Your act of pulling the trigger has to be evaluated in terms of all possible outcomes, weighed by their probability.

I agree with you but unfortunately that's virtue ethics not utilitarianism. Since you agree that, even though I shot and killed a mountain lion thereby saving your life, it wasn't my intention to do so, therefore it wasn't a moral act.

However, that goes DIRECTLY AGAINST UTILITARIANISM since utilitarianism says that it's the consequences that matter, namely that whatever produces the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest number of people is the moral act, it doesn't matter what you intended to do or not as far as utilitarianism goes.

Thomas wrote:
Say Bruce Willis shoots at a child abductor, misses, and kills the child instead. As I understand your suggestion, the judge should just let him walk away because his character was noble, he was virtuous, and he intended to do the right thing.

Replace the words "Bruce Willis" with the words "competent police sniper" then I agree. Bruce Willis can't intend to do the right thing since he's not an expert marksman. Also, that's what happens when a police sniper misses.
parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
However, that goes DIRECTLY AGAINST UTILITARIANISM since utilitarianism says that it's the consequences that matter, namely that whatever produces the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest number of people is the moral act, it doesn't matter what you intended to do or not as far as utilitarianism goes.

So, are you arguing that utilitarianism doesn't consider in it's calculation how future people will act based on success/failure of an act?
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

So, are you arguing that utilitarianism doesn't consider in it's calculation how future people will act based on success/failure of an act?

No, again you're trying to argue against the specifics of the situation rather than the principles. Either you think it's the thought that counts behind an act or it's not. If you think it's the thought that counts then you disagree with utilitarianism. Read up on the subject, utilitarianism is a form of consequentialism. The consequences are what are claimed to matter, not intentions.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:46 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:
Well, that is why we so called refugees are unimpressed with our new home..

That's funny, I haven't seen anything in this thread to make me impressed with you so-called refugees.
0 Replies