ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
But why would that get by the do not call list?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:37 pm

The list is a legal prohibition.
It doesnot render annoying calls IMPOSSIBLE.

Rongful callers O u $$.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:37 pm
@ossobuco,
I get it, Roger, that I may have signed up for some damned thing I don't know, which I take as the answer - but question the procedure.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:56 am
@dadpad,
I really ignore them - I don't pick up the phone, however, some are still relentless and keep calling. I don't know if ignore helps to keep the number of calls down.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:13 pm
@Linkat,
Some people have the caller id. himself
and then bill his boss for the call.

I think that the prohibitory statute designates some amount of cash
as being forfeit to a complaining called person.

Maybe $100 or possibly $150, if I remember.

David
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:25 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I too am on the "do not call" list. Lately, nonetheless, I have been getting spam calls.

It used to be that you had to renew your listing on the do not call list every couple of years. I don't know if this is still the case.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 02:35 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Do_Not_Call_Registry

Exceptions to the do-not-call rule
Known exceptions

Placing one's number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most, but not all, unsolicited calls. The following are exceptions granted by existing laws and regulations.

* The registry only applies to residential lines, not to business lines.[4]
* A person may still receive calls from political organizations.
o The organization Citizens for Civil Discourse has lobbied Congress to close this loophole by developing a National Political Do Not Call Registry where voters can register their phone numbers and ask politicians to take the "Do Not Contact Pledge". Its database is not backed by the force of law and as of November 2008, only 3 politicians running for office signed the pledge.[5]
* A person may still receive calls from charities.
* A person may still receive calls from those conducting surveys.
* A person may still receive calls from companies with which he or she has an existing business relationship for up to 18 months after his or her last purchase, payment, or delivery from it, unless person specifically asks the company not to call again.
* A person may still receive calls from a company up to 31 days[6] after submitting an application or inquiry to that company, unless the company is specifically asked not to call.
* A person may still receive calls from bill collectors (either primary creditors or collection agencies). These callers are, however, regulated by other laws, such as those limiting them to calling during "reasonable hours." Some creditors may not call debtors who file for bankruptcy protection.

Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007

On February 15, 2008, U.S President George W. Bush signed into law the H.R Bill 3541: Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007. Two major changes were enacted through this law:

* While originally required to renew their phone numbers every five years, consumers need now only register once to maintain their phone numbers on the Do Not Call Registry.
* The frequency with which the FTC must purge the registry of disconnected and reassigned numbers has also been increased to several times a month. However, the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act prohibits removing numbers from the do-not-call registry unless the number is invalid, disconnected, or reassigned; or the individual to whom the number is assigned so requests.[11]

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Aha! Thanks for researching that, Butrflynet.
0 Replies