What do you think of the World Naked Bike Ride organization?

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:00 pm
The following lower excerpt is from Wikipedia. It provides a brief description of this organization.

I would provide links to that page (as well to the WNBR site), but I don't want to potentially offend anyone, due to some nude photos on both sites. A search will easily get you there, if you really want more details.

I wanted to discuss the aims and methods of this group with anyone who is interested.

I find it hard to take this group seriously, for starters. It's method of getting their message across seems over-the-top. It's very much an attention-seeking way to make sure that they get media coverage.

Is this really a good way to get folks out of their cars and on bicycles or some kind of public transit?

We all already know that oil is "bad", and that other methods of fuel should be explored. Hybrid and electric cars are a good start. Public appetite for these alternatives seem to be growing.

What about car manufacturers? Have they not been dragging their feet on this issue for many decades? Alternatives to using oil and gasoline for cars is nothing new.

As for this group, I don't see how they are helping solve this problem. It seems too showy and superficial.

What do you think?

---------------------------------

World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) is an international clothing-optional bike ride in which participants plan, meet and ride together en masse on human-powered transport (the vast majority on bicycles, and fewer on skateboards, rollerblades, roller skates) to "protest oil dependency and celebrate the power and individuality of our bodies and they are supporting local political parties such as the Work Less Party".

The dress code motto is "Bare As You Dare". Full and partial (especially topfree) nudity is encouraged, but not mandatory, on all rides. Requiring partial cover-up is strictly forbidden and is a distinguishing feature of WNBR versus other cycling events.

Creative expression is also encouraged to create a fun and immersive atmosphere during the ride, to capture the attention and imagination of passers-by and the media, and to make the experience more personalized and fulfilling for the riders. Body art (such as body painting) are common forms of creative expression, as well as costumes, art bikes, portable sound reinforcement systems (such as public address systems/bullhorns, boomboxes) and musical instruments, as well as other types of noisemakers.

Pre-ride parties for WNBR have become events unto themselves featuring musical bands, DJs, bodypainting, temporary structures/installation art, political tabling, and catering. In addition to simply being able to ride clothes-free on community streets, some rides have established precedent by having body-painting parties, often involving numbers of naked riders and artists, in high-visibility municipal parks.

This distinctive form of Critical Mass, occasionally called Critical Ass, is often described or categorized as a form of political protest, street theatre, party-on-wheels, streaking, public nudity and clothing-optional recreation and thus attracts a wide-range of participants.

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:03 pm
One word: chafing.
Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:06 pm
@jespah,
You beat me to it Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:52 pm
Laughing Ok, thanks, I guess.

Is anybody familar with the WNBR and have an opinion?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:04 pm
Nude Power to the People. I never heard of this before. If they can get some positive results, I will be all for them.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
The women who choose the pogo stick as their method of human-powered transportation are the most popular, I imagine.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:19 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
What do you think of the World Naked Bike Ride organization?

I think I have a new question to ask before I buy a used bike.

Underwear has a purpose in life. That purpose is to keep your butthole from touching things it shouldn't.
Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:23 pm
Sounds like fun. I'm not really sure why it is that many people take such offense at the form of the human body, but maybe that's just me...
Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:24 pm
@DrewDad,
Hmmmmmm....disposable seat covers for nekkid bike-riders! HSN, here I come! Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:26 pm
@DrewDad,
mebbe they wear a plug...
Mame

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Ewwwwww....
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
... I never heard of this before. If they can get some positive results, I will be all for them.

I guess that's what I'm questioning, Edgar. I can't really see that anything has changed.

Pangloss wrote:

Sounds like fun. I'm not really sure why it is that many people take such offense at the form of the human body, but maybe that's just me...

I'm not offended by nudeness, it's just that I suspect their way of going about getting their message out is all just about attention-seeking.

And, yes, I think it's just merely all about fun, and making a spectacle of themselves. Certainly not to be taken seriously.
Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:38 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

I'm not offended by nudeness, it's just that I suspect their way of going about getting their message out is all just about attention-seeking.

And, yes, I think it's just merely all about fun, and making a spectacle of themselves. Certainly not to be taken seriously.

Of course it is. And attention-seeking works. It's all fine by me; if people don't wan't to be bothered by it, they don't need to watch.
Pemerson

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:41 pm
I can see skate boarding. At least people could pose.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:53 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
jespah wrote:

One word: chafing.
[/quotes]
Seven words: Catching yer junk in the chain...Owe!!!
Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:01 pm
@Fido,
Yea, this does seem like a bit of a hazardous activity. I wouldn't want to imagine, much less view or be a part of, say, a 7-bike collision and pileup. Bloodied, chewed up organs splayed out on the pavement,etc.

And this is the big problem for me with biking or taking a moped or something instead of a real car; safety. It makes sense financially and perhaps environmentally, but is it worth the risk of death to ride a bike on public streets on a daily basis? Not with the drivers I've seen out there...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:05 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:

Maybe you should go to the Y and check out the human body... When you see some belly hanging lower than its owners butt you get the sense that some people see no limit to glutony... I can see being a couch potato; but what about being a couch potato farm wagon???

I don't care who you are; but if you take care of what you got you will be half assed fit... I was over weight, felt like crud, was depressed, taking the gravey train to the funeral parlor... Essentially I was strong, and so losing the weight was not hard, nor dangerous... I just did it, and got on with my life a whole lot fitter than before...

I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but its there for the taking, and to subject others to your gross appearance is as bad as swearing at them or insulting them... I know one guy, a compullsive gambler, and I have talked to him on occasion... He complains about his joints, bone on bone... Man, if you want to help your joints, lose about fifty points and your self pity... You're old... You are supposed to hurt, and that is your test of wills... But why get mad at the winners for losing a game no one wins??? That is life... Life is pain, and everything else too if you have the will to go after it... Its going to hurt... And it will feel better when it stops hurting...

He does not want to change... He wants to complain... Complaining is easy...
Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:18 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Maybe you should go to the Y and check out the human body... When you see some belly hanging lower than its owners butt you get the sense that some people see no limit to glutony... I can see being a couch potato; but what about being a couch potato farm wagon???

I'm well aware of the existence of fat and ugly people. I lift weights 5x/week though, and actually my gym is basically only frequented by good-looking, fit people. Yea, I wouldn't want to see some huge person wearing a stomach-less shirt walking around...but it's up to the gym owners whether or not they want to make a rule about that.

In public, if people want to go naked, I don't see the issue. It might be gross to some people, but it's better than making it illegal to display certain parts of your body. Of course there are certain situations where hygiene is a concern; you don't want naked folks riding the public bus, or browsing the fresh produce section at the grocery store (though this is a private bus.' concern). If they want to walk or ride a bike naked...who cares?
sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:31 pm

The original video was what came to mind but I had to have a youtube account to get the uncensored version.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:48 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:

Reyn wrote:

Of course it is. And attention-seeking works. It's all fine by me; if people don't wan't to be bothered by it, they don't need to watch.

The point of this thread, that I was trying to make, was are they really making any difference by their methods? I don't think so myself. It isn't a matter of watching, or not watching.

Have you noticed a lot of people parking their cars?

1. Forums
  2. » What do you think of the World Naked Bike Ride organization?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 03:21:42