Science investigates the origins of religon

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:43 pm
There is some interesting research being done into how religion came to be such a wide-spread and persistent phenomenon in human societies. From an evolutionary standpoint, religions would not be so widespread and persistent if they did not provide an advantage to the groups that hold them. The most widely accepted theory is that religion facilitates cooperation among genetically diverse people.

"The details surrounding the emergence and evolution of religion have not been clearly established and remain a source of much debate among scholars. Now, an article published by Cell Press in the journal Trends in Cognitive Sciences on February 8 brings a new understanding to this long-standing discussion by exploring the fascinating link between morality and religion."

The summary of this study can be found through the link below:
Morality research sheds light on the origins of religion

The entire journal article can be found at:
Trends in Cognitive Sciences - The origins of religion : evolved adaptation or by-product?

The Moral Sense Test that is used in the study can be found at:
Moral Sense Test

I find it interesting to note that in this age religion, which should be the cause of unity, is often such a potent source of dis-unity and conflict. Of course, when human populations were more scattered, the people in a given region were more likely to be united by a single religion. (Think of a tribe with a single shaman, or a village with a single church.) Now, human population has grown to cover the Earth, there is world-wide communication and travel, and many religions compete for "mental bandwidth" and control in every population.

The solution seems obvious: a single, unifying faith that values all people equally, whatever their race, nation, culture, religious backgrounds, or gender. One that forbids war and teaches the paths to peace, justice, cooperation, and the oneness of humanity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,560 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Solace

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:16 am
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;128790 wrote:
The solution seems obvious: a single, unifying faith that values all people equally, whatever their race, nation, culture, religious backgrounds, or gender. One that forbids war and teaches the paths to peace, justice, cooperation, and the oneness of humanity.

An obvious solution with no obvious means of being implemented; so can you really call this a solution at all?
Pyrrho

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:35 pm
@Solace,
Solace;129355 wrote:

An obvious solution with no obvious means of being implemented; so can you really call this a solution at all?

You are mistaken, as many religions have figured out the basic method of implementation. It is done by killing all of the unbelievers and heretics. Then you end up with everyone believing the same things. This has been done in small portions of the world at various times in history, and could be done on a global basis. This is how religion unifies people.

With a popular religion, the number that it would be necessary to kill would be in the billions. Even Christianity, taken as a whole (which is obviously not unified in belief), which has more followers than any other religion, the majority of people in the world would have to be killed. But the more difficult obstacle is that 1CellOfMany's proposed qualities of a religion do not fit with any of the popular religions of today, so the carnage would have to be quite incredible to achieve the goal.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:40 pm
@1CellOfMany,

Do you propose inventing some deity? But the inventors would not be among the faithful. Also, capitalism will make for inequality. Communism will necessitate a dominant bureaucracy. Technology is already an argument against faith in general.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it seems like mission impossible.

---------- Post added 02-17-2010 at 02:41 PM ----------

Pyrrho;129386 wrote:
You are mistaken, as many religions have figured out the basic method of implementation. It is done by killing all of the unbelievers and heretics.

But the more difficult obstacle is that 1CellOfMany's proposed qualities of a religion do not fit with any of the popular religions of today, so the carnage would have to be quite incredible to achieve the goal.

Also, it begins to sound exactly like the sort of religion it is meant to replace.
Pyrrho

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:52 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129387 wrote:
Also, it begins to sound exactly like the sort of religion it is meant to replace.

You can't make an omelet without breaking any eggs.Wink In the case of forcing one belief on the entire population of the planet, the number of "eggs" to be broken would be great indeed.

I personally think that it would be better to try to convince everyone of what William Kingdon Clifford had to say in his most famous essay. Even so, it would not guarantee uniform belief, but I don't think that that is necessary. The main thing is getting rid of as many motives as possible to harm each other.

(For those who have trouble with their reading comprehension skills, "try to convince" does not mean "force" or "require". Indeed, that would go directly against what Clifford said, as he indicated that one ought to believe according to the evidence, not according to what someone tells you to believe.)
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:00 pm
@1CellOfMany,
Scientific investigation into the origin of religion isn't the best way to gain an understanding of religion.
Pyrrho

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:12 pm
@Insty,
Insty;129463 wrote:
Scientific investigation into the origin of religion isn't the best way to gain an understanding of religion.

Why do you say that? There may be better ways to experience religion, but to understand it is an entirely different matter.
1CellOfMany

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:46 pm
@Solace,
Solace;129355 wrote:

The means are "not obvious" in that it would not be easy for one to devise such means. And yet the means toward this solution have been devised, and are being implemented.

Pyrrho;129386 wrote:
You are mistaken, as many religions have figured out the basic method of implementation. It is done by killing all of the unbelievers and heretics. Then you end up with everyone believing the same things. This has been done in small portions of the world at various times in history, and could be done on a global basis. This is how religion unifies people.

With a popular religion, the number that it would be necessary to kill would be in the billions. Even Christianity, taken as a whole (which is obviously not unified in belief), which has more followers than any other religion, the majority of people in the world would have to be killed. But the more difficult obstacle is that 1CellOfMany's proposed qualities of a religion do not fit with any of the popular religions of today, so the carnage would have to be quite incredible to achieve the goal.

No religion, including Christianity or Islam, was "popular" when it first began. In fact, the early believers of many religions (but Christianity in particular) were the objects of persecution. It was by bearing up and showing the strength of their convictions in the face of persecution, and by "turning the other cheek" when abused, that the earliest Christians won the hearts of the people and gained new converts. Even in this age, the most powerful and effective inducements to become a Christian are the stories of how "becoming a Christian changed my life and helped to to grow to be a better, more loving member of society."

In the religion to which I am referring, killing non-believers, even in self-defense, is actually forbidden! After all, if one has faith, then what is death but a huge step closer to your Beloved Lord? But for one person to take another person's life? That is surely a deed the Lord despises!

One of the central principles of that religion which has the potential of uniting mankind is the independent investigation of truth. (The first section of W. K. Clifford's essay, The Ethics of Belief, are a good argument for this principle. Many thanks, Pyrrho for this link!) Another is that Religious beliefs must be subject to scientific analysis, and that if a belief is contrary to what can be shown through the evidence and reasoning of science, the the belief is mere superstition. (Sorry, anti-theists, but science cannot prove that God or the soul or an afterlife do not exist! As for you atheists, I don't expect that science can prove that they do exist, either! If you disagree, you need to provide the proof - like a link to a proper scientific study in a peer reviewed journal - not just your opinion.)
When one has investigated the matter with an open mind, free of the prejudices of others, one will realize the truth of the second principle, which is that all of mankind are of the same human family. This knowledge is reinforced by the vast study of human DNA that is still being done. https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/lan/en/index.html
melonkali

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:34 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;129502 wrote:
The means are "not obvious" in that it would not be easy for one to devise such means. And yet the means toward this solution have been devised, and are being implemented.

In the religion to which I am referring, killing non-believers, even in self-defense, is actually forbidden! After all, if one has faith, then what is death but a huge step closer to your Beloved Lord? But for one person to take another person's life? That is surely a deed the Lord despises!

One of the central principles of that religion which has the potential of uniting mankind is the independent investigation of truth. (The first section of W. K. Clifford's essay, The Ethics of Belief, are a good argument for this principle. Many thanks, Pyrrho for this link!) Another is that Religious beliefs must be subject to scientific analysis, and that if a belief is contrary to what can be shown through the evidence and reasoning of science, the the belief is mere superstition. (Sorry, anti-theists, but science cannot prove that God or the soul or an afterlife do not exist! As for you atheists, I don't expect that science can prove that they do exist, either! If you disagree, you need to provide the proof - like a link to a proper scientific study in a peer reviewed journal - not just your opinion.)
When one has investigated the matter with an open mind, free of the prejudices of others, one will realize the truth of the second principle, which is that all of mankind are of the same human family. This knowledge is reinforced by the vast study of human DNA that is still being done. https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/lan/en/index.html

I'm not entirely clear. Are you saying that this ideal religion you speak of already exists? What means exactly have been devised and are being implemented? Or are you speaking in broader terms, and I'm just missing the point?

rebecca
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:44 pm
@1CellOfMany,
From an evolutionary standpoint, religions would not be so widespread and persistent if they did not provide an advantage to the groups that hold them.
That might be true, but there may be no relevant "evolutionary standpoint". Revenge wars have persisted among the groups of Papua New Guinea for a long time, yet dont appear to confer any advantages. So, apparently, either such wars are immune to analysis from an evolutionary standpoint or some evolved traits are disadvantageous.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:16 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;129547 wrote:
That might be true, but there may be no relevant "evolutionary standpoint". Revenge wars have persisted among the groups of Papua New Guinea for a long time, yet dont appear to confer any advantages. So, apparently, either such wars are immune to analysis from an evolutionary standpoint or some evolved traits are disadvantageous.

You should also consider evolutionary baggage. Competition is everywhere, so if aggressiveness has helped us survive as a species, then aggressiveness may be baggage from our evolutionary past, before we had such big brains in other words.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:36 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;129472 wrote:
Why do you say that? There may be better ways to experience religion, but to understand it is an entirely different matter.

I don't know about that. Let's consider a less controversial issue, for an example. Can one understand love without having experienced it?

Can the scientific method reasonably make a claim on the subjective? Or is science limited to objective measurements?
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:38 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129586 wrote:
I don't know about that. Let's consider a less controversial issue, for an example. Can one understand love without having experienced it?

Can the scientific method reasonably make a claim on the subjective? Or is science limited to objective measurements?

Have you heard of the new idea of memes?
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:38 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129580 wrote:
You should also consider evolutionary baggage. Competition is everywhere, so if aggressiveness has helped us survive as a species, then aggressiveness may be baggage from our evolutionary past, before we had such big brains in other words.

Male lions have no predators. Except they fight one another. This war between lions insures that only the healthiest males will reproduce.

I wonder if we have forgotten to look at the quality of genes when it comes to humans. Perhaps its taboo?

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 02:39 AM ----------

Scottydamion;129587 wrote:
Have you heard of the new idea of memes?

Yes, and I think it's a great concept. (Ties into "sentences are viruses," except that memes are behaviors as well as concepts.)

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 02:41 AM ----------

Insty;129463 wrote:

I agree. As much as I love the scientific method, it is often invoked where it cannot function.

Science is smaller than the human psyche, not larger.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:49 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129588 wrote:
Male lions have no predators. Except they fight one another. This war between lions insures that only the healthiest males will reproduce.

I wonder if we have forgotten to look at the quality of genes when it comes to humans. Perhaps its taboo?

Most certainly taboo. I think that biological evolution has slowed for us because of this, but it is possible that our humanity will allow for more Einstein's that would have died in their weak infancy or by other diseases. Since knowledge appears to be the way forward for ensuring human survival, it seems only appropriate that biological evolution would slow down. However, we have been mature as a species for such a short time, it is a vast set of possible answers as to what will become the way forward.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:54 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129597 wrote:
Since knowledge appears to be the way forward for ensuring human survival, it seems only appropriate that biological evolution would slow down.

This is a good issue.
1. It does seem that technological and cultural evolution have taken the place of biological evolution -- with some exceptions. Certain pregnancies are now being terminated due to screenings that detect severe diseases. Also, those traits which help one to succeed in one's culture, are arguably more likely to be reproduced for economic reasons. On the other hand, welfare states sometimes encourage or fail to discourage reproduction by the poor.

2. Knowledge has also made it possible for the species to destroy or greatly reduce itself. I just heard a little about a germ-warfare program that Soviets were once developing against the U.S. Then we have atomic bombs to worry about.

On the other hand, if the species can get into space and spread out in several directions, it's chances for long term survival would seem to increase. At the moment, we are all gathered on planet Earth. If this boat sinks, we're all drowned.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:02 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129599 wrote:
This is a good issue.
1. It does seem that technological and cultural evolution have taken the place of biological evolution -- with some exceptions. Certain pregnancies are now being terminated due to screenings that detect severe diseases. Also, those traits which help one to succeed in one's culture, are arguably more likely to be reproduced for economic reasons. On the other hand, welfare states sometimes encourage or fail to discourage reproduction by the poor.

2. Knowledge has also made it possible for the species to destroy or greatly reduce itself. I just heard a little about a germ-warfare program that Soviets were once developing against the U.S. Then we have atomic bombs to worry about.

On the other hand, if the species can get into space and spread out in several directions, it's chances for long term survival would seem to increase. At the moment, we are all gathered on planet Earth. If this boat sinks, we're all drowned.

Agreed.

These are exciting times! I just wish we would've listened to Einstein and snuffed out all of the nukes, I could sleep that much better at night.

This is a little off-topic (but it does involve science lol) but have you heard about research into dust storms from Africa causing abrupt climate change? There is evidence that giant sandstorms develop as a result of global warming throwing debris into the atmosphere. It would be kind of like a nuclear war clouding out the sun except probably not as severe. Something akin to a Martian sandstorm does come to mind thought, and those are nasty.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:10 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129602 wrote:

This is a little off-topic (but it does involve science lol) but have you heard about research into dust storms from Africa causing abrupt climate change? There is evidence that giant sandstorms develop as a result of global warming throwing debris into the atmosphere. It would be kind of like a nuclear war clouding out the sun except probably not as severe. Something akin to a Martian sandstorm does come to mind thought, and those are nasty.

No, I hadn't heard of that. Doesn't sound fun.
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:47 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129580 wrote:
But I'm disputing the suggestion that, for no better reason than that something has been around for a long time, that thing can be analysed in evolutionary terms and that it must have a benefit for the group. Is there a reason that I should accept this?
Krumple

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:53 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129602 wrote:

Catch up on your knowledge base, there is no longer any global warming, they have changed the name to global climate change. Since they no longer consider it a warming trend but instead impact on climate instead. Funny how they want to try to cover both data sets now rather than focus on one set.

Anyways we have known about these sand storms for a long time, and they have been happening for a LONG time. They have dug up sand in South America that originated in Africa believed to be from storms that happened tens of thousands of years ago. If we have been the cause of these storms, why do we have this kind of evidence? Seems a little silly to be blaming modern humans for stuff that has happened ten thousand years ago. Sure we were burning lots of trees but that can't be the reason these sandstorms happen.

Global climate change is a hoax, in the sense that humans are to blame for the climate change. It is absurd to blame humans for something that has been recorded as happening for millions of years. The Earth does not have a constant state of climate, it changes all the time. Just look at the weather we have on a daily basis. We can't even predict daily weather let alone what changes take effect over hundreds or thousands of years.

There are so many factors involved and we have only been recording weather data for a few hundred years, and reliable data for less than a hundred. That is only a tiny smidge of information compared to all the millions of years the earth has undergone climate changes.

What really is happening is an attempt to create a new form of taxiation to make people feel guilty for living. The first stage is to get people to believe that humans are drastically impacting the climate, the next is to fruaduantely get them to pay for that impact. But honestly these law makers have no plan to actually fix the problems, because that would stop the flow of money if the problems were fixed. Instead they want people to continue to polute, and feel guilty about it, so they can endlessly collect the money. Think about it.

Recently they increased the tax on using plastic grocery bags. At first I was like, what? Then it dawned on me, if plastic grocery bags were so bad for the environment, why don't they just place a ban on them? I mean wouldn't that be more in line of what we do with everything we consider bad? Ban it? Instead they place a tax on them. So to me they are actually saying, "We really don't mind that you use plastic grocery bags, if you are willing to pay us money for using them."

So it's a, "Pay money to alieviate your guilt for living tax" And people are buying into it just like they always do thinking the government does no wrong and always has their best interest in mind.