Gold--A Seller's Market?

Roberta

Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
JPB: This bracelet has engravings of initials and dates all over it. Not resellable. I have other pieces that I would try to sell as jewelry. This is something even I can't wear. Aside from the weight of the damned thing, the initials aren't mine!

Thomas, No number is final although the highest is mighty attractive. I got some kinda special code for being a first-time customer. This is the place without the appointment. I asked about the final number. They gotta see the gold, see the bracelet. One guy said, how do we know it's not chocolate. I said, "Cuz if it was chocolate, it'd be gone!"

The numbers are higher than I expected, too, bethie. None is final. But the time is right. I may start sifting through other stuff that's not resellable.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:08 pm
Gold is up another $14+ today pushing the scrap metal value of your bracelet to just over $1700. I hope the trend continues for you through Tuesday.
Roberta

Fri 18 Jun, 2010 01:25 pm
@JPB,
Me too. Thanks for the info and the goos wish, JPB.
0 Replies

Roberta

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
SOLD!

Only one of the places we visited offered the price they quoted on the phone. Everywhere else started lower--way lower.

The lowest price I was offered was $1,200. The best price I was offered was $1,514. I said yes. I was paid in cash. Shocked

This was an education.

Thomas was invaluable. Don't know what I would have done without him. While I was kvetching about walking and the heat, he was figuring out today's price and who knows what else on some little palm device. While I was kvetching about sweating and how long the block was, he was strategizing about which of us should say what. (Not entirely accurate. I contributed too. Just felt like I was kvetching all the time.)

What are the chances that I'd be proofreading a book about the gold market and editing a book about negotiation at the same time?

I'm pleased. I think we did well. I can pay the rent and get some new underwear.

We had lunch at the Second Avenue Deli. My treat. I explained the traditional dishes on the menu. Then Thomas ordered kreplach boiled with sauted onions. I had a corned beef samwich (gave a bit to Thomas) and a knish. I took home stuffed derma for dinner tonight. Then I went to the bank. Really did not want to wander around with $1,500 in my bag.

No regrets. I won't miss the bracelet. I need the money.

DrewDad

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:31 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Then Thomas ordered kreplach boiled with sauted onions. I had a corned beef samwich (gave a bit to Thomas) and a knish. I took home stuffed derma for dinner tonight.

I sounds like you're speaking English, here, but I can't make heads nor tails of it.
Roberta

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:54 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Roberta wrote:
Then Thomas ordered kreplach boiled with sauted onions. I had a corned beef samwich (gave a bit to Thomas) and a knish. I took home stuffed derma for dinner tonight.

I sounds like you're speaking English, here, but I can't make heads nor tails of it.

English, more or less. This is a kosher deli.

Kreplach: "Jewish wontons. Bits of spiced beef wrapped in dough. Usually served in soup. (My grandmother made the best.)
Knish: Mashed potatoes with onion and other spices wrapped in a dough. Two kindsa knishes: round--the dough is light and flaky; square--the dough is thick and chewy.
Stuffeed derma (aka kishka): A kind of sausage without pork. Meat and breading served in intestine (like a sausage) with a thick gravy on top. (My grandmother made the best.)
farmerman

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm
@Roberta,
Wounds like you guysw had a great adventure. Did the dealer have little pinz nes glasses and a green dealers eye shade?

ossobuco

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm
@Roberta,
Great news!
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:02 pm
@DrewDad,
"Kreplach" are "Jewish Wan Tan", as Roberta explained it to me. And that's a very apt description. They're indeed doughy, Wan-Tan-like dumplings with meat in them that you can order fried or steamed.

"Knishes" are dumplings too, but they're flatter, and their dough is made of mashed potatoes. To add flavor to the potatoes, they are filled with multiple vegetables and spices. Some also have meat in them, but I don't think Roberta's did.

Sauteed onions, corned beef, and sammiches---I think you have those in Texas, too.
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:27 pm
@Roberta,
Excellent!
0 Replies

Roberta

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Wounds like you guysw had a great adventure. Did the dealer have little pinz nes glasses and a green dealers eye shade?

The dealer was about 12. He had on a rock tee shirt and one of those fuzzy haircuts.

He gave me $1,514 in CASH. He coulda been wearing a diaper for all I care.

A bit of irony. The first dealer we saw warned us against a particular dealer on my list. Suggested that they would give me the lowest bid. Suggested they were crooks. His was the lowest bid. And the crooks gave me $1,514 in cash.
Rockhead

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:56 pm
@Roberta,
cool.

gonna go work a concert tomorrow and get me another rock t-shirt.

we ain't all bad, ya know...

(fuzzy hair how???)
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:05 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

farmerman wrote:

The dealer was about 12. He had on a rock tee shirt and one of those fuzzy haircuts.

He gave me $1,514 in CASH. He coulda been wearing a diaper for all I care.

A bit of irony. The first dealer we saw warned us against a particular dealer on my list. Suggested that they would give me the lowest bid. Suggested they were crooks. His was the lowest bid. And the crooks gave me $1,514 in cash.

Yay!!!! Hope that makes a dent in the rent!
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:10 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
He gave me $1,514 in CASH.

He wouldn't have done that unless he thought it was worth more.
JPB

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:13 pm
@spendius,
obviously.

I took the spot price of salvage gold around noontime and calculated the value of the gold as $1684. I don't know that they were there at noon, but it would be in that vicinity. 1684-1514=170. It looks like he gave her 90% of the value. Sounds like she got a pretty good deal.
spendius

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@JPB,
I don't dispute that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:54 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Which reminds me ... I kind of owe an apology to Rockhead for lecturing him about business ethics in the diamond district. We definitely met our share of bandids today.
Rockhead

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@Thomas,
s'ok.

verra glad you accompanied miss boida.

you're a good bloke...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:05 pm
@Roberta,
Fantastic - from SOLD through kreplach and knish!

(one of my favourite Noddy memories will always be the waitress in a deli correcting Noddy's run at pronouncing knish - it was a great exchange - I'll have the nish. Knish, honey, knish. Bitta 'tude on both sides by the time the knish arrived.)
ossobuco

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, to have been there..
0 Replies