Why I am not an atheist

Twirlip

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 12:09 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;171714 wrote:
As far as what else you've said and posited; you might want to state things that you hope for or think might be true as "hopes" and "might be's". I, like many others in this thread, have taken your "This is <such>" and "those people are <so on>" as you saying you already firmly believe or *know* such things. Your clarification is now clear - that you don't know but are testing the waters; looking at your original post, it didn't sound that way at all.

I shall have to think how to indicate in my writing the kind of conceptual tentativeness involved.

It isn't, as you suggest, a tentativeness as to whether certain clearly-stated propositions are true or false, together with a wish or hope that the propositions are true. It's a tentativeness as to what words to use to convey certain images, together with a belief and hope that some words can be used, even if I haven't yet begun to find nearly the right ones.

This belief and hope is expressed in the fact that I try to convey the image using a form of words which resembles an argument, but an argument with gaping holes, an absence of definitions, and an odd and baffling choice of words. It says, "If only I could find the right words, if only I could stay in touch with this image long enough, there is an argument to be made, which goes something like this." I'm sorry that, along with my failure to find the right words to convey the image I had in mind, I also failed to find the right words to convey the difficulty of finding the right words.

It's a bit like Euclid not realising that there were gaping holes even in the simplest of his arguments, because his mind was carried along by images. Hilbert was still 2,200 years in the future. (Not that this sort of stuff is even yet anywhere near Euclid's stage of development, or even Pythagoras's; I'm using 'Euclid' as a collective name for all the ancient Greek geometers.)

Inspired by the evident failure of my efforts so far, someone else might like to have a go at describing the 'geometry' of mind, as they see it.

For a start, they might like to consider human selves. Do these exist, for a start? It's not obvious that the infinitesimal 'points' of Euclid exist, either, yet his choice of the point as a fundamental concept was inspired.

Euclid's Elements, Book I
Quote:
Definition 1. A point is that which has no part.
Very well then, let's look at ourselves (i.e. my self, your self, their selves). Inspired, perhaps, by the Euclidean analogy, the first question to ask might be whether a self is like a point. That is, does it have parts? I'll leave the rest to you.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:37 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;171717 wrote:
Yeah many of these cultures believed in human sacrifice too. Are you saying there is merit in human sacrifice? After all if you are using the argument that there is validity in belief in god simply because there are so many cultures around the world that believe in some sort of god or gods, then it must stand that there must be validity to believing in god.

You're in left field, friend.

To admit the obvious fact that many humans feel a need to explore their metaphysical questions is a far cry from ascribing any validity to - or excusing any practices arising from such needs.
Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:47 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;171665 wrote:
I still don't understand the bit about the disco for mice though.

Here's my little opinion. True religion which is rare on earth is made of love, of feeling, of seeing the world and others in it as beautiful, and being grateful for this. William Blake is a fine example. He knew and stressed that true religion was feeling, but he still created all sorts of images. He was painting the human soul, its various "spiritual" states. I put the word "spiritual" in quotes because religion has been so idolatrous and supernatural in its approach, that a fine word like "spirit" has been muddied. For me the spirit is nothing but emotion, concept, sensation as a unity, also known as life.

I did the mice bit as some playful comedy. I think we can only pray with bloody hands, because there are no clean hands. And I don't think there is a better form of prayer than seeing another human being as beautiful, and loving this beauty. We are all mortal of course. So the mice (us) dance on the tail not of a mere cat but on a tiger. And this is the terrible aspect of reality. The world can be cruel beyond mere human cruelty. But the mortal mice dance with their bloody whiskers tickling one another despite all this. Because they accept the tiger. They forgive the future(death/betrayal/etc) and the past ("sins" of self/others) and DANCE. :detective::flowers::Glasses:

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 04:53 PM ----------

Twirlip;171759 wrote:

Inspired by the evident failure of my efforts so far, someone else might like to have a go at describing the 'geometry' of mind, as they see it.

For a start, they might like to consider human selves. Do these exist, for a start? It's not obvious that the infinitesimal 'points' of Euclid exist, either, yet his choice of the point as a fundamental concept was inspired.

Euclid's Elements, Book I
Very well then, let's look at ourselves (i.e. my self, your self, their selves). Inspired, perhaps, by the Euclidean analogy, the first question to ask might be whether a self is like a point. That is, does it have parts? I'll leave the rest to you.

Beautiful! The Euclidean point...yes indeed. And isn't this the infinitesimal considered spatially? I'm sure you know the Wittgenstein use. Plato is so obviously right when it comes to Forms....maybe not on all the details. But Forms are naked when we look at Euclid and arithmetic. Also those "Jungian" archetypes. There are conceptual archetypes like those of mathematics and archetypes more directly related to motive. I'm wondering about Plato's Form of the Good. Was this Love? Or Passion of some sort? The library here is weak on Plato.

Anyway, the self is an unconsidered abstraction. The self and the world are one. The self and the other are one. But our confused "self" abstraction is so useful that we run with it. A close examination of our experience breaks it down not into mind and matter but rather into sensation, emotion, concept. Or the discrete(concept) and the continuous (the rest). The "self" and the "world" are constructed from more basic elements. That's my opinion.
Krumple

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 04:44 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;171789 wrote:
You're in left field, friend.

To admit the obvious fact that many humans feel a need to explore their metaphysical questions is a far cry from ascribing any validity to - or excusing any practices arising from such needs.

How is that any different than the need itself?

You can put it in other terms. If you say a person feels the need to explore metaphysics then in a way you could say they have a metaphysical hunger. Searching for it would be a kin to hunting it. Once you find it, then what is the result, you just turn back? No, the next step is usually consuming it. It is this part of the equation, the consumption part that tends to be the aspect of religion that is sacrificial in nature. So to search for something doesn't mean that once it is determined the road ends. Rarely have I ever seen anyone do something like that.
Twirlip

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:13 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;171794 wrote:
Here's my little opinion. True religion which is rare on earth is made of love, of feeling, of seeing the world and others in it as beautiful, and being grateful for this.

I think someone like myself, who has little love, and sees mostly horror, can still have true religious thoughts; but if the thoughts are true, he'll slowly become a better person (perhaps quickly, but I'm suspicious of rapid conversions or transformations, including that of Saul/Paul); and if I remain the same useless turd I still mostly am, my religious thoughts aren't true.

To risk a generalisation, I'm more inclined to think of true religion as in all cases having something to do with transcending one's limitations, realising (in what I know is a horrible football team manager's cliche) that even one's best is not good enough, and then finding a way to go on. Jung would probably say something about finding a new centre for the personality, the Self rather than the self. I had a particular story to tell here, nothing grand, a storm in a teacup on the Internet a few years back, the moment when I tipped over into belief in some sort of God, but I'm just too tired to try to tell it right now. You're not missing much, but it would have helped a bit if I could given such a concrete instance.
For me the spirit is nothing but emotion, concept, sensation as a unity, also known as life.

I did the mice bit as some playful comedy. I think we can only pray with bloody hands, because there are no clean hands. And I don't think there is a better form of prayer than seeing another human being as beautiful, and loving this beauty. We are all mortal of course. So the mice (us) dance on the tail not of a mere cat but on a tiger. And this is the terrible aspect of reality. The world can be cruel beyond mere human cruelty. But the mortal mice dance with their bloody whiskers tickling one another despite all this. Because they accept the tiger. They forgive the future(death/betrayal/etc) and the past ("sins" of self/others) and DANCE. :detective::flowers::Glasses:

I'm more with you now. After two sleepless nights, and not enough sleep particularly today, my thoughts have been racing, but I have only a feeble ability to retain any of them. Much earlier on (while, already exhausted, I was reading part of that Balaguer paper about quantum mechanics and nominalism, mentioned by ughaibu in another thread), I wanted to break off and start a new thread with some title like 'The Selfish God', but I thought better of it. I still can't see any obvious objection to what I was going to write, though. I'm just too tired to even hint at it (I had to force myself to reply to this article of yours, because I liked it), but it had something of the feel of your mice dancing on the tiger's tail, which is why I mention it at all.
Beautiful! The Euclidean point...yes indeed. And isn't this the infinitesimal considered spatially? I'm sure you know the Wittgenstein use.

I'm sure I don't. Tell me. I haven't read nearly as much philosophy as I should.
Plato is so obviously right when it comes to Forms....maybe not on all the details.

Probably not on all the details, which often look silly (although not as silly as my OP in this thread!), but yes, I'm with you also on this. He's obviously right in some way. He had a hold of the sacred, and wouldn't let go. He had that tiger by the tail, and has led us all on a merry dance that never ends.
Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:20 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;171812 wrote:

Probably not on all the details, which often look silly (although not as silly as my OP in this thread!), but yes, I'm with you also on this. He's obviously right in some way. He had a hold of the sacred, and wouldn't let go. He had that tiger by the tail, and has led us all on a merry dance that never ends.

Plato is balanced out by Hegel. Most Forms are created and destroyed. But the Form of Forms is not. Pure concept. I wrote a blog on this. I'm either crazy or something clicked. You be the judge.:flowers:

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 06:27 PM ----------

Twirlip;171812 wrote:

I'm sure I don't. Tell me. I haven't read nearly as much philosophy as I should.

The TLP contains something like a brutally negative but utterly positive (emotionally) "theology. " He blows open science, philosophy, religion, all conceptualization. But he wrote too well. He tossed off grenades with such nonchalance and efficiency that no one got excited? Check out the Wittgenstein/Tao/Blake thread, if you like this.
Quote:

5.61 Logic pervades the world: the limits of the world are also its
limits. So we cannot say in logic, 'The world has this in it, and
this, but not that.' For that would appear to presuppose that we were
excluding certain possibilities, and this cannot be the case, since it
would require that logic should go beyond the limits of the world; for
only in that way could it view those limits from the other side as well.
We cannot think what we cannot think; so what we cannot think we cannot
say either.

5.62 This remark provides the key to the problem, how much truth there
is in solipsism. For what the solipsist means is quite correct; only it
cannot be said, but makes itself manifest. The world is my world: this
is manifest in the fact that the limits of language (of that language
which alone I understand) mean the limits of my world.

5.621 The world and life are one.

5.63 I am my world. (The microcosm.)

5.631 There is no such thing as the subject that thinks or entertains
ideas. If I wrote a book called The World as l found it, I should have
to include a report on my body, and should have to say which parts were
subordinate to my will, and which were not, etc., this being a method of
isolating the subject, or rather of showing that in an important sense
there is no subject; for it alone could not be mentioned in that book.--

5.632 The subject does not belong to the world: rather, it is a limit of
the world.

5.633 Where in the world is a metaphysical subject to be found? You will
say that this is exactly like the case of the eye and the visual field.
But really you do not see the eye. And nothing in the visual field
allows you to infer that it is seen by an eye.

5.6331 For the form of the visual field is surely not like this

5.634 This is connected with the fact that no part of our experience is
at the same time a priori. Whatever we see could be other than it is.
Whatever we can describe at all could be other than it is. There is no a
priori order of things.

5.64 Here it can be seen that solipsism, when its implications are
followed out strictly, coincides with pure realism. The self of
solipsism shrinks to a point without extension, and there remains the
reality co-ordinated with it.

5.641 Thus there really is a sense in which philosophy can talk
about the self in a non-psychological way. What brings the self into
philosophy is the fact that 'the world is my world'. The philosophical
self is not the human being, not the human body, or the human soul, with
which psychology deals, but rather the metaphysical subject, the limit
of the world--not a part of it.
emphasis mine:detective:

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 06:34 PM ----------

Twirlip;171812 wrote:
I think someone like myself, who has little love, and sees mostly horror, can still have true religious thoughts; but if the thoughts are true, he'll slowly become a better person (perhaps quickly, but I'm suspicious of rapid conversions or transformations, including that of Saul/Paul); and if I remain the same useless turd I still mostly am, my religious thoughts aren't true.

In my opinions, the only Truth that stays Truth is the Form of Forms itself. Or Pure Abstract Concept. And this Concept is as pure as nothingness. Hegel's logic opens with the being-nonbeing tension. Indeterminate being is the same as nothingness, which is the same as indeterminate being. We can't think a completely empty thought. There is still unity there. Indeterminate being is the null set, you might say. And for poetic resonance, we might note that the number zero is positioned smack in the middle of positive infinity and negative infinity. And we can throw the complex plane in if we want a cross. 0 is more nakedly made of pure number, pure concept, than 1 is. Because 1 is confused still with the real world. but 0 is pure abstraction. and it took us awhile therefore to invent/discover it. Math is high art.

In my view, to see pure concept is to realize that all impure concept is utterly contingent. There can be no final answer. And this is the answer. (The Form of Forms gives one freedom from all particular forms...)

I just know this is going to be mistaken for mysticism. But I assert roundly that it is the HEART of logic and mathematics. :cool:
Khethil

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:51 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;171802 wrote:
How is that any different than the need itself?

Because how people satisfy a need, or express a belief, is distinctly separate from the belief or need itself; they're two separate components in the same equation, but certainly not identical and absolutely not bound to lead to the same results as anyone else.

You're quite right that people express their religiosity (consume that hunted idea, so to speak) differently. As history shows; this can be everything from the completely innocuous to the patently horrifying.

I think people should resolve their belief (or absence thereof) consciously, determinedly and purposefully. I believe that when the conscious mind consciously asks itself "What do I believe?" (for anything metaphysical) and then works to answer this question for themselves, the end result is much more, though certainly not completely, a product of the rational, self-aware self (as opposed to not even looking at the issue head-on and perhaps letting subconscious/repressed thoughts and fears steer the ship as it were). I can believe something totally irrational yet grasp (or consciously acknowledge this belief system) in a rational way. Again, two different aspects to the issue - one doesn't indemnify the other.

Once someone figures out where they stand at the moment, then (as I mentioned before) they can examine it; and in so doing, examine and understand themselves all the better. Sorry, I'm droning on here...

Yes, as you said, that's not the end of the road, for sure, but I think it a necessary step. But as I was replying to Twirl about what appeared to be an as yet-unformed opinion, it seemed prudent to encourage him/her towards that 'self discovery' of how he/she really feels in the first place. This strikes me as a necessary "first step" before asking others how they feel about theological beliefs stated as if they were their own, but in fact haven't any idea where they stand.

Thanks
Huxley

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 06:46 pm
@Amperage,
Krumple;171709 wrote:
Even though I agree with your post here. It is a fair assessment however; I find a fault in it, and it is a typical fault.

Why is it that people presuppose a god's existence becomes a barrier to knowing or not knowing, when there are other uncertainties that never give rise to conflict?

I could suggest that there is an invisible being that moves among us. It has one task and that is to cut the life strings from an individual. There is no death, it is only this invisible being who causes it to occur. These life strings as long as they are attached to the human body, the body would go on living indefinitely, if this being were to fail to sever these strings. I can say this with absolute fact that this being does exist. But how?

Since I can not provide for you any evidence what so ever. Are my claims rational or logical? Since the attributes of the argument make it plausible, why are they not acceptable?

So from this point on, anyone who rejected my assessment would be in error, if you are suppose to accept all possibilities equal to any lack of evidence for any claim.

So regardless of the claim, you must always accept it as plausible. If this is true then all science would become completely useless. But since I do not adhere to what I have stated it is obvious that you should not simply accept a theory without any basis for evidence.

Since there is absolutely no evidence for a god, it would stand that logical reasoning would dictate that a god does not exist. If you do not accept that claim then you must, for consistency sake, accept ALL claims equally no matter how unlikely they are. If you don't accept all claims equally then you invalidate your own argument.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, to be honest. Do you mind pointing out the flaw?

Amperage;171711 wrote:
Not saying I agree with the this argument but assuming God exists, and God is the requisite for a moral standard as you said then, actually yes, according to William Kingdon Clifford, at least in his essay, The Ethics of Belief, it does matter if you believe in Him.

Clifford basically explains that it's not even what you believe but why and on what grounds you believe it. Therefore, if God exists and is the reason for such moral standards, and you believe killing people is wrong, then while that may be true, if you believe it on any grounds short of believing such a truth is from God then you are wrong and "the pleasure is a stolen one." . . . It is sinful because it is stolen in defiance of our duty to mankind. That duty is to guard ourselves from such beliefs as from a pestilence which may shortly master our own body and then spread to the rest of the town. . . . It is wrong always, everywhere, and for every one, to believe anything for [unworthy/insufficient/false reasons]."

burger-book

Well, I think I agree with the why and on what grounds bit. They are certainly important and worth discussing. But he doesn't address the uncertainty of morality even granting the existence of God, which is what I was attempting to highlight.

I suppose if you answer "Whatever it is that God says" to Euthyphro's problem then you would be consistent, but I don't think many a theist does answer in that direction, and even if they do, I still doubt many a theist would murder on theistic command (after all -- could it not be a demon?).

Given this, most people would take back a step and admit that, regardless of their position on the God-question, the uncertainty of ethics remains -- even if the moral positions are determined by some Three-O Being -- as that being isn't terribly well known amongst everyone (even if we grant a certain theist special positions of knowledge of existence and description, he'd have to admit that not everyone else knows Him as he does).
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 06:50 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;171835 wrote:
But as I was replying to Twirl about what appeared to be an as yet-unformed opinion, it seemed prudent to encourage him/her towards that 'self discovery' of how he/she really feels in the first place. This strikes me as a necessary "first step" before asking others how they feel about theological beliefs stated as if they were their own, but in fact haven't any idea where they stand.

I do know where I stand. But it's knowledge by acquaintance (if, as yet, too distant an acquaintance), not knowledge by description.

(What is that thunderous roar I hear? It's Bertrand Russell, spinning in his grave.)
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:05 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;171815 wrote:
Quote:
We cannot think what we cannot think; so what we cannot think we cannot say either.

5.62 This remark provides the key to the problem, how much truth there
is in solipsism. For what the solipsist means is quite correct; only it
cannot be said, but makes itself manifest. The world is my world: this
is manifest in the fact that the limits of language (of that language
which alone I understand) mean the limits of my world.

I had heard a paraphrase of Wittgenstein that 'we cannot set a limit to thinking, because to do so we would have to think on both sides of the limit'. I think this is the passage it was referring to. But it fails to understand that you can see past thought - you can, if you are sufficiently aware, understand the very nature of thought itself. By what faculty do you become aware of thought? Through bare awareness.

Solipsism is dependent on the illusion that I am separate from everyone and everything, that experience or consciousness is mine alone. But if consciousness is collective, there is no basis for solipsism.
Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:16 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;171858 wrote:
I had heard a paraphrase of Wittgenstein that 'we cannot set a limit to thinking, because to do so we would have to think on both sides of the limit'. I think this is the passage it was referring to. But it fails to understand that you can see past thought - you can, if you are sufficiently aware, understand the very nature of thought itself. By what faculty do you become aware of thought? Through bare awareness.

Solipsism is dependent on the illusion that I am separate from everyone and everything, that experience or consciousness is mine alone. But if consciousness is collective, there is no basis for solipsism.

Excellent points. We may even have a sense of the same thing while using different words to describe. I feel that the pure concept is the Form of Forms, and it is utterly radically simple. It seems that this Form of Forms is the source of all our other conceptual forms. The Form of Forms is just built in, and is even prior to abstractions like mind/matter, self/other, as all of these are conceptual. I don't know if this relates to bare awareness.

I think we also agree that concept alone won't cut it. Especially if absolute concept is absolutely empty. I come more from the Christian tradition. Love and Beauty. Quite Blakean really. All the concept in the world means nothing without love and beauty. I relate this to Plato's Form of the Good. Because love and beauty is the point, and it is involved with all the other forms. The forms are all lit by the Sun of Love/Beauty. Beauty and Love are One. (The fire and the rose?)

I think Wittgenstein was trying to show just how useless concept was for spiritual purposes. He dissolves dualities. He is there dissolving the mind/matter self/world dichotomy in conceptual terms. . He was trying to cure us of looking for "God" in concepts. Check this out....(remembering that Kojeve described concept as nonbeing/time/man...

Quote:

On the other hand the truth of the thoughts that are here communicated
seems to me unassailable and definitive. I therefore believe myself to
have found, on all essential points, the final solution of the problems.
And if I am not mistaken in this belief, then the second thing in which
the of this work consists is that it shows how little is achieved when
these problems are solved.

6.4311 Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience
death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration
but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the
present. Our life has no end in just the way in which our visual field
has no limits.
6.52 We feel that even when all possible scientific questions have been
answered, the problems of life remain completely untouched. Of course
there are then no questions left, and this itself is the answer.

6.521 The solution of the problem of life is seen in the vanishing of
the problem. (Is not this the reason why those who have found after a
long period of doubt that the sense of life became clear to them have
then been unable to say what constituted that sense?)

6.522 There are, indeed, things that cannot be put into words. They make
themselves manifest. They are what is mystical.
6.432 How things are in the world is a matter of complete indifference
for what is higher. God does not reveal himself in the world.

6.4321 The facts all contribute only to setting the problem, not to its
solution.

6.44 It is not how things are in the world that is mystical, but that it
exists.

6.45 To view the world sub specie aeterni is to view it as a whole--a
limited whole. Feeling the world as a limited whole--it is this that is
mystical.

The TLP is a deeply spiritual book....one more quote...

Quote:

6.54 My propositions are elucidatory in this way: he who understands me
finally recognizes them as senseless, when he has climbed out through
them, on them, over them. (He must so to speak throw away the ladder,
after he has climbed up on it.) He must transcend these propositions,
and then he will see the world aright.

I may be a fool (which may be the point) but I feel this.
I launched a thread called Wittgenstein/Tao/Blake where more TLP quotes are on display with Tao & Blake.
:detective:
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:23 pm
@Twirlip,
I was trying to relate this to the theme of the OP, but I don't think I will have succeeded in so doing. It is tangential to it.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:35 pm
@Twirlip,
I don't know. My position doesn't fit very easily into atheist of theist. If god is not a concept, is that atheism? Because whatever one says is not God, cannot be God. And "God" would be just an idol. Any concept is just a concept.

And yet the emotion associated with the term God is worth something. Hegel describe reality as spirit...but "spirit" too has supernatural associations. In my mind, the supernatural is idolatrous. So-called God is here and now all the g-- damned time! But "God" is just a concept, a word, a piece of driftwood.

Forgive if this does not gel with the thread.
Huxley

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:40 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;171873 wrote:

And yet the emotion associated with the term God is worth something. Hegel describe reality as spirit...but "spirit" too has supernatural associations.

I find stating "Mind knowing Mind as Mind" as a better way to communicate what Hegel meant, as he defines Spirit as "Reason, when Reason knows that Reason is all there is". (paraphrased. I don't have my copy on me at the moment. I think he also takes, like, a paragraph to say it or something....) I find that it avoids the supernatural association we tend to have with "Spirit".

Quote:

In my mind, the supernatural is idolatrous. So-called God is here and now all the g-- damned time! But "God" is just a concept, a word, a piece of driftwood.

I tend to agree with this.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:53 pm
@Twirlip,
Yes I agree too, with the caveat that we don't know enough about nature to know what is 'super- ' to it. I think what we mean by supernatural, though, is very close to superstition i.e. 'conditioned belief in forces for which there can be no rational explanation'. The difficulty is that on the edges of science, nowadays, we also seem to be right on the edges of the 'naturalist' paradigm as well. So a reflexive hostility to anything 'supernatural' is something I am wary of.

FYI there is a very interesting philosopher of religion at Princeton whose books I have noticed, who project is exactly to rescue religion from supernaturalism, have a look at Saving God: Religion After Idolatry, by Mark Johnston.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley;171877 wrote:
I find stating "Mind knowing Mind as Mind" as a better way to communicate what Hegel meant, as he defines Spirit as "Reason, when Reason knows that Reason is all there is". (paraphrased. I don't have my copy on me at the moment. I think he also takes, like, a paragraph to say it or something....) I find that it avoids the supernatural association we tend to have with "Spirit".

You may indeed be righter on Hegel's intended meaning. I have sort of chewed him up in a soup with Wittgenstein (and many others), and I studied Hegel largely (but not exclusively) through the eyes of Kojeve.

The tricky part is that "mind" is one more concept. I currently view all concept as contingent. All of it. No word is or can be final. That's just my opinion, of course. But one has got to live and move within this system of concepts, of course. And this system of concepts is the ladder one uses to climb beyond it, or at least to see that every particular concept is not it, not the absolute. But this is my view, and Hegel may have meant something different. In any case, he was great raw material for me, if I have twisted him into some other shape.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@Twirlip,
Review of above here.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:03 pm
@Twirlip,
Quote:

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all idolatrous insofar as they attempt "to evade or ignore the demanding core of true religion: radical self-abandonment to the Divine as manifested in the turn toward others and toward objective reality" (p. 24). They are idolatrous insofar as they invoke another hidden world and promise an afterlife in that world, as a way of redirecting people's aspirations in the "all too this-worldly interests of the religion" (p. 24).
Great article. There are several quotes of this quality. It was hard to choose. Idolatry in essence distracts man from the possibility of embracing the here and now with love. He uses it to put himself above other humans. He cuts himself off from the present, sees heaven everywhere but where he is. And he sees other human beings as unworthy of love, as guilty, and himself as righteous, or more righteous. To me, this is the essence of the Jesus story. He pointed at spirit/love and the idolaters nailed him up as a threat to their power.

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 09:09 PM ----------

jeeprs;171890 wrote:
Yes I agree too, with the caveat that we don't know enough about nature to know what is 'super- ' to it.

It all depends whether we want to broaden the concept of Nature to include everything or go the other route. I suggest that man is never finished abstracting from the richness of his experience.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:09 pm
@Twirlip,
well that's why I thought that book would appeal, to you and in fact many of the contributors on the Forum. The companion volume he wrote also looks good. So many books, so little time......
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:08 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;170877 wrote:
I'm sure this can be shot down instantly, but what the heck - who wants to live forever? I just want to know if it makes any sense to anybody. It's not intended as gospel.

Time (in spite of myself - I'd rather be doing something else, but my daemon won't permit!) to have another go at what I was trying to say in the OP, but said so badly.

It's only another stab. It's only another slice-and-dice in the Sudoku puzzle, trying to narrow something down enough to be actually able to write it into the grid. Not there yet.

If you like, my 'argument' can be taken as an implicit appeal: "Show me another way to see this." (Freud, Jung, Laing and Heidegger are all promising starting points, none of them obviously theistic, and at least two of them obviously atheistic. P.S. Also Schopenhauer.)

What's missing is a sense of reality in who we are, as opposed to reality in what we know. In virtue of our sense of the latter, we do not, like babies, imagine that what has disappeared from view over our sensory horizon has ceased to exist; and at a later stage of intellectual development, most of us learn that even what is beyond the power of our uninstrumented senses most of the time also really exists - hence science. But in respect of the reality of who we are, most of us are still babies, and narcissism rules as if it were maturity. A form of theism which fails to combat this collective (not individual) narcissism is useless, and only makes it worse; it becomes what Marx rightly called "the heart of a heartless world". The need is to put the heart back into the world; and here Marx has no answer (that I know of), and again only makes things worse. What is hard for us to understand, and what I've only just begun to understand, is that what is real in us, being both within and beyond the horizon of each of us in respect of our personal identity, is itself personal, and consequently our relationship to it, our being a part of it, is a personal relationship. We are kept in being by a Being. Esse est percipi.

On an atheist view, individual human selves are like bubbles of personal existence in an existential void; but how can there be mere bubbles of existence? Either there is existence, or there isn't. The atheist view sets up an intolerable intellectual tension, which is resolved (unstably) by means of an insane split between the public and the private. In our shared public life, which, under the influence of atheism (and an even more heartless theism), extends its reach more and more even into our private existence - as only one illustration of this, witness the vacuity of 'reality television', in which Big Brother really is watching us, and dares to do so without shame - in the shared life of this world, the individual human self is shrunk to a point, an infinitesimal, a thing without parts, each self being indistinguishable from every other self, the more we are supposed to be only individual selves. We ourselves become atoms in a void. We actually live in an outdated Newtonian, Laplacean worldview. We become what we believe we must be. We keep faith with our intellect, even unto spiritual death. Which is admirable. But it is also unbearable. And we compensate, or desperately try to compensate, in our private lives. If we do not go mad and inflate our own bubble of personal reality until it contains the world, we try to make our bubble into a world in itself - most usefully, most effectively, most easily, and most commonly by finding another such bubble of personal reality to merge with, and make other little bubbles. (P.S. I made one myself. I'm not knocking the idea!) But however many bubbles we join up with, in however many ways, we will never amount to anything more than froth.

That we are thus reduced to points is a sign that there is a dimension missing from our public view of the world.

Anything getting across yet?
0 Replies