Why I am not an atheist

Zetherin

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:16 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip wrote:
But to get where I am going, I have to start from where I am now.

Writing out what you think you mean with simpler language helps you clarify your thoughts. Start with simpler language, and then you will begin to see where you are going (if anywhere).

Quote:
I have no complaints about anything anybody else has said, even though no-one liked or understood what I wrote - that really is OK by me. It's sad and painful and tough, but I have tolerate that.

But you don't have to tolerate that. You act as if you have no choice but to write out your thoughts in a vague, obscure manner. Search for the straightforward words you think best convey the thought. Write them out. You don't even have to press "reply". Just leave the words in the text box and look at them for a few minutes. Ask yourself, "Does this make sense?" and "Could I convey this thought in a more precise or clear manner?".

You may be too infuriated right now to do so appropriately, but I'll hope to hear from you by tomorrow. And I will be here when you want to discuss something, even though you may hate me.
north

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:20 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;170877 wrote:
I'm sure this can be shot down instantly, but what the heck - who wants to live forever? I just want to know if it makes any sense to anybody. It's not intended as gospel.

The atheist has to represent in his own person the human values in which he believes. This inevitably results in one of four outcomes: (1) inflation, because of all the human values which he rightly feels called upon to contain;(2) explosion, under the pressure of all the human values which he cannot contain; (3) denial, and effectively destruction, of some or all vital human values; or (4) the only sane option, but an irrational one, which is the expulsion from his own person (and into the persons of others, whether they consent to the projection or not) of all those necessary human values which his own person cannot contain.

The theist, meanwhile, allows human values to permeate him, moving in and out, as and when they are needed. His mental skin is permeable; he knows better than to try to contain the whole human spirit. To vary the metaphor: he bends, therefore he need not break.

The theist who sees God in anthropoid form, however, is no better than the atheist; indeed, he is much worse. He takes all the defects of the atheist, multiplies them together, and projects the product into the sky. He deserves all the mud that Richard Dawkins et al. can throw at him.

And on the other hand, atheist option (4) can probably be eloquently spoken for. Something like 'the human spirit' can probably be put in place of 'God', and often with advantage. But is it any easier to believe in? In any form in which it can be believed in, does it differ detectably from 'God'?

It seems to me that if one human ego cannot contain all that needs to be contained, then neither can seven billion human egos.

It's not obvious what can contain all that needs to be contained. But then, 'God' was always more of a question than an answer.

Motto: don't strain your brain; let God take the strain.

god is strain on the brain actually , just think about whats going in the world and the attitude from god thinking people

the Human Spirit is a Spirit unto its self , Human where I belong
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171089 wrote:
Writing out what you think you mean with simpler language helps you clarify your thoughts. Start with simpler language, and then you will begin to see where you are going (if anywhere).
[...]
But you don't have to tolerate that. You act as if you have no choice but to write out your thoughts in a vague, obscure manner. Search for the straightforward words you think best convey the thought. Write them out. You don't even have to press "reply". Just leave the words in the text box and look at them for a few minutes. Ask yourself, "Does this make sense?" and "Could I convey this thought in a more precise or clear manner?".

You may be too infuriated right now to do so appropriately, but I'll hope to hear from you by tomorrow. And I will be here when you want to discuss something, even though you may hate me.

I can see you're making a sincere effort, and that already mollifies me. So let me try to explain in plain language, not what I was initially trying to discuss, but why I no longer wish to discuss that particular matter in this particular thread.

If everyone had simply said - as everyone except you (and in a different way Reconstructo) did say - "No, I'm sorry, I just don't see what you're getting at. It looks like nonsense to me, or else it's just wrong. Are you quite sure you're feeling all right?", I'd have replied, "Oh dear, that's a real pity! For a few moments there, I thought I'd managed to put a few of my vague intuitions together, just about well enough to try to have a conversation about them, at last - but apparently not yet. But don't worry, I'm feeling fine." And that would have been the end of that.

Even better, of course, if at least one person had known what I was getting at, and had thoughts of their own to offer! Because then the conversation could have continued.

But because no-one knew what I was on about, where could any energy come from for continuing the conversation? The initial attempt at communication had failed. I could perhaps regroup, and make another attempt - at another time, in another thread - but why prolong the death agonies of this one? There was simply no basis on which to continue. Better to make a fresh start.

If I'd managed to get something across, I could perhaps have built on that, used it to 'bootstrap'. But there was nothing. End of thread. (If only!)

I expect that even this explanation is not yet clear enough. But I am willing to go on with this post-mortem, this thread about a dead thread.

You see, it doesn't just depend on me. It depends on who I'm talking to. I simply don't want to talk about this to people who have no idea what even my first fumbling attempt meant, because that means that either (i) they have no intuitions similar to mine on this subject, or (ii) I am still not nearly as ready as I thought I was to even begin to try to talk about them.

If I could improve on my first, fumbling attempt, that first fumbling attempt would not have been such a complete failure.

Its obscurity was not a linguistic accident. I can be very clear and precise when I know what I am trying to say. But I wrote this article (#1 of this thread) in the same way as I write other articles. If I knew what I was trying to say this time, in the same way that I usually know what I am trying to say, it would have come out in such a way that it could be understood (even if I didn't start off the writing process knowing how it was going to come out).

And it doesn't matter where the 'blame' lies, whether it's (i) or (ii); it's the simple absence of a sympathetic listening ear that matters, not the reason for that absence.

Consider my OP as a preliminary sounding. If there's no response, I don't send out any further signals, because there's no-one there. Later, there may be someone, perhaps because I have improved my echo-sounding equipment, or I've recharged my batteries, or I'm in a different place.

Or, it's like knocking on a door. No response? Then there's no-one home. So there's no point in knocking on the door again. I know I knocked loud enough. Or at least I knocked as hard as I can. Either way, no point in knocking again - they can't all be on the lavatory, in the bath, asleep, on the telephone, or making love! Try again later, or try another door.

This is torture. :disappointed:

And I suppose it's still not clear ...
north

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:10 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;171099 wrote:
I can see you're making a sincere effort, and that already mollifies me. So let me try to explain in plain language, not what I was initially trying to discuss, but why I no longer wish to discuss that particular matter in this particular thread.

If everyone had simply said - as everyone except you (and in a different way Reconstructo) did say - "No, I'm sorry, I just don't see what you're getting at. It looks like nonsense to me, or else it's just wrong. Are you quite sure you're feeling all right?", I'd have replied, "Oh dear, that's a real pity! For a few moments there, I thought I'd managed to put a few of my vague intuitions together, just about well enough to try to have a conversation about them, at last - but apparently not yet. But don't worry, I'm feeling fine." And that would have been the end of that.

Even better, of course, if at least one person had known what I was getting at, and had thoughts of their own to offer! Because then the conversation could have continued.

But because no-one knew what I was on about, where could any energy come from for continuing the conversation? The initial attempt at communication had failed. I could perhaps regroup, and make another attempt - at another time, in another thread - but why prolong the death agonies of this one? There was simply no basis on which to continue. Better to make a fresh start.

If I'd managed to get something across, I could perhaps have built on that, used it to 'bootstrap'. But there was nothing. End of thread. (If only!)

I expect that even this explanation is not yet clear enough. But I am willing to go on with this post-mortem, this thread about a dead thread.

You see, it doesn't just depend on me. It depends on who I'm talking to. I simply don't want to talk about this to people who have no idea what even my first fumbling attempt meant, because that means that either (i) they have no intuitions similar to mine on this subject, or (ii) I am still not nearly as ready as I thought I was to even begin to try to talk about them.

If I could improve on my first, fumbling attempt, that first fumbling attempt would not have been such a complete failure.

Its obscurity was not a linguistic accident. I can be very clear and precise when I know what I am trying to say. But I wrote this article (#1 of this thread) in the same way as I write other articles. If I knew what I was trying to say this time, in the same way that I usually know what I am trying to say, it would have come out in such a way that it could be understood (even if I didn't start off the writing process knowing how it was going to come out).

And it doesn't matter where the 'blame' lies, whether it's (i) or (ii); it's the simple absence of a sympathetic listening ear that matters, not the reason for that absence.

Consider my OP as a preliminary sounding. If there's no response, I don't send out any further signals, because there's no-one there. Later, there may be someone, perhaps because I have improved my echo-sounding equipment, or I've recharged my batteries, or I'm in a different place.

Or, it's like knocking on a door. No response? Then there's no-one home. So there's no point in knocking on the door again. I know I knocked loud enough. Or at least I knocked as hard as I can. Either way, no point in knocking again - they can't all be on the lavatory, in the bath, asleep, on the telephone, or making love! Try again later, or try another door.

This is torture. :disappointed:

And I suppose it's still not clear ...

or go to my post # 42 it is clear

Humanity , the Human Spirit is above any god , as it should be

north
Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:20 pm
@north,
north;171103 wrote:
Humanity , the Human Spirit is above any god , as it should be

If the phrase "the human spirit" means anything at all, then it's part of what I am (correction: was!) trying to talk about.

Please don't quote an entire long article when posting a short reply. Snip the bits you're not replying to.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:29 pm
@Twirlip,
Thank you for that post. It did make sense.

Twirlip wrote:
I can be very clear and precise when I know what I am trying to say.

Yes, I believe you can too.

Listen, it's not wrong if you don't know what you're talking about. It happens to everyone. Sometimes that inkling of an insight, really isn't much of an insight after all. But if you wish to seek help from an online forum, I think it is best to focus on converting what you think you mean into straightforward language. And, yes, sometimes it takes some time to convert that raw, confused thought into something simple and concise, but trust me, it pays dividends.

Quote:

It's not a big deal, and I'm sure you can improve upon it. That's why I asked for clarification. But, by the same token, you must understand where I'm coming from too. This is a forum, and a philosophy forum at that. It is expected, at the least, that if you create a thread on a matter, you can at least reason out what it was you were trying to convey. I'd even be willing to hold your hand a bit (principle of charity), but you have to give me a bootstrap, give me something that I can go off of.

And if need more time, that is completely fine. Critical thinking does take time, patience, and work, and that's why most people avoid it. Clarifying thought is a skill. You can get better at it. And that practice is what I'm advocating here.
north

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:32 pm
@Twirlip,
Quote:

And on the other hand, atheist option (4) can probably be eloquently spoken for. Something like 'the human spirit' can probably be put in place of 'God', and often with advantage.
Quote:

absolutely an advantage , if only Humanity could understand this

Quote:
But is it any easier to believe in?

yes it is Natural

Quote:
In any form in which it can be believed in, does it differ detectably from 'God'?

we have , Humanity , have been so psychologically pounded by this concept of god ,( which is suppose to be above us , of which it is not )that we can't think outside the box of god

the difference between believing in Humanity or god(s) is that Humanity grows , when we believe in ourselves

we stagnate in our Human growth when we believe in god because we wait for guidence
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:04 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171108 wrote:
This is a forum, and a philosophy forum at that. It is expected, at the least, that if you create a thread on a matter, you can at least reason out what it was you were trying to convey. I'd even be willing to hold your hand a bit (principle of charity), but you have to give me a bootstrap, give me something that I can go off of.

It most certainly needed a helping hand, but the help could only have come from someone who had at least an inkling of what I was trying to say.

For instance, someone might have responded, "I don't know, I think I might have a glimmering of what you might be trying to get at here, but your use of the phrase 'human values' throws me - that just doesn't make sense in this context - what do you mean?" Perhaps they would have had to say a bit more than that, in order to convince me that something of what I meant had got through, but I could certainly see the point of that sort of questioning, and would be obliged to respond, and try to find a better choice of words than the one I had first grabbed hold of.
Zetherin;171108 wrote:
And if need more time, that is completely fine. Critical thinking does take time, patience, and work, and that's why most people avoid it. Clarifying thought is a skill. You can get better at it. And that practice is what I'm advocating here.

No, what's missing here is not a capacity for critical thinking on my part. It's all too easy for me to see inadequacies in the way I put things. But sometimes when you have hold of a fleeting thought, just for a few moments, and you glimpse the possibility of putting it into words, you just have to make a very rough first stab at it, knowing that hosts of questions are raised. This does not imply an inability to deal with questions later.

But in the absence of any interested response (again, where the 'blame' lies does not matter), there is just no point in trying to refine the communication. It failed; end of story. This attempt failed very badly. There was simply nothing that could be worked on. And merely pointing out ad nauseam that no meaning had been conveyed only created a tortuous thread about nothing! It should have died a natural death hours ago.

What I am having to think hard and painfully about now is whether an online forum, any online forum, is an appropriate place to try to express ideas which are still in a very raw, unfinished state. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I do know how to play safe, and I may well decide to go back to doing so, taking this debacle into account. But then I wonder, just as you do, what I am doing in this forum at all. I can read philosophy books on my own (and I'd have more time to do so!).
jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:06 pm
@Twirlip,
Hi Twirlip - I am in your corner, but haven't got time to really add a lot at the moment, I am supposed to be working. I will own up to being in the Theist camp, albeit from a Buddhist perspective, which puts an interesting spin on it. However I have realized that I am much more theist than atheist, mainly from talking to atheists.

Anyway, personal feelings aside, I think an undercurrent to every debate on this topic is actually concealed fear and distrust of anything spiritual. "Men despise religion" said Pascal 'because they believe it is true'. I think there is a lot in this. Behind all the polite requests to 'explain yourself clearly' - incidentally I thought you explained yourself very well - there is actually a subtle accusation, which is that because whatever-it-is-that-you-are-talking-about cannot really be known and shown, it is, therefore, irrational, certainly not scientific, and in all likelihood delusory.

I really don't think there is any way of proving anything religious by rational argument. On the other hand, unlike evangelicals, I think there are times when the numinous breaks into consciousness, by one means or another. But if you haven't had this happen, or have no kind of spiritual feeling about life, it will generally strike you as bollocks. There are plenty who will say it is.

In times past, there was a loose social consensus regarding religious belief, which is now under attack as never before. But I think the chief antagonists are exactly the kind of intellectuals you will find on a philosophy forum, althogh this particular one has an interesting balance. Why is this, one might ask.

I think an excellent answer is given by Thomas Nagel, a respected, non-religious philosopher from New York, who says in his Evolutionary Naturalism and the Fear of Religion:

Quote:
In speaking of the fear of religion, I don't mean to refer to the entirely reasonable hostility toward certain established religions and religious institutions, in virtue of their objectionable moral doctrines, social policies, and political influence. Nor am I referring to the association of many religious beliefs with superstition and the acceptance of evident empirical falsehoods. I am talking about something much deeper-namely, the fear of religion itself. I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and wellinformed people I know are religious believers. It isn't just that I don't believe in God and, naturally, hope that I'm right in my belief. It's that I hope there is no God! I don't want there to be a God; I don't want the universe to be like that.

My guess is that this cosmic authority problem is not a rare condition and that it is responsible for much of the scientism and reductionism of our time. One of the tendencies it supports is the ludicrous overuse of evolutionary biology to explain everything about life, including everything about the human mind. Darwin enabled modern secular culture to heave a great collective sigh of relief, by apparently providing a way to eliminate purpose, meaning, and design as fundamental features of the world."
From Thomas Nagel, The Last Word.

I would be interested to see if anyone feels there is anything in this.
sometime sun

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:09 pm
@Twirlip,
It is not 'why I am not an atheist'.
It is why am I not more so or less so faithful?
or even more or less religious?
There is no no God,
There is only less or more God.
God will always be there,
It is only a matter of how much or how little God there is or God there is not.
We should all grow up and accept there is no such thing as an atheist.
There is such as a non God, a God non, even drastically a non God non, but there can never be a absolute absence of God.
Denial of presence but no acceptance of absence.
There can be a deletion but absolutely no absence.
I was once an atheist (even used to preach it) and I was never more so in denial than I was then.

All roads lead toward or away from God,
there is not a picture ever without God.

Think about it discerningly, there has not nor will there ever be a picture with out god in it.
north

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:13 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;171113 wrote:
It most certainly needed a helping hand, but the help could only have come from someone who had at least an inkling of what I was trying to say.

For instance, someone might have responded, "I don't know, I think I might have a glimmering of what you might be trying to get at here, but your use of the phrase 'human values' throws me - that just doesn't make sense in this context - what do you mean?" Perhaps they would have had to say a bit more than that, in order to convince me that something of what I meant had got through, but I could certainly see the point of that sort of questioning, and would be obliged to respond, and try to find a better choice of words than the one I had first grabbed hold of.

No, what's missing here is not a capacity for critical thinking on my part. It's all too easy for me to see inadequacies in the way I put things. But sometimes when you have hold of a fleeting thought, just for a few moments, and you glimpse the possibility of putting it into words, you just have to make a very rough first stab at it, knowing that hosts of questions are raised. This does not imply an inability to deal with questions later.

But in the absence of any interested response (again, where the 'blame' lies does not matter), there is just no point in trying to refine the communication. It failed; end of story. This attempt failed very badly. There was simply nothing that could be worked on. And merely pointing out ad nauseam that no meaning had been conveyed only created a tortuous thread about nothing! It should have died a natural death hours ago.

What I am having to think hard and painfully about now is whether an online forum, any online forum, is an appropriate place to try to express ideas which are still in a very raw, unfinished state. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I do know how to play safe, and I may well decide to go back to doing so, taking this debacle into account. But then I wonder, just as you do, what I am doing in this forum at all. I can read philosophy books on my own (and I'd have more time to do so!).

you are learning

if you can't handle the the questions and critizisms of what you speak , then hide in the books where there is no one to ask what you mean , when come upon a thought or two
jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:20 pm
@Twirlip,
Postscript: I am also of the view that we are all living in the shadow of the massive traumas caused throughout European history by religious authoritarianism. Have had the living bejesus scared out of us for 10's of generations by theocrats armed with weapons of torture, and having seen the wholesale looting and destruction of great swathes of Europe in the 30 years war by armed fanatics from both sides of the schism, we have vowed that there must be another way. Which, under the circumstances, is not an unreasonable reaction.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:26 pm
@Twirlip,
jeeprs wrote:
Hi Twirlip - I am in your corner,

What corner? Segregation is exactly what we don't need, and exactly what I wanted to avoid.
north

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171120 wrote:
What corner? Segregation is exactly what we don't need, and exactly what I wanted to avoid.

agreed

and I think we can ALL agree on this statement
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:44 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;171114 wrote:
Behind all the polite requests to 'explain yourself clearly' - incidentally I thought you explained yourself very well - there is actually a subtle accusation, which is that because whatever-it-is-that-you-are-talking-about cannot really be known and shown, it is, therefore, irrational, certainly not scientific, and in all likelihood delusory.

You could knock me down with a feather! Thank you for this unexpected support, which came just as I was about to collapse into bed, feeling utterly defeated.

The only thing I wrote that I thought was reasonably clear was part of post #20, and nobody responded to that, only to my post #1, which I can't deny was a morass of undefined terms and unsupported assertions, and therefore an easy target for criticism. I'll not keep you from your work (or myself from my bed) now, but I'd like to know if anything of the metaphor or image which animated the illogical or non-logical or pseudo-logical prose of #1 got through, or whether it was the more nearly logical (but less enlivened) #20 that meant something?

(My daughter has the same image, without having had much prompting from me; she also has out-of-the-body experiences, which I've never had, and which she connected with this image of "overlapping selves"; and one of her friends at sixth form college also has a similar image. So it's not totally unheard of, although after this thread I was starting to feel virtually psychotic!)
jeeprs;171114 wrote:
In times past, there was a loose social consensus regarding religious belief, which is now under attack as never before.

My post #20 was meant to sketch how I imagined such a consensus could, and should, still exist. I don't really care too much about whether the "inner world" is called "God" or "Mind" or "Spirit" or something else (there seem to be arguments for and against these and all other terms) - just so long as it isn't constantly necessary to argue about its existence, just as it isn't necessary to argue about the existence of the "outer world", only about what it's like. (I can go quite a long way with the "option (4)" form of atheism, although I think there is a substantial disagreement.)
jeeprs;171114 wrote:
I think an excellent answer is given by Thomas Nagel, a respected, non-religious philosopher from New York, who says in his Evolutionary Naturalism and the Fear of Religion:

From Thomas Nagel, The Last Word.

I would be interested to see if anyone feels there is anything in this.

I liked the quotation very much; and his feeling of not wanting there to be a God, and not wanting the universe to be like that, is one I not only remember very well, but still feel in many ways (too complex and confusing for me to try to enumerate or describe, especially after having gone down in flames already in this thread!); and in relation to certain anthropomorphic conceptions of God, I am still as much an atheist as I ever was.

I particularly liked his description of the overuse of evolutionary biology to 'explain' everything as "ludicrous". I must read that Mary Midgley book, Evolution as a Religion. And I'd better read Dawkins (on evolution, not on religion) as well. I get very cross with people who deny the existence of evolution by natural selection (horrifying though it is). Another way in which I'm still, almost, a good atheist. :shifty:
Zetherin

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:52 pm
@Twirlip,
jeeprs wrote:
Behind all the polite requests to 'explain yourself clearly' - incidentally I thought you explained yourself very well - there is actually a subtle accusation, which is that because whatever-it-is-that-you-are-talking-about cannot really be known and shown, it is, therefore, irrational, certainly not scientific, and in all likelihood delusory.

You always think that. But that's not the case. You consistently make this a spiritual vs. X debate. It's really tiring.
Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:53 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;171115 wrote:
I was once an atheist (even used to preach it) and I was never more so in denial than I was then.

That is also true of me. However, we must admit that just because a certain form of atheism is false, and/or involves denial, it doesn't follow that no form of atheism is true. (After all, I believe that many forms of theism are false, even though I'm some sort of theist.) I do pretty much believe that no form of atheism is true, but I am not yet sufficiently free of my own former denial of reality to be on very firm ground for saying so. I'm trying (only as a side-issue, not as a main concern) to put together some sort of critique of atheism, but I'm under no illusion that I have one yet.

(Damn, this is a late night!)
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:53 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;171123 wrote:
I must read that Mary Midgley book, Evolution as a Religion. And I'd better read Dawkins (on evolution, not on religion) as well. I get very cross with people who deny the existence of evolution by natural selection (horrifying though it is). Another way in which I'm still, almost, a good atheist. :shifty:

Midgely is very good, albeit with a rather schoolmarmish writing style.

I personally think Dawkin's pop sci efforts are starting to look rather dated actually. I think the Selfish Gene, insofar as it is a kind of evolutionary atomism, is actually not going to stand up in the long run. It is already clear that something on a different level to molecular genetics is pulling a lot of strings. I am reading Sheldrake's The Presence of the Past and Simon Conway Morris Life's Solution at the moment. They are both very interesting alternative views to Dawkins.
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:56 pm
@north,
north;171116 wrote:
you are learning

if you can't handle the the questions and critizisms of what you speak , then hide in the books where there is no one to ask what you mean , when come upon a thought or two

I don't think I've ever seen a single interesting or useful post from you in this forum.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:12 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;171128 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a single interesting or useful post from you in this forum.

Please don't think I'm abusing my moderator status, because I'm not. I would say this whether I was a moderator or not. But come on, do you really think that was needed? And jeeprs, why did you thank that post? As a senior member, I wouldn't think you would advocate such insults.

Let's all take a break and regroup, guys. Cool our heads a bit and try to have a rational discussion later.

And North, if you see this, please do the mature thing and don't insult back.