God's Evolving/Split Personality??

3k1yp2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:06 pm
I have read the entirety of the Holy Bible in three translations. (NASB, NKJV, and another older translation) as i mentioned in another thread, i was actually a christian (raised that way) until i read the full bible as suggested by my mom. (to improve my behaviour/ character). Now i am atheist, but i still like the topic of religion in general. What im wondering is, why does the god in the old testament seem fundamentally different from the God in the New Testament? (i mean no disrespect by neglecting to capitalise stuff, its just how i type.) any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,957 • Replies: 22
No top replies

prothero

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:44 am
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;119519 wrote:
I have read the entirety of the Holy Bible in three translations. (NASB, NKJV, and another older translation) as i mentioned in another thread, i was actually a christian (raised that way) until i read the full bible as suggested by my mom. (to improve my behaviour/ character). Now i am atheist, but i still like the topic of religion in general. What im wondering is, why does the god in the old testament seem fundamentally different from the God in the New Testament? (i mean no disrespect by neglecting to capitalise stuff, its just how i type.) any thoughts?
Well the bible is a human not a divine product and it reflects mans changing conception of the divine. God in the old testament is a tribal warrior god. God in the new testament is more a universal loving god. The two images of god as lawgiver, ruler and judge versus loving father and savior are still in conflict in the Christian faith. Jesus tended to emphasize love over law, inner sprituality over external piety and distributive and social justice over personal salvation.

The New testament is more the view of a loving personal god over that of a vengeful, judgmental ruler (if you leave revelations out that is).
Either God is a bipolar schizophrenic or our human view of god is conflicted and distorted (the latter I think).
Certainly our views of god or gods evolve and change. I think if there is a meaningful conception of god, god would take in the experience of the world and therefore god would be changed as well (process theology).
Krumple

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:07 am
@prothero,
prothero;119578 wrote:
Well the bible is a human not a divine product and it reflects mans changing conception of the divine. God in the old testament is a tribal warrior god. God in the new testament is more a universal loving god. The two images of god as lawgiver, ruler and judge versus loving father and savior are still in conflict in the Christian faith. Jesus tended to emphasize love over law, inner sprituality over external piety and distributive and social justice over personal salvation.

The New testament is more the view of a loving personal god over that of a vengeful, judgmental ruler (if you leave revelations out that is).
Either God is a bipolar schizophrenic or our human view of god is conflicted and distorted (the latter I think).
Certainly our views of god or gods evolve and change. I think if there is a meaningful conception of god, god would take in the experience of the world and therefore god would be changed as well (process theology).

I appologise if I seem like a troll. I'm not following you around seriously here but I can't help but notice something with your response.

Basically what you are saying is that as people change, they change their definition of what god is. Is that correct? Well can we go a little further and ask the question, is it that god exists? Or is it that we humans are inventing god existence?

The reason the question is valid is because in the old testament people would make life choices and even kill in the name of that god's existence. To even question that gods existence might earn you a death sentence. But now you are saying, that idea has been ratified. That god doesn't actually exist like that god portrayed. He is not vengeful he is loving. Well how can you be certain that this newer definition is any more accurate than the older?

To me it is quite clear, we are inventing god's existence. When we change, we change god's existence to fall into line with our new life style.

When the day comes that war is abolished and never happens, we will look back at the wars in the bible and say it was not god who caused those wars because our god doesn't make wars. That is absurd because it is clearly written that he brought wars upon nations.
3k1yp2

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:07 am
@prothero,
prothero;119578 wrote:

well, i don't really believe in God, so he can't, in my opinion, be a bipolar schizophrenic if he doesn't exist. So i guess my real question is how believers can reconcile that their God is a seemingly bipolar schizophrenic? :perplexed: And if its not god, then the bible must be convoluted because it was written by people, and if its so convoluted because of people, then how much of the bible can you believe to be true and not messed up by people?:poke-eye:
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:48 am
@Krumple,
Hi 3k1yp2! I am another person who was raised a Christian but was surprised and confused by what I found in the Bible. For a number of reasons, I still believe the basics (as I see them) of Christianity, but I can assure it is not because I think it all makes plain sense. I have asked the same hard question about the Bible, and the God represented in it, many times. Of course, it's not hard to explain the seeming discrepancy if you don't believe any of it to start with, but I don't have that luxury, so I have attempted to understand through my worldview. I still don't have a full answer that satisfies me. But, I think I might have a few thoughts to contribute to this discussion.

The best way I have come to see it is through a loose application of Kohlberg's theory of the Stages of Moral Development, which looks at what moral or ethical principles motivate individuals. (Wiki article) The theory, as I understand it, assumes that infants start with essentially no moral/ethical understanding, but progress through similar stages on their way to moral maturity. He breaks this progression down into 6 stages, which are grouped in pair into 3 major levels.

The first level (called Pre-Conventional) is essentially based on fear of punishment and desire of reward, and little understanding beyond that. {If I get what I want, it is Good; if I get what I don't want, it is Bad.} The second major level (Conventional) is based on "fitting in" and an internalizing of the rules that they have been taught. {If the rules say it's good, then it's Good; if the rules say it's bad, then it's Bad} The third major level (Post-conventional) has to do with an understanding of a social contract, and the internalizing of the principles behind the rules. {Personal conscience, with the good of society in mind, decides what is Good or Bad.}

On point that I think is important, is that while you can help a child move from one stage to another, you must interact with them on their own level. You can't appeal to the "good of society" when a two year old is screaming in a restaurant. You can offer a treat or threaten a time-out, but you simply have to interact on their level for them to understand you. And eventually, they will grow in their understanding and move up the stages.

Also, not everyone manages to reach high levels on this scale. Some adults, for various reasons, whether personal or societal, may not move beyond the first stages their entire lives. I also think that the same can be true of cultures in a larger scale. I think cultures/societies start "low" but can move "up" through these stages. Here's a quote from another website where they were looking at how "universal" this sequence of 6 stages is:
Quote:
Kohlberg, then, proposes that his stage sequence will be the same in all cultures, for each stage is conceptually more advanced than the next. He and other researchers have given his interview to children and adults in a variety of cultures, including Mexico, Taiwan, Turkey, Israel, the Yucatan, Kenya, the Bahamas, and India. Most of the studies have been cross sectional, but a few have been longitudinal. Thus far, the studies have supported Kohlberg's stage sequence. To the extent that children move through the stages, they appear to move in order (Edwards, 1980).

At the same time, people in different cultures seem to move through the sequence at different rates and to reach different end-points. In the United States most urban middle-class adults reach stage 4, with a small percentage using some stage 5 reasoning. In urban areas of other countries the picture is fairly similar. In the isolated villages and tribal communities of many countries, however, it is rare to find any adult beyond stage 3 (Edwards, 1980).
I think it is popular to assume that the moral/ethical values that we hold (mostly) in common in our society are simply intrinsic to humanity in general and individuals in particular. Although the moral potential is there, I think people and cultures need to be trained to achieve the kind of moral and ethical beliefs that we in the West so often assume are the natural property of each individual. It would probably be humbling to find out just how "moral" any of us would be if it were not for outside influences.

Anyhow, back to topic... With all this in mind, I tend to see the Bible, and God's interaction with the Jewish people (and later the Church), as a large scale version of individual moral development. The picture would be of God raising a child, interacting on the child's level of understanding, all the while with a greater end goal in mind. For me this can be seen in the simple promise of punishment and reward in the law, the call to internalize the law in the later Old Testament, and the call to principled action in the New Testament. Of course that's somewhat simplistic, but for me, much of the discrepancy can at least begin to be understood through those terms.

It still seems unfathomable that a God who cares as much about the individual as is described in the New Testament, could make such sweeping and seemingly callous punishments as we see in the Old Testament. But, thats the best I can do at the moment. And when I think about the way my parents treated me as a child, it is very different than the way they treat me now. It seemed harsh at the time, but I believe it brought about a better end. As a Christian, I can only hope that in light of the full history of mankind, things would look the same.

I hope that was intelligible, and added something useful.
-Luke
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:29 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;119584 wrote:
Basically what you are saying is that as people change, they change their definition of what god is. Is that correct? Well can we go a little further and ask the question, is it that god exists? Or is it that we humans are inventing god existence? .
If you want to assert that religion is a human creation and that conceptions of god are human conceptions, I will not argue with you.

The question of wheter there is any actuality or reality that in any way corresponds to the human notion of the divine, the scared, the holy, the numinous, is a different matter.

Most sophisticated theists are well aware of the changing nature of human conceptions of god over time and in history. I would argue our concecptions of everythingl of nature, of man, of science all change over time and yet we do not question whether these other things exist. The fact that our notions and conceptions of god change does not imply that there is no reality whatsover in mans seeking after the divine; only that our knowledge of the sacred is imperfect and incomplete as is our knowledge of everything else.

The bible and religion is a human product. They are an effort to seek purpose and meaning in the world, to reject the notion that nature is blind indifference. The real divide between theism and atheism is the notion of ultimate meaning and purpose in the world, not any particular religion or sacred writing.

These threads are invariably started by individuals who have already decided there is no god, baiting theists to respond and then claiming to be a true theist one must accept the supernatural and anthropomorphic conception of the divine, and regard the bible or some other sacred text as literal truth instead of man seeking.
Krumple

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:50 pm
@prothero,
prothero;119767 wrote:
The bible and religion is a human product. They are an effort to seek purpose and meaning in the world, to reject the notion that nature is blind indifference. The real divide between theism and atheism is the notion of ultimate meaning and purpose in the world, not any particular religion or sacred writing.

But what if the universe really and truly IS indifferent? If that is the reality of our reality, then seeking the divine for purpose or meaning would be an act of denial of reality.

My personal feelings is that I feel the universe is indifferent and cares absolutely nothing for me even though this planet has formed that supports my existence, I know that at any moment some cosmological event could take that support away. I have no problem with that and I don't feel the need to make myself feel better about it. I don't need the universe to care about me. If anything the universe would probably be better off without me messing it up.

Oh and yes, I do have the power to mess up the universe.

On a side note, I did find some humorous parallel with christian dogma and cosmology.

The sun did have to die to give us life.

That is why we all should worship the sun.
prothero

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:55 pm
@Krumple,
[QUOTE=Krumple;119775] But what if the universe really and truly IS indifferent? If that is the reality of our reality, then seeking the divine for purpose or meaning would be an act of denial of reality. [/QUOTE] I may be wrong, you may be right. The point is that it is not a matter of science, of reason, or of education but a matter of feeling. It is a choice about worldviews.

[QUOTE=Krumple;119775] My personal feelings is that I feel the universe is indifferent and cares absolutely nothing for me even though this planet has formed that supports my existence, I know that at any moment some cosmological event could take that support away. I have no problem with that and I don't feel the need to make myself feel better about it. I don't need the universe to care about me. If anything the universe would probably be better off without me messing it up. . [/QUOTE] I on the other hand feel the universe tends towards order, complexity, life, mind and experience. The universe is rationally intelligible, creative and enchanted. I do not see this as evidence of the universe as blind, purposeless indifference. It is a matter of perspective. What do you gain from the notion of purposeless indifference?
Krumple

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:49 pm
@prothero,
prothero;119812 wrote:
I may be wrong, you may be right. The point is that it is not a matter of science, of reason, or of education but a matter of feeling. It is a choice about worldviews.

I have no problem with choice of worldview, but at the same time I think all believers should also accept my own worldview and not demonize me for it.

prothero;119812 wrote:

The universe is rationally intelligible, creative and enchanted. I do not see this as evidence of the universe as blind, purposeless indifference. It is a matter of perspective. What do you gain from the notion of purposeless indifference?

Purposeless indifference is absolute freedom in my opinion. Why? Because I have as that ability to give myself purpose. Rather than be designed for a purpose, I can have my own. Those who are theists and believe they were created for serving a god, are locked into a purpose and anything else they want to do with their existence gives them grief and guilt. They put forth this purpose ahead of their own existence. That to me sounds more like bondage. I don't want my purpose to be, god's play doll.

prothero;119812 wrote:

I on the other hand feel the universe tends towards order, complexity, life, mind and experience.

I feel just the opposite. I don't think the universe is so orderly. The current most widely accept model of our universe is one that the universe will continue to expand to the point where it is expanding so fast that the space between the atoms will start to become stretched. This stretch will ultimately pull the atomic bonds apart and destroy atoms. Our future if this theory is correct will be no future at all. Atoms wont even be able to exist because the space will not support their existence. Would you call that favoring order, or supporting life? I wouldn't.
[/COLOR]
3k1yp2

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:42 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;119864 wrote:
I have no problem with choice of worldview, but at the same time I think all believers should also accept my own worldview and not demonize me for it.

Purposeless indifference is absolute freedom in my opinion. Why? Because I have as that ability to give myself purpose. Rather than be designed for a purpose, I can have my own. Those who are theists and believe they were created for serving a god, are locked into a purpose and anything else they want to do with their existence gives them grief and guilt. They p:shocked:ut forth this purpose ahead of their own existence. That to me sounds more like bondage. I don't want my purpose to be, god's play doll.

[/COLOR]

Your statements about purpose (although they sound a little colder than you probably meant) remind me of something someone scribbled on a desk at my school. "utter pointlessness is utter freedom" i don't know if this desk-scribbler made it up or quoted someone else, but it struck me as being quite profound. It is true, and maybe a little scary when you think about it, not being bound to fulfilling some predecribed purpose. But then utter freedom is in itself just a little scary...
Kielicious

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:21 pm
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;120038 wrote:
Your statements about purpose (although they sound a little colder than you probably meant) remind me of something someone scribbled on a desk at my school. "utter pointlessness is utter freedom" i don't know if this desk-scribbler made it up or quoted someone else, but it struck me as being quite profound. It is true, and maybe a little scary when you think about it, not being bound to fulfilling some predecribed purpose. But then utter freedom is in itself just a little scary...

That scribbler does seem to have some profound ideas.

If someone were to say to me that the universe is made for our purpose, or some kind of purpose, as opposed to the universe being indifferent, it would seem like the right move to say that the universe will eventually yield to its ultimate heat death -- but perhaps the more appropriate question I would ask would be intended to the professor him/herself. After all, are you seeing order because there really is order, or are you simply seeing what you want to see? Usually, if you answer that honestly you will find latter is correct and one searches everywhere for it to be confirmed.
3k1yp2

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 11:39 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;120055 wrote:
That scribbler does seem to have some profound ideas.

If someone were to say to me that the universe is made for our purpose, or some kind of purpose, as opposed to the universe being indifferent, it would seem like the right move to say that the universe will eventually yield to its ultimate heat death -- but perhaps the more appropriate question I would ask would be intended to the professor him/herself. After all, are you seeing order because there really is order, or are you simply seeing what you want to see? Usually, if you answer that honestly you will find latter is correct and one searches everywhere for it to be confirmed.

well, to deny the fact that the prevalence of order is rather uncanny, but the fact that there is a lot of order,(especially in nature) it doesn't mean that the order means anything. It could very well just be that order is necessary , like lets say the fact that oranges are nearly perfect spheres and in sections. Maybe oranges just survive better that way. There is a certain way that things operate. There is obvious order in what part of the universe(s) we know about, but that doesn't necessarily have any particularly significant impact on mankind or myself in particular. Let oranges behave like oranges and let me behave as i am wont to do. I don't know if i articulated that as well as it makes sense in my head, but i hope it makes sense...
prothero

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:58 am
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;120072 wrote:
well, to deny the fact that the prevalence of order is rather uncanny, but the fact that there is a lot of order,(especially in nature) it doesn't mean that the order means anything. It could very well just be that order is necessary , like lets say the fact that oranges are nearly perfect spheres and in sections. Maybe oranges just survive better that way. There is a certain way that things operate. There is obvious order in what part of the universe(s) we know about, but that doesn't necessarily have any particularly significant impact on mankind or myself in particular. Let oranges behave like oranges and let me behave as i am wont to do. I don't know if i articulated that as well as it makes sense in my head, but i hope it makes sense...

He does not see the order or the purpose.
You seem to see the order but not the purpose.
I see both order and purpose.
Where does science, reason, logic, experience or philosophy enter into those different prespectives at all?
We are all blind men trying to understand the same elephant.
To some extent reality is observer dependent and some humility is called for?
Kielicious

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:51 am
@prothero,
prothero;120085 wrote:

Do you?

That is the question, and I would think someone in your position would want confirmation right? Not just apparent order, and not just relying on a gut feeling, right? So the question I posed should be one of the first things you indeed ask yourself. After all, why wouldnt you? Looking for evidence in support, dont you want accurate results? Dont you want that confirmation? Because asking questions like that (i.e. eliminating bias) is what you, I, and everyone else should be doing... and that is exactly what science does. So is this something you just want to be true, or is it really true? If its really true then, since science doesnt care what the results are, you should be able to find it.

---------- Post added 01-15-2010 at 01:57 AM ----------

3k1yp2;120072 wrote:

There may very well be an innate force in nature that conforms to order rather than disorder but I am uncertain for now. Currently, I am just under the thermodynamics umbrella, which tells us that closed systems go from order to disorder. So, by metaphor, if you tell me its raining I may be unble to feel it, but I can certainly see it if its shown to me...
3k1yp2

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:07 am
@prothero,
prothero;120085 wrote:
He does not see the order or the purpose.
You seem to see the order but not the purpose.
Where does science, reason, logic, experience or philosophy enter into those different prespectives at all?
We are all blind men trying to understand the same elephant.
To some extent reality is observer dependent and some humility is called for?

perhaps i see no purpose because i truly don't believe that there is a purpose, and do not wish to see any purpose because that purpose would limit me, enslave me, and rob me of my freedom. i usually live by the words of the scribbler =)
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:56 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;120109 wrote:
Do you?
That is the question, and I would think someone in your position would want confirmation right? Not just apparent order, and not just relying on a gut feeling, right? So the question I posed should be one of the first things you indeed ask yourself. After all, why wouldnt you? Looking for evidence in support, dont you want accurate results? Dont you want that confirmation? Because asking questions like that (i.e. eliminating bias) is what you, I, and everyone else should be doing... and that is exactly what science does. So is this something you just want to be true, or is it really true? If its really true then, since science doesnt care what the results are, you should be able to find it....
Science within its realm (the objective or measurable properties of physical objects) is a formidable and powerful tool. Science however offers us only a limited and partial view of total or acutual reality as we experience it and does not deal with purposes, values and aesthetics at all. You will find no purposes in science. The realm of spirit or of god can not be confirmed by science. The best one can hope for is that a particular concpetion of divine purpose or ultimate meaning does not conflict with science. Science tells me how to build an atomic weapon not whether and how it should be used (for example). You will get no confirmation of god and of purposes from science but then you should not expect them either.

The philosophy of religion is not a branch of science but an exercise in reasoned speculation. You of course are entitled to your metaphysical assumptions as long as you understand that those who disagree with you do not necessarily do so from a lack of understanding of the issues.
The most fundamental theistic notion is one of order and purpose in the universe. That view still dominates even in the age of reason and of science. That is not to argue for a supernatural or anthropomorphic conception of the divine, for those views I would agree lack coherence in the modern world.
Kielicious

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:41 am
@prothero,
prothero;120668 wrote:
Science within its realm (the objective or measurable properties of physical objects) is a formidable and powerful tool. Science however offers us only a limited and partial view of total or acutual reality as we experience it and does not deal with purposes, values and aesthetics at all. You will find no purposes in science. The realm of spirit or of god can not be confirmed by science. The best one can hope for is that a particular concpetion of divine purpose or ultimate meaning does not conflict with science. Science tells me how to build an atomic weapon not whether and how it should be used (for example). You will get no confirmation of god and of purposes from science but then you should not expect them either.

The philosophy of religion is not a branch of science but an exercise in reasoned speculation. You of course are entitled to your metaphysical assumptions as long as you understand that those who disagree with you do not necessarily do so from a lack of understanding of the issues.
The most fundamental theistic notion is one of order and purpose in the universe. That view still dominates even in the age of reason and of science. That is not to argue for a supernatural or anthropomorphic conception of the divine, for those views I would agree lack coherence in the modern world.

I remember hearing a quote from Kasparov a long time ago. Someone asked him, "Is chess a sport, art, or science?" He replied, "All three." Normally, I would respond to claims that science doesnt deal with purpose or value (because they most certainly do), instead I want to get to the heart of the matter. I want to know if you ask yourself if you are just attributing these things to reality and they may not in fact exist (i.e. confirmation). If you have then what are your reasons for support and how did you go about doing this? (i.e. what method did you use?)
prothero

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:50 pm
@Kielicious,
[QUOTE=Kielicious;120750] I remember hearing a quote from Kasparov a long time ago. Someone asked him, "Is chess a sport, art, or science?" He replied, "All three." [/QUOTE]
A good quote, I like it, human behavior is never simple.

[QUOTE=Kielicious;120750] Normally, I would respond to claims that science doesnt deal with purpose or value (because they most certainly do), [/QUOTE] Please start a thread because I find science a rather shallow source of aesthetics,morals and values.

[QUOTE=Kielicious;120750] instead I want to get to the heart of the matter. I want to know if you ask yourself if you are just attributing these things to reality and they may not in fact exist (i.e. confirmation). [/QUOTE] You mean am I certain or can I prove my position to others? No, and I did not claim I could; but neither can it be proven that the universe has no purpose, and the notion that the universe is lawful and ordered is somewhat central to the notion of science.. I could be wrong and I freely admit it, I do not find the notion that the universe is blind pitiless indifference to be illogical or unscientific (of course it's not scientific either) but just sort of personally (for me) distasteful and uninspiring.
I like Robert Langdon's "Faith is a gift I have yet to receive" or
Soren Kierkegaard's "The leap of faith" or
Woody Allen's "If I have to choose between truth and god, I will choose god, and have a better life for it".

[QUOTE=Kielicious;120750] If you have then what are your reasons for support and how did you go about doing this? (i.e. what method did you use?) [/QUOTE] We all make assumptions (metaphysical and philosophical assumptions) which cannot be proven using the scientific method and use them as a guide to living. We all construct a worldview which is more comprehensive than what sense experience or science tells us. The trick is that that worldview should not directly conflict with experience or science not that it must be confirmed by it.
Do you have free will? Can you prove it" one way or the other
Does the universe have a purpose?
Where do morals come from?
Is there a god?
Do I love my wife?
Are Bach and Mozart great composers?
Is there life after death?
Are roses beautiful?
God and faith are not scientific questions and science neither confirms them nor disproves them. These are not matters of intellect, education or reason., I respect your position, I just choose not to adopt it. The real question here is do you respect mine? My conception of god is neither supernatural nor anthropomorphic.
Krumple

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:13 pm
@prothero,
prothero;120919 wrote:
Please start a thread because I find science a rather shallow source of aesthetics,morals and values.

Interesting, because I could say the same about religion.

But to respond to your comment about the bomb. In reality those who were actually working on the science of it, were fairly neutral. Even after Einstein realized it was possible to actually create the atomic bomb, he made greivences about the implications it could have on humanity. But remind you, that he also felt justified for the work because the threat of hitler obtaining the atomic knowledge first would have been a greater evil in his opinion.

The part that you completely ignore is that EVERYTHING is dualistic in nature, not just science, but religion and anything pertaining to our reality. Take for instance money. The unit of exchange can technically be used for good or bad. So why are you not demonizing money and refusing to use it? You sure like to demonize science for it's potential to cause harm, so why not stop using everything science has provided for you? If it is so morally inept why support it with using it's fruits? Are you not supporting the evil of science by continuing to use it?
prothero

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:47 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;120920 wrote:
Interesting, because I could say the same about religion.

But to respond to your comment about the bomb. In reality those who were actually working on the science of it, were fairly neutral. Even after Einstein realized it was possible to actually create the atomic bomb, he made greivences about the implications it could have on humanity. But remind you, that he also felt justified for the work because the threat of hitler obtaining the atomic knowledge first would have been a greater evil in his opinion.

The part that you completely ignore is that EVERYTHING is dualistic in nature, not just science, but religion and anything pertaining to our reality. Take for instance money. The unit of exchange can technically be used for good or bad. So why are you not demonizing money and refusing to use it? You sure like to demonize science for it's potential to cause harm, so why not stop using everything science has provided for you? If it is so morally inept why support it with using it's fruits? Are you not supporting the evil of science by continuing to use it?
But you misunderstand and misquote me. I said science (in particular the scientific method) was purpose and value neutral. Science is not evil. On the whole science is a great source of information about our universe. Science like any powerful tool can be put to the purpose of good or the purpose of evil (assuming one is not a moral nihilist) but that is not the fault or concern of science only of the humans who employ it. I love science.