New members cliques ?

jgweed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:01 pm
One of the unique features about the Pf community is that its Membership was a blend of academics (for lack of a better word), students in both college and high schools interested in philosophy as a subject, and others who wanted a place where intellectual discussions on a wide variety of problems (and this means contemporary problems, too, but from a "philosophical" perspective) could take place in more serious atmosphere than in many other forums.
And, on the other hand, there are also forums that are strictly philosophical with everyone having degrees that are more like the perpetual war of all against all in found in graduate seminars.

Philforum, not without tension between the town and the gown, attempted to bridge a gap between the more formal philosophical discussion and discussion of ideas and positions from a generally philosophical point of view. I would think that, in time, more members of this total community will venture into the uncharted waters a2k so expansively provides.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:06 pm
I feel like we could really derail serious philosophical discussions. Especially some of us. My first thought was to have there be some sort of keyword in titles designated as serious philosophy. Then I thought - well, that might keep me at bay, but it wouldn't likely keep the master derailers away..... hmmm...
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:08 pm
so far this morning i havent been able to sign in...

EDIT: i see! they fixed my name! thanks, robert!
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:11 pm
@Letty,
Open a 'Topic' in the philosophy area.
Because as much as you think we are not mingling, personally I get the illusion that some of the established A2K members are reluctant and possibly a little scared of us 'The Philosophers' and are keeping their distance.
Some of just need to love you but to do so need to 'know' you.
All the best and shine on Letty
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:13 pm
@Theaetetus,
Thank goodness I have seen you here.
Please put your head in to let the rest of the more retiring members that you are here with us. 'Philforum check in'
Thanks
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:13 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I feel like we could really derail serious philosophical discussions. Especially some of us. My first thought was to have there be some sort of keyword in titles designated as serious philosophy. Then I thought - well, that might keep me at bay, but it wouldn't likely keep the master derailers away..... hmmm...

Perhaps our new friends could learn to use the Ignore feauture for the master de-railers, at least at first?
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:14 pm
@HexHammer,
Thank heaven you are here as well.
Please put your head into 'PhliForum check in' Topic.
We need to know where you are even if you not so much us.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:17 pm
@dlowan,
But not everyone will ignore them and they won't be known as MD-Rs until after having been engaged.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:22 pm
@littlek,
Please jump in.
We are waiting for you.
Don't forget this is your established home.
We still don't know if we can call it that.
And as for derailing, don't worry we need to know where the train is going first.
Please we are not going to bite.
If it is serious enough they will skip past and take no umbrage.
But some of us are looking for the 'untrained' as very few truly are when it comes to philosophy.
WE need you right now more than you are giving some of us credit for.
Please even if someone does snarl they wont bite.
We need you right now.
Please give us a chance.
I write this to you all,
not just you littlek as I have already had the delight of messanging with you.
Thanks sometime sun
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:24 pm
@dlowan,
We don't all ignore just because we do not get you.
Most of us welcome diversity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:25 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

But not everyone will ignore them and they won't be known as MD-Rs until after having been engaged.

Indeed. But, perhaps veterans here might let the new people know about the Ignore when we see threads being badly de-railed?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:28 pm
@sometime sun,
Hon, we ARE jumping in.

Thing is, there are a few folk here who routinely take pleasure from posting in ways that are designed to upset people and destroy threads. Not many, I assure you! We just don't want you good folk put off if that happens. They go away if ignored assiduously.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:37 pm
Well, me, I'm happy to see all the philosophers and prefer they argue (or whatever they do) in front of me so I can learn.

I agree that the utilization of the ignore button could and should be an option for those who haven't had their views argued much in a rude manner (oh, just wait - but maybe that is more so for the religion threads). There are levels on threads and Robert gave links to some good ones.

Your group general presence of good debate behavior (not that I know that, just saying) will be welcomed.
0 Replies

Dosed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
Alright.
Here's to jumping in.
I'm off to mingle! Wish me luck!!
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

littlek wrote:

Perhaps our new friends could learn to use the Ignore feauture for the master de-railers, at least at first?

I have already been tempted to use the ignore feature. You may find some of us reluctant to use it on ideological grounds. (refer to any of the several threads on the ignore feature from the Phil section) The general ideal amongst many of us from the old community was that the ignore function would retard potential inclusive debate on a subject, and that ideally even the troll had wisdom to share or a unique view that could teach. I fear that with a large group like this my ideals may be shattered (so to speak)
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:23 pm
@GoshisDead,
But allowing it to be done on a member-by-member basis violates those philosophical ideals less so than does top-down authoritarian banning for all don't you think?
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:27 pm
@Dosed,
Any of yall know anything about soccer/football?
Most of us on A2K don't. Some do. If you hurry you can join us on:

The A2K World Cup 2010 Striker Fantasy Game

You can meet a few Mexicans, a Canuck, a Frenchman and a German, an Irishman as well a few Americans. Including a genuine redneck from the mountains of Virginia!

Matches start tomorrow.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
@GoshisDead,
I love it!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:50 pm
@fresco,
When ever two people enter a room there is a while when neither knows who is going to assert control; dominance, if you prefer... If we were all dogs we would spend some time growling, and jumping around smelling each others butts, and peeing on stuff... Since we are only humans, and this seems to be a fair sized room, it may take a while for you earthling people to realize you have met your intelectual matches... Let us hope it is a match made in hollywood, and we all can shine...
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:52 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

There seems to be a fascinating display of reluctance to particate in the established philosophy forum, or superficial dipping of toes in the water. No doubt this is an understandable social phenomenon in everyday terms, but in philosophy... Exclamation

Fresco, some of us just got here, and many of us aren't even here yet.

Please don't interpret us not immediately contributing to current threads as a bad sign. People are still getting adjusted, and it's only natural we're gonna want to find our pack first. Hell, the layout in and of itself is confusing for some of us. With time, however, I'm sure we will all be friends.

Give us a little more rope, buddy, it's only the first day!
0 Replies