France the erzatz ally.

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:40 am
A U.S. General Speeds the Shift in an Iraqi City

By DEXTER FILKINS

Published: November 18, 2003
BAGHDAD, Iraq, Nov. 17 — An American commander is preparing to pull troops back from Ramadi, a city at the center of guerrilla activity, and turn it over to Iraqi officers, an experiment that could change the course of the occupation of Iraq.
An exerpt from the article;
French Urge Faster TransferPARIS, Nov. 17 — In a new sign of French resistance, Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said Monday that the American plan to speed the transfer of power in Iraq was too slow.In an interview in the daily La Croix, Mr. Villepin proposed instead to supplement the present Iraqi Governing Council of 24 leaders with "additional forces" to form a representative assembly that could elect a cabinet of 15 ministers before the end of the year. "This provisional government would embody Iraqi sovereignty and would see itself progressively endowed with the reality of executive power," he said.Mr. Villepin's remarks appeared at odds with the approval of the American plan by the German foreign minister, Joschka Fischer. Speaking with reporters on Monday after a meeting with Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, Mr. Fischer said the American timetable was "a very important step forward," news agencies reported.

It would seem that the French will never be satisfied with our actions or progress and will do and say anything to undermine the US. Therre is no doubt that there greatest joy will come from US defeat and humiliation
I keep hoping to see one of the news media come up with a list of French imports and companies doing business in the US allowing those who wish to to boycot french goods and services. Not the BS about French Fries. But something that would hit them where it hurts. They have since the second world war IMO been an erzatz ally.

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/reliaquote/popunder_reliaquote.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,347 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:43 am
Stop buying Bic pens and lighters, for starters. They now manufacture in this country, but the profits go to the French company who invented the Bic. If the Froggies bug you so much, stop flicking your Bic.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:52 am
There are lists of French products if you wish to do this, Au.

Just google - boycott French products - and you'll get a large number of sites.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:05 am
This is my country -- and I love it and its people. But there is no dishonor in calling attention to our excesses -- and it is not unpatriotic to suppose we are fast lumbering our of control.

Instead of boycotting French goods -- how about offering them a round of applause for having the balls to stand up to us. If more countries would do that instead of being ass-kissers like Great Britian, the world might be a safer place.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:06 am
Having actually been to France and having an interest in some aspects of French history, I find that the French are more like us than are the residents of the few other European nations I visited (Germany, Sweden, Finland).

Why boycott French products? The French are as entitled to their opinions as we are. As for the current situation, well, we are guilty there.

If we are to be angry at the French for anything, it should be for insisting that Britain award them a piece of the Middle East after WWI. That's where the French were really guilty.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:22 am
AU hates the French, folks, so better to give him some good ideas to support his boycott plans, rather than try to convince him of anything he is not prepared to believe.

No slur, AU, i think you know that you and i already disagree on this topic.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:33 am
Sentanta
Yes we do disagree. But after all that is what makes a2k so interesting the disagreements. Who wants to preach to the choir. I knew exactly the response to expect upon posting this thread.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:44 am
Perhaps I should have captioned this thread "France, friend or foe. Which are they?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:55 am
How about: The French, political foes, or perfidious snail-eating curs . . .

We could have fun with this . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:16 am
Sentanta
Why does the tune "fools rush in where wise men fear to tread" keep playing in my head? Embarrassed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:23 am
No worry, Boss, i have my personal rants, as well. I don't agree with what you believe, but i will defend to the last drop of someone else's blood your right to post it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:26 am
You could start by boycotting the following products that we imported from France:

- Liberty
- Democracy
- The American Revolution (won with French support - military, financial and philosophical)

We have historically rejected their good sense. We didn't listen to them about Vietnam or Iraq. History will confirm that they were right on both counts.

We are rejecting Universal health care - and this is just is just starting to hurt. You all will agree with me about this in the next four or five years.

It seems like the French continue to try to do the US a favor with plain common sense. We should at least be more appreciative.

The brave French soldiers who died to give you your freedom must be rolling over in their graves right now!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:33 am
plainoldme wrote:
Having actually been to France and having an interest in some aspects of French history, I find that the French are more like us than are the residents of the few other European nations I visited (Germany, Sweden, Finland).

If we are to be angry at the French for anything, it should be for insisting that Britain award them a piece of the Middle East after WWI. That's where the French were really guilty.

I believe this assessment of the French is accurate. They are indeed more like us than any other Europeans, inward-looking, convinced that theirs is the central culture in the world, and equally convinced that everyone should speak their language. They are unlike us however, in their worldview and concept of their self-interest.

I would not however limit French guilt and perfidy to just their grab of protectorates in Syria and Lebanon after WWI. Sitting our WWII and doing their best to accomodate Hitler, and then, after the war, attempting to retake their former empire in North Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia as though nothing had happened, would also make my list. The French have no lasting interest in our welfare, and have amply shown that their loyalty isn't worth much.

France is certainly not an ally and hardly even a friend of the United States.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:56 am
Brown
What do you think the American dead killed in the support of the French are doing now.
As to liberty and democracy. I seem to recall that the American revolution proceeded that of the French.And that those paragons of freedom and fair play spent a good deal of time chopping off heads before they came up with their Napoleon who was out to capture the world in the name of France. I expect the French are still living in the glories of Napoleon. And it should further be noted that any help we had from the French during our revolution had nothing to do with liberty but was to punish the British who they were in effect at war with at that time. The French have never been known to do anything for anyone but the French.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:17 pm
I for one like the French and will not boycot them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:19 pm
I don't know what i'd do without Bic pens and lighters . . .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:24 pm
Au,

I am not saying that the French are any more noble than the US. There are scarce few examples of noble actions by anyone in international relations.

I am just saying that they are right.

And besides they make good cheese and good wine, both of which I appreciate.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:26 pm
e brown,

Good wine can be found in California, Chile, and Austrailia as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:27 pm
Then of course, there is the Heine winery in North Carolina. They pronounce that "High-knee."

Their advertising push, once a year, is to "get a little Heine underneath the Christmas tree."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:44 pm
Au

Your opinions of the Palestinians, Arabs, and Islamic have been noted.

You have scorn for all of them.

Your opinions on France have been noted.

You scorn France.

My opinion is that your need to engage in your particular brand of descrimination and defamation...

...really sucks.

Why don't you try to get a grip on it?
0 Replies