The Problem With Utilitarianism

parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:02 pm
@Night Ripper,
I am not arguing the specifics at all. I am arguing the theory. Does Bentham say we should consider how future people will act based on an act?

As for your argument that "intention" plays no part in utilitarianism can you explain why Bentham's chapters on "intentionality" and "motive" have no bearing on the act even though he states they do.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:06 pm
@Night Ripper,
Democracy is the closest to Utilitarianism as it is a majority rule system. The utility, happiness, usefullness is made real by the vote factor. Would you prefer another system like monarchy, anarchy, communist, any kind of dictatorship? In a democracy everyone shows their preferences but the majority determines the outcome. The reality is that a system cannot satisfy every single person. The system seeks the common factors and goes to satisfy those needs. It is the most efficient way.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
I agree with you but unfortunately that's virtue ethics not utilitarianism. Since you agree that, even though I shot and killed a mountain lion thereby saving your life, it wasn't my intention to do so, therefore it wasn't a moral act.

I agree with you that it wasn't a moral act. I don't agree with your reasoning for that conclusion. My reasoning is that your act isn't moral because its statistically expected consequences, ex ante, increase suffering and decrease happiness. It's irrelevant if, ex ante, you get lucky on a happiness-increasing statistical outlier.

Night Ripper wrote:
Replace the words "Bruce Willis" with the words "competent police sniper" then I agree.

Fair enough. Let's make him a "competent police sniper". And just to make sure we're on the same page: when you say "I agree" you agree that there should be some kind of consequences for the sniper. Maybe not criminal charges, but perhaps a reprimand of some sort, or a promotion delayed or denied, or things of that nature.
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:47 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
No, again you're trying to argue against the specifics of the situation rather than the principles.

Very well, but let's at least be specific about the principles. Here is how the two seminal texts on Utilitarianism define its underlying principle.

Jeremy Bentham: Principles of Morals and Legislation (1785):
Quote:
By the principle of utility is meant that principle which approves or disapproves of every action whatsoever. according to the tendency it appears to have to augment or diminish the happiness of the party whose interest is in question [...] if that party be the community in general, then the happiness of the community: if a particular individual, then the happiness of that individual. [...] The community is a fictitious body, composed of the individual persons who are considered as constituting as it were its members. The interest of the community then is, what is it? — the sum of the interests of the several members who compose it.

John Stuart Mill: Utilitarianism (1863)
Quote:
Utility, or the Greatest Happiness Principle, holds that actions are right in proportion as they tend to promote happiness, wrong as they tend to produce the reverse of happiness. By happiness is intended pleasure, and the absence of pain; by unhappiness, pain, and the privation of pleasure.

Notice how both these definitions evaluate the act in question ex ante---before you commit it. Notice, also, their usage of the words tends and tendency. The statistical tendency is that when you shoot at somebody, you'll hit him. You may get lucky on a statistical outlier, but that doesn't affect the morality of your act under Bentham's and Mill's principle of utility.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:07 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
My reasoning is that your act isn't moral because its statistically expected consequences, ex ante, increase suffering and decrease happiness.

So, you're saying that it's not the actual consequences but the expected consequences that count? In other words, it's not the outcome that determines if an act was moral but rather the intentions? That's virtue ethics not consequentialism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_ethics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism

Thomas wrote:
And just to make sure we're on the same page: when you say "I agree" you agree that there should be some kind of consequences for the sniper.

No, because that's not what you asked. You asked "As I understand your suggestion, the judge should just let him walk away because his character was noble, he was virtuous, and he intended to do the right thing." and that's what I agree to. If an inquiry clears the sniper of any negligence and malfeasance then we can conclude that the sniper did his job to the best of his ability. He intended to do something moral and therefore there should be no punishment.
stevecook172001

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:26 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Thomas wrote:
Your memory is incorrect, and it's not my job to correct it.
That's true, and I'm not interested enough to wade through the previous posts. No doubt, if he himself is sufficiently interested, he'll point out that your complaint about unattributed plagiarism was further evasion on your part. Come to think of it, didn't he point that out already?

Yes, indeed I did...

And I also note, as you have, that Thomas has refuted nothing of the veiews of Bentham I posted up.

I have a question for you Thomas. Oh and by the way, this question will almost certainly be a partial or complete recollection of something similar I will have read over the last 24 hours about this grubby little excuse for the harm that is done to people known as utilitarianism. I point this out in order that you don't embarrass yourself further by more obfuscation and evasion.

According to utilitarianism, the morality of an action is not judged by the intention of the actor but by the consequences of the action and, in turn, the consequences of the action are judged to be "good" or "bad" according to a calculation of how many can be said to have "benefited" compared to how many did not. Further, those who do not benefit can even conceivably be harmed and the action can still be seen as moral, overall, as long as the benefit to the majority is great enough to compensate for that harm. In other words, utilitarianism is a form of consequentialism.

With the above in mind, one must logically conclude that this nasty little excuse for a moral code would have, at best, nothing to say about snuff movies since they undoubtedly bring a great deal of pleasure to the people who consume such products and although the harm done to the participants is rather terminal, these participants are extremely small in number when compared to the number of viewers and the great pleasure such products give them.

Indeed, a strict adherence to utilitarian principles would render the condonement of the production of such product as a snuff movie as a moral imperative since it increases the sum of happiness in the wider population, overall.

In fact why not go the whole hog and bring back public hanging or even a re-run of the Roman games.

I believe they were very popular.

parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:46 pm
@Night Ripper,
Well, if you are going to argue that then you are arguing a strawman. The consequences matter but so does the intent leading up to the consequences according to Bentham.
parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:49 pm
@stevecook172001,
Quote:
I will have read over the last 24 hours about this grubby little excuse for the harm that is done to people known as utilitarianism.

Oh please steve.

Bentham quite clearly pointed out that the best way to use utilitarianism in a government is in a democracy. If you bothered to read the entire piece you plagiarized you would have seen that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:53 pm
@stevecook172001,
Quote:
Indeed, a strict adherence to utilitarian principles would render the condonement of the production of such product as a snuff movie as a moral imperative since it increases the sum of happiness in the wider population, overall.

What utter nonsense steve...
Read Bentham for *** sake.

Let me quote from Bentham.

An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation
Chapter XII
OF THE CONSEQUENCES OF A MISCHIEVOUS ACT

Quote:
XI. In whichever way then a past offense tends to pave the way for the commission of a future offence, whether by suggesting the idea of committing it, or by adding to the strength of the temptation, in both cases it may be said to operate by the force or influence of example.

So.. a snuff film would be immoral because it would lead to more of them.

You really don't know what you are talking about Steve. What did you do? Read the first sentence of Wikipedia and then decide you knew everything?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:54 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Well, if you are going to argue that then you are arguing a strawman. The consequences matter but so does the intent leading up to the consequences according to Bentham.

Oh really? Let's see if the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy backs you up.

Quote:
Classic utilitarianism is consequentialist as opposed to deontological because of what it denies. It denies that moral rightness depends directly on anything other than consequences, such as whether the agent promised in the past to do the act now.

Source: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consequentialism/

No, it doesn't back you up. If you think intentions matter, welcome to the club, but not the utilitarianism club.
parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Consequentialism, as its name suggests, is the view that normative properties depend only on consequences. This general approach can be applied at different levels to different normative properties of different kinds of things, but the most prominent example is consequentialism about the moral rightness of acts, which holds that whether an act is morally right depends only on the consequences of that act or of something related to that act, such as the motive behind the act or a general rule requiring acts of the same kind.

Thank you for not reading the entire piece Night Ripper.

The motive (intent) is related to the act and is judged with the consequences.

But if you want to argue that we are dealing with Classic Utilitarianism and you want to use this site as a source then you have to keep this in mind.

Quote:
Classic utilitarianism seems to require that agents calculate all consequences of each act for every person for all time.

So.. your source of the meaning of classic utilitarianism would agree with Thomas that your examples are garbage. You didn't calculate the consequences for every person for all time.
parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:15 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
One indirect version of consequentialism is motive consequentialism, which claims that the moral qualities of an act depend on the consequences of the motive of that act

You aren't helping yourself here Night...
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:23 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
Consequentialism, as its name suggests, is the view that normative properties depend only on consequences. This general approach can be applied at different levels to different normative properties of different kinds of things, but the most prominent example is consequentialism about the moral rightness of acts, which holds that whether an act is morally right depends only on the consequences of that act or of something related to that act, such as the motive behind the act or a general rule requiring acts of the same kind.

Thank you for not reading the entire piece Night Ripper.

I read it but I just don't accept the distinction between "actual consequences" and "intended consequences". I think that "actual consequences" are the "consequences", plain and simple, and any talk of "intended consequences" is merely talk of intentions. Subjective consequentialism is completely disconnected from objective reality. It's misleading if not dishonest to say that something completely disconnected from objective reality is somehow consequential. I think this retreat from "ex post" to "ex ante" is an admission of defeat for consequentialism.
parados

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:25 pm
@Night Ripper,
That is an interesting argument. If you think it is a retreat then who do you think founded utilitarianism?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:30 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
My reasoning is that your act isn't moral because its statistically expected consequences, ex ante, increase suffering and decrease happiness. It's irrelevant if, ex ante, you get lucky on a happiness-increasing statistical outlier.

In other words, it's not the actual outcome but the intended outcome. I think this is defeat for you. Do you remember why I started this thread? In the "The Watchmen Dilemma" thread it was suggested that "results are what matter". It's all about the utility. If killing 20 million people saves 6.7 billion then good! It's the results that matter, not some "pretentious" notion of virtue, honor, justice or fairness.

Now you're going back on your word. It's no longer "results that matter" but it's the intended results or the expected results. That's all I need you to acknowledge.
Thomas

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:30 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
In other words, it's not the actual outcome but the intended outcome.

The outcome needn't be intended as long as it's predictable. If you adopt a puppy because you feel sorry for the puppy, you're acting on your tender-hearted character. If you adopt a puppy get laid by a girl who likes dogs, your character may well be that of an opportunistic prick. But It's all the same to the puppy, and so it's all the same morally---to me as a Utilitarian, anyway.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:42 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
The outcome needn't be intended as long as it's predictable. If you adopt a puppy because you feel sorry for the puppy, you're acting on your tender-hearted character. If you adopt a puppy get laid by a girl who likes dogs, your character may well be that of an opportunistic prick.

In both cases you're intending to adopt a puppy. How is that supposed to be a difference in intended outcome and actual outcome?

The problem you're facing is, as soon as you jumped ship from the actual consequences to the intended consequences you are now taking up the same argument I am. You are saying that moral actions are those done with good intentions. We simply disagree as to what counts as good intent. You think it's about utility. I think it's about virtue. You're essentially agreeing with me on the main point though. It's not the results. It's the thought that counts.
Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:52 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
In both cases you're intending to adopt a puppy. How is that supposed to be a difference in intended outcome and actual outcome?

It isn't. But to a virtue ethicist, according to your Wikipedia entry, it's not about the outcome; it's about your character. The two scenarios I suggested differ in the way they reflect on your character: When you adopt a puppy out of compassion for the puppy, your character differs from a character who adopts a puppy out of horniness, knowing that puppies attract women.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:57 am
@Thomas,
Like I said, the problem you're facing is, as soon as you jumped ship from the actual consequences to the intended consequences you are now taking up the same argument I am. You are saying that moral actions are those done with good intentions. We simply disagree as to what counts as good intent. You think it's about utility. I think it's about virtue. You're essentially agreeing with me on the main point though. It's not the results. It's the thought that counts.
Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:03 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Like I said, the problem you're facing is, as soon as you jumped ship from the actual consequences to the intended consequences you are now taking up the same argument I am.

I didn't jump ship to the intended consequences. I explained to you the agend does not have to intend the consequences he's likely to bring about. He doesn't even have to know or care about them What counts is the complete bundle of possible actual consequences, weighed by their statistical probability at the time he acts.