What do you think of the World Naked Bike Ride organization?

Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:51 pm
@Reyn,
Well, they get people talking about it. That's something.
Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:53 pm
@Pangloss,
Which will lead to.....?
BritishNaturism

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:05 pm
@Pangloss: The whole point of the nakedness in the World Naked Bike Ride is to emphasise the vulnerability of cyclists on our busy roads...

@Others: Because we live in a society with hang-ups about their own bodies, the nakedness also works to draw attention to the protest - what is the point of a protest that doesn't draw attention to itself?

And yes, I can confirm that it is fun and very liberating. Talking to the other participants, even those who were hesitant about stripping off completely before they started, had changed their minds by the end of the ride and were determined to do it again.

People come in all shapes and sizes. Naturism and this kind of event reminds us that we do not all look like the super-models, in fact none of us look like them! So it is a great confidence booster for us 'normal' folk. If you are offended by some body types, don't look! There are many things we come across in our everyday lives that we find offensive - different things for different people - but we have no right to not be offended by them; we just have to deal with it and move on. Judging by the reaction of the crowds that line the streets, those who are offended by the nudity on this ride are very much in the minority.

So Reyn, when you say you don't want to link to the WNBR site for fear of offending anyone, why not leave it up to your readers whether or not they 'risk' being offended? We really should be living in a world where simple (non-sexual) nudity is no big deal - but then using nudity at a protest like this would not draw attention would it?
raprap

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:15 pm
I object to the morality of nakednessess---I the good lord had wanted you to go around naked--you'd have been born that way.

Rap
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:27 pm
@BritishNaturism,
BritishNaturism wrote:

@Pangloss: The whole point of the nakedness in the World Naked Bike Ride is to emphasise the vulnerability of cyclists on our busy roads...

Yes. And Critical Mass convinces drivers that we need more bikes on the road.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@Reyn,
Quite obviously, talk leads to interest, which leads to support for the cause.

For instance, after you posted this, I looked up their website and got more info. That's another person made aware of the environmental benefits of biking, and of the need to look out for bikers while driving a car. Get it?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:10 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:

Fido wrote:

Maybe you should go to the Y and check out the human body... When you see some belly hanging lower than its owners butt you get the sense that some people see no limit to glutony... I can see being a couch potato; but what about being a couch potato farm wagon???

I'm well aware of the existence of fat and ugly people. I lift weights 5x/week though, and actually my gym is basically only frequented by good-looking, fit people. Yea, I wouldn't want to see some huge person wearing a stomach-less shirt walking around...but it's up to the gym owners whether or not they want to make a rule about that.

In public, if people want to go naked, I don't see the issue. It might be gross to some people, but it's better than making it illegal to display certain parts of your body. Of course there are certain situations where hygiene is a concern; you don't want naked folks riding the public bus, or browsing the fresh produce section at the grocery store (though this is a private bus.' concern). If they want to walk or ride a bike naked...who cares?

I can see some youth wanting to go naked... I know something about clothes... Even in equatorial Africa, cloth was often traded for slaves, and the reason is obvious... When all you have is your body, young, old, well or ill there is not a lot different between the best and the least... But clothing gives individuality an almost infinite means of self expression... It does not matter that all fashion is off the rack,,, The fact is that different combinations make any statement possible.... Going naked can only say: Look at me, nothing between myself and my dignity...
Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:53 pm
@Fido,
On the contrary, there's much more individuality expressed by your unique, naked body, than by the wearing of some designer's overpriced rag.

A person's body might be the most unique thing about them; no two are alike, even with 'identical' twins. Clothes, thoughts and ideas even, are recycled commonalities that will not uniquely identify any one person as well as does their physical form.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:23 am
Uncensored.

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:54 am
@dadpad,
Thanks, SS and dadpad - love that song.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:13 pm
@BritishNaturism,
BritishNaturism wrote:
So Reyn, when you say you don't want to link to the WNBR site for fear of offending anyone, why not leave it up to your readers whether or not they 'risk' being offended? We really should be living in a world where simple (non-sexual) nudity is no big deal - but then using nudity at a protest like this would not draw attention would it?

Because we have rules on this forum, and I'm not about to break them

I don't think parents of younger children would appreciate such links being posted here.

As I said earlier, it doesn't offend me, but I'm not about to potentially annoy someone else. It's not in my nature to do so.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:02 pm
@Reyn,
Has it occured to you that that might be a potentially annoying attitude?

Just kiddin'
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:07 pm
I think they are exhibitionists.

Their nudity doesn't offend me although I suspect that contrary to the lustful wishes of many men, their numbers include far fewer playmates than house fraus; and the sight of the latter in all their earthly glory may be a cause of sudden blindness for the unlucky.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:28:09