Do Animals Have Souls???

William

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:42 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All,
Do Animals have souls???

Let me know your point of view, I have a special interest in this and would be grateful for any and all replies.
Thank you, all, and journey well.
Mark...

Hello Mark. I don't know? Never was one. Ask an animal. See if you can hear what they say. You know go to that source.

William
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:42 am
Hi Guys,
I thought that might get a few of you chatting, great to see you all here!
Without you guys the world would be a less learned place. Thank you.
And have a brilliant day.
Mark...
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:18 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:
I use the word 'soul' only in the sense of the physical body of an organism.

This is a materialist view, which is, of course, your prerogative.

Regardless of whatever label one may wish to stick on it, for genre identification purposes, it is the far more realistic, practical view (if not the most). Regardless of whatever way Aristotle or Plato may have used the word 'physkhe,' they simply did not have the knowledge nor the test of time which we have privy to today, to really be able to say much of anything else--thus quoting them to defend a more obviously erroneous concept would surely prove questionable at best.

jeeprs wrote:
My understanding is that the soul is immortal but not eternal.
What in the world might you be talking about--unless you are using some presently unused-in-English definition?

Here's the point; if were we to look (and I would encourage you all to carefully do so, for the sake of learning, over that of argument) in a random English dictionary, we'll probably see a first entry which runs something along the lines of:
Quote:
An entity which is regarded as being the immortal or spiritual part of the person, and though having no physical or material reality, is credited with the functions of thinking and willing, and hence determining all behavior.

Now how on earth would the English language have ever arrived at a word for such a notion, without the notion having first been there. Never! Therefore we can know that as English formed, the notion under consideration here had been in the public domain previously. Where did that notion thus come from? Why of course from the Animistic/Shamanic religious activities of really way back when. What valid, and practical reason, therefore, might we present to support the claim that such primitive idealism had been correct. Furthermore, by what means can we demonstrate that those few who started such had received the knowledge of such--without appealing to supernatural superintendence? We can't !

jeeprs wrote:
The spirit is both immortal and eternal, but it doesn't belong to anyone.

Thus, how can anyone say such a thing? How can anyone make statements of knowledge towards some matter which, in the same breath, is said to be beyond grasp of knowledge? (remember our English dictionary will tell us that spirit and soul can one and the same referent)

It would more likely works towards improving the earth-bound lot of (especially) complex life forms, for us H. sapiens to acknowledge and practice a greater respect for the individual being as a most precious and valuable, once in a universe wonder. A soul is a being which has come into formation, which lives, then dies, thus is no more. The material which formulates the soul is earthbound, is recycled, and is simply natural. Unknown and presently unknowable forces or fields which allow such will have been up to now, and will (as far as can be posited, I'd guess) go on . . .and in the meantime souls come into existence and go out of existence, regardless (so such factors are simply givens).[quote][/quote]
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:35 pm
I don't know if animals have souls, but they are definitely spirit, the part of all beings that lives within. Spirit animates the body. What makes animals so extraordinary is they have no ego. This is what animals are here to teach us (at times dense and cruel) humans: The ego has to go
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:01 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

What makes animals so extraordinary is they have no ego.

Hi Pemerson,
Do you truly believe that animals don't exhibit the characteristics of having a sense of self-esteem? Does a bird not preen itself, does a cat not groom itself, does a chameleon not put on a colourful display? To say that an animal has no notion of 'self' is to never have observed the traits of animals.
Have a great day Pemerson.
Mark...
William

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:18 pm
@William,
William wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Hi All,
Do Animals have souls???

Let me know your point of view, I have a special interest in this and would be grateful for any and all replies.
Thank you, all, and journey well.
Mark...

Hello Mark. I don't know? Never was one. Ask an animal. See if you can hear what they say. You know go to that source.

William

From deep thought it could be that some souls were animal once as a form of atonement. That would explain such an inquiry and a defense of said animal, wouldn't it!? Maybe that's where we get the spooks that haunt so many imaginations. That would be one hell of a deja vu experience. "Please don't hurt that animal; he's learning his lesson, be gentle and pet him, he could sure use it, ha!

William
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:25 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Pemerson wrote:

Hi Pemerson,
Do you truly believe that animals don't exhibit the characteristics of having a sense of self-esteem? Does a bird not preen itself, does a cat not groom itself, does a chameleon not put on a colourful display? To say that an animal has no notion of 'self' is to never have observed the traits of animals.
Mark...

Those are all instinctive reactions mark. You are anthropomorphizing the animals. Flies clean their legs too, if you've watched them.
William

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:34 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Pemerson wrote:

Hi Pemerson,
Mark...

Those are all instinctive reactions mark. You are anthropomorphizing the animals. Flies clean their legs too, if you've watched them.

Kudos, Jeb.

William
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:36 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Pemerson wrote:

Hi Pemerson,
Mark...

How do we (humans) differ Jebediah, I mean, what makes us any less instictively inclined?
Thank you Jebediah. Good tidings to you.
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:40 pm
@William,
Hi William,
Why are you present at the end of all my latest posts? Is your point of view more significant than mine, or has Kennethamy posessed you?
Have a great day William.
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:49 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi William,
Why are you present at the end of all my latest posts? Is your point of view more significant than mine, or has Kennethamy posessed you?
Have a great day William.
Mark...

Hi William, I just found this comment of yours...

William Wrote:
(How could anyone kill such a loving, caring creature?)

A loving, caring EGOLESS creature, I see.
You are a hypocrite, sir
Thank you, and have a good day.
Mark...
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:09 pm
I do believe that animals have souls, just as humans do. The question would
be: how do animal souls differ from human souls?
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:34 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I do believe that animals have souls, just as humans do. The question would
be: how do animal souls differ from human souls?

Hi Calamity Jane,
Like I say, I don't believe the soul (spirit) of a thing is seperate to the anatomical, nor do I believe that any one thing is seperate to another, but if someone tries telling me, my dogs don't have feelings and emotions, egos and ideals - As far as I'm concerned, they are wrong. My dogs dream and sulk, show happiness and surprise. It may not be apparent to the human perception, but I believe this trait to be universal among all living things - Yes William - Plants, bacteria and viruses included.
Thank you Calamity Jayne, that last bit wasn't intended for you.
Have a smashing day, nonetheless.
Mark...
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:35 pm
@mark noble,
Thank you, and I hope you have a splendid day as well, Mark.

Well, my avatar is our dog Lilly, so naturally I feel the same way as you do, but
I am not so sure that I would grant them feelings of emotions, egos and ideals
only. Remember our friend Pavlov : dogs salivated when the bell was rang,
that's not an emotion, rather desire, sensation, belief - non-physical attributes we affiliate with being soulful. Cats don't eat out of necessity, they have tastes
for a particular food and won't touch something they don't like. Taste is also
a non-physical characteristic that I consider soulful.
Any sensation non-physical is soul.
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Thank you, and I hope you have a splendid day as well, Mark.

Well, my avatar is our dog Lilly, so naturally I feel the same way as you do, but
I am not so sure that I would grant them feelings of emotions, egos and ideals
only. Remember our friend Pavlov : dogs salivated when the bell was rang,
that's not an emotion, rather desire, sensation, belief - non-physical attributes we affiliate with being soulful. Cats don't eat out of necessity, they have tastes
for a particular food and won't touch something they don't like. Taste is also
a non-physical characteristic that I consider soulful.
Any sensation non-physical is soul.

Hi again Calamity,
I understand what you mean by non-physical attributes (I wrote 'attributs' then) (giggling now!), It's just that I don't seperate these from the electro-biochemical functions wherefrom they originate. All that is mentally processed IMO is anatomical. But that is an ongoing nightmare of a debate that can never be proven either way.
In philosophy there is nothing that can be proven, so it seems.
Anyway, be fruitious Calamity.
Mark...
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@mark noble,
No, I don't think animals have "self-love."
mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:16 pm
@Pemerson,
Hi pemerson.
Do you mean "pride"?
Mark...
Pemerson

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:40 pm
@mark noble,
I don't think preening, grooming, etc. is self-love. But, pride? No, I don't see dogs taking pride when they perform well, and certainly not horses. They like making us happy, and they like being rewarded. Horses know they really must do what we ask--otherwise they get no rest whatever.

Animals seem to have an inner guidance. We may also, but few know it.

You have yourself a perfect day, Mark
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Do Animals have souls???
Definition 1:
Definition 2:
Definition 3:Definition 5:Definitions 4 and 6""8 don't apply to your question.

Summing up, I think all animals, human and non-humans, have souls. But the souls are pronounced to different degrees in different animals.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:45 pm
@Thomas,
thanks for those definitions! One thought that occurs to me is to look at it from the viewpoint of psychoanalytical theory. This says that there are different components of the conscious being, like ego, of which we are generally conscious, super-ego, which is kind of an internalised moralizing voice, and then also subconscious and unconscious drives, as well as complexes, and perhaps various pathological factors. Many of these are not immediately available to consciousness at all.

I am saying this because when we equate 'soul' with 'person' it is far from clear what 'person' is. Actually person was derived from Persona, which were the masks worn by actors in classical dramas. I am inclined to think that persona is very close to ego. Soul is much more an underlying type of quality, as in 'depths of soul'. I am inclined to think it encompasses many more unconscious and sub-conscious dimensions that does 'the person'.

Don't know if that would apply to animals, but again, it is a difference of degree rather than kind.
0 Replies