Does the liguistic copula have more than a gestural meaning?

G-Thomson

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:49 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
The point is, as another member of your former group pointed out, you appear to be here merely to attempt to derail threads.

He is here because our lovely little forum was absorbed by this place.
He is here to take part in your thread.
I've never heard anyone say, "The weather is wet." It just doesn't sound logical.
I've heard people say, "The dog is brown."
I'm not well versed in the fancy words you are using in this thread, but you just seem to be trying to outdo each other in the usage of fancy words.
And that will get you no further forward in the quest to find an answer to the question.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:26 am
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson wrote:

I've never heard anyone say, "The weather is wet." It just doesn't sound logical.
I've heard people say, "The dog is brown."
I'm not well versed in the fancy words you are using in this thread, but you just seem to be trying to outdo each other in the usage of fancy words.
And that will get you no further forward in the quest to find an answer to the question.

Do you understand what the unfamiliar phrase "the weather is wet" means, it's logical nature aside? How would you rephrase it? I've heard people say this phrase, and other equally ambiguous phrases as well. For example, "the dog is hungry" and "the dog is getting hungry". I'm talking about related phrases wherein the meaning is similar, but the difference between them seems complicated.

Do you think there is a difference between "the dog is hungry" and "the dog is getting hungry"? Or is one gibberish and the other clear speech? If only one makes sense, why do you think so? How are the words operating in the one sentence to make sense, and how are they failing to operate in the other?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:56 am
@G-Thomson,
"The weather is wet" is standard English to anybody living in the UK.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:05 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
I don't believe that any fluent English speaker would ever say, "The weather is wet" or "The weather is getting wet". It is just not English.

Laughing

I'm beginning to get the picture that you just put up rubbish like this as a hobby!
I hope I'm wrong .

For the most part you aren't wrong, some people just enjoy being contrary
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:13 am
One could say 'the weather is purple' or 'the weather is becoming purple' and the question in the OP would be just as valid. it is not so much a question of popular semantics, its a question about categorical semantics, grammar, and similar usage. Still, "The weather is purple" although not a standard coloquialism like 'the weather is wet' or 'the dog is brown' follows English non standard prototypical categorization rules, melding the metaphors of color = mood and the metaphorical function of weath affecting mood. A native speaker that wasn't trying to be a nitpicker for nitpicking's sake would, likely just think, hhhhhmmmmm that's an odd way for him to refer to dreary weather.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:44 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

What I mean by rubbish is that the sentence "The dog is brown" only tends to occur in ESL primers for foreigners*, or stretching it...to a notice about a missing dog, whereas "the weather is wet" is common usage for native speakers. By common usage, I mean it is used on a daily basis by parents explaining to their children why certain family activities will or won't take place.

The point is, as another member of your former group pointed out, you appear to be here merely to attempt to derail threads.

*As in French Book1 ..... Le chien est brun . La porte est brune....regarding the agreement of adjectives with noun gender in comparison with English

In that case, if "the dog is brown" is a clear example, since it can be used to teach foreigners, and if "the weather is wet" is controversial, then why use the latter rather than the former as an example? Any reason? Will whatever point is to be made (supposing there is a point to be made) not be made as well with the clear example as with the unclear example? And if it can be made only with the unclear example, then what would that show about the point made? But, in any case, I still have no clue what the point to be made is, or (much less so) what the argument is for the point to be made. So, I agree. Let us get on to whatever the point is that is supposed to be made (given there is one). But, I wonder why it cannot be made by using a clear example of English that can be readily understood by any fluent speaker of English.

By the way, if you do think I am derailing the thread, you have only to ignore me, and proceed to make (and I hope argue for) whatever it is you or someone wants to say about the copula. So far, I don't even understand how the term "copula" is being used. It is certainly not being used in any sense with which I am familiar. So, do feel free and go ahead to say whatever you think you mean by saying what you say.
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:54 pm
To be perfectly honest, as a native speaker, I'm having a hard time parsing "the dog is brown". What complete nonsense. The dog is a dog, now that makes sense -- clearly the dog is a dog, as a dog couldn't not be a dog if it were a dog. It is, after all, a dog. But how can an object be a color? A color is an adjective, not a noun, and your sentence is just silly, and clearly will mislead all those new to the English language -- the most consistent language with elegant rules and precisely defined words that rarely see alternate or incorrect use.

fresco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:29 am
@Huxley,
Huxley, the following is not meant as a particular criticism of your post:

There is a breathtaking ignorance of the range of meanings for the words "grammar" and "language" being shown by respondents to this relatively technical thread.

Taking "transformational grammar" for example, the sentence
"The dog is brown" could be interpreted as one "surface" realization of the deep structure "the dog is a brown object". Another surface realization of that deep structure might be the phrase "the brown dog".

But that is merely one angle on the above arguments. We could also explore the field of comparative linguists where the English verb to be maps to different verbs in Spanish (aproximately)ser to be in a particular state, and estar to be actively doing something. It follows that the two OP sentences about "weather" could be associated with these different verbs.

The third point I would make, and for me the most significant one is that as soon as we engage in contrastive analysis we are taking utterances out of their original context. In other words "grammatical analysis" is an artificial academic pursuit rather than a "natural one". As Chomsky pointed out. children pick up " the grammar of their native language" without active intstruction, and even the latter tends to be about exceptions to rules.
There is even an argument (by Wexler) that it is impossible to adequately teach a second language to a foreigner without "cultural immersion"...but then of course the argument moves to one about "communicative adequacy",

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:15 am
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

To be perfectly honest, as a native speaker, I'm having a hard time parsing "the dog is brown". What complete nonsense. The dog is a dog, now that makes sense -- clearly the dog is a dog, as a dog couldn't not be a dog if it were a dog. It is, after all, a dog. But how can an object be a color? A color is an adjective, not a noun, and your sentence is just silly, and clearly will mislead all those new to the English language -- the most consistent language with elegant rules and precisely defined words that rarely see alternate or incorrect use.

You are confusing two senses of "is". The "is" of predication, and the "is" of identity. The "is" in the sentence, "the dog is brown" is the "is" of predication. The predicate "brown" is predicated of the subject, "dog". In class logic, this would be analyzed as: the class of dogs is included within the class of brown things. On the other hand, consider the sentence, "the dog is my pet". Here the "is" is the "is" of identity (and not of predication as in the former example). "The dog is my pet" states that the dog is identical with my pet. That the dog and my pet are one and the same thing. So that, "the dog" and "my pet" denote the very same object.

It is important to be aware of, and to distinguish between these two different senses of "is": the predicative sense, and the identity sense. Otherwise you will make the mistake of thinking that when I say, for instance, that butter is yellow, I will be saying that butter is the same thing as yellow (which is nonsense) instead of what I am actually saying which is that butter is one of the things that are yellow.

There is yet a third sense of "is", the "is" of existence (which is not much used). An example of this third sense of "is" would be, "Barack Obama is". Which is to say, Barack Obama exists.

These three sense of "is": the "is" of predication; the "is" of identity; and the "is" of existence, should be strictly distinguished and not confused.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:59 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Huxley, the following is not meant as a particular criticism of your post:

There is a breathtaking ignorance of the range of meanings for the words "grammar" and "language" being shown by respondents to this relatively technical thread.

Taking "transformational grammar" for example, the sentence
"The dog is brown" could be interpreted as one "surface" realization of the deep structure "the dog is a brown object". Another surface realization of that deep structure might be the phrase "the brown dog".

But that is merely one angle on the above arguments. We could also explore the field of comparative linguists where the English verb to be maps to different verbs in Spanish (aproximately)ser to be in a particular state, and estar to be actively doing something. It follows that the two OP sentences about "weather" could be associated with these different verbs.

The third point I would make, and for me the most significant one is that as soon as we engage in contrastive analysis we are taking utterances out of their original context. In other words "grammatical analysis" is an artificial academic pursuit rather than a "natural one". As Chomsky pointed out. children pick up " the grammar of their native language" without active intstruction, and even the latter tends to be about exceptions to rules.
There is even an argument (by Wexler) that it is impossible to adequately teach a second language to a foreigner without "cultural immersion"...but then of course the argument moves to one about "communicative adequacy",

Can I get an Amen!?!
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:04 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

You are confusing two senses of "is". The "is" of predication, and the "is" of identity. The "is" in the sentence, "the dog is brown" is the "is" of predication. The predicate "brown" is predicated of the subject, "dog". In class logic, this would be analyzed as: the class of dogs is included within the class of brown things. On the other hand, consider the sentence, "the dog is my pet". Here the "is" is the "is" of identity (and not of predication as in the former example). "The dog is my pet" states that the dog is identical with my pet. That the dog and my pet are one and the same thing. So that, "the dog" and "my pet" denote the very same object.

It is important to be aware of, and to distinguish between these two different senses of "is": the predicative sense, and the identity sense. Otherwise you will make the mistake of thinking that when I say, for instance, that butter is yellow, I will be saying that butter is the same thing as yellow (which is nonsense) instead of what I am actually saying which is that butter is one of the things that are yellow.

There is yet a third sense of "is", the "is" of existence (which is not much used). An example of this third sense of "is" would be, "Barack Obama is". Which is to say, Barack Obama exists.

These three sense of "is": the "is" of predication; the "is" of identity; and the "is" of existence, should be strictly distinguished and not confused.

And yet all of these (is's) are categorized as states of being which is what a copula infers, which is what the thread is about.
fresco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:30 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
And yet all of these (is's) are categorized as states of being which is what a copula infers, which is what the thread is about.

Precisely ! And "states of being" are never independent of "states of the observer", hence the semantic difference between "is" and "is becoming" relative to the observer's dynamic reference frame.
(And irrespective of this contextual analysis, I omitted to say that "is" and"is becoming" imply different "deep structures" from the point of view of transformational grammar, i.e they are not "merely gestural").
kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 11:31 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Whatever a "state of being is", fine. So what? And what is the "yet" for?
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 11:33 am
@kennethamy,
to make you ask silly questions
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:58 pm
Hi all,

The weather here is dry and sunny! Anything wrong with this statement and, if so, Why?

Kind regards.
Mark...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Precisely ! And "states of being" are never independent of "states of the observer"

That is false. There need be no observer for the Moon to exist. We know that because we know that the Moon existed for many millions of years before any observer existed. If you do not believe that is true, then you can look it up.
fresco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:14 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
That is false. There need be no observer for the Moon to exist. We know that because we know that the Moon existed for many millions of years before any observer existed. If you do not believe that is true, then you can look it up.

Shocked
Right ! I'm off to look it up in the "Readers Digest Encyclopedia for the Philosophically Impaired".
kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:21 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Shocked
Right ! I'm off to look it up in the "Readers Digest Encyclopedia for the Philosophically Impaired".

Ah. But have you an answer to the argument that since we know that the existence of the Moon antedates the existence of any observers, it follows that the existence of the Moon does not depend on its being observed? In other words, have you an objection to this argument other than that the conclusion distresses you? Try a little philosophy for a change. You might even like it.
fresco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:30 pm
@kennethamy,
You will find my argument developed extensively if you investigate my eight years of posts, but as a naive realist you are unlikely to understand it. Suffice to say that if your "knowledge" of ontology is anything like your "knowledge" of linguistics the chances of such understanding do not look promising.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

fresco wrote:

Quote:

Precisely ! And "states of being" are never independent of "states of the observer"

Come on Ken, we are talking about language, in order for someone to say something descriptive there is necessarily an observer, even if s/he is simply observing her own imagination. You can't tell me a hard nosed materialist like yourself thinks that something can be said without an observer?